HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zherdev Appreciation Thread

Old
10-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
CBJ season tix fan here.... (and a huge Zherdev fan)

Zherdev was initially disappointed with the trade because he was said to love Columbus. He had a bad rap in Columbus because of his repeated turn overs in the wrong places at the wrong time and for a team that struggled to win (Columbus) that's the kiss of death. Hell, the fans here booed the Buckeyes starting QB after he went 17-3, was benched for a freshman and came in for one play. You win in Columbus or you don't exist.

Zherdev fit in much better last year and I think Hitchcock did wonders for the kid. Hitch always claimed Z was better in his defensive zone than 95% of NHL forwards. I don't personally believe it but who am I? He WOULD back check. He WOULD block shots. But he also was a me first player. For a team concept it seems Zherdev doesn't hold it together for long stretches. He'll have a brutal game which seemed to hurt his psyche and would play poorly for several games afterward. He also seems to be the type of player that wants to do it all on his own. He was criticized by Federov (as was Nash) for being selfish and not understanding how to use his linemates.

In Columbus he was a love/hate kind of player. I hope he does well and think he has a chance to be a 100 pt player. But the down side is he's a 65 pt player and a weak link for a TEAM game. There are also strong rumors that he has a drinking problem and is a party boy (I can't confirm but this has been mentioned by multiple people on the Columbus boards - FeedDaPuck seems to be in the know on Russian players). One thing is for certain...He's a DIVA so I'm sure he'll love NY.

As for those hating on Columbus....live here before commenting. I grew up in Suffolk County and know "The City" quite well and Columbus has everything NYC does just not the volume. It's a great place but I could see how a 23 year old might enjoy NYC more (42nd street. ) if they enjoy the night life. Columbus doesn't quite have that atmosphere unless you live on campus at OSU.
First of all, Zherdev haven't exactly been a great hit in NY so far. His attitude have been 100x better then expected; and his play on the ice have been okey fo a 2nd line player.

Just so you don't misunderstands me.

I do however think he is a better fit in NY then in Columbus. First of all because the expectations/hopes in CBJ was always that Zherdev would become a real mega star who could carry the team. And that ment that he never really could be extremely successful on the ice. He just don't got it in him to reach what people hoped that he would be.

2nd of all, NY is a bit more established teams. Got clearer roles. Most players are in positions where they can fullfil the expectations on them. I think that pays a big part in making people comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think CBJ have done anything wrong with developing Zherdev. Its just a very tough situation to be a bad team and develop young players at the same time -- its easier for good teams to develop prospects. Thats why good teams stay good, and poor teams struggle.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Vitto79

I look at Zherdev like this

YES he will have some dumb turn overs as he crosses the middle and it will drive us nuts

BUT he will also get through alot of times and convert just like last night

He is a real good pick up ford what they gave up........basically straight up for Tyutin who I really liked but this D is 6 Strong and has good young players coming so I am cool with it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:01 PM
azrok22

Quote:
He is a real good pick up ford what they gave up........basically straight up for Tyutin
You vastly... vastly... vastly... underestimate the negative value of Christian Backman. How we got Zherdev and Fritsche while ridding ourselves of Backman will never cease to amaze me.

For all his faults, Sather definitely deserves props for his tendancy to bend trade partners over. Shame he can't trade more often!

EDIT: Kalinin may not be the picture of consistency, but he is a lot better than Backman. We didn't give up much for Backman, but carrying him would've made our D much weaker. That Sather was able to rid himself of that contract was an excellent move in and of itself.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:13 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No greater playoff beard has ever been grown.
I cant look at Mara and not cringe... he wears his "Pedo-Beard" with so much pride, and it's very scary.

Either way... Zherdev is here to stay, hes fitting in VERY nicely from what it seems like and is having a lot less of the problems he was suffering from in Columbus.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Cyborg Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
You vastly... vastly... vastly... underestimate the negative value of Christian Backman. How we got Zherdev and Fritsche while ridding ourselves of Backman will never cease to amaze me.

For all his faults, Sather definitely deserves props for his tendancy to bend trade partners over. Shame he can't trade more often!

EDIT: Kalinin may not be the picture of consistency, but he is a lot better than Backman. We didn't give up much for Backman, but carrying him would've made our D much weaker. That Sather was able to rid himself of that contract was an excellent move in and of itself.
We have defensive depth, should Backman become a real liability, we have 2 more defensemen dressed to take his place. Hitch is carrying 8 defensemen this season. So, all in all, it really was Tyutin straight up for Zherdev.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
azrok22

Quote:
We have defensive depth, should Backman become a real liability, we have 2 more defensemen dressed to take his place. Hitch is carrying 8 defensemen this season. So, all in all, it really was Tyutin straight up for Zherdev.
Sorry, I apologize... I meant he was more a liability to the Rangers who are so close to the cap that to keep him on the roster he would pretty much have to be playing in our top 6.

In fact, as our roster is currently comprised, we have 15 forwards and 6 defensemen... all of our defensemen must play regularly.

