HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team players

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2004, 01:32 PM
  #1
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Team players

Hicks asked Modano, Guerin for help


TSN.ca Staff


2/26/2004

The Dallas Stars made one last attempt to re-sign defenseman Derian Hatcher before he agreed to terms with the Detroit Red Wings.

Stars owner Tom Hicks says he asked both Bill Guerin and Mike Modano to defer portions of their salary to free up more money to sign Hatcher. Both are among the highest paid players on the team, with Modano earning $9-million and Guerin $8.8-million this season.


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=73845


Yeah..Billy...You are a real team player. I doubt you'll win the Cup anytime soon!

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 01:46 PM
  #2
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Yeah..Billy...You are a real team player. I doubt you'll win the Cup anytime soon!
I don't understand. From the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN.CA Article
Modano denied he ever accepted the offer to defer any of his salary while Guerin also said he declined the offer.
So Modano and Guerin AREN'T team players? Is that what you are saying? Or just Guerin is because he didn't and makes less? You lost me.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
  #3
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
I'm surprised Guerin didn't take some cash off his contract. God knows he's over paid.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 01:57 PM
  #4
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,195
vCash: 500
Bitter Bruin fan..

Even if they did, there would be no guarentee a deal could be reached. Modano and Guerin both already knew that Hatch would sign with the Wings..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  #5
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
I don't understand. From the article:

So Modano and Guerin AREN'T team players? Is that what you are saying? Or just Guerin is because he didn't and makes less? You lost me.
You lost me How????

When Guerin left Boston he clearly stated that he wanted to play for "sure" contender.(He made it sound like money didn't really matter for him ).

He got an offer that he didn't deserve and when Dallas was in financial trouble
(partially because of him) he couldn't even deffer part of his HUGE contract to sign a player who potentially could've helped Stars to win the Cup.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:01 PM
  #6
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
The reason why Dallas couldn't sign Hatcher is because of foolish spending the years before. The Stars sign free agents like Kovalchuk scores goals. Their GM doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Wasn't Modano pissed off because their GM didn't sign any free agents this off season?

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
  #7
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Turgeon makes 7.5 million . They lost Brett Hull so they panic and sign a has been.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
  #8
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You lost me How????

When Guerin left Boston he clearly stated that he wanted to play for "sure" contender.(He made it sound like money didn't really matter for him ).

He got an offer that he didn't deserve and when Dallas was in financial trouble
(partially because of him) he couldn't even deffer part of his HUGE contract to sign a player who potentially could've helped Stars to win the Cup.
He probably didn't think Hatcher was what made Dallas a contender. You are attacking Guerin for not deserving his contract, but he's still leading the team in scoring. More than you can say for Modano, their "Captain".

I don't think he made it seem like money didn't matter, otherwise why wouldn't he play for free?? He would rather make a run for the Cup (which he is doing). No pay cut required. Who's to say that all of his salary would have been enough to keep Hatcher from playing for Detroit (which he called a childhood dream)???

kyle is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:29 PM
  #9
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Bitter Bruin fan..

Even if they did, there would be no guarentee a deal could be reached. Modano and Guerin both already knew that Hatch would sign with the Wings..

Last time I checked Bruins had more points than Dallas so no worry about Billy.

Plus Bruins picked Patrice Bergeron with that compensatory pick who has been great for us.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
  #10
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You lost me How????

When Guerin left Boston he clearly stated that he wanted to play for "sure" contender.(He made it sound like money didn't really matter for him ).

He got an offer that he didn't deserve and when Dallas was in financial trouble
(partially because of him)
he couldn't even deffer part of his HUGE contract to sign a player who potentially could've helped Stars to win the Cup.
You can't blame Geurin because Hicks likes to throw money around. I mean if he gives A-Rod 25 mil per/yr and I am Geurin and he is asking me to take a pay cut...no thanks.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 02:55 PM
  #11
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Last time I checked Bruins had more points than Dallas so no worry about Billy.

Plus Bruins picked Patrice Bergeron with that compensatory pick who has been great for us.
Then that's great. But for you to say that he isn't a team player is completely ludricrous and unfounded. There is no basis to say that. Why should he have to pay Hatcher to stay in town? That's management's job. If they gave Guerin too much money, then they've got to live with that because no one forced them to. He may be overpaid, that's a debateable issue. But to say that he's not a team player is really grasping at straws.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 04:16 PM
  #12
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Hicks asked them to defer money, not take a pay cut. Those are different things. In the end, they probably could've gotten more money because deferrals usually come with interest tacked on.
In any case, I don't see it as a failure to be a team player. Guerin and Modano were offered those contracts, and Dallas management didn't foresee that Hatcher would get a big raise. They probably didn't foresee Hicks giving A-Rod $250 M either, so you can't really fault Guerin and Modano.
I'm just wondering why this comes up now all of a sudden...

ehc73 is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 05:11 PM
  #13
MoS*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northfield, Minnesot
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
it is obvious.

modano wanted the C and didn't defer money so when hatcher left, he could become the captain
guerin wanted hatcher gone and this season he is making modano play bad so he can get the C


i don't see what is so difficult to comprehend from this situation



Last edited by Sotnos: 02-26-2004 at 10:37 PM. Reason: vulgar comments removed
MoS* is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 05:19 PM
  #14
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,435
vCash: 500
Please, Bruins fans.

Have a little patience.

Not every organization is the well-run machine that Boston is. We should all strive to have Jacobs orchestrating the show.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 06:19 PM
  #15
19 for president
Registered User
 
19 for president's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Is Hicks trying to start something. Maybe screw up the little newly refound chemistry the Stars have found. If your are gonna let this come out of the closet you do it right after the players do it or when Hatch signs with the Wings. I really wouldn't be surprised if this comes back to bite Hicks in the butt.

19 for president is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 10:09 PM
  #16
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
You can't blame Geurin because Hicks likes to throw money around. I mean if he gives A-Rod 25 mil per/yr and I am Geurin and he is asking me to take a pay cut...no thanks.
Except A-Rod doesn't earn money by playing hockey, so this is completely irrelevant.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 10:31 PM
  #17
Snakeeye
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president
Is Hicks trying to start something. Maybe screw up the little newly refound chemistry the Stars have found. If your are gonna let this come out of the closet you do it right after the players do it or when Hatch signs with the Wings. I really wouldn't be surprised if this comes back to bite Hicks in the butt.
Here's hoping.

Kinda funny how so many are willing to overlook Modano, and lay the blame on Guerin.

Both or neither folks. Either both are greedy, or neither are.

Snakeeye is offline  
Old
02-26-2004, 10:50 PM
  #18
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Except A-Rod doesn't earn money by playing hockey, so this is completely irrelevant.
Not neccesarily. Hicks paying A-Rod $25 million would've affected spending for other investments, like the Stars. If he was paying A-Rod even $20 million, that's $5 million less that Tom Hicks has to spend, so he could've easily given more money to Hatch.

Gibsons Finest is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 01:34 AM
  #19
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Except A-Rod doesn't earn money by playing hockey, so this is completely irrelevant.
I disagree. I think the fact that Tom Hicks has poured so much money into the Texas Rangers really discourages a lot of Dallas Stars when a guy like Hatcher walks. Darryl Sydor said all this stuff about how Hicks only cares about baseball after he was traded to Columbus.

Frankly, I agree with the sentiment. "Hey guys, I can afford to pay the captain of my baseball team more money than any athlete, ever, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Derian Hatcher. Can you spot me a few million?" Screw that, Guerin and Modano don't have to do dick-all, and Hicks has only himself (well, and Doug Armstrong) to blame.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 02:52 AM
  #20
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Just another one of those useless Stars threads....

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 02:54 AM
  #21
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
Just another one of those useless Stars threads....
Indeed.. Ah well, bitter Bruin fans I guess..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 07:37 AM
  #22
hockeyhomer99
Registered User
 
hockeyhomer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, Great State
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
I don't understand. From the article:

So Modano and Guerin AREN'T team players? Is that what you are saying? Or just Guerin is because he didn't and makes less? You lost me.

COmpany XYZ agrees to pay you 75,000 a year. One year later:

Boss: Hey Bob, can we just pay you $50, 000 this year, we want to give ole John a raise.

Bob: Boss, are we in financial trouble?

Boss: No, I have plenty of money, I just don't want to raise what I am paying out..

Bob: Well boss, isnt' that kinda part of doing business??
Boss: Well yes, but still.
Bob: But I agreed to this salary for three years..
Boss: I know, but I just don,t want to go above a certain level, So can you help me..

How would you play this??


Good ole Derian was not going to resign here anyway.. Before his last season Dallas had a 5 year $30 mil. deal on the table.. Hatcher decided he would wait till after the season because he did not want it to be a distraction. He knew once the season started, the offer would begin to shrink and therefore give him his"out" for going home to Detroit..He signed for the very same 5yr 30M that Dallas had offered the year before.

hockeyhomer99 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 08:42 AM
  #23
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Indeed.. Ah well, bitter Bruin fans I guess..
We are not bitter.

Btw..I just noticed that after this trade the Stars hadn't beaten the Bruins even once and before B's couldn't beat the Stars. I guess Billy is helping us in some ways.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
  #24
hockeyhomer99
Registered User
 
hockeyhomer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, Great State
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
We are not bitter.

Btw..I just noticed that after this trade the Stars hadn't beaten the Bruins even once and before B's couldn't beat the Stars. I guess Billy is helping us in some ways.

Wonder what will be said after Thornton leaves for Detroit??

hockeyhomer99 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 11:47 AM
  #25
2112
Registered User
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I disagree. I think the fact that Tom Hicks has poured so much money into the Texas Rangers really discourages a lot of Dallas Stars when a guy like Hatcher walks. Darryl Sydor said all this stuff about how Hicks only cares about baseball after he was traded to Columbus.

Frankly, I agree with the sentiment. "Hey guys, I can afford to pay the captain of my baseball team more money than any athlete, ever, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Derian Hatcher. Can you spot me a few million?" Screw that, Guerin and Modano don't have to do dick-all, and Hicks has only himself (well, and Doug Armstrong) to blame.
AMAZING point.. took the words right out of my mouth! It shouldn't be up to the players to take a salary change to help pay for another player's contract when the owner is able to pay the biggest contract in sports history to another player. Think about it.. if your boss bought a huge mansion in Hawai and asked you to take a pay cut so he could pay another employee what he wanted, would you?

2112 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.