HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

high-end goalie prospect to los angeles - what would it take?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 12:27 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
high-end goalie prospect to los angeles - what would it take?

if los angeles were interested in acquiring an A-list goalie prospect, what would it take? i'm not trying to go after any specific one or propose any real trades, but more just trying to gauge what the value of young A-list goal prospects is. another question for consideration might be, would it be more expensive to trade for a high-end prospect a year or two after he has been drafted or trade up on draft day to get one?

Old
02-26-2004, 12:30 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
if los angeles were interested in acquiring an A-list goalie prospect, what would it take? i'm not trying to go after any specific one or propose any real trades, but more just trying to gauge what the value of young A-list goal prospects is. another question for consideration might be, would it be more expensive to trade for a high-end prospect a year or two after he has been drafted or trade up on draft day to get one?
It would be best for you to try and trade up on draft day and get a guy like Montoya, IMO. I think that would more likely cost less than going out and getting a guy like Ahonen or Miller (who probably only get moved for someone like Frolov).

Old
02-26-2004, 12:31 PM
st_roland

Quote:

Probably a decent defensive prospect. I.E. Gleason for Cash in dallas

Edit-From a Wsh standpoint i'd trade Daigneault for Gleason. He's a "high-end" prospect, but not a bluechipper like Toivonen, Ouellet, Emery or Miller.

Last edited by st_roland: 02-26-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon
It would be best for you to try and trade up on draft day and get a guy like Montoya, IMO. I think that would more likely cost less than going out and getting a guy like Ahonen or Miller (who probably only get moved for someone like Frolov).
There are so many goalies with no jobs right now, I'm sure it wouldn't take Frolov to get you Ryan Miller.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
High-end, A-list goalie prospects will be expensive at all times, really. Beyond that, it is typically a case-by-case basis, so without targeting a particular player over another, it is difficult to say much more in that vein. You don't just need to find a good A-list prospect, but a team deep in goaltending that will be willing to give up that player to fill a need. While A-list goalies are somewhat plentiful, available A-list prospect goalies are not. Even then, teams will want to hold onto their top goalie prospect, and may dangle their second-best goalie prospect... their #3 in the organization, after the starter and the top young kid. Teams loaded right now include Buffalo, Anaheim, Washington... not too many more. San Jose used to top that list, but they've now dealt Kiprusoff.

I think the cost is likely to be another pretty good forward or defense prospect.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-26-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Hossa

Quote:
I'd suggest going to get Ilya Bryzgalov out of Anaheim. They have Giguere and Gerber, so they're set for now and for several years to come. Bryzgalov is one of the most talented goalie prospects around and could step in as a back-up right away. He's a much better prospect than Cash for example, but wouldn't cost as much as Miller.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
I would say Ahonen out of New Jersey would be a good target. It's fairly obvious that the Devils currently have the best goalie in the world between the pipes and they'll likely do everything it takes to sign him to a long term deal, meaning Ahonen isn't a guy that the Devils have to keep around and likely could be had.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Benji Frank

Checkmanek for Sauve ... call it in..

Old
02-26-2004, 12:38 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
There are so many goalies with no jobs right now, I'm sure it wouldn't take Frolov to get you Ryan Miller.
Perhaps not, but goaltending prospects are different than goalies. There are tons of NHL-caliber goalies that could be had for a fairly cheap price, but goalie prospects like Miller or Ahonen are with teams deep in goaltenders and are not going to be rushed to the NHL. So I don't really think they would have as low of value as say, a guy like Hurme.

But I will admit that perhaps suggesting it would take Frolov to get Miller was an exaggeration. But it would take more than it would to move up a few slots to draft Montoya, IMO.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Oh geeze......Ahonen for Frolov? I'd do that without even thinking twice.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:45 PM
dats-13

After watching the play of Rosa and Hudler at the AHL all-star game, they had instant chemistry...

(remeber he wants to go back to Europe so here goes...)

To Det: Rosa, either LA's 2nd or Det's 2nd (from the Schneider deal)
To LA: Liv (very very good goaltender prospect)

Old
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Oh geeze......Ahonen for Frolov? I'd do that without even thinking twice.
Yeah but the Kings wouldn't :p

Frolov is easily the most under rated young guy out there. He gets no credit for what he's doing and that's taking the Kings at the age of 21 and basically putting them on his back and carrying them. Everyone can see his obvious offensive talent but more needs to be said about his outstanding two way game. He's a +16 right now on the Kings and is only going to get bigger with age when he fills out his frame which will make it all that much more easy for him to push some of these guys around to create room for himself and create serious problems for anyone he's matched up against.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:49 PM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Yeah but the Kings wouldn't :p
Nah, they definitely want to. :p

Old
02-26-2004, 01:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
I'd suggest going to get Ilya Bryzgalov out of Anaheim. They have Giguere and Gerber, so they're set for now and for several years to come. Bryzgalov is one of the most talented goalie prospects around and could step in as a back-up right away. He's a much better prospect than Cash for example, but wouldn't cost as much as Miller.
I doubt the Ducks and Kings are going to trade with each other.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:44 PM
B-MEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
After watching the play of Rosa and Hudler at the AHL all-star game, they had instant chemistry...

(remeber he wants to go back to Europe so here goes...)

To Det: Rosa, either LA's 2nd or Det's 2nd (from the Schneider deal)
To LA: Liv (very very good goaltender prospect)
Both 2nd's were traded away this past summer. (Cechmanek and Stumple)

Make it a 2nd in 2005

Old
02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
dats-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin Man
Both 2nd's were traded away this past summer. (Cechmanek and Stumple)

Make it a 2nd in 2005
ok, LA's 2nd in 2005

I would do that deal...

Old
02-26-2004, 03:04 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
ok, LA's 2nd in 2005

I would do that deal...
i would be on that deal like a fly on poo. i had no idea that it would be so cheap. get your boy holland on the phone, lets do this.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Hitman*

It would be easier and cheaper to just draft one of Scwarz, Montoya or Dubnyk. I can't see any of them going in the top 10 with the teams that will be picking there.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
leafaholix*

Pickup either Schwarz (trade-up), Montoya (trade-up), or Dubnyk in the draft.

Montoya is the exact opposite of Cechmanek... he's positionally sound and plays the puck like a forward.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:17 PM
punchy1

Hey Nav, it looks like what I wrote in our forum about this subject is felt the same by others around the league. It looks like they too feel we could get one for an upper mid level prospect (Rosa) and a nice pick.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:46 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Kings and Ducks will never make a trade.

Gerber will be moved within a year or two by the way...then we will have Bryz and Giggy.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:16 PM
dats-13

Quote:
i would be on that deal like a fly on poo. i had no idea that it would be so cheap. get your boy holland on the phone, lets do this.
I talked to him about it, and he's thinking about it...

(he had Sather on the other line)

Old
02-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I doubt the Ducks and Kings are going to trade with each other.
You're right, the last thing the Ducks want is for the Kings to do well. The playoffs last year were too hard to watch, but alls well that ends well.

Old
02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Hey Nav, it looks like what I wrote in our forum about this subject is felt the same by others around the league. It looks like they too feel we could get one for an upper mid level prospect (Rosa) and a nice pick.
yeah, i was pretty surprised that the price was (at least perceived to be around here) so low. if it were that easy to upgrade goalie prospects, then i have to conclude that taylor and co. are pretty happy with the organization's goalie prospects since they haven't made any moves (since signing chouinard - last summer was it?).

Old
02-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Street Hawk

Trading is better than drafting...

Quote:
Al Montoya is the best goalie available in this coming draft, but he's only a freshman at Michigan and is still a good 3 years away from playing in the NHL.

With Cechmanek's deal over at the end of the season (thank goodness for LA's sake), they will need someone to pair with Huet. Ideally, they would like someone who can play now, as opposed to waiting for the kid to develop.

Looking around the league, here are some names and teams to keep in mind.

New Jersey Devils
Ari Arhonen. Brodeur is in the middle of a 5 year deal, with 3 years left on it and with Ari being 23 this year, it's time for him to be moved. Marty doesn't play fewer than 70 games a year, so AA won't be seeing any ice time in the next couple of seasons. He's expendable at the deadline for NJ, but since LA is fighting for its playoff lives, hard to move out a player from the roster to get the goalie of the future.

Washington Capitals
Maxime Ouellet. Kolzig has 2 years left on his deal and given that he hasn't been dealt yet, or appears that he will get dealt by the deadline, the Caps might be stuck with him. If they decide to hold onto Ouellet, the Caps need to start playing him at the NHL level after the CBA and begin to cut into Kolzig's starts. Max would have to play at least 30 games in the NHL to make it worth while to have him up.

Rastislav Stana. He made the AHL all star team this year and is developing well in the AHL. Probably not as good a prospect as Ouellet, but does give the Caps some options.

Buffalo Sabres
Mikka Noronen. He's sandwiched in between Biron and Miller in terms of age, so it depends what the Sabres want to do with their goalie situation. Miller should be up with the team post CBA, so one of Biron or Noronen has to go.

Martin Biron. Buffalo would probably like to move out Biron, since he has a much high contract than Noronen.

Anaheim
Ilya Bryzgalov. Giguere and Gerber are entreched in Anaheim. And with 3 more years left on Giggy contract, not going to be much ice time for the kid down the line. LA might think of trying for Gerber if they fell he's up to the challenge of being a #1 guy.

Dallas
Jason Bacashihua and Tobias Stefan. With Turco as the #1 guy for years to come, not going to see either guy play any significant time in nets for the Stars long term.

Colorado
Philippe Sauve and Peter Budaj. Abby has played great this year for the Avs. With only 1 spot open for the backup, one will have to be moved.

And of course, depending on how the TB Lightning perform this playoff, Khabibulan could be made available.

So, LA does have options to get a young goalie via a trade. Having assets like Aulin, Cammy, Tambellini, Gleason and company does make their chances better. Not to mention, freeing up salary from Allison and Deadmarsh (not Qualifying them) and resigning Palffy at a reduced contract and being rid of Cechmanek.

Of the teams that will miss the playoffs this year:

West: Minny, Edm, Phx, Ana, Chi, Cbs, one of (StL, LA, Nash)
East: Pit, Wash, Fla, NYR, Atl, Car, Buf

The ones that I can see looking seriously at Montoya are:
Minny, although they do have Josh Harding, but Roloson turns 35 late this year.
Florida, although Luongo is still only going to turn 25 this year. A little premature to think goaltending this early, more likely a 2nd round consideration for the Cats.
Chicago, depends how they think Anderson and Leighton performed this past year, as well as the development of Adam Munro. But, seeing as they should have a top 4 pick, they will probably go with a skater.

This leaves the #9 seed in the west. Won't be Nashville because they have Finley, but St. Louis could use Montoya. With this draft, not being as deep or strong as last year's, there are going to be teams willing to trade down for one of LA's good prospects.

Minny is the only real competition for Montoya, along with St. Louis.

Closed Thread