To the Rangers Backman's value was very negative, to CLB it isn't anywhere near as bad, you have the luxury of sticking him in the press box if he continues the "brain-farting" ways he displayed in NY.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:24 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
Unlike my fellow ranger fans, I though Backman wasnt as bad as everyone had made him. People didn't like him as soon as we got him. He has his faults but theres no denying the guy has some good offensive instincts. Hitch is they type of coach i think he can thrive under.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:30 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Unlike my fellow ranger fans, I though Backman wasnt as bad as everyone had made him. People didn't like him as soon as we got him. He has his faults but theres no denying the guy has some good offensive instincts. Hitch is they type of coach i think he can thrive under.
... Ya cause hitchcock is a real cool kinda guy who plays a real up tempo attack system which lets the D jump in on the rush...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Not sure about that. but he was definitely not given a fair shake by the fans.

One moment that always stands out to me was when he made a mistake in his own zone and then got booed the next time he touched the puck. Only for that next touch to be a sharpshot into the roof of the net.
That was kinda how it went for Backman...everybody expected him to make mistakes and it got to the point where he needed to be perfect in order to win the fans over.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Cyborg Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sorry, I apologize... I meant he was more a liability to the Rangers who are so close to the cap that to keep him on the roster he would pretty much have to be playing in our top 6.

In fact, as our roster is currently comprised, we have 15 forwards and 6 defensemen... all of our defensemen must play regularly.

To the Rangers Backman's value was very negative, to CLB it isn't anywhere near as bad, you have the luxury of sticking him in the press box if he continues the "brain-farting" ways he displayed in NY.
Nothing to apoloize about, we had cap room, he might provide enough of a transition game to garner him a place on the 3rd pair for most of the season. His contract expires this summer, so if he's really terrible, then the Jackets let him go. He's been pretyt bad for the Jackets, most of us was certain he'd be press box'd tonight in favor of OKT.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
dank

he got 2 more points tonight... so far..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post

he got 2 more points tonight... so far..
And was directly responsible for one against.......so far

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:54 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
HAHA I knew you would post that.

Old
10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Z looked good overall. Can't say he was DIRECTLY responsible for the goal, but his defense was definitely suspect on it.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
McMonster
THANKS BOB

so far im really impressed with Nik

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
levski87

Quote:
Wow.. Hi HATER! lol.. your posts get more and more ridiculous everytime. Eat crow baby, eat it.. Taste gooood mmmmmm DONT IT!

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
dank

Quote:
wah wah wah

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Wow.. Hi HATER! lol.. your posts get more and more ridiculous everytime. Eat crow baby, eat it.. Taste gooood mmmmmm DONT IT!
hahahaha.ouch.

Zherdev played very good tonight, and to say he was the reason for the goal is ludicrous IMO.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
hahahaha.ouch.

Zherdev played very good tonight, and to say he was the reason for the goal is ludicrous IMO.
I agree he is playing good, I like him and I think I underrated his offensive game for sure. He looks for real, atleast offensively. But how can you not think that goal wasn't his fault? Joe seemed to think so, most posters said so in the GDT. Who's fault was it? Valiquette? That is what I don't like about his game. Offensively he has been everything I hoped for and more.

Listen I'm not the one who gave him this reputation, I just know what I have heard/read and what I see on the ice. You guys say i'm a hater cause I pick on parts of his game, there are two sides to the coin. You guys blow everything he does out of proportion the other way, like he does nothing wrong, like the quoted post above.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
I agree he is playing good, I like him and I think I underrated his offensive game for sure. He looks for real, atleast offensively. But how can you not think that goal wasn't his fault? Joe seemed to think so, most posters said so in the GDT. Who's fault was it? Valiquette? That is what I don't like about his game. Offensively he has been everything I hoped for and more.

Listen I'm not the one who gave him this reputation, I just know what I have heard/read and what I see on the ice. You guys say i'm a hater cause I pick on parts of his game, there are two sides to the coin. You guys blow everything he does out of proportion the other way, like he does nothing wrong, like the quoted post above.
Honestly what was Zherdev suppose to do there? He was chasing Richards like he was supposed to, but was he suppose to magically get in front of him? Really what could Z have possibly done in that situation.

And how aobut ignoring his reputation for once, because its obvious that Z is playing a lot different than he did in Cloumbus. I feel like your only going by that reputation here... Because if you were watching near the last few minutes, Z made some great plays to get the puck out of the zone. And the kid is always deep in his own zone giving the defense support.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

honestly...richards found another gear.....i know zherdev is fast but richards took off and it wasnt a lack of effort on that play rather than the fact that richards is just faster in a straight line.....

this kid looks for real though....his vision and thought process is unbelievable

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
So no one knows why this guy wasn't on the last 3 WC teams for Russia?

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:58 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheh View Post
probably have a better shot in finding out at the blue jackets board. Pretty much all of us were unfamiliar with zherdev before we traded for him.

Old
10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheh View Post
A Blue Jackets fan already answered. Russian team officials said they had other players they wanted on the team, but there might also be some resentment towards Zherdev because he was another one of those "sneak out of Russia in the dead of the night" transfers.

Considering how many good Russian players there are, it wouldn't be surprising if the first reason is more accurate, though. They have a big talent pool to choose from and Zherdev hasn't proven to be a top talent yet

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
A Blue Jackets fan already answered. Russian team officials said they had other players they wanted on the team, but there might also be some resentment towards Zherdev because he was another one of those "sneak out of Russia in the dead of the night" transfers.

Considering how many good Russian players there are, it wouldn't be surprising if the first reason is more accurate, though. They have a big talent pool to choose from and Zherdev hasn't proven to be a top talent yet
Thanks, I hadn't noticed

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote