HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR-NYI

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Kvashinator12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Congrats on the sweep, you guys deserved everygame.

Secondly Purinton is a coward. He suckers him last week, elbows him, then refuses to go. He is a disgrace to all enforcers throughout the league. And all this he was being smart talk please......He is afraid of Cairns plain and simple, he had multiple chances to drop them even before that.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:00 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Good win by the Rag$
The isles waited too long to get into this game...big mistakes at bad times cost us big...

now the trick for your management is....how to play like this against the 28 other teams in the NHL.

As much as i hate the rag$...it is time to fire sather & get a guy like S.Bowman to be your GM.

then again im prolly repeating what your ranger fans have been saying all along....

Old
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
303Joe

OK gentlemen you got us again...

just got back from the game and once again the Rangers win. I wouldn't mind it so much that the isles lost if they atleast played one good game this year agaisnt you guys. Every game was exactly the oppsoite of most of their games. Alot of giveaways and poor goaltending getting themselves in a 2-or3-0 hole 5 minutes in. on tonights game again poor goaltending puts them in a 2-0 hole early on Snow has to stop that 1st goal. Dumb plays by the isles actually cairns cost them. About the 1st fight I'm not sure what exactly happened between cairns and Purinton except that turtle boy did a good job getting his team a long PP. On the 1st shift of the game I'm not sure if they showed it on TV cairns went after Puriton twice once during the play and again after a whislte and Dale wanted no part. yeah tell me whatever why should he fight or he doesn't have to fight bottom line Cairns was right in his face and Dale boy did nothing. back to the brawl Cairns was stupid and cost his team in an important game for them. He has to hold off hitting Dale once he saw he wasn't going to do anything. As for the other fight looked like Simon really didn't want to fight Godard but kinda had to from what i saw i thought Godard won the fight no big TKO or anyhting but I though he got in some nice shots including a big right. I thogh the REf made the right call on the fights I knew Godard was getting tyhe extra 2 as he hooked down Barnaby before the whoe fight occurred. The only thing I was wondering was cairns going to get tossed and he did. As for the rest of the game Isles did a good job keeping it 3-0 after the 5 on 3 goal only to come out and let the rangers once again score often and early. how do you let jagr come out of the corner intouched. 2nd fight of the night was all godard lacouture was out of his league fighting him. I know godard isn't the most talented guy but the kid can fight which is why the Isles have to play him agaisnt some bigger teams. You're not gonna tell me Mattias WEinhandle was going to do anyhting great tonight to change the complexion of the game not that Godard did but atleast we didn't have Simon and Lacouture running arounds like they own the place. As for the isle scoring 3 goals who cares the game was over with long befoe they woke up and gave any kind of effort. They got wat they deserved and that was a humilaiting loss on home ice. Bad goaltending and a bad PP as they had a few chances to come back cost them. Oh well hopefully they come backand play a strong game in Buffalo tomorrow night. I had to put a little addition to my post. I'm hearing Puriton hit Cairns w/ a nice elbow that why Cairns went after him id this ture or not?

Last edited by 303Joe: 02-26-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
just got back...tomorrow night.
I just got back from the game as well... Best fight of the night happened in the stands...

Islander holding a "priceless" sign..(not sure what it said...i was in the cheap seats) right behind the glass...

A Ranger fan jumps up and tears the sign and then starts shoving the islander fan...
One thing leads to another and the Ranger fan begins punching the islander fan...

Ranger fan gets jumped by 8-15 islander fans...(all ejected)...

Whats with all these people in islander jerseys who can't bare to see a 1 on 1 fight? first blake last game...and now the fans follow suit

I was disappointed in that the team disappeared after the 6th goal... The infamous 6th goal lead.. toughest lead to maintain in hockey...

Old
02-26-2004, 11:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
bottom line Cairns was right in his face and Dale boy did nothing. back to the brawl Cairns was stupid and cost his team in an important game for them.
Right on both counts, Joe. Cairns did cost his team. However, I have a confession to make. I was watching ESPN when they showed highlights of the game. Off Course they showed what happened last game. Turns out, Smash was right. 2 games ago, Purinton really did land a punch before Cairns's glove hit the ice. So, You kinda thgought the 2 would go, giving the way Cairns was talking. Cairns challenged him at the outset, Dale did not go. Then it was Dale's elbow that led to Cairns swining in the fight. Dale turtled. Then Cairns tried to go at it again, and Dale waved him off. What a dilema. Great for the Rangers. LONG power play. However, I must admit that I thought that Dale should have dropped the gloves if he wants to be a legit tough guy. I know that he did the smart thing by not doing so and drawing a power play. And I thought that he played a pretty good game overall. However, IMHO he should have dropped the gloves.
As for the game, what is there to talk about? Does beating the Isles really count? Probably not. However, gotta admint. I LOVE beating the Islanders. Better than beating the Devils (however little of it we've had). Better than ever beating the Flyers (and believe me, I love to get the wins over them as well). But in the long scheme, it is just a small, small victory in an otherwise brutal year.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:26 PM
303Joe

Yeah that was a prety large donneybrook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
I just got back from the game as well... Best fight of the night happened in the stands...

