HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens 25 top players (25th anniversary edition)

Old
02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

vCash: 500
Sens 25 top players (25th anniversary edition)

I'm sure there will be some of your favourite players missed, but what can you do ???

No Stone or Hoffman yet!

http://www.sens25.com/anniversaryteam/

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 09:03 AM
edguy

Wouldve liked Stone on there, but everyone who is there 100% deserves to be there

edguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 09:48 AM
SpezzaNoLookDropPass

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy View Post
Wouldve liked Stone on there, but everyone who is there 100% deserves to be there
Heatley?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 09:52 AM
edguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezzaNoLookDropPass View Post
Heatley?
When he was here he was a beast. I mean he left on bad terms, but by play only 100% he deserves to be here.

Old
02-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Chip Chipperson

Godamn look at that jersey on Duchesne. It's like he's wearing a Tux to a pajama party. Beautiful.

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 10:08 AM
danielpalfredsson

Way too skewed to the "Good old days". You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette had a more impactful run on the Senators than Mark Stone who has played Selke level hockey while being either or very close to our top point producer at forward over the last three years?

Vermette had one really productive season in Ottawa. His 05-07 numbers are skewed because guys were scoring 120 points, so 39 points back then is bottom 6 production.

You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly is a bigger deal than Mike Hoffman who has been the Sens top goal scorer for 3 years?

danielpalfredsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
edguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
Way too skewed to the "Good old days". You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly or Antoine Vermette had a more impactful run on the Senators than Mark Stone who has played Selke level hockey while being either or very close to our top point producer at forward over the last three years?

Vermette had one really productive season in Ottawa. His 05-07 numbers are skewed because guys were scoring 120 points, so 39 points back then is bottom 6 production.

You're gonna tell me Chris Kelly is a bigger deal than Mike Hoffman who has been the Sens top goal scorer for 3 years?
I agree there is a history bias here. But thats true all throughout hockey with these sort of things for the most part.
All the players listed were/are great players in the sens organization.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Stone has played 2 seasons for us.

He'll easily be top 5 if he plays his career with us... but for now he's not on the list.

It also seems to be a fan vote so guys who were with us in the "glory" days of being a contender will likely rate higher (Neil, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly)

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:22 AM
jbeck5

This list is brutal.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the list.

So it's not "best players to play for sens" but "longest serving senators"?

Or else we'd see Hasek, straka,demitra,bondra, gonchar etc if it was best players to put on a sens jersey.

If it was best players to play a long time on the sens guys like mceachern and white and stone with top line and 60+ point seasons would make it over Neil.

Neil was never a top 10 player for us in one year, so the fact he's in the top 25 all time is laughable.

Overall terrible list because I can't figure out what they're basing it on

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

Take Neil and Kelly out and add Hoffman/Turris and Stone. Done

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:24 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether Prodigy View Post
Stone has played 2 seasons for us.

He'll easily be top 5 if he plays his career with us... but for now he's not on the list.

It also seems to be a fan vote so guys who were with us in the "glory" days of being a contender will likely rate higher (Neil, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly)
So being a 4th liner for several years is more impactful than being a first liner for a few years? I don't think so. Not in a "greatest xx" list.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
So being a 4th liner for several years is more impactful than being a first liner for a few years? I don't think so. Not in a "greatest xx" list.
The average fan loves Chris Neil

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Engineer

"to celebrate the Ottawa Senators 25th anniversary, the duty of appointing the #Sens25 team was handed to the fans. Leading up to #Sens25, fans voted to determine the franchise team that consists of 12 forwards, six defencemen and two goaltenders. Voting concluded at the end of December 2016."

Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post

Its worth remembering a guy like Vermette was behind some very good players. His production could have been much higher had he been a first liner or even a regular 2nd liner. First year in columbus as a top liner he scored 27 goals and 65 points

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
jbeck5

Maybe the list is money earned and that's why Neil and Phillips are so high up. Because we kept giving them multi million contracts after their prime so they could make this list.

I know people will probably jump on me for the Phillips comment because he's been with us for long...But that being said, he's never been a top defenseman for us.

Back in the day we'd swap him for a forward. And then after that we still gave more ice time to guys like duchesne, kravchuk, redden, York... Even in Phillip's prime he was a #3 or #4 behind Chara, redden, and maybe volchenkov depending on your preference. And then guys like gonchar too.

He's never been one of our better defenseman yet is on the list when guys who were ahead of him in the depth chart for their total time here spanning over several seasons are nowhere to be found for the list.

I'd rather have Crosby for 5 years than Darren maccarty for 20. Yet this list would put maccarty ahead because of time played.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Sensinitis

Looks good!

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 11:33 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether Prodigy View Post
The average fan loves Chris Neil
Do they like him or think he's a good hockey player?

Is this poll asking who's the most liked or who's the best?

Old
02-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Do they like him or think he's a good hockey player?

Is this poll asking who's the most liked or who's the best?
If I'm building an All-Time best Sens team, Neil is on it, regardless of how good he is right now.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:48 AM
JD1

I don't get the Neil hate here. There are many roles on hockey teams and Chris Neil has been one of the best in the league in his role for a very very long time.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensinitis View Post
If I'm building an All-Time best Sens team, Neil is on it, regardless of how good he is right now.
Really? "ALL-TIME BEST"? I'm not misunderstanding those words. Best to ever play with the sens?

Heatley-Spezza-alfredsson
Bondra-Yashin-Kovalev
Hossa-demitra-Stone
Hoffman-straka-havlat

Just missed the cut: turris, bonk, stillman, McEachern, Smolinski, Prospal, white, foligno, vermette, fisher, Juneau, arvedson, schaefer, kelly, michalek, macarthur

Karlsson-chara
redden-gonchar
Duschesne-Phaneuf

Just missed the cut: Phillips, volchenkov, Kuba, Methot, mciver, york, karvchuk

Hasek
Barrasso

Just missed the cut: Tuggnutt, rhodes, lalime, anderson

That would be my opinion of the "best all time roster collected of guys who played for the sens"

Then if you care about time with the sens, you can take out hasek and barrasso and replace them with anderson and lalime.
Take out no one on D because they all played the better part of multiple seasons. Maybe phaneuf for phillips but not for long once phaneuf plays more as hes the higher ranking defenseman all time)
Take out bondra, demitra, straka and replace them with 3 of turris,bonk, smolinski, stillman, prospal or mceachern.

Old
02-04-2017, 12:55 PM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

Agreed with JBeck. It should be a measure of accumulation of performance over the years, some sort of career WAR if you will. This will help eliminate superstars who didn't play long enough with the Sens (Hasek), and players who just benefited from longevity with the team (Phillips, Kelly). In that case, these are some of the obvious ones in my book:

Alfie, Yashin, Karlsson, Spezza, Redden, Chara, Stone, Hossa, Lalime, Anderson, Heatley, Bonk, Turris, Methot, Havlat, Fisher.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Sensinitis

That's fine if you would build ur team that way, but mine would surely have prime Neil as the 4th line RW.

Also you don't seem to be taking in consideration the level the players had with Ottawa, i.e Bondra, Kovalev, Demitra, etc.

Old
02-04-2017, 01:30 PM
MVP Tom Pyatt
Tommy P

vCash: 50
Heater. What a beauty.

MVP Tom Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

25 top patches

Perhaps we should have a top 25 patches comp.

Missing from the list is some old original patches (Worlds Champions), etc.. and this years 25th Anny patch!

Last edited by Back In Black: 02-04-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Maybe the list is money earned and that's why Neil and Phillips are so high up. Because we kept giving them multi million contracts after their prime so they could make this list.

I know people will probably jump on me for the Phillips comment because he's been with us for long...But that being said, he's never been a top defenseman for us.

Back in the day we'd swap him for a forward. And then after that we still gave more ice time to guys like duchesne, kravchuk, redden, York... Even in Phillip's prime he was a #3 or #4 behind Chara, redden, and maybe volchenkov depending on your preference. And then guys like gonchar too.

He's never been one of our better defenseman yet is on the list when guys who were ahead of him in the depth chart for their total time here spanning over several seasons are nowhere to be found for the list.

I'd rather have Crosby for 5 years than Darren maccarty for 20. Yet this list would put maccarty ahead because of time played.
Phillips/Volchenkov was straight up our #1 pairing when we went to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Phillips is undoubtably one of the top 6 defencemen in franchise history. There is no doubt or argument.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote