HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Ottawa and CTC/Tickets thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
  #376
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,378
vCash: 500
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I am being offered a job in Ottawa. I currently work for the feds in Vancouver, and there is an opportunity to move to Ottawa for a lot more money.
What do yo guys think? How is the real estate, any of you real estate agents, where is the best place to live? I have 2 small kids both going to French school in Vancouver. I am bilingual, but my wife doesn't speak any French at all (she is Japanese). I was looking at some properties online, and the prices are so much better than Vancouver.

Thanks

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
  #377
Smash88
Registered User
 
Smash88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I am being offered a job in Ottawa. I currently work for the feds in Vancouver, and there is an opportunity to move to Ottawa for a lot more money.
What do yo guys think? How is the real estate, any of you real estate agents, where is the best place to live? I have 2 small kids both going to French school in Vancouver. I am bilingual, but my wife doesn't speak any French at all (she is Japanese). I was looking at some properties online, and the prices are so much better than Vancouver.

Thanks
Yeah, you will get a way bigger house here for the price you pay in Vancouver, or pay a lot less for a similar house to what you have.

For areas, if your looking for french neighborhood, you want to move to the East end ie: Orleans.

although french schools are scattered pretty much everywhere in the city. I live in Kanata (west end) and I am also bilingual, my kids will be starting school next year and there are 4 different french schools (2 Catholic and 2 Public) I can send my daughter to. Downtown has a bit of everything, prices are a lot more than in the suburbs but your close to everything it really depends on what you like.

I work for PWGSC here at Place du Portage, which is on the Quebec side, but literally a 10 minute walk from downtown Ottawa.

What department are you with? Do you know what building you would be working out of?

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
  #378
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Yeah, you will get a way bigger house here for the price you pay in Vancouver, or pay a lot less for a similar house to what you have.

For areas, if your looking for french neighborhood, you want to move to the East end ie: Orleans.

although french schools are scattered pretty much everywhere in the city. I live in Kanata (west end) and I am also bilingual, my kids will be starting school next year and there are 4 different french schools (2 Catholic and 2 Public) I can send my daughter to. Downtown has a bit of everything, prices are a lot more than in the suburbs but your close to everything it really depends on what you like.

I work for PWGSC here at Place du Portage, which is on the Quebec side, but literally a 10 minute walk from downtown Ottawa.

What department are you with? Do you know what building you would be working out of?
thank you so much for the info.
I work for Service Canada, but I don't know the buliding, all I know is probably downtown. This is very new as I was just contacted yesterday and ask if i would be interested.
So your kids will be going to French school right? How far is Kanata from where you work?

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
  #379
Smash88
Registered User
 
Smash88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
thank you so much for the info.
I work for Service Canada, but I don't know the buliding, all I know is probably downtown. This is very new as I was just contacted yesterday and ask if i would be interested.
So your kids will be going to French school right? How far is Kanata from where you work?
Ah ok yeah Service Canada is scattered around the city, so you could be anywhere.. LOL

Yes, my daughter will be going to Elizabeth Bruyère elementary in Kanata starting in the fall...

I work 7 -3, so traffic isn't too bad.. It usually takes about 20 - 25 minutes in the morning and about 30 minutes in the afternoon...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  #380
Pancakes Pancakes
Registered User
 
Pancakes Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cattawa
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
thank you so much for the info.
I work for Service Canada, but I don't know the buliding, all I know is probably downtown. This is very new as I was just contacted yesterday and ask if i would be interested.
So your kids will be going to French school right? How far is Kanata from where you work?
I think you need to confirm what area of the city you would be working in first of all, but I think there's a very good chance you'd be in the downtown core. If that's the case, then apart from living downtown, almost anywhere in the city basically works, just some areas may take you 15-20 minutes longer to get to work.

There are three major suburbanite communities (outside of the Greenbelt as we say here) in Ottawa. These are Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans. Kanata and Orleans are bigger and more commercially developped than Barrhaven, but Barrhaven is still very large commercially. They all have their plusses and minuses. All have major transit routes available to them (bus and future light rail I guess). It still adds time to your travels obviously. I used to live in Barrhaven for many years, but I now live in central Nepean (still a suburban type area though). Saves me 15 minutes to work though, but keep in mind housing costs a little more. But since you come from Vancouver, I bet almost anything in Ottawa will look affordable in comparison.

In terms of schooling, Ottawa is a bilingual city, therefore you have your choice of french public, french catholic and even english schools with french emersion programs. There are lots of choices regardless of where you live in Ottawa.

I have a friend who is a very good agent (who we've used ourselves and I don't hesitate to recommend to anyone). If you want some contact info, please PM me.

Anyways, don't hesitate if you have questions.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
  #381
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Ah ok yeah Service Canada is scattered around the city, so you could be anywhere.. LOL

Yes, my daughter will be going to Elizabeth Bruyère elementary in Kanata starting in the fall...

I work 7 -3, so traffic isn't too bad.. It usually takes about 20 - 25 minutes in the morning and about 30 minutes in the afternoon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I think you need to confirm what area of the city you would be working in first of all, but I think there's a very good chance you'd be in the downtown core. If that's the case, then apart from living downtown, almost anywhere in the city basically works, just some areas may take you 15-20 minutes longer to get to work.

There are three major suburbanite communities (outside of the Greenbelt as we say here) in Ottawa. These are Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans. Kanata and Orleans are bigger and more commercially developped than Barrhaven, but Barrhaven is still very large commercially. They all have their plusses and minuses. All have major transit routes available to them (bus and future light rail I guess). It still adds time to your travels obviously. I used to live in Barrhaven for many years, but I now live in central Nepean (still a suburban type area though). Saves me 15 minutes to work though, but keep in mind housing costs a little more. But since you come from Vancouver, I bet almost anything in Ottawa will look affordable in comparison.

In terms of schooling, Ottawa is a bilingual city, therefore you have your choice of french public, french catholic and even english schools with french emersion programs. There are lots of choices regardless of where you live in Ottawa.

I have a friend who is a very good agent (who we've used ourselves and I don't hesitate to recommend to anyone). If you want some contact info, please PM me.

Anyways, don't hesitate if you have questions.
Thank you so much, this is very useful information for sure.
Is there an area to avoid in Ottawa, or pretty much anywhere is safe. Also I was trying to find online, in terms of tuition, how much the French Catholic schools are, I checked their official site, and there is no information about costs, etc.

Pancakes - once I know more about location (I am almost sure is downtown) and if we decide to move, I will PM you for the agent's contact info. We just sold our house in Vancouver, and we were going to buy a new one when I found out about the job offer in Ottawa.

One thing that I am little afraid is that my kids are mixed race (half Japanese) and I don't know how they be treated by other kids in school. Here in Vancouver we don't have any problems, Vancouver is very diverse.

Thanks again

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
  #382
TheOriginalSilf*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Thank you so much, this is very useful information for sure.
Is there an area to avoid in Ottawa, or pretty much anywhere is safe. Also I was trying to find online, in terms of tuition, how much the French Catholic schools are, I checked their official site, and there is no information about costs, etc.

Pancakes - once I know more about location (I am almost sure is downtown) and if we decide to move, I will PM you for the agent's contact info. We just sold our house in Vancouver, and we were going to buy a new one when I found out about the job offer in Ottawa.

One thing that I am little afraid is that my kids are mixed race (half Japanese) and I don't know how they be treated by other kids in school. Here in Vancouver we don't have any problems, Vancouver is very diverse.

Thanks again
I can't speak on all matters, but Ottawa is a reasonably safe place to live in general. The only places I'd discourage residence based on reputation stemming from crime is Gloucester. Generally, East end has seen more crime than downtown or West end, if I am correct. I personally wouldn't live in Bayshore, either though. Regardless, I'd go out on a limb and say that Ottawa, in general, is probably a safer place to live than many parts in Vancouver.

As for racial discrimination in schools; I wouldn't expect it to be a problem at all. I went to high school in the West end of Ottawa (Richmond) and this is an area that is far less racially diverse than the downtown core or East end Ottawa. Racial discrimination was never an issue at my high school. I can't speak for elsewhere, but Ottawa is quite an ethnically diverse city. I can't possibly imagine it being a problem for your kids.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  #383
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
McManked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,519
vCash: 535
I like Gloucester haha.

Vanier on the other hand (although its getting better)

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
  #384
ZSensFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Avoid Vanier, South Keys area (though Riverside South is fine), and parts of the market can be a bit sketchy. Definitely get a real estate agent who knows the city to help you. Overall Ottawa is safe, it's just a question of how much noise/urban issues you want to deal with.

Suburbs vs. downtown comes down to how much of a commute you can tolerate, and how much you can afford to spend. I live downtown and love it, but the houses are way more expensive and I have a much smaller yard.

All public schools are free btw, and rated pretty well. I don't have kids but as far as I've seen racism is not an issue in Ottawa for kids in school.

ZSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:01 PM
  #385
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSensFan View Post
Avoid Vanier, South Keys area (though Riverside South is fine), and parts of the market can be a bit sketchy. Definitely get a real estate agent who knows the city to help you. Overall Ottawa is safe, it's just a question of how much noise/urban issues you want to deal with.

Suburbs vs. downtown comes down to how much of a commute you can tolerate, and how much you can afford to spend. I live downtown and love it, but the houses are way more expensive and I have a much smaller yard.

All public schools are free btw, and rated pretty well. I don't have kids but as far as I've seen racism is not an issue in Ottawa for kids in school.
Thanks very much, appreciate it.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:39 PM
  #386
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 22,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Thanks very much, appreciate it.
Might be a bit late here, but as someone who has lived in both Vancouver AND Ottawa:

- like others have said, you can afford a very nice house in Ottawa for what you would spend on a nice apartment anywhere west of Granville in Vancouver. My wife and I made the conscious decision to leave Vancouver once we found out she was pregnant. There are SO many more parks in Ottawa for kids, so much more open space to run around, and everything is cheaper.

- Groceries are literally HALF as much in Ottawa as they are in Vancouver, so you're bound to save money there, too. Say goodbye to the $14 boxes of Cheerios at Safeway, my friend. In fact, say goodbye to Safeway in general.

- Like others have mentioned, you can find french schools literally anywhere in the city, so don't feel as though you need to settle in the east end because of your kids french requirements. In fact, a lot of the best French public schools are in the West End. Ottawa public schools are some of the highest rated public schools in the country, but there are some bad ones, too. Best to do your homework, here's a link to the Fraser Institute report on Public School rankings.

- As someone who has had to travel in Vancouver during Rush Hour (aka: "Rush Hours"), you never get the ridiculous traffic that Vancouver has at times. There is almost nothing in Ottawa like the Lion's Gate gridlock. Our main highway here (the Queensway) gets maybe half as bad as the Kingsway at peak times.

- You should not worry at all about your kids being half-Japanese. Ottawa is one of the most inclusive cities I've ever lived in.

- Generally, I've found Ottawa to be much friendlier than Vancouver was, though admittedly I lived in Burnaby & Coquitlam when I was in the lower mainland (and not trendy areas like, for instance, Gastown or Kits) so experiences may differ.

- You will need a better winter coat.

- If you are buying a house, I've found that the used market is much better than the new market in Ottawa. Basically, due to changes in Building Codes in Ontario (and Ottawa), I'd personally be wary of anything built after 2006. It's not that they''re poorly built houses, it's just that you can get a much BETTER built house for less by getting something built pre-2006.

- Also, if you are buying a house, ask who the builder was. I'd HEAVILY recommend staying away from Mattamy (absolute garbage), and Minto can be very hit-or-miss (they have a horrible rep in Ottawa, somewhat deserved, but also somewhat exaggerated)

- Areas to probably avoid (if not for the crime, then for the reputation of crime that has destroyed property values)
West End: Bayshore, Bel-Air Heights (aka: the "4 Holes"), possibly Mechanicsville/ Hintonburg (depending on your opinions on a "bad" neighborhood on the verge of being cleaned up, but there are lots of very nice property investment possibilities there), parts of Centertown (anywhere north of the Queensway, between Bronson & Rochester)
East End: Vanier (all of it, just don't), parts of Gloucester
South End: South Keys (parts of it are just awful)

- All that being said, Crime isn't even close to being what it is in Vancouver. There is no "Surrey" issues here. Car thefts are like 1/10th of what they are in Vancouver (saying that, you should still be vigilant about car safety). Ottawa doesn't have the drug issues here that Vancouver does, mostly because the climate can't support it (our homeless people are hard core, tough-as-nails folk, due to the weather they put up with in our winters). Gang activity is also very small compared to Vancouver's. Homicide rates are MUCH lower. Basically, Ottawa is a much, much safer city in general.

- Ottawa is a nicer city to raise a family in than Vancouver (IMO). The trade-off is that Ottawa doesn't have quite the nightlife that Van has.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
  #387
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Might be a bit late here, but as someone who has lived in both Vancouver AND Ottawa:

- like others have said, you can afford a very nice house in Ottawa for what you would spend on a nice apartment anywhere west of Granville in Vancouver. My wife and I made the conscious decision to leave Vancouver once we found out she was pregnant. There are SO many more parks in Ottawa for kids, so much more open space to run around, and everything is cheaper.

- Groceries are literally HALF as much in Ottawa as they are in Vancouver, so you're bound to save money there, too. Say goodbye to the $14 boxes of Cheerios at Safeway, my friend. In fact, say goodbye to Safeway in general.

- Like others have mentioned, you can find french schools literally anywhere in the city, so don't feel as though you need to settle in the east end because of your kids french requirements. In fact, a lot of the best French public schools are in the West End. Ottawa public schools are some of the highest rated public schools in the country, but there are some bad ones, too. Best to do your homework, here's a link to the Fraser Institute report on Public School rankings.

- As someone who has had to travel in Vancouver during Rush Hour (aka: "Rush Hours"), you never get the ridiculous traffic that Vancouver has at times. There is almost nothing in Ottawa like the Lion's Gate gridlock. Our main highway here (the Queensway) gets maybe half as bad as the Kingsway at peak times.

- You should not worry at all about your kids being half-Japanese. Ottawa is one of the most inclusive cities I've ever lived in.

- Generally, I've found Ottawa to be much friendlier than Vancouver was, though admittedly I lived in Burnaby & Coquitlam when I was in the lower mainland (and not trendy areas like, for instance, Gastown or Kits) so experiences may differ.

- You will need a better winter coat.

- If you are buying a house, I've found that the used market is much better than the new market in Ottawa. Basically, due to changes in Building Codes in Ontario (and Ottawa), I'd personally be wary of anything built after 2006. It's not that they''re poorly built houses, it's just that you can get a much BETTER built house for less by getting something built pre-2006.

- Also, if you are buying a house, ask who the builder was. I'd HEAVILY recommend staying away from Mattamy (absolute garbage), and Minto can be very hit-or-miss (they have a horrible rep in Ottawa, somewhat deserved, but also somewhat exaggerated)

- Areas to probably avoid (if not for the crime, then for the reputation of crime that has destroyed property values)
West End: Bayshore, Bel-Air Heights (aka: the "4 Holes"), possibly Mechanicsville/ Hintonburg (depending on your opinions on a "bad" neighborhood on the verge of being cleaned up, but there are lots of very nice property investment possibilities there), parts of Centertown (anywhere north of the Queensway, between Bronson & Rochester)
East End: Vanier (all of it, just don't), parts of Gloucester
South End: South Keys (parts of it are just awful)

- All that being said, Crime isn't even close to being what it is in Vancouver. There is no "Surrey" issues here. Car thefts are like 1/10th of what they are in Vancouver (saying that, you should still be vigilant about car safety). Ottawa doesn't have the drug issues here that Vancouver does, mostly because the climate can't support it (our homeless people are hard core, tough-as-nails folk, due to the weather they put up with in our winters). Gang activity is also very small compared to Vancouver's. Homicide rates are MUCH lower. Basically, Ottawa is a much, much safer city in general.

- Ottawa is a nicer city to raise a family in than Vancouver (IMO). The trade-off is that Ottawa doesn't have quite the nightlife that Van has.
this is excellent news, and thank you so much for taking the time, it is really useful especially from someone who lived in Vancouver before. I really appreciate it!!!!


PS don't care about the night life in vancouver anyway.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
  #388
Hullois
Suck it Trebek
 
Hullois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hull, Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
this is excellent news, and thank you so much for taking the time, it is really useful especially from someone who lived in Vancouver before. I really appreciate it!!!!


PS don't care about the night life in vancouver anyway.
Depending on what you are looking for, houses are much cheaper on the Quebec side and Aylmer is 50%/50% francophones/anglophones, and commute is much shorter from the Quebec side than the remote neibourghoods in Ottawa (15 minutes bus ride and you are downtown). As others said, you should find out where your building is located first. There are many Service Canada employees in Hull and if it is the case for you, you'll have to take two buses to get there from Ottawa (or drive but parking is expensive).

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
  #389
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,202
vCash: 500
I am also going to be moving to Ottawa in the next few months from Winnipeg. I will be working in Barrhaven so I've been keeping an eye on houses in and around Barrhaven... Stonebridge/South Barrhaven appeals to me most (mainly because I came across the design plans for the big arena/pool/gym community centre they are building there and it looks awesome) but I haven't been there for a look yet so any advice or information that wouldn't be known to an outsider would be appreciated.

Kanata/Stittsville also looks pretty good and the houses seem a bit cheaper, can anyone tell me what the commute to Barrhaven would be like? From what I can tell the drive looks mostly rural and it doesn't seem to be a route very many people would be taking to work.

Also, for context, I am married and the wife will likely be working downtown but is fine with commuting from outside the Greenbelt, and we have a young family - we won't have to worry about schools for three more years but it seems great across the board in Ottawa anyway.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:20 PM
  #390
danishh
Registered User
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YOW
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,093
vCash: 50
stonebridge area is nice, pretty sterotypical suburbia. I dont know where exactly in barrhaven you'll be working (likely around strandherd and greenbank or possibly the RCMP/JDS campus), but the commute from stonebridge shouldnt be more than 10 minutes by car or 20 by bus.

Concerning your wife working downtown, traffic is starting to heat up everywhere in ottawa now (which is why we're building light rail/subway). The only way to go from kanata/stittsville is the 417, and you're looking at an hour for a rush hour commute there. Barrhaven is better - around 40 minutes in rush hour, going along prince of wales. Barrhaven's commute time should improve a bit next year once the strandherd-armstrong bridge is open. Prince of wales will eventually be widened from 2 lanes to 4, but that wont start for a few years.

You dont mention orleans (east suburbs). That is GOOD. Avoid orleans like the plague for the next 5 years. 417 and 174 construction in and east of downtown will make rush hour traffic hell.


as a whole, barrhaven is ottawa's newest suburb (orleans first, then kanata, now barrhaven/ottawa south). Commercial has grown to the point that you can do the majority of your shopping in the area. Transit still needs help. Lots of very young families in the area, people buying their first houses, stuff like that.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:23 PM
  #391
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
stonebridge area is nice, pretty sterotypical suburbia. I dont know where exactly in barrhaven you'll be working (likely around strandherd and greenbank or possibly the RCMP/JDS campus), but the commute from stonebridge shouldnt be more than 10 minutes by car or 20 by bus.

Concerning your wife working downtown, traffic is starting to heat up everywhere in ottawa now (which is why we're building light rail/subway). The only way to go from kanata/stittsville is the 417, and you're looking at an hour for a rush hour commute there. Barrhaven is better - around 40 minutes in rush hour, going along prince of wales. Barrhaven's commute time should improve a bit next year once the strandherd-armstrong bridge is open. Prince of wales will eventually be widened from 2 lanes to 4, but that wont start for a few years.

You dont mention orleans (east suburbs). That is GOOD. Avoid orleans like the plague for the next 5 years. 417 and 174 construction in and east of downtown will make rush hour traffic hell.


as a whole, barrhaven is ottawa's newest suburb (orleans first, then kanata, now barrhaven/ottawa south). Commercial has grown to the point that you can do the majority of your shopping in the area. Transit still needs help. Lots of very young families in the area, people buying their first houses, stuff like that.
Thanks for the valuable info danishh, I might pop back in here at some point soon for more local expertise.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
  #392
LouisOlivier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Hi Ottawa fans!

I’m also a huge Sens fans, I come from Quebec City and next season, I’m planning to see a Sens games like Sens vs Red Wings, or Sens vs Habs…

So my question:

What is the best seat to watch a sens game?
And money is not a problem
Thank you.


Last edited by LouisOlivier: 07-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
LouisOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
  #393
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 22,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisOlivier View Post
Hi Ottawa fans!

I’m also a huge Sens fans, I come from Quebec City and next season, I’m planning to see a Sens games like Sens vs Red Wings, or Sens vs Habs…

So my question:

What is the best seat to watch a sens game?
And money is not a problem

Thank you.
Former usher at SBP (CTC?) here.

If you're asking for MY personal opinion, the best seats in the house are the 1st row of the 200 level, center ice. 1st row, section 207/208/209 (players bench side of the ice), or 221/222/223 (penalty box side of the ice).

You get an unobstructed view (1st row, no one in front of you), and you're close enough to the ice to see all the detail, but not so close to the ice that you miss half of the game because you're too close to one end of the ice or the other.

Also, the 200 level at SBP/CTC are only 6 rows deep, so you get a much more intimate setting, IMO.

I've always been of the opinion that most of the 100-level seat are for suckers, though. You pay a premium to be too close to the ice. A 5th row seat in the 100 level is great to see the player's receding hairlines, but not as great when you're trying to watch the half of the game that happens in the other end of the ice.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  #394
LouisOlivier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Former usher at SBP (CTC?) here.

If you're asking for MY personal opinion, the best seats in the house are the 1st row of the 200 level, center ice. 1st row, section 207/208/209 (players bench side of the ice), or 221/222/223 (penalty box side of the ice).

You get an unobstructed view (1st row, no one in front of you), and you're close enough to the ice to see all the detail, but not so close to the ice that you miss half of the game because you're too close to one end of the ice or the other.

Also, the 200 level at SBP/CTC are only 6 rows deep, so you get a much more intimate setting, IMO.

I've always been of the opinion that most of the 100-level seat are for suckers, though. You pay a premium to be too close to the ice. A 5th row seat in the 100 level is great to see the player's receding hairlines, but not as great when you're trying to watch the half of the game that happens in the other end of the ice.
Alright thank you for your respond!! It will be my first time in CTC/SBP, I really really really really hate the Habs (it's in the family) and I am 100% sure that I'll go the a Habs vs Sens game.

Thank you

LouisOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
  #395
LouisOlivier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Former usher at SBP (CTC?) here.

If you're asking for MY personal opinion, the best seats in the house are the 1st row of the 200 level, center ice. 1st row, section 207/208/209 (players bench side of the ice), or 221/222/223 (penalty box side of the ice).

You get an unobstructed view (1st row, no one in front of you), and you're close enough to the ice to see all the detail, but not so close to the ice that you miss half of the game because you're too close to one end of the ice or the other.

Also, the 200 level at SBP/CTC are only 6 rows deep, so you get a much more intimate setting, IMO.

I've always been of the opinion that most of the 100-level seat are for suckers, though. You pay a premium to be too close to the ice. A 5th row seat in the 100 level is great to see the player's receding hairlines, but not as great when you're trying to watch the half of the game that happens in the other end of the ice.
What I like too, is the best in the last row so I can stand up everytime I want!!

LouisOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:17 AM
  #396
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 22,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I am also going to be moving to Ottawa in the next few months from Winnipeg. I will be working in Barrhaven so I've been keeping an eye on houses in and around Barrhaven... Stonebridge/South Barrhaven appeals to me most (mainly because I came across the design plans for the big arena/pool/gym community centre they are building there and it looks awesome) but I haven't been there for a look yet so any advice or information that wouldn't be known to an outsider would be appreciated.

Kanata/Stittsville also looks pretty good and the houses seem a bit cheaper, can anyone tell me what the commute to Barrhaven would be like? From what I can tell the drive looks mostly rural and it doesn't seem to be a route very many people would be taking to work.

Also, for context, I am married and the wife will likely be working downtown but is fine with commuting from outside the Greenbelt, and we have a young family - we won't have to worry about schools for three more years but it seems great across the board in Ottawa anyway.
I lived in Barrhaven for a few years. If you're looking at moving there, I'd seriously question buying any house built after ~2007 (or thereabouts) in Barrhaven. Living there, and seeing the amount of corners cut in many of the new housing developments that went up in that time, would scare me away from any of those new builds. If you can find a place in "Old Barrhaven" (east of Cedarview, north of Strandherd) that looks nice, it's a much better buy, IMO. Stonebridge is also nice, but depending on how close you are to the golf course, you are paying a premium to be within "x distance" to the golf course.

Barrhaven is a great community to raise a family, IMO. Excellent schools, nice neighborhoods... but it's not exactly the cultural mecca of Ottawa. If you live in Barrhaven, expect to commute to other areas of the city for any excitement.

If you're a hockey fan, I have to say, one huge plus to living in Barrhaven is that the commute to Sens games is ridiculously easy. Take Strandherd all the way to Eagleson, to Terry fox, to Palladium. You only get 1/10th of the gameday traffic you'd get on the highway, no fuss, no muss. I've done that drive many times in less than 15 mins.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  #397
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 22,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisOlivier View Post
What I like too, is the best in the last row so I can stand up everytime I want!!
Ill give you a warning, then: the last row in the 100 and 200 sections will still put you in front of the Luxury Boxes, which means that when you stand up, instead of regular fans telling you to sit the hell down, you'll have ******* corporate-types telling you to sit the hell down.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:24 AM
  #398
LouisOlivier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Ill give you a warning, then: the last row in the 100 and 200 sections will still put you in front of the Luxury Boxes, which means that when you stand up, instead of regular fans telling you to sit the hell down, you'll have ******* corporate-types telling you to sit the hell down.
Damn! Is there a place when I just can be stand up all the game and making noise?

LouisOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
  #399
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 22,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisOlivier View Post
Damn! Is there a place when I just can be stand up all the game and making noise?
300 level.

As a former usher, I can tell you that if there's anything that Sens Season Ticket Holders hate, it's people that spend half the game standing in front of them. It was probably the single thing I had to deal with most: fans complaining about people in front of them blocking their view of the game.

I can tell you that I was a particularly lenient usher when I was there, and I any fans who wanted to stand were welcome to come join me at the top of the concourse. I frigging loved that: I'd usually have at least 1-2 fans each game just come and chill with me at the top of the stairs, and we'd just chill out and talk hockey all game. If you find a cool usher (yes, despite popular opinion, there are a few of us who were pretty chill), just ask to hang out in the vom.

Funnily enough, while Sens-Habs games are usually a massive s**tshow from a crowd-control point of view, my favorite "game long hockey debates" at the top of the stairs were always with Habs fans.


... damnit. Now I miss that job.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
  #400
LouisOlivier
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ville de Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
300 level.

As a former usher, I can tell you that if there's anything that Sens Season Ticket Holders hate, it's people that spend half the game standing in front of them. It was probably the single thing I had to deal with most: fans complaining about people in front of them blocking their view of the game.

I can tell you that I was a particularly lenient usher when I was there, and I any fans who wanted to stand were welcome to come join me at the top of the concourse. I frigging loved that: I'd usually have at least 1-2 fans each game just come and chill with me at the top of the stairs, and we'd just chill out and talk hockey all game. If you find a cool usher (yes, despite popular opinion, there are a few of us who were pretty chill), just ask to hang out in the vom.

Funnily enough, while Sens-Habs games are usually a massive s**tshow from a crowd-control point of view, my favorite "game long hockey debates" at the top of the stairs were always with Habs fans.

Okay thank you for the advise... well I was planning paying full price for front row but I want to make noise and having good time... 300 level is ok with me if it's the best seats to feel the game and making noise. Well the saving-money will go on the beer then!

Thank you

LouisOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.