Islander holding a "priceless" sign..(not sure what it said...i was in the cheap seats) right behind the glass...

A Ranger fan jumps up and tears the sign and then starts shoving the islander fan...
One thing leads to another and the Ranger fan begins punching the islander fan...

Ranger fan gets jumped by 8-15 islander fans...(all ejected)...

Whats with all these people in islander jerseys who can't bare to see a 1 on 1 fight? first blake last game...and now the fans follow suit

I was disappointed in that the team disappeared after the 6th goal... The infamous 6th goal lead.. toughest lead to maintain in hockey...
behide the net. I sit in center ice behide the penalty boxes all of the sudden i saw a large fight that just kept going. How come you rowdy Rangers fans have to start all the trouble :p . I had this young Rangers fan sitting 2 seats from me he was about 15 he was a good kid. He stands up when lacouture and Godard start to square off and tells to watch Lacouture take this guy. I told him to relax that he'd be lucky of lacouture got in 2 shots the while fight. After Godard starts smacking him the kid just sat down. I told him yeah Godard may not be the most talented player but give him some credit as he can throw them. Oh well there always next year the 2 teams will meet again I'm sure the players won;t forget some things that has happened. Good luck in the playoffs . Ahh I had to throw it in there it been a frustrating night. I actually shouldn't say much as the isles are no shoe in for the playoffs yet. They got the Sabres and Panthers coming at them should be an interesting final 20 games.

Last edited by 303Joe: 02-26-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12

Secondly Purinton is a coward. He suckers him last week, elbows him, then refuses to go. He is a disgrace to all enforcers throughout the league. And all this he was being smart talk please......He is afraid of Cairns plain and simple, he had multiple chances to drop them even before that.
I can't really argue with your thoughts on Purinton, but at the same time are you Islander fans upset at the timing of Cairns actions? IMO he put himself ahead of his team. He should have waited until the game was decided one way or another, and if he did not get the chance there is always next season.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:35 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
I can't really argue with your thoughts on Purinton, but at the same time are you Islander fans upset at the timing of Cairns actions? IMO he put himself ahead of his team. He should have waited until the game was decided one way or another, and if he did not get the chance there is always next season.
iam...if you look at my post on the isles board i was kinda downplaying this game...to me the 2pts are more important
Gooning you guys doesnt help in the almighty standings
id rather take the W & the 2pts

Old
02-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I agree totally with your point. Cairns is a gamer, Purinton is an embarassment, but Cairns' timing was poor and he had to know that the refs would have little tolerance for anything going into this game.

Regardless, NYR was ahead in this game 6-0 at one point, so his indiscretions (or the penalty call) cannot be used as an excuse.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:55 PM
303Joe

Ahh so Puriton did throw an elbow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Right on both counts, Joe. Cairns did cost his team. However, I have a confession to make. I was watching ESPN when they showed highlights of the game. Off Course they showed what happened last game. Turns out, Smash was right. 2 games ago, Purinton really did land a punch before Cairns's glove hit the ice. So, You kinda thgought the 2 would go, giving the way Cairns was talking. Cairns challenged him at the outset, Dale did not go. Then it was Dale's elbow that led to Cairns swining in the fight. Dale turtled. Then Cairns tried to go at it again, and Dale waved him off. What a dilema. Great for the Rangers. LONG power play. However, I must admit that I thought that Dale should have dropped the gloves if he wants to be a legit tough guy. I know that he did the smart thing by not doing so and drawing a power play. And I thought that he played a pretty good game overall. However, IMHO he should have dropped the gloves.
As for the game, what is there to talk about? Does beating the Isles really count? Probably not. However, gotta admint. I LOVE beating the Islanders. Better than beating the Devils (however little of it we've had). Better than ever beating the Flyers (and believe me, I love to get the wins over them as well). But in the long scheme, it is just a small, small victory in an otherwise brutal year.
as I said I didn't see everythin g the fight was down in front of me. All of the sidden after a few seconds in the bunch i see cairns start going after Puriton. I knew he didn't jump as to much time went by so the elbow set him off. As you said and I agree w/ you I know Pirution got his team a long PP but if he wants be respected as a tough guy. Cairns was in his face after the 1st whislte if anyhting Cairns would have gotten the instigator as he dropped his stick right in front of him and was right in his grill. Puriton didn't do a thing.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:45 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Good win by the Rag$
The isles waited too long to get into this game...big mistakes at bad times cost us big...

now the trick for your management is....how to play like this against the 28 other teams in the NHL.

As much as i hate the rag$...it is time to fire sather & get a guy like S.Bowman to be your GM.

then again im prolly repeating what your ranger fans have been saying all along....

Wow it really is bad when you hear an Islander fan give sympathy to a Ranger fan about his hockey team.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:08 AM
dvaske

Quote:

He doesn't disgrace the other enforcers in the league, he just proved he's not one of them.
Up 2 already, and lets be honest the Ranger should be playing for a chance at Ovechkin, I think he could have safely dropped his gloves with out fear of hurting his team (as a loss now wouldn't hurt thet Rangers). You could see in afternoon skate interview (when asked about Cairnes) he got visibly nervous studdered a little and avoided the topic. He looked like a scared little girl.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-27-2004 at 07:17 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 01:25 AM
rickyrod

who cares if purinton is a coward? cairns got his revenge...suckered him, and then beat him while he was on the ice. it should be over.

i dont think two points will push us out of the ovechkin race, but we'll still need to actually win the lottery to get him. it might actually be better if we dont win it. we really need a big burly defenseman. having the next jagr would be nice, sure...be we already have the current jagr. we can just suck it up next year and go for the crosby sweepstakes.

as for cairns...he should worry about himself, and not purinton. i think he's been in too many fights. he gets dumber everytime someone interviews him :x
http://msgvox2.cv.net/ramgen/msgnetw...l/cairns226.rm

Old
02-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Big Game

Quote:
I think Carins figured it would be similar to the McCarthy fiasco of two years ago. In that both players get the fight over early and fairly, and once it was done it would be done and then concentrate on Hockey. However, Puriton did not see it that way.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
as I said I didn't see everythin g the fight was down in front of me. All of the sidden after a few seconds in the bunch i see cairns start going after Puriton. I knew he didn't jump as to much time went by so the elbow set him off. As you said and I agree w/ you I know Pirution got his team a long PP but if he wants be respected as a tough guy. Cairns was in his face after the 1st whislte if anyhting Cairns would have gotten the instigator as he dropped his stick right in front of him and was right in his grill. Puriton didn't do a thing.
I don't think it had anything to do with a PP, it had to do with Purinton being scared to fight Cairns. If it had something to do with getting a PP, Purinton would not have thrown the elbow, because that elbow if hthe refs see it is probably a double minor.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:56 AM
dvaske

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod
who cares if purinton is a coward? cairns got his revenge...suckered him, and then beat him while he was on the ice. it should be over.

i dont think two points will push us out of the ovechkin race, but we'll still need to actually win the lottery to get him. it might actually be better if we dont win it. we really need a big burly defenseman. having the next jagr would be nice, sure...be we already have the current jagr. we can just suck it up next year and go for the crosby sweepstakes.

as for cairns...he should worry about himself, and not purinton. i think he's been in too many fights. he gets dumber everytime someone interviews him :x
Catch sports center-
Their piece on the game is less about the Rangers win and more all about the turtle.

First they, freeze frame, blow up, and spot shadow, the sucker punch from last thursday. Puriturtle's fist is in cairns' face while one of cairns gloves is in the air and the other is just coming off.

Then they do the same illustration on Puriturtles elbow to Cairn's head that set off the rumble.

Then they show Puriturtle showing why he's such a tough guy. Turtled like a sissy.

Then they show his limp wristed waive off of cairns, and hiding behind the Ref.

Oh and as a footnote :
The other 5 seconds of the 40 second piece was two of the Rangers goals.

Good Work ESPN

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-27-2004 at 07:18 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I agree totally with your point. Cairns is a gamer, Purinton is an embarassment, but Cairns' timing was poor and he had to know that the refs would have little tolerance for anything going into this game.

Regardless, NYR was ahead in this game 6-0 at one point, so his indiscretions (or the penalty call) cannot be used as an excuse.
Cairns should have had better timing, but I can't exactly say I blame him. I don't think Cairns expected to turtle like a, also the elbow set him off. Without the elbow cairns still tries to get at Purinton, bit wouldn't have gone crazy. I still don't understand how cairns got the 27 min package & Purinton got nothing. carins did let up & gave Purinton a chance (which made Purinton look even worse) & the fact that their was no penalty on the elbow, which is what started the whole thing anyway. Bottom line if your going to ram peopel from behind & throw big elbows in a scrum the way Purinton did, grow some bals and fight, don't run scared & turtle. If your not man enough or don't want to fight ok fine, I can clearly understand why Purinton wans no part of Cairns, Cairns is one of the top fighters in the nHL, but don't go after the guy from behind & don't elbow him in the face then. Be a man grow some balls, if your going to try 7 stir things up then have the balls to drop thhe gloves otherwise don't get involved.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-27-2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 06:24 AM
LondonFan

^^^Why?

Old
02-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:

I honestly have very little problem with it at all. Everyone does something dumb once in a while. He has put the team before him on many nights doing anything he can to get the team going. I dont think Lacotour will be trying to fight Czerkawski again...once again all that mattes was the game, and we didn't get it done.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I honestly have very little problem with it at all. Everyone does something dumb once in a while. He has put the team before him on many nights doing anything he can to get the team going. I dont think Lacotour will be trying to fight Czerkawski again...once again all that mattes was the game, and we didn't get it done.

Seems to me that Cairns goes out of his way to fight against the Rangers. And I'm not sure you can call that "enforcing". What a do think is he puts his own little agenda ahaed of the winning these games. He pick a poor place to do it last night. The score was only 2-0 and those two goals were soft ones of Snow's part.

Lacouture is simply looking to keep his job.

It's over, Cairns got to punch somebody when they were down this time and the Rangers swept the Islanders. I think that sums it up quite nicely.

02-27-2004, 08:04 AM
IslandersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod

B.S. Puriton knew that Cairns was on the ice when he was, and had to know that Cairns was looking for him. Your assessment that Cairns sucker-punched Puriton is total B.S. as well, but I would imagine its just because you are just as embarrassed about Puritons actions as probably every other legit fighter in the league is about it.
Puriton is in this league for exactly 1 reason... because he was allegedly a fighter. His skills as a player are limited (just like Cairns), the only thing he had to get by in this league was that he was a fighter... Anyone who thought that last weeks fight between him and Cairns was legit now knows the truth... that Puriton is just a gutless punk who's mouth writes him checks that his arse can't cash.
As for Cairns, I don't blame him for what he did. His team was down 2 goals and he tried to take matters into his own fists and change the momentum, nothing like a good pummeling to get your teammates fired up... unfortunately, big bad Dale took a dive instead of taking his beating like a man (much to the pleasure of the Time - Warner idiot J.D.) and the Rangers walk away with damn near half a period of power-play time.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:06 AM
KING

New coach, same result

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...7rangers2.html

Old
02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaske
Catch sports center-
Their piece on the game is less about the Rangers win and more all about the turtle.

First they, freeze frame, blow up, and spot shadow, the sucker punch from last thursday. Puriturtle's fist is in cairns' face while one of cairns gloves is in the air and the other is just coming off.

Then they do the same illustration on Puriturtles elbow to Cairn's head that set off the rumble.

Then they show Puriturtle showing why he's such a tough guy. Turtled like a sissy.

Then they show his limp wristed waive off of cairns, and hiding behind the Ref.

Oh and as a footnote :
The other 5 seconds of the 40 second piece was two of the Rangers goals.

Good Work ESPN
Good job by the Isles.. next time try and compete with us in the actual games than fighting goons.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:39 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
Cairns is one of the top fighters in the nHL,
Let's not push it here. Cairns is not one of the top fighters in the league. I said that you were right that Carins's glove was in the air when Dale punched him a the other game, HOWEVER one DOES need to mention that he flipped his glove far over his shoulder, showman-like. And, yes, he was facing Dale square on. Just becuase Dale did not give him a chance to take a few steps back and pull up his sleves and get comfortable, does not make it a sucker punch. Dale beat Brashear and since Brash wanted no part of him in a fight. Most of Dale's fights w/ Fedoruk are even. So unless you consider Cairns to be the better of those 2, claiming that he is one of the top fighters in the league is a crock.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Fletch

Embarassed about Purinton's actions?

let's see...Cairns takes 7 minutes and is thrown out of the game. The Rangers score on the ensuing PP, going up by three, en route to a 6-3 games. Basically, for one of the first times I can remember, Dale put the team in front of his personal vendettas and took one for them, which may've helped the team win. Cairns was distracted for the few minutes of the game he played and may've hurt his team - and with Buffalo tonight, may end up hurting his team's playoff chances. Would love to see the Isles not make it, and they're a step closer to that happening as a result of the Rangers. Had Cairns not gone crazy, the score's 2-0 and quite possibly, if the next goal was an Islanders goal, they're back in it.

Closed Thread