HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official starting line up for season opener

Old
10-08-2008, 11:54 PM
matt trick

vCash: 500
I expect Shelly will always play against the Ducks.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Definitely didn't expect to see Seto on the top line but I expect a few changes to be made when guys get healthy.
I thought he fit based on seeing him buzz around that game versus the Coyotes. If McLellan is emphasizing speed and skating on that line than Cheechoo might not work in McLellan's mind. I just hope he can stay consistent and stay on that top line.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I thought he fit based on seeing him buzz around that game versus the Coyotes. If McLellan is emphasizing speed and skating on that line than Cheechoo might not work in McLellan's mind. I just hope he can stay consistent and stay on that top line.
I think Clowe got the first shot at the spot and was beaten out by Seto. I have a feeling that Cheech is hanging by his fingernails to his second line slot. I agree that speed seems to be a big factor in the Todd's decisions.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Jamie McGinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I think coach would know better than you on what's good.

And if anybody was to be taken out of the lineup for Goc, it would hopefully be Plihal.
haha you can find a way to talk **** about Plihal in every post.

Jamie McGinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:14 AM
off_the_shneid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
hot damm that is not anything like what I expected it to be. Seto on top? JR center of 3rd? Shelly over Goc? This guy looks like he's out to make things different rather than out to make things good.
Don't forget who the Sharks are playing tomorrow. Shelley would probably play in favor of Goc/Plihal/Kaspar anyways despite Goc being injured.

Setoguchi is probably just temporary on the top line unless he can sustain some consistency. Look for Clowe to assume this role while Seto cools down as MC the Lellan goes for Detroit's form of sniper, play-maker, butt-in-front.

off_the_shneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:21 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I think Clowe got the first shot at the spot and was beaten out by Seto. I have a feeling that Cheech is hanging by his fingernails to his second line slot. I agree that speed seems to be a big factor in the Todd's decisions.
Agree and also think Clowe already is hurt a little from a fight which limited his opportunity. Seto had a good game and speed is top of the list for TM. Its early and people will be moved around a little but I expect to see Patty-Joe and MM-Pavs combos left alone for some time. The RW's will change early. Cheech ..... he better find a role as a scorer with whomever he plays with.

10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
TheGooooch

Quote:
I would think that McLellan wanted to see how well Clowe stands in front of the net. Trying to see if he has himself a Holmstrom or not. Seto can skate like crazy and has a great shot. I think you may be right on Cheech. With Pavs and Michalek on the second line, he has a couple shooters. With Cheech he would have another and maybe need Clowe to stand in front of the net and get the garbage as Cheech usually floats around the outside. Total guesses obviously

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:31 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

speed up and down the line-up is crucial, but we appear to be top-heavy when it comes to speed. Our fastest guys are on the top 2 lines, while our bottom lines are going to be slower than dirt. Aside from Grier there isn't anyone with decent wheels. Other teams are going to be putting their big boys against our bottom 6 and I don't see how they're going to shut them down with little foot speed.

Losing Mitchell and Goc has exposed a weakness, so they best hurry up and get better.

Old
10-09-2008, 12:36 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
speed up and down the line-up is crucial, but we appear to be top-heavy when it comes to speed. Our fastest guys are on the top 2 lines, while our bottom lines are going to be slower than dirt. Aside from Grier there isn't anyone with decent wheels. Other teams are going to be putting their big boys against our bottom 6 and I don't see how they're going to shut them down with little foot speed.

Losing Mitchell and Goc has exposed a weakness, so they best hurry up and get better.
Doug said in the article regarding Big Mac's reassignment that "Friesen's situation will be resolved shortly."

I may be reading to into that, but I would guess he will be signed, that along with the arrivals of Mitchell and Goc will add three of our fastest players into the line-up.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:43 AM
what

Good points in this thread, some of which I have not thought a lot about.

1) Speed, especially on defense. With Blake, Murray, and Lukowich on each pairing, I wonder if the forwards will have to be more vigilant in helping back check, break up counter attacks, etc.?

2) Pavelski is being put into a huge opportunity to succeed. At the same time, playing with Cheech and Michalek puts the burden on him to create chances on his line. No Marleau or Thornton to lean on (for now). If McLellan's system works, he will do well. I am watching him for my fantasy team.

3) PK will probably include Setoguchi. I don't know how McLellan thinks but I've always liked putting speedy offensive players on the PK. A good defense is a good offense, or something.

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I would think that McLellan wanted to see how well Clowe stands in front of the net. Trying to see if he has himself a Holmstrom or not. Seto can skate like crazy and has a great shot. I think you may be right on Cheech. With Pavs and Michalek on the second line, he has a couple shooters. With Cheech he would have another and maybe need Clowe to stand in front of the net and get the garbage as Cheech usually floats around the outside. Total guesses obviously
Part of the Detroit system is having an surpassed backcheck, that includes the "in front of the net" guys. Holmstrom used to get pulled in end game, in the lead situations for that reason. Clowe is better getting back than Holmstrom, but he really isn't quite there with Franzen. Patty can also do net front duty and is good with tips.

I agree with WS that being a little hurt may have held Clowe back and I do expect him to get top line time. It may not be as much as some anticipated. I also think that Clowe has always been working and continues to work on his speed and skating. He is one of my top guys for off-seasons.

I agree with USF on needing speed on the lower lines. The injuries were to lesser players, but the specific combo was a killer.

One interesting point not touched on was the resemblance of the Ehrhoff/Murray combo to Stuart/Kronwall. If the Todd gets them playing that game in combination with the forwards, it could be deadly for other teams. Effectively, it is having the d step up with hits because the forwards are coming back hard and fast. That kind of transition is a way to get a lot of quick goals.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Quote:
One interesting point not touched on was the resemblance of the Ehrhoff/Murray combo to Stuart/Kronwall. If the Todd gets them playing that game in combination with the forwards, it could be deadly for other teams. Effectively, it is having the d step up with hits because the forwards are coming back hard and fast. That kind of transition is a way to get a lot of quick goals.
Haha!!! Easy said it... the nickname is official!!!

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:14 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
Haha!!! Easy said it... the nickname is official!!!
Nickname five! *whip-crack sound effect*

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:16 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

And I don't wanna spam, but for anyone not wandering over to the GDT, here's the new lineup represented graphically in the brand new, never-before-seen 08-09 season GDT stats & post game graphics series I designed during the summer. Big thanks to Davidhye for letting me hijack the 2nd post of his GDT to put these up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye, posting for The Nemesis View Post

--------

----

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Thanks 210, that is good to know.

Can you give an idea of how good Pilhal is in comparison to Goc, Mitchell, Brown, and Riss?

Also how would you rate his speed?
He's about average...he isn't the fastest guy out there but he'll be far from the slowest.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote