HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keep an eye on Edmonton

Old
10-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
this is the first I heard of this. I thought Edmonton had a good history of developing centremans.

So its...

Torres, Jonni Pitkanen, Stoll, for

Vishnovky, Cole.
So, umm yeah, last I checked, and maybe it's just me, but, again, the last I checked it takes more then Training camp your first year with a new team to develop, or atleast the last I checked.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
tjd9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Which is worse...? The Ducks send Ryan down, waive Scheidner and buy out Bertuzzi or the Oilers putting Penner on the 3rd line, waiving Brule, and trading 24 year old Pitkanen for almost 30 year old Cole.

Both these GM's deserve each other.
IMO I think not making the playoffs in the last 6 years is the worst. Must be a superstar GM on the allmighty kings

tjd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
I know you love your team but honestly you can't think he's NHL ready.

I was at the game friday and he looked really bad IMO. Even for the PP where he could be good enough the Oilers certainly have 6 better forwards than Schremp.

Lets face facts, 4 years ago 23 other GM's passed on him, It appears they made the right decision.
I was at the game as well and he made a great pass in the 1st and didn't make any bad plays or look out of place, because of all the penalties he didn't have a single shift in the second and I might have noticed one in the 3rd. He was far from really bad and didn't make a single play that costed the team all pre-season long, having said that he really didn't do all whole lot of much offensively, but we all know the talent is there.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Symptoms: Headcase. Off-ice problems. Contract is too much. Lockeroom cancer....

Hmmm. Sounds like another case of 'theplayerthatstradedisautomaticallyabum-itis' to me.

Of course, Brule didn't have any positive labels attached to him either. But i seem to remember the media hyping up that trade like it was something substantial. Media... pffft.
Actually if you've paid attention the last couple years the headcase labeling is well justified and Torres himself has aknoweledged his off-ice and partying problems.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd9 View Post
IMO I think not making the playoffs in the last 6 years is the worst. Must be a superstar GM on the allmighty kings
Superstar GM? All Lombardi has done is make some bad UFA signings...I don't dislike one trade he has made....O'Sullivan, Johnson were all good deals...we didn't give up one decent young player since he has been here.

Lowe, on the other hand....where to start....The guy hasn't made one steal of a deal.

The Pronger deal, the Smyth deal, the Weight deal, the Comrie fiasco, the Roloson and Pisani contracts, now the Brule deal, trading a 24year old Pitkanen for 30 year old oft injured Cole.

I typed in Lowe and bad trades and all these articles came up. Guess I'm not the only one....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ld-accountable

http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2008/05...we-in-box.html

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Superstar GM? All Lombardi has done is make some bad UFA signings...I don't dislike one trade he has made....

Lowe, on the other hand....where to start....

The Pronger deal, the Smyth deal, the Weight deal, the Comrie fiasco, the Roloson and Pisani contracts, now the Brule deal, trading a 24 year old Pitkanen for 30 year old oft injured Cole.

I typed in Lowe and bad trades and all these articles came up. Guess I'm not the only one....

The Ryan Smyth deal where he got a younger, more talented player who makes less then have of what Smyth does and out scored him last season, yeah Brutal.

Like Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky, that was horrendous.

Toni Salmalinen(sp) for Jaro Spacek who was playing 20+ mins a night for the Oilers on the run to the cup, again terrible.

Trading a tough to deal with head case for a scoring energy forward who had one major injury, that he came back from in the same season? Just brutal.

No one is saying that Kevin Lowe has been flawless, but sweet zombie jesus, he's been a hell of alot better then you seem to realize. He's the president of hockey Ops now, by the way, Tambellini is the GM.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Which is worse...? The Ducks send Ryan down, waive Scheidner and buy out Bertuzzi or the Oilers putting Penner on the 3rd line, waiving Brule, and trading 24 year old Pitkanen for almost 30 year old Cole.

Both these GM's deserve each other.
Brule wasn't waived.... try again..

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
and Torres has some problems with the snow in edmonton.
Dude. You're my hero.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered In Oil View Post
Or hopefully it could just be good bye Roloson
If we could peddle Roloson off to another team I'd be so excited. I say keep Schremp on the team. He won't get a lot of ice time playing 4th line forward, but he'd be a great guy to have on the #2 PP.

#1: Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Souray-Visnovsky (Sick that Gagner isn't on the 1st powerplay)

#2: Penner-Cogliano-Gagner
Gilbert-Schremp

That leaves Nilson out... which is scary.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Superstar GM? All Lombardi has done is make some bad UFA signings...I don't dislike one trade he has made....O'Sullivan, Johnson were all good deals...we didn't give up one decent young player since he has been here.

Lowe, on the other hand....where to start....The guy hasn't made one steal of a deal.

The Pronger deal, the Smyth deal, the Weight deal, the Comrie fiasco, the Roloson and Pisani contracts, now the Brule deal, trading a 24year old Pitkanen for 30 year old oft injured Cole.

Come talk to us when you have your facts straight...

If you think that Spacek for a AHL Career player is a bad trade for the Oilers, you must be drinking too much kool-aid...Not to mention the Vishnovsky trade, Smyth trade, and a trade everyone on the Oilers board agrees, the Gilbert trade (Gilbert for Tommy Salo and a 3rd rounder).

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If we could peddle Roloson off to another team I'd be so excited. I say keep Schremp on the team. He won't get a lot of ice time playing 4th line forward, but he'd be a great guy to have on the #2 PP.

#1: Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Souray-Visnovsky (Sick that Gagner isn't on the 1st powerplay)

#2: Penner-Cogliano-Gagner
Gilbert-Schremp

That leaves Nilson out... which is scary.
I think this is scarier

Unit 1
Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Souray-Vishnovsky

Unit 2
Nilsson-Gagner-Cogliano
Gilbert-Grebeshkov

If Schremp was to play the power play it would only be if Horc sits so something like this

Unit 1
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

Unit 2
Nilsson-Cogliano-Schremp

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I think this is scarier

Unit 1
Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Souray-Vishnovsky

Unit 2
Nilsson-Gagner-Cogliano
Gilbert-Grebeshkov

If Schremp was to play the power play it would only be if Horc sits so something like this

Unit 1
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

Unit 2
Nilsson-Cogliano-Schremp
You left Cole out...

Old
10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
You left Cole out...
Cole hasn't really clicked on the PP lines. Maybe the 2nd line but I found Penner was a bigger threat.

Old
10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers 666 View Post
Cole hasn't really clicked on the PP lines. Maybe the 2nd line but I found Penner was a bigger threat.
Think it's too early in the season to start judging a guy like Cole. He produced well playing a defense first style of hockey with the Hurricanes. He's got the size and aggressiveness to cause havoc in front of the net like Penner. He's more experienced than Penner. Faster than Penner.

Old
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Think it's too early in the season to start judging a guy like Cole. He produced well playing a defense first style of hockey with the Hurricanes. He's got the size and aggressiveness to cause havoc in front of the net like Penner. He's more experienced than Penner. Faster than Penner.
Yeah but if you look at their PP Goals, Penner had more. Not saying Cole is bad but Penner is proven.

Penner = 13 PP Goals

Cole = 10 PP Goals

Old
10-07-2008, 07:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
He's better EVS because of the bolded but he doesn't block the net or tip as well as Penner. Which is why Penner will be on the main unit in front of him. Penner is being turned into a Holmstrom/Smyth on the PP.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
tjd9

Quote:

How about these

Salo for Gilbert- hmm i wonder how this worked out

Salmelainen for Spacek- played 20 min a night on route to a cup appearance

Roli for a 1st -basically the trade that got them to the finals that year

Hejda for a 7th - to bad he left via free agency

Smyth for Nilsson Omarra and a 1st...would much rather have Nilsson at this point..was disapointed at the time of the trade however.

MA Bergeron for grebeshkov- turned nothing into something

Cole for Pitkanen - got rid of a player with a bad additude who didnt want to play in edmonton for a player who filled a need with the Oilers..great trade imo.

Greene and Stoll for Vish - traded a 3rd liner with concussion issues and a bottom pairing slow skating penalty machine for a legit top pairing dman.

Pronger gets his own section

Brewer, Lynch and Woywitka for Pronger (the forgotten trade)- biggest steal of a trade ever...up there with the thornton trade.

Joffrey Lupul traded by Anaheim with Ladislav Smid, 1st round pick in 2007 (30th overall traded with 36th overall pick for 21st overall (Riley Nash)), 1st (Jordan Eberle) and 2nd (Travis Hamonic (NY Islanders)) picks in 2008 for Chris Pronger.

So basically it works out to (without goin into the other trades since the pronger trade)

Brewer Lynch and Woywitka

for

Lupul Smid Nash Eberle and one year of pronger(and a cup appearance, something in which your team hasnt done in soooooooooo long)

hmm theres a pretty decent list of good trades. do your reseach next time.

Not to bad, and thats just off the top of my head

oops forgot

-Brule for torres

Got a player with great potential for a guy who was being run out of town by fans because of his inconsistancy, and bad play in general. Torres is also injury proned. I would have been happy with a 7th rounder for him. Brule has a ton of potential and will be a Oiler before the season is over. Right now there just isnt room on the roster. People forget hes only 21 and the only reason he is being sent down id because he doesn't have to go on waivers. IMO this trade has the potential to be Kevin Lowes best trade.

Last edited by tjd9: 10-07-2008 at 07:52 PM.
tjd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Nisky

Tsk - Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Torres for Brule... What a steal.
News Flash: Maple Leafs Sign JEFF FINGER

Nisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks90 View Post
Really? I think Parros will bash this amateur.
I doubt it. This guy doesn't have to avoid blows to the head like Stortini does, because he doesn't need to.

Old
10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Would Edmonton need or care for Ondrej Pavelec?

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Would Edmonton need or care for Ondrej Pavelec?
I would love to see him in Oilers silks, but were in a bit of a pickle in the crease. Roloson, Garon and Deslauriers are all signed to 1-way contracts and the Oilers org is sure Deslauriers would be picked up on waivers, which is a problem since both Garon and Roli are free agents next summer.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:00 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:

Ur Kidding, right? Edmonton has rebuilt nicely over the past few seasons without making any bonehead deals.

1. Pronger deal:
We wouldn't have Smid, 2 1st rounders or Cole
The Smyth deal:
We wouldn't have Nilson, O'marra and a first rounder.
--Were really angry over this deal because they saw the team's hero leave for some guys they'd never heard of. Nilson was a lot more helpful last year than Smyth was. I'll be surprised if Smyth plays 60 games this year and he's making 6.25mil this year to Nilson's 2 mill. Great deal if you ask me.
2. Pisani contract: How could Edmonton have chosen to not lock Pisani up for those dollars? At this point it's hardly a hit at all. It just looked bad because he couldn't stay healthy. Got really sick and lost 30 pounds to some screwed illness and came back to play most of last year when ppl had him written off for the whole season. He's our best grinder and there are tons of teams out there who'd love to have him on their 3rd line.
3. Comrie deal: The problem behind the Comrie fiasco? I suspect it was Comrie's immaturity. Look at him now. He hasn't gone very far. First line center on the NY Islanders. *claps sarcastically.* 4 mill was a HUGE overpayment for his services.
4. Roloson contract: With the problems Edmonton was having luring free agents, rising salaries and Roloson's playoff preformance how could the Oilers not shell out that kind of money for him?
5. The Brule Deal Are you kidding? I jumped so high when I read about it that my skull almost caved in when it smashed the ceiling. The contract Torres signed a few years ago left a nasty taste in my mouth. Seeing him getting traded out of town for someone more affordable who more or less brings the same game to the table was sweet music to my ears.
The Pitkanen deal: Do you hear any Oilers fans complaining? No. Pitkanen had no drive. Or urge to be a winner. He just wanted to come in, do his job and leave quietly. We got something a hell of a lot better than that. If he gets hurt we've got sooooo many options it isn't even funny.

I don't really get what you can complain about Edmonton's line-up.

We've got the best group of defensemen we've had in years.
We've even got 2 defensemen on call-up who won't embarrass themselves if they fill in for an injured player.

We've got so much young talent fighting to come up from the AHL that things are even looking great for our AHL team this year.

We've got toughness. And I'm kinda addicted to it right now. Wouldn't mind another big bruiser to have kicking around unless someone feels it's ok to go to town on one of our younger smaller players.

Our young players contribute pretty much just as much as our experienced players do.

Man what's going to make you happy, anyway?

Old
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
bbud

I wouldnt comment on most of those trades or waives im not an oiler fan but will say Brule is worth taking a chance on , watched the kid in Giants days if he can get close to that confidence back the oil got a steal and well worth giving some time to develop he is still very young
the rest id leave to oiler fans they watch and see more of own players i dont get into bashin

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
and Torres has some problems with the snow in edmonton.

Good way of putting it.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:11 AM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDucks90 View Post
Really? I think Parros will bash this amateur.
They have already fought and Parros lost...check it out yourself so there goes that!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote