HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Lactose Intolerant - Possible to develop later in life?

Old
10-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Robo Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Robo Boogie
Lactose Intolerant - Possible to develop later in life?

Alright, so I have a question. This may seem sort of obscene or gross to many of you, but I'd figure I would give it a shot. Lately I haven't been able to have any solid....stools. I've never really had this problem before and it's been going on for the past week and a half or so. My diet has always consisted of a lot of dairy, but what the hell, for some reason I think I'm unable to digest it now? My biggest problem is cheese. I love cheese on pretty much anything...anything that cheese is appropriate with I'm usually all over it. I'm in college, and of course it's that time of the month where I haven't gone grocery shopping in awhile, and last night I was scrounging through the cupboards, and decided to make one of those cheap Past Roni dinners, it was the four cheese flavor so of course it looked enticing. So I made it, and of course the first 2...maybe 3 bites tasted amazing....Then, before I knew it, I was running to the toilet clenching my rear end in fear of some leakage. Needless to say, I spent atleast 25 minutes on the john. I went to the doctor and he said I'm in perfect health. I even started eating a lot of fiber lately, (a lot of nuts, and cereal such as grape nuts). Nothing is helping. So should I completely cut out all dairy and see if that's the problem? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way? I was also thinking that it could be do from the fact that I'm out with my buddies getting drunk at the bars 3 or 4 times a week, but again, I've never had this problem before, and I've been drinkin' like that since I turned 21. Can you develop an intolerance for lactose later in life? Sorry for the descriptiveness.

Robo Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
excape

Yes, you can.

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
HabSim

I started being lactose intolerant at around 15, I'm now 22. But I don't know why it started randomly. Cause when I was younger I was drinking at least a glass of milk per day. But all of a sudden, I realized I couldn't support dairy anymore.

The best thing maybe would be to start cutting all dairies from your menu, just to see if it is really lactose intolerance that you got.

If it is, well, you'll have to change your menu. Your best friend at start could very well be Lactaid pills. A little bit expensive, but it helps you slowing down the dairies if you want to be able to eat cheese.

Another thing would be to look for alternatives. Like goat cheese, lactose free milk and lactose free ice cream.

But I have to say that lactose intolerance is not the same for all the people that have that. For some it may be stronger than for others.

Find books about the subject, look for alternatives and try to change you menu progressively, and buy some Lactaid pills for special occasions, like when you go to restaurants. A big bunch of restaurant plates includes cheese or milk in different ways... That's the way I attacked it, and it worked pretty well.

But the good thing is that it is much less dangerous than any allergies That and the fact that it may not be permanent.

HabSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
usernam

YAHOO! Answers to the rescue:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7062526AATgPGv

Quote:
Yeap, I developed it after my daughter was born, it has progressively gotten worst. First just milk bothered me, then cheese, now yogurt . . . it sucks! As far as diseases or medications which cause it, I am not aware of any, but I would suppose that anything which would kill the bacteria in your gut could have some type of affect. Lactose intolerance, as you stated, is simply a lack of an enzyme that the bateria in your gut make to break-down lactose. I read (although I can not reference it at this moment) that if you stop ingesting dairy products, the bacteria stop making the enzyme, I am not sure if this is 100% correct, but perhaps it's a type of "evolutionary process" our individual bodies go through in adapting to our environment . . . that's my hypothesis :-) Also, various ethnic groups, particulary hispanic's are lactose intolerant.
I find it helpful to take those lactose pills, I have to take two if I want to drink a glass of milk, but every once in a while I just get a craving to go crazy on the dairy

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Robo Boogie

Thanks for all the updates friends. I'll let you know if it works....

Old
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Shark View Post
Alright, so I have a question. This may seem sort of obscene or gross to many of you, but I'd figure I would give it a shot. Lately I haven't been able to have any solid....stools. I've never really had this problem before and it's been going on for the past week and a half or so. My diet has always consisted of a lot of dairy, but what the hell, for some reason I think I'm unable to digest it now? My biggest problem is cheese. I love cheese on pretty much anything...anything that cheese is appropriate with I'm usually all over it. I'm in college, and of course it's that time of the month where I haven't gone grocery shopping in awhile, and last night I was scrounging through the cupboards, and decided to make one of those cheap Past Roni dinners, it was the four cheese flavor so of course it looked enticing. So I made it, and of course the first 2...maybe 3 bites tasted amazing....Then, before I knew it, I was running to the toilet clenching my rear end in fear of some leakage. Needless to say, I spent atleast 25 minutes on the john. I went to the doctor and he said I'm in perfect health. I even started eating a lot of fiber lately, (a lot of nuts, and cereal such as grape nuts). Nothing is helping. So should I completely cut out all dairy and see if that's the problem? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way? I was also thinking that it could be do from the fact that I'm out with my buddies getting drunk at the bars 3 or 4 times a week, but again, I've never had this problem before, and I've been drinkin' like that since I turned 21. Can you develop an intolerance for lactose later in life? Sorry for the descriptiveness.

This happened to me too, welcome. My doctor told me it only gets worse over time, you become less tolerant

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Twist and Shout

That sucks, cheese is delicious.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
That sucks, cheese is delicious.
...and ice cream

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Can you develop an intolerance for lactose later in life? Sorry for the descriptiveness.
You can develop all sorts of allergies later in life and conversely if you were allergic to something when you were young it's possible to not be later in life.

Old
10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Robo Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
You can develop all sorts of allergies later in life and conversely if you were allergic to something when you were young it's possible to not be later in life.

Dude, i never really thought of it as an allergy.....interesting....hmmm...I can't think of my life without cheese though. Maybe there's a way to counter act without pills. Maybe I'll try making some of masao's peanut soup :] I tired eating nuts at every meal and it made my poops a little harder...maybe i'll just start experimenting...

Old
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
sticknrink

Yes you can. Hormones affect to a degree the amount of enzymes produced to metabolize lactose. Stress possibly?

Either way, humans were never supposed to drink dairy. We're the only species to drink another species milk and drink milk out of infancy. This is as good a time to begin weaning yourself off dairy.

And also, cheese and yogurt contain very little lactose as its removed during processing. The older the cheese, the less lactose remain, and any lactose in yogurt is helped consumed by the bacteria that exists in that same yogurt.

Last edited by sticknrink: 10-08-2008 at 12:27 AM.
sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Rin

I developed it late. Those lactaid pills really do help.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:46 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf Yaber View Post
...and ice cream
Especially Ben and Jerry's made with human breast milk.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dude, i never really thought of it as an allergy.....interesting....hmmm...I can't think of my life without cheese though. Maybe there's a way to counter act without pills. Maybe I'll try making some of masao's peanut soup :] I tired eating nuts at every meal and it made my poops a little harder...maybe i'll just start experimenting...
It may or may not be an allergy. It may also be a symptom of something. For example, being lactose intolerant is a side effect of being allergic to Gluten.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Pangolin

I was actually lactose intolerant from the summer of 2001 to summer 2008...
I used to drink a LOT of milk (going through a couple of 2L cartons a week in 2000-2001)...then couldn't drink a mouthfull without getting the runs...
I really love it so I would keep trying once in a blue moon and this past summer, I had a bowl of cereal with no problem suddenly...tried more and more and now I can drink as much as I want with no problem..

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Milk always made me cry when I was a baby, so they had me on soy. I don't remember milk bugging me until like 8 months ago or so, I used to drink chocolate milk a lot. So, yeah. It's only milk or yogurts that bug me, I can handle ice cream sometimes, my doctor thinks it's the different lactose concentrations.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
E_Godard

Yes you can. My girlfriend developed it after giving birth but never had a problem with it before.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Yes.

And the intolerance can go into a full blown allergy.

10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Sometimes i wonder if its the chemicals used to process products people are allergic to.

I can eat pizza. No problems.However noticed sometimes I can eat a few pieces of cheese with no effect,but last year, even one mini Babybel affected me adversly. But then again, I've had some really weird things going on....For almost the entire monh of March I ate like a bird because more than small servings of food made me feel like I'd swallowed a cheese grater. I gave up spicy foods, which sucked because I love jalapenos on things.I had a constant dull stomachache for weeks on end. It went away eventually.Symptoms returned for a couple weeks in August, but now have gone away again and I can even drink a small milk or eat a burger with some jalapenos, with no problems. My doctor said it was probably IBS. I'm thinking of getting another doctor as all she did as ask questions and did absolutly no tests. Yeah, thanks, I can get the same results from googling

BTW, lactose intolerance can be solved by taking Lactaid. Just make sure thats what you have.

Another thing you can try is cutting down on beverages that aren't water. I found i cannot drink more than one glass of anything that isn't water without getting major upset stomach
Be sure to replace your beverage with water, as you do not want to be dehydrated.

Last edited by octopi: 10-08-2008 at 09:20 AM.
octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Impossibles

I'm a strong believer in food allergy testing, ever since my fiance finally got tested after dealing with symptoms for 5 years. Only naturopaths do it, Doctors don't for some reason. They take a blood sample and send to it a lab, it comes back with foods that your body can't handle. Since she changed her diet, her stomach has been 1000% better.

For her, it turned out to be wheat, milk protiens (not the lactose, the proteins are used in many other products), and peanuts. We would have never found out all those things by trial and error because she could have eliminated one thing from her diet and still had problems.

She loved cheese too, but one solace is that goat cheese is MUCH easier on the stomach and she can eat that with no problems. You could try that to get your cheese fix.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
I'm a strong believer in food allergy testing, ever since my fiance finally got tested after dealing with symptoms for 5 years. Only naturopaths do it, Doctors don't for some reason. They take a blood sample and send to it a lab, it comes back with foods that your body can't handle. Since she changed her diet, her stomach has been 1000% better.

For her, it turned out to be wheat, milk protiens (not the lactose, the proteins are used in many other products), and peanuts. We would have never found out all those things by trial and error because she could have eliminated one thing from her diet and still had problems.

She loved cheese too, but one solace is that goat cheese is MUCH easier on the stomach and she can eat that with no problems. You could try that to get your cheese fix.

What happened to the poetry?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
What happened to the poetry?
not all poetry looks the same

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
I accidently a whole fleshlight!

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Airborne Troll*

Yes, you can

I ate schrimps for 10 years without having any problems

Last year, I ate schrimps and almost died of an anaphylactic reaction

Since then, I'm allergic to shellfish

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators Master View Post
Yes, you can

I ate schrimps for 10 years without having any problems

Last year, I ate schrimps and almost died of an anaphylactic reaction

Since then, I'm allergic to shellfish
Damn, that's pretty serious.

All this talk about suddenly not being able to stomach something you used to crave makes me think, for some reason, about a guy I knew who woke up one morning and decided he was gay. Maybe it's the fact that it's out of your control and you must accept it...It's kinda of scary though to think that I may die one morning of an allergic reaction after downing a glass of milk like I do every morning.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote