HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Brendan Shanahan Talk Here (Shanny and Rangers Part Ways)

View Poll Results: Do you Want Shanny Back?
Yes 70 38.46%
No 112 61.54%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
All Brendan Shanahan Talk Here (Shanny and Rangers Part Ways)

NHL LIVE's Don La Greca just said that Darren Dreger of TSN says the signing of Shanny is imminent by the Rangers.

No link at the moment.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
They're also speculating that Prucha is on the way out

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Ruin my day why don't you.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
ThisYearsModel

Saw that too. I am not happy about this development. There is no room for him. This also means that Prucha has to be moved.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Nich

eh, honestly i have no problem with this. prucha needs another place and really with cherepanov coming over next year better sooner than later.

expect shanny to be sitting right in front of the crease on the dubinsky line....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Great..just lovely. Can't wait until 5 games in he is playing on the 2nd line and on the PP and getting 19 minutes of ice time. Then by December he has nothing left in the tank again and is useless out there.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
I heard La Greca talking like Shanny was already signed, but I think he was saying it like "The Rangers signing Shannahan doesn't do much for them", as in if they were to sign him, not that they already had.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

A stupid move if true...A move that will backfire on the Rangers when Shanny is his usual old, hurt, stationary useless self at the end of the year just like the past two seasons...I have no problem with letting go of either Prucha or Sjostrom but build with what you have or get a real forward for the 2nd line.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Unk

I don't wanna believe it until I see it...

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Looks likely...

http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/

Quote:
"We haven't agreed to terms anywhere," Shanahan's agent Rick Curran said today.

At the same time, Curran sounded more optimistic than he has in a while that Shanahan returning to the Rangers was a real possibility. Curran will again talk with Rangers GM Glen Sather later today with the hope that "by the end of the day, we'll be able to sign with the Rangers."
EDIT: I will say... he better be signing for less than $1 million. I don't care if we get that space by trading Prucha or waiving Rissmiller.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I really don't get it. Where could he possibly fit?

If Voros ends up on the 2nd line and Dawes gets moved down, where is the hole? It makes absolutely no sense.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:08 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Bad move. Trading a 26 year old with who currently has a low trade value in order to sign a 39 (almost 40) year old.

I can't see this working out well. This team has enough leadership as it is, we don't need Shanahan. Unless Prucha gets back someone who will be useful (which I doubt, will probably be mid-round picks) then it's a terrible move.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

From Sam

Quote:
According to Rick Curran, Brendan Shanahan’s agent, the right wing’s return to New York is still very much a possibility after speaking with Glen Sather this week.

The possible hold up? You guessed it. The Rangers have virtually no money under the salary cap.

“Sufficed to say we’ve had conversations, as we’ve had all summer,” Curran said. “We know what the problems are, and unfortunately, there’s nothing that we can do to solve it. We’ve been told to be patient, which we’ve been doing.”
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
ogie

i'll believe it when i see it. I lost track of how many times in the past few weeks a Shanny signing rumor reared it's ugly head.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Fletch

I'm mixed...

the sad part is this team seemed to be going in the right direction with the kids and giving the spots and real shots (and this has a bit to do with their salaries are $2MM and less and you can't be top-heavy unless you have guys on the bottom to stay within the cap). A Shanny signing would signal a bit of impatience and potentially a knee-jerk reaction to Dawes' subpar preseason (and Prucha not scoring 5 goals in preseason and 2 at home on the weekend) and what I thought were two games in which he mostly went through the motions despite have a couple good opportunities. This cannot be a signing because of leadership, in my opinion, because despite this team being one of the youngest, it does have quite a few vets up front and especially on the blue line (the average is interesting since there are several 23 and under guys, several 30 and older guys, creating an average of about 25-26+, I would guess, although there are few, if any, 25-26+ year olds).

But, at the end of the day, we have to look at the roster today (while thinking about tomorrow). If managed properly, Shanny would be an asset. He's a guy who probably should play 10 ES minutes and 2-3 PP minutes. If Renney stuck to that schedule (which really would mean playing with Korps), then Shanny can be an asset. A third liner with some PP time who can net about 15+ goals.

We'll see.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If this is about leadership it's a terrible move. This is Drury & Gomez's team. We also have Naslund, Redden, Lundqvist and the emergence of Dubinsky and possibly Staal it seems. Heck with the way Mara gives interviews, possibly even him.

No need for Shanahan if this about leadership. At the same time, he can't be playing 2nd line minutes and also how much is he going to make? If it's more than $1.6 million it won't be just Prucha going out the door.

Voros is already on line two and Dawes on line three in practice with Prucha on the 4th. Shows how much patience the team is having with both Prucha and Dawes.

Old
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Kostik

Oh crap. So Sather wanted Prucha to play in Prague and trade him afterwards so he can sign Shanny?
Shanny will be done by the end of December...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Ace2008

i'd gladly have prucha and sjostrom Flanking Dubinsky and watch the trio combine for about 70 goals from the 3rd or 4th line despite only getting 15 mins a night

please do remember that After Gomez/Drury

Dubinsky and Prucha are 2 of the most important scorers in terms of points per/minute

As for Sjostrom...why in the heck would trading/ cutting one of the teams only speedy power forwards(*Dubinsky* being the other)
make sense??

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
i'd gladly have prucha and sjostrom Flanking Dubinsky and watch the trio combine for about 70 goals from the 3rd or 4th line despite only getting 15 mins a night

Dubinsky and Prucha are 2 of the most important scorers in terms of points per/minute

As for Sjostrom...why in the heck would trading/ cutting one of the teams only speedy power forwards(*Dubinsky* being the other)
make sense??
This is the New York Rangers, trades are different here.

Old
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
I like Shanny, but he doesn't have a place on this team this year, and I don't want to see Prucha go. I'd like to see what he can do this season, I think he knows he really needs to have a good year, or he's done on a team he likes being a part of.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

make sense??
Theres so much wrong here, that I dont really know where to begin.

Wow, you really blew my mind with this post.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

2 steps forward, one step back

que the report that we are about to sign adam graves as well...in 3....2....1

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
rangers13

iam happy iam sad and mixed. i dont know what to think.
happy-because shanny can give u 20 goals
sad-because he is old
mixed-because its a one year shanny over prucha who still has to show some things
idk iam coonfused

rangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

make sense??
And this would be based on all the goals and production provided by Sjostrom and Prucha for the Rangers last year? .Face it, these two move around, that's all they do...Pretty worthless.

Unfortunately, because of players like them, we indeed need a 2nd line forward...Just that Shanny is nowhere near the answer and will be just as useless in a short time..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
mti79

This is ridiculous... Prucha gets 2 regular season games and because he doesn't pot one Slats is shipping him out for Shanny? I guess it doesn't matter that Pru-Korp-Cally were playing great. Why would we want to give them a real chance to see what they could do? Unbelievable...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote