HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Brendan Shanahan Talk Here (Shanny and Rangers Part Ways)

View Poll Results: Do you Want Shanny Back?
Yes 70 38.46%
No 112 61.54%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
That's the point. Renney cannot resist overusing Shanahan. The only way to ensure Shanny not being overused is not to sign him.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
We will soon be ShannyCapped.

I still want him back tho.
That is simply stupid. Where was all this Shanny hate when he was putting the team up 1-0 to start the shootout or fighting Brashear.

Everyone watch this, then post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwxPIlOJL5c

The loyalty to the players on your team is awful here. Why dont you just appreciate what you have. Be happy you arent a Panthers fan.

Assuming he comes cheap and we dump some useless bottom 6 forwards, this is a good thing. The only bad thing is that he may undermine Drury and Gomez's leadership on the team.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

If I were a NYR fan, I'd be bummed. This reminds me of when John Leclair signed with the Pens.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Great..just lovely. Can't wait until 5 games in he is playing on the 2nd line and on the PP and getting 19 minutes of ice time. Then by December he has nothing left in the tank again and is useless out there.
That is why Shanny better be skating on the Betts line......if he plays their he is very usefull, then just on spurts on the PK and not so sure about the PP but let's be serious of course he will play there too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Plus it's better then giving up on Prucha and/or Dawes two games in.
2 games in? Dawes I could see cutting some slack but Prucha has had time to find his game.

10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
If I were a NYR fan, I'd be bummed. This reminds me of when John Leclair signed with the Pens.
He was a 2nd leading goal scorer last season.

He was way over used by Renny and he ran out of gas. If hes used correctly he's an asset at the right $$$

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Vitto79

3 pm is the deadline...........I know they don't really have to do a move by that time as they are already under but I think it's going down

I see Prucha for a 7th Dman and pick
Rissmiller waived or a late round pick

Shanny signed
Fahey or Potter up depending on if a forward brings back a D man

Old
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Stick his shot on our powerplay and he could score 25 goals. He can only maintain his effectiveness if Renney utilizes him correctly.
If those were realistic expectations, he'd have been signed months ago. If Renney even THINKS those are achievable, it assures he's already committed to overuse him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
SML

I just don't see how this will work. The team is going in a different direction. Everyone is faster, and how Shanny fits that model, I can't figure out. That being said, there's a lack of proven established talent on the wings when you get past Naslund and for the time being, converted center Drury. I can see how you have to be very careful going into a season without much depth. Prucha reminds me more of Radek Dvorak every day. He had one great offensive season, but it was the exception and not the rule. They should take what they can get for him before he either has no value or he gets himself killed. Dawes hopefully will improve, but you have to have someone ready if he doesn't. How Renney is going to get Shanny to agree to a reduced role and Sather is going to get him at a reduced price is beyond me. But if Naslund or Drury get injured, the guy could easily move up to one of your top two lines and fill in for a while. He definitely cannot hang anymore as an every night, first line minute player anymore, though.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
wa2k99

I have no beef trading Prucha. I want a physical d-man back though.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We have enough defensemen.

What we really need is a top 6 forward.

Shanahan is not that guy. Pointless move signing Shanahan.

If you are going to trade Prucha, package him for someone like Vermette or Afinogenov.

Don't send him off for crap and then sign a 40 year old who can't keep up.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
I have no beef trading Prucha. I want a physical d-man back though.
Beggars cant be choosers.

It'll be difficult enough to net an NHL'er for Prucha in a trade...thats how much his value has diminished. Besides, the point is to clear salary.

Prucha for a 3rd round pick sounds much more likely.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I just don't see how this will work. The team is going in a different direction. Everyone is faster, and how Shanny fits that model, I can't figure out. That being said, there's a lack of proven established talent on the wings when you get past Naslund and for the time being, converted center Drury. I can see how you have to be very careful going into a season without much depth. Prucha reminds me more of Radek Dvorak every day. He had one great offensive season, but it was the exception and not the rule. They should take what they can get for him before he either has no value or he gets himself killed. Dawes hopefully will improve, but you have to have someone ready if he doesn't. How Renney is going to get Shanny to agree to a reduced role and Sather is going to get him at a reduced price is beyond me. But if Naslund or Drury get injured, the guy could easily move up to one of your top two lines and fill in for a while. He definitely cannot hang anymore as an every night, first line minute player anymore, though.
Shannahan, Betts, Fritsche
Orr, Sjostrom

They better be thinking this and not playing him on the top lines

if he does accept this role and gets limited minutes it could give some scoring on the bottom lines

although I can see them totally putting him with Zherdev and Dubinsky........ugh

Old
DutchShamrock

Oh boy. If this happens here are the issues:

How do we afford him? Prucha is gone and probably so is Rissmiller although Rissmiller is probably gone one way or the other. Fritsche or Sjostrom may get the Rissmiller treatment as well. In a sense, this part I like, we are forced to clean out the lineup of the redundancy. Shanny's presence will force out no less than 2 bottom 6 players.

Where does he play? RW? Drury for the moment is working out on the first line, Zherdev and Dubinsky seem like they will click and be very dangerous (also, Shanny will kill the speed either line has). Callahan is the perfect fit on the 3rd line and Orr seems like he will be hard to move from the 4th.

That means Shanny on the right forces Drury to Center or LW which would force Dawes or Korpi out.

Shanny on the left probably puts him in Prucha's spot on the 3rd line which actually isn't terrible... not that I'm in love with it or that I prefer it, but it isn't terrible.

What eventually happens? Renney panicks and puts Shanny on the top 6. Dawes doesn't start scoring in, oh say 4 or 5 games, Shanny's in that spot. If the Drury/Gomez line doesn't keep it up, we could see Zherdev and Shanny as the top 2 RWs IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER with Drury either forcing Dawes out of the 2nd line or Korpi out of the 3rd. Then the minutes pile up and he's spent by Groundhog day at best.

I don't understand the sense of urgency to fix this lineup already. We do have a glout on the bottom six and some decisions to make but at least the top 6 seems to be mostly set. Moves like this will only force hasty and poor decisions on young guys before they can even settle in. If these guys won these spots in camp, there has to be some level of obligation to let them even earn that spot through 6 games before hasty changes are made.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We have enough defensemen.

What we really need is a top 6 forward.

Shanahan is not that guy. Pointless move signing Shanahan.

If you are going to trade Prucha, package him for someone like Vermette or Afinogenov.

Don't send him off for crap and then sign a 40 year old who can't keep up.
You're dreaming if you think Prucha could be the centerpiece in any deal for top 6. Absolutely dreaming.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You're dreaming if you think Prucha could be the centerpiece in any deal for top 6. Absolutely dreaming.
Did i say he would be the center piece? No.

Like i said: PACKAGE Prucha.

That could mean ANY NUMBER of things. Such as Dawes included, such as a couple prospects, such as a couple picks.

Point is, you don't send out someone you are relying on for production to some team for crap. And then sign a 40 year old.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He couldn't be the centerpiece for any deal. He's making $1.6m coming off a season of 7 goals. He weighs 155lbs and isn't known for his D. Prucha has a better chance of clearing waivers than bringing anything other than maybe Marcel Hossa back. Since he's in Russia it looks like Prucha will be going to Hartford.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Fletch

Reaslistically...

Prucha, Sjostrom and Rissmiller need to come off the books to sign Shanny, call up a defenseman, and still, when you add another forward to fill the roster, you probably don't have enough cap space to sign Shanny. I don't see Shanny signing for less than $3MM, to be honest. All need to be gone with nothing coming back. Perhaps all will spend the season in HFD, if there's room down there.

Also, perhaps Korps gets sent down and someone comes up making a bit less than him for cap space (that would be a shame) and the Rangers go back to three centermen with Shanny playing with Gomez again (not what anyone wants to hear).

As to the question of why now and not before Prague? Perhaps they didn't want the old man flying overseas. Those flights can be rough on an old man's back, especially this early in the season.

Tough to speculate. This does seem to be real though.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Garfinkel1

I have said this all off-season and still stick to it. If we can sign shanny for cheap. (minimum maybe? The guy doesn't need any more money so it would be a nice thing to do for the team), he would be one of the best 3rd line guys in the league. I would gladly have him as a 3rd line guy eating up very few minutes in a game and getting us that crucial point in Shootouts.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Did i say he would be the center piece? No.

Like i said: PACKAGE Prucha.

That could mean ANY NUMBER of things. Such as Dawes included, such as a couple prospects, such as a couple picks.

Point is, you don't send out someone you are relying on for production to some team for crap. And then sign a 40 year old.
Yes, because Prucha and Dawes plus some prospects would really net you a top 6.

Point is, you dont keep someone around thats been given ample time to produce and hasnt done so.

And, unfortunately, this 40 year old is the best option out there.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

DAMMIT.

I would be slightly ok with this if it was later in the year when Shanny will actually be worth something to the team.

Now hell be signed and will be what? They already named the captains... Is he playing second line? Hell be burned out by February.

He wasnt with the team overseas... he didnt go through camp with them... i dont understand this.

If they wanted him why not do it from the start of camp? They could have made the room then.
This is not the right decision and its terrible timing if you ask me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:45 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Speed Speed Speed....Shanahan doesn't have it anymore and this team is going towards that direction. I would trade Prucha and Rissmiller as is and not sign Shanny. We don't need him. The leadership of this team is set, the lines and chemistry are already developing into something good. Shanahan isn't needed on this team anymore. The Rangers got away from the older player mantra a long time ago and certainly threw it all out after this past offseason.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
DAMMIT.

I would be slightly ok with this if it was later in the year when Shanny will actually be worth something to the team.

Now hell be signed and will be what? They already named the captains... Is he playing second line? Hell be burned out by February.

He wasnt with the team overseas... he didnt go through camp with them... i dont understand this.

If they wanted him why not do it from the start of camp? They could have made the room then.
This is not the right decision and its terrible timing if you ask me.
Exactly. Awful move, if true.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Speed Speed Speed....Shanahan doesn't have it anymore and this team is going towards that direction. I would trade Prucha and Rissmiller as is and not sign Shanny. We don't need him. The leadership of this team is set, the lines and chemistry are already developing into something good. Shanahan isn't needed on this team anymore. The Rangers got away from the older player mantra a long time ago and certainly threw it all out after this past offseason.
Exactly x2.

Trade Prucha and Rissmiller and give Fritsche 3rd line minutes.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless Prucha has another 20-30 goal season he will more than likely be making less money next year regardless of if he's traded or not. Any move regarding Prucha that doesn't bring back a high pick or an NHL roster player is very short-sighted. Next year he'll be a RFA, you sign him for 1M or less and you have a good 3rd liner who has potential to breakout sometime down the road.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote