HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Carlo Coliacovo

Old
10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
mydnyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
From who, who the hell would give that up for the oft injured defenseman who hasn't lived up to hype and isn't a prospect anymore?

You don't think he's, just maybe, pandering to the pro-Leafs listening audience.

Until I see it, there is NO WAY that Colaiacovo is worth more then a 4th.
...which is why you're ridiculed for your opinion.

Would anyone give up more than a 4th for T Ruutu ...he's been injured far more than Cola ...wait, someone did already.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post

Would anyone give up more than a 4th for T Ruutu ...he's been injured far more than Cola ...wait, someone did already.
Yeah, a guy, who despite being injured, did more to prove he belonged got traded for an under preforming prospect who had turned suspect.

Again, Colaiacovo isn't worth more then a 4th. He's nothing special, there are plenty of guys like him in the league.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:44 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
Darren Dreger goes on AM640 and says the Leafs would very likely get a 1st or Blue Chip Prospect.
Um, no.

He said the Leafs would probably be looking for that type of return to deal someone like Colaiacovo because he's seen as a very valuable player on their back end if he's able to get a healthy season under his belt (Ron Wilson apparently really likes him aswell).

Fletcher was apparently throwing his name out to see what the potential market was, but Dreger felt they would only deal him if it was a deal that was really worth making (ie. First or Top Prospect).

It was speculation on Dregers part. Nothing of fact.

And besides, this rumour was shot down by Fletcher himself when he said he hasn't had any trade talks involving Colaiacovo.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post

Uhhh...Ruutu's been relatively healthy with the exception of one year. Carlo hasn't played in over 60 games in ANY league since 03-04.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Leafs aren't moving him if all we get back is junk (like most of the things offered so far).

They've spent far too long keeping him through the injuries. He's starting a new season in the middle of a youth movement and he is 100% for once. We're not giving up now.
This is exactly why TO fans should stop making proposals including Colaiacovo.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Edmonton probably.

I'm sure the New York Islanders would consider it as well.
He wouldnt make the oilers. They wouldnt take a chance on another oft-injured Dman.

Old
10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
This is exactly why TO fans should stop making proposals including Colaiacovo.
But he's their baaaby!

Reminds me of all the Wellwood proposals that used to pop up.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Donkeyz

Leafs shouldn't give up on Cola for now, since his trade value wouldn't reflect his true potential. Leafs general situation & Cola's health resume both contribute in bringing his value down. As a rival GM, I'd offer a 4th round pick, to be certain I'm getting the best of the trade. And if I'd lose a bidding war, I wouldn't care.

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Campoli, Meyer and Gervais are better, so no they wouldn't.

Thanks for the laugh.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Tucker rocks

When you look at a guy like Eminger who was traded with a 3rd got a 1st for the Caps in a deep draft. He's played more games than CC but has also had his fair share of injuries. Probably more chronic as it seems to be his ankle most of the time. However I believ the 2 would have similar trade value.

Tucker rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Dick Whitman

It'd be really tough for the Leafs to turn Carlo into something of value at this point in time. Get a full season under his belt and he might be worth a lot to some team.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

Some of you hockey fans need to watch Carlo Colaiacovo play before calling him overrated with little upside. Colaiacovo is a legitimate top 4 defenceman, do not be surprised if he goes somewhere and shines. It's taken a long time for him to finally get to where he is, but Carlo is still young. He's going to be a #3-4 defenceman on a team fighting for a playoff spot, he can play in every situation.

Trust me, this is not a case of overrating him. He seems to be over his injuries and has made it clear this year that he's 100% and doesn't even feel like the same injury-plagued player he was in the past.

As a Leafs fan I think that Fletcher could realistically send Colaiacovo and other assets to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Colaiacovo will be a solid top 4 defenceman for the next 10+ years. I'm sure NHL scouts can see that.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
From who, who the hell would give that up for the oft injured defenseman who hasn't lived up to hype and isn't a prospect anymore?

You don't think he's, just maybe, pandering to the pro-Leafs listening audience.

Until I see it, there is NO WAY that Colaiacovo is worth more then a 4th.
[QUOTE=Jimmi Jenkins;15740040]

Campoli, Meyer and Gervais are better, so no they wouldn't.

[QUOTE]

I'd take 20 games from Colaiacovo than any of those tools.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post
Some of you hockey fans need to watch Carlo Colaiacovo play
If he was ever on the ice maybe we'd watch him more. Until the...He's worth nothing, whether you think so or not.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Madic

I don't get why fans are actually trying to defend Cola's trade value. Let it go. He isn't worth much, at all.

Defending his potential? Sure, I get that. His ability to step into most NHL lineups? Absolutely. But his trade value? Come on, just give it up. Most people here are correct: he wouldn't get squat, and they likely wouldn't be justified taking the risk even with a 3rd round pick.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Some of you hockey fans need to watch Carlo Colaiacovo play before calling him overrated with little upside. Colaiacovo is a legitimate top 4 defenceman, do not be surprised if he goes somewhere and shines. It's taken a long time for him to finally get to where he is, but Carlo is still young. He's going to be a #3-4 defenceman on a team fighting for a playoff spot, he can play in every situation.

Trust me, this is not a case of overrating him. He seems to be over his injuries and has made it clear this year that he's 100% and doesn't even feel like the same injury-plagued player he was in the past.

As a Leafs fan I think that Fletcher could realistically send Colaiacovo and other assets to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Colaiacovo will be a solid top 4 defenceman for the next 10+ years. I'm sure NHL scouts can see that.
The bottom line is he hasn't proven anything. A few games in the pre-season isn't going to swing a GM's opinion that he's worth more, and clear of his injury-proness tag (or bad luck).

And if he is healthy for the year, and does produce at his potential, then the chances are he won't be traded anyways because his value to the Leafs will be a hell of alot more (both as a player and his contract). It would probably make someone like Kubina or Kaberle more expendable then anything.

Until Carlo proves he cannot only survive 65+ NHL games, but play well in all 65+ of them, his value is what it is .. not much outside of the Leafs organization (IMO).

On the flip side, if he was dealt for anything substantial it would be a huge gamble by the other GM. I sure wouldn't complain, but I'd be shocked.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Brian28

Personally Colas value is very low. Until he can play over 60 games and contrubute in most of them he's all potential and no substance. Havlat has lots of potential as well...but would any team trade something substantial to aquire him with how ofetn he's on the IR list? Same aplpies to Cola. The vast majority of posters in this thread agree...that kind of suggests his value is pretty low.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 10-08-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote
Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
TheKiller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post

Personally Colas value is very low. Until he can play over 60 games and contrubute in most of them he's all potential and no substance. Havlat has lots of potential as well...but would any team trade something substantial to aquire him with how ofetn he's on the IR list? Same aplpies to Cola. The vast majority of posters in this thread agree...that kind of suggests his value is pretty low.

A 4th round pick for colaicavo? The guy is obviously wrong.

When it comes to value, this forum seems to place a lot of emphasis on "potential", which is fine. But when it comes to a player with a ton of potential, it is argued (by you above), that all he has is potential... Something about a player dawning a leafs jersey that makes everyone automatically deflate their value.

A prime example of this is Luke Schenn. Everybody was all high on Luke as being the most NHL ready player. As soon as he's drafted by the Leafs you've got everyone running around saying he's nothing more than a 4th Defenseman career potential. Everyone also starts yapping about the Leafs giving him a 9 game tryout being bad for his development (conveniently ignoring Doughts, Petro, and Bogo).

It gets a little tiresome when people have their hate on for Leafs prospects, simply because of the jersey they wear.

Colaiacavo is worth far more than a 4th round draft pick! I can assure you that NHL Scouts agree.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 10-08-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote
TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
I'm not too worried about negative points.

A 4th round pick for colaicavo? The guy is obviously wrong.

When it comes to value, this forum seems to place a lot of emphasis on "potential", which is fine. But when it comes to a player with a ton of potential, it is argued (by you above), that all he has is potential... Something about a player dawning a leafs jersey that makes everyone automatically deflate their value.

A prime example of this is Luke Schenn. Everybody was all high on Luke as being the most NHL ready player. As soon as he's drafted by the Leafs you've got everyone running around saying he's nothing more than a 4th Defenseman career potential. Everyone also starts yapping about the Leafs giving him a 9 game tryout being bad for his development (conveniently ignoring Doughts, Petro, and Bogo).

It gets a little tiresome when people have their hate on for Leafs prospects, simply because of the jersey they wear.

is worth far more than a 4th round draft pick! I can assure you that NHL Scouts agree.
Maybe if he gets a full season under his belt. But no one is giving a 1st rounder or blue-chipper for him...no matter how good he is for 40 games.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Donkeyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
I don't get why fans are actually trying to defend Cola's trade value. Let it go. He isn't worth much, at all.

Defending his potential? Sure, I get that. His ability to step into most NHL lineups? Absolutely. But his trade value? Come on, just give it up. Most people here are correct: he wouldn't get squat, and they likely wouldn't be justified taking the risk even with a 3rd round pick.
Spot on ! There's a difference between the quality of a player and his trade value.

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
My Sweet Shadow

How bout Toronto keeps Colaiacovo. I'd rather see Van Ryn, Finger, Kubina, or Frogren gone before I see him gone. He might as well have a chance to play a full season of quality minutes before we try and dump him for crap like a 4th or AHL roster fillers. Two years ago he had 8-9-17 in 48 games. With a full season now...he could easily have 15-20-35...so I'd rather take my chances and, you know, develope some of our own talent instead of selling when the markets low.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
5th rounder. He's got no value

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
5th rounder. He's got no value
Which is exactly why he wont be traded anywhere at this point. He has the skill to be a top 2 defender, but is a virtual unknown because of injury.

If Carlo plays a full season, that means Kubina or Kaberle go on the block.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
mgeise

Although an intradivision trade won't happen, he has about equivalent value to Clarke MacArthur in Buffalo. Cola has potential, as does MacArthur, but both are being overshadowed by other prospects and haven't impressed to the level they are expected to at this point in their careers. If Buffalo didn't have an overstock on D, a deal of MacArthur for Cola+4th/5th round pick would be good value on both sides.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
goliath5151

Quote:

Being injury prone isnt a switch you can turn off and on. Besides, whats he gonna say? Of course hes gonna say he feels "better than ever" EVERYONE says that.

How can you possibly say with certainty that he'll be a top 4 player for 10+ years? Keep in mind, I never said he didnt have the skill, but considering his injuries, why should anyone believe he'll suddenly become an iron man?

Carlo Colaiacovo has extremely low trade value relative to his skill. Hes got great skill, but other gms have to consider his skill vs his injury history before hey gamble away significant assets.