HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should we do to replace Methot?

View Poll Results: Which Option?
Sign a UFA 48 41.74%
Make a Trade 21 18.26%
Replace Internally 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2017, 02:25 AM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
What should we do to replace Methot?

Discuss.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 02:32 AM
Super Cake

vCash: 804
Here is my plan to get Methot back:

1. Find the time infinity stone
2. Go back in time
3. Do something that prevents Vegas from choosing Methot
4. ?????????
5. Profit.

In all seriousness, i hope Dorion at least attempts to replace Methot through either trade or free agency.

Super Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
We should have had Methot legally change his name to Nikita Filatov and have paid Nikita Filatov 60 bucks and a Wendy's coupon to switch his name to Marc Methot

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 02:53 AM
huntison

Edler - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:18 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Edler - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
We need some meat. Enstrom is too small.

I wonder what it would take to lift John Moore from the Devils

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:35 AM
Puikiou

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Discuss.
Trade for Brodin, sign Stone.

Brodin - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Stone

Puikiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

UFA route hopefully. No sense in losing more assets after losing Methot for nothing.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 04:09 AM
krapsik

Can we trade for Methot from LV ?

krapsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 04:37 AM
Hutz

Go shopping in UFA. Try to get a vet for a year or two. Doesn't need to be one of the top guys, just someone that we can depend on at least when one of the kids inevitably struggle for a bit. I'd be pretty comfortable with that.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 05:02 AM
BonkTastic
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post
Can we trade for Methot from LV ?
Not until January 1st, according to league rules surrounding the expansion draft.

Vegas are also not allowed to buyout any of their expansion draft selections out for at least one year (ie: they can buy them out next offseason at the earliest).

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I'm fine replacing him internally for now - we have lots of depth at LHD, but I would also consider taking a hard run after Michael Stone. Very similar player to Methot, but 5 years younger, and we obviously have a back channel to acquire him through his brother (a lot of back channel offers and interests are typically communicated through players in advance of the UFA window).

Stone is great defensively and has had 30+ points over each of the last two seasons. He moves the puck better than Meth.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 05:56 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I'm fine replacing him internally for now - we have lots of depth at LHD, but I would also consider taking a hard run after Michael Stone. Very similar player to Methot, but 5 years younger, and we obviously have a back channel to acquire him through his brother (a lot of back channel offers and interests are typically communicated through players in advance of the UFA window).

Stone is great defensively and has had 30+ points over each of the last two seasons. He moves the puck better than Meth.
That's who they should have gone after, after trading ceci prior to the draft but Stone is a right d. Same as Ceci and Karlsson.

I have no confidence in Dorions ability to evaluate talent at a pro level. I assume the organization will just rush prospects internally and will not use the methot money. But hey we got burrows for 2 more years! That's the smart place to spends assets and money! Not on our top pairing d Man!

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:01 AM
DJB

vCash: 4950
Michael Stone. Big physical shut down blue liner. Has been near the top of league I'm blocked shots before.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:09 AM
edguy

Sign a useful bottom pair vet.

Give Claesson/Chabot/Harpur the top 4 minutes

edguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:18 AM
DJB

vCash: 4950
I went back and reviewed Stone. He played LD in junior and has spent some time on that side with the yotes too. Can play both sides.

Very good skater and excellent mobility, has a solid slapper. Loves to play physical and is solid defensively .

He's perfect.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:30 AM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I have no confidence in Dorions ability to evaluate talent at a pro level.
Wow, I had to do a double take to read that. What he did in one short season bringing this team this far.

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
That's who they should have gone after, after trading ceci prior to the draft but Stone is a right d. Same as Ceci and Karlsson.

I have no confidence in Dorions ability to evaluate talent at a pro level. I assume the organization will just rush prospects internally and will not use the methot money. But hey we got burrows for 2 more years! That's the smart place to spends assets and money! Not on our top pairing d Man!
I actually think that could work quite well.

At LHD, we have Phaneuf, Harpur, Claesson, Boro and likely Chabot.

At RHD, we have Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman.

If you are adding a D to that group of 8, a RHD provides the depth we need. It certainly makes Wideman expendable, and we might be a top heavy at RHD with Stone, but LHD is very deep with a number of options. Stone might be a perfect compliment to Chabot going forward (Ceci might work longer term too).

But looking at it, and knowing Phaneuf can also play RHD, we are probably best filling the void internally with those 8 current players and considering a trade later, depending on how we are fairing. Really depends on whether the team has faith in Wideman going forward. If not, going after Stone makes sense.

Overall though - knowing we also have Englund and Jaros getting closer and closer to being ready (and both being bigger physical defensive blueliners like Stone) - I'd rather spend $'s on a top 6 forward than a top 4 D at this point.

Old
06-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Claesson

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Wait and see how the team plays, first. Maybe one of the kids can step into the second pairing (if we're really lucky) without much seasoning.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 06:50 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I actually think that could work quite well.

At LHD, we have Phaneuf, Harpur, Claesson, Boro and likely Chabot.

At RHD, we have Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman.

If you are adding a D to that group of 8, a RHD provides the depth we need. It certainly makes Wideman expendable, and we might be a top heavy at RHD with Stone, but LHD is very deep with a number of options. Stone might be a perfect compliment to Chabot going forward (Ceci might work longer term too).

But looking at it, and knowing Phaneuf can also play RHD, we are probably best filling the void internally with those 8 current players and considering a trade later, depending on how we are fairing. Really depends on whether the team has faith in Wideman going forward. If not, going after Stone makes sense.

Overall though - knowing we also have Englund and Jaros getting closer and closer to being ready (and both being bigger physical defensive blueliners like Stone) - I'd rather spend $'s on a top 6 forward than a top 4 D at this point.
Harpur and Chabot need significant time in the AHL in order to be developed properly. A d man should be signed even if it's a short term deal. This organizations lack of depth and picks means they cannot screw any of these players up. Their upside is too large.

I would like to think they will spend the money but I just don't think it's gonna happen. You will see inexpensive depth signings.

The reason methot is gone is about money more than anything. That's how this team is operated, the Brassard deal was the same they gave up the pick because of the signing bonus. Until Melnyk sells that's what's going to happen.

Old
06-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Harpur and Chabot need significant time in the AHL in order to be developed properly. A d man should be signed even if it's a short term deal. This organizations lack of depth and picks means they cannot screw any of these players up. Their upside is too large.

I would like to think they will spend the money but I just don't think it's gonna happen. You will see inexpensive depth signings.

The reason methot is gone is about money more than anything. That's how this team is operated, the Brassard deal was the same they gave up the pick because of the signing bonus. Until Melnyk sells that's what's going to happen.
Nah. If it was all about money, we would've given Vegas a first round pick and another sweetener to take Ryan.

Old
06-22-2017, 07:06 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Nah. If it was all about money, we would've given Vegas a first round pick and another sweetener to take Ryan.
They are gonna get more than that for methot and won't have to carry Ryan's contract.

I think signing a veteran like Beauchemin to a 1 year deal is what will happen. I also don't think it would be the worst thing to happen either.

Old
06-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

Harpur's put in his time and is ready for a bigger audition, but has to earn his way on - agreed on that. I also agree on Chabot having to earn his way on. But either way, you still have 6 full-time D ahead of those two. odds are at least one will be ready this year. Most teams anticipate filling a D spot internally from a player moving up each year, and we certainly have more candidates than most.

As to budget, keeping Ceci over Meth is hardly about budget. I get the feeling if someone wants to see things a certain way, they will. Ceci will earn a big raise after this season's $2.8M. He's hardly a cost-controlled asset v Methot. Has more to do with Methot's age than anything.

As to not spending $'s, trading for Phaneuf and signing Ryan to a massive deal were hardly cash savings measures in the long-term. People criticize the team for mis-spending on deals like that, but then when the argument suits, turn around and call the team cheap.

I'm not a huge fan of Melnyk by any stretch, but acting like Unclue Euge vetoed keeping Meth to save a few bucks sounds exceptionally cynically and more than a bit naive.

Old
06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

Whichever is easier of trading for one and signing as a UFA. I think trading for one is possible depending on what LVK are dangling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Edler - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
i think Edler would be difficult to acquire

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
They are gonna get more than that for methot and won't have to carry Ryan's contract.

I think signing a veteran like Beauchemin to a 1 year deal is what will happen. I also don't think it would be the worst thing to happen either.
But, let's be honest here......how many first round picks turn into really good NHLers (as in, guys you wish you could trade for 6 years after the draft)? Maybe 3 or 4 per year (on average)? Add in a dozen 'cup of coffee' guys who play a few seasons and disappear.

So Vegas gets a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks. A dozen picks might yield 1-2 nice players. Meanwhile, they moved 7-8 decent NHLers to get those picks.

Vegas is going to have to put a team on the ice this fall. They can't just walk around with a bushel of picks an kiddie prospects.