HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs Wingers/Defenseman/Goalie for Center!

Old
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Habs Wingers/Defenseman/Goalie for Center!

If you take a look at Montreal depth chart they are loaded with young wingers/defensemen/goaltenders players/prospects but there's a big upcoming hole at center that will need to be fill(replacing Lang & Koivu for next year or at least in the next few years).

Montreal current top ''young center'' aka under 27 years old center(UFA age)

Plekanec (he's a keeper and by far the best young center in montreal)

Chipchura (limited potential 3rd/4th line center, he's a keeper unless the habs gets something better)

Lapierre (he's a center more suited to play as winger nothing more than 4th line potential energy guy. He's the only right handed center in the team.

Maxwell (2nd line center potential but might not be ready next year and he could also never make it)

White, Fortier, Aubin, Russell, P.Johnson are all very long shot and clearly won't be ready to take a 1st/2nd line center duty.

So the habs clearly need a young center under 27 years old(bigger than 6' foot and right handed is an advantage but not a must)

Top 6 Wingers available include:
Higgins
Latendresse
Pacioretty
D'agostini
S.Kostitsyn
A.Kostitsyn --->*proven nhler only*

You can also include young defenseman players/prospects:
O'byrne
Gorges
Weber
Subban
McDonagh
Fischer
Valentenko
Emelin

Goaltender:
J.Halak

So which top line young center could the habs get ? (I was thinking the likes of Dubinsky, J.Carter, Mueller, Berglund, Oshier, Krejci(), Brassard, Matthias, others just name it and offer away)

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
voxel

vCash: 500
J.Carter for S.Kostitsyn, A.Kostitsyn, J.Halak

Top line centers are pretty rare and nobody wants to give up young ones unless you seriously overpay. For the above offer, I'm sure the Wild would listen to an offer for M.Koviu (subsitute Halak for another prospect).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Riffo*

Zach Hamill or Joe Colborne for McDonagh

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
I don't like it. McDonagh is great and Hamill/Colborne won't be ready to play in the NHL next year IMO.

What would we need to offer to get Krejci ?

Old
10-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post

Top line centers are pretty rare and nobody wants to give up young ones unless you seriously overpay. For the above offer, I'm sure the Wild would listen to an offer for M.Koviu (subsitute Halak for another prospect).
completely understand that young center are in high demand but when I look at philly, nyr, phx depth chart I see good depth at center and im pretty sure they could unload one of them to get better at other positions.

IMO M.Koivu won't be trade but if he was available he would be very interesting for the habs.

As for the mentioned offer I would have to pass unless the habs get something more from philly.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Lapierre (he's a center more suited to play as winger nothing more than 4th line potential energy guy. He's the only right handed center in the team.
Robert Lang is right handed and plays center.

I think Koivu will stick around for at least 1 more year so for next year and possibly the one after if Koivu decides to stick around for even longer, we'd have Plekanec-Koivu-Chipchura as our centers which is okay considering all the skills we have on the wings.

Ben Maxwell has showed incredible skills during pre-season and will get top-line minutes in Hamilton for the next 2 to 3 years so when Koivu leave he should be ready to step in a scoring role.

Considering management believe Chipchura can become a Brind'Amour type of guy and produce some points if well surrounded, I think our future centers look like it will be Plekanec-Maxwell-Chipchura, which is more than good enough for a cup contender. Top 2 centers are small, but that's the story of the past 20 years for the Montreal Canadiens.

And for the 4th line we have some good options in Lapierre, White, etc.

I think we're fine, and I'll bet my house Gainey won't trade A.Kostitsyn or McDonagh for a center.

When you have, on the wing:

A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Higgins
Pacioretty
Tanguay
Latendresse

all here for the long run, your top-9 is pretty much set for a while. And that's not including Kovalev, who said he wants to play until he's 50.

So we'll be fine thank you.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I don't like it. McDonagh is great and Hamill/Colborne won't be ready to play in the NHL next year IMO.
Hamill could be. He'll play in Providence this year and anything's possible next year.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Habs should take a look at Colton Gillies from MIN.

Otherwise they could wait until one of Staal or Malkin is traded.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM

The Habs will try to draft this big center, not trade for it.

The only way Gainey trades for a big center prospect is if it's a reclamation project and he comes cheap, like Gilbert Brule this year. The best exemple for this would be Olli Jokinen out of LA when he came to Florida on the cheap and exploded into a top-10 center NHL-wise.

Now if we could get our hands on this type of player, Gainey would stash him in Hamilton and try to developp him accordingly. But he would never in a million years trade A.Kostitsyn or McDonagh, not even for Jeff Carter IMO.

He had the option to draft Carter or Kostitsyn, and he took Kostitsyn, and now that he's about to breakout, that he's happy here with his brother, you want to make that trade?

Totally laughable.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Squeaky

Why would the Habs move a winger for a center right now? Sure, down the line they might have to replace Koivu or Lang, but right now they're set. You deal with the potential hole down the line when you get there.

If they trade a guy like Higgins or a Kostitsyn or Latendresse for a Center right now, they'll end up with too many centers and not enough wingers this season, when they're trying to be contenders. You'd actually be making the team worse.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Habs should take a look at Colton Gillies from MIN.

Otherwise they could wait until one of Staal or Malkin is traded.
Gillies will be a third-line center.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Robert Lang is right handed and plays center.

I think Koivu will stick around for at least 1 more year so for next year and possibly the one after if Koivu decides to stick around for even longer, we'd have Plekanec-Koivu-Chipchura as our centers which is okay considering all the skills we have on the wings.

Ben Maxwell has showed incredible skills during pre-season and will get top-line minutes in Hamilton for the next 2 to 3 years so when Koivu leave he should be ready to step in a scoring role.

Considering management believe Chipchura can become a Brind'Amour type of guy and produce some points if well surrounded, I think our future centers look like it will be Plekanec-Maxwell-Chipchura, which is more than good enough for a cup contender. Top 2 centers are small, but that's the story of the past 20 years for the Montreal Canadiens.

And for the 4th line we have some good options in Lapierre, White, etc.

I think we're fine, and I'll bet my house Gainey won't trade A.Kostitsyn or McDonagh for a center.

When you have, on the wing:

A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
Higgins
Pacioretty
Tanguay
Latendresse

all here for the long run, your top-9 is pretty much set for a while. And that's not including Kovalev, who said he wants to play until he's 50.

So we'll be fine thank you.
Ok I pointed out Lapierre as our only under 27 right handed center on the team.

As for all the point you mentioned great .. but Kovalev,Tanguay are very good and We will want to keep them longterm for sure no doubt but it doesnt change the fact that we have already 6 young NHL ready wingers but not real depth at center.

My point was to trade assets (wingers) to improve one of our weakness (center).
Without losing the goal to remain a contender longterm.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Why would the Habs move a winger for a center right now? Sure, down the line they might have to replace Koivu or Lang, but right now they're set. You deal with the potential hole down the line when you get there.

If they trade a guy like Higgins or a Kostitsyn or Latendresse for a Center right now, they'll end up with too many centers and not enough wingers this season, when they're trying to be contenders. You'd actually be making the team worse.
To be fair I had next year in mind and not this year.

I know our team is set for this year and I dont see gainey making tons of moves this year.

Also these are just proposals and only to see what center the habs could get from other teams.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
The Habs will try to draft this big center, not trade for it.
That takes a while... and not always the best option when you are building a contender now.

Montreal has a surplus of prospects so they might as well overpay in a quantity for quality trade.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
That takes a while... and not always the best option when you are building a contender now.

Montreal has a surplus of prospects so they might as well overpay in a quantity for quality trade.
Also to mention that there are not that many good looking top center for next year draft (that I could at least see make the NHL in the next 2 years)

Old
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Unless Koivu gets sick of the media, I'd imagine he'll be with the Habs for the next 5 years or so. I'd be with the group that says the Habs can only really address this _perceived_ need via the draft or free agency. Trading for a really big name core player rarely happens and doesn't make sense for the Habs even if they could find such a player available.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
LOL yeah, right. Then we'd have Jeff Carter playing with Steve Bégin and Tom Kostopoulos, it kind of defeats the purpose.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
LOL yeah, right. Then we'd have Jeff Carter playing with Steve Bégin and Tom Kostopoulos, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Wingers are much easier to get in the FA market than top-line centers.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
I'm not even going to attempt to argue why your proposal is beyond ridiculous. Anyone with any knowledge of hockey should realize just how absurd it is.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
What team does Jeff Carter play on the top line for again?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
The Phantoms...

Hey, he fits the the OP's mold and could be a first liner very soon. He's not Mike Richards tho'. Heck, Umberger is a first line center on the Blue Jackets.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
27roenick97

Quote:

flyers want none of that. we have huge depth of wingers, especially with danny briere on wing now. what happens with jeff carter being moved is us loosing any depth--and size--from the pivot. briere and mike richards are small forwards, although richie doesn't play small.

while i doubt the flyers move carter at all, a trade involving the habs would have to be focused on komisarek and carter, adding pieces as fit.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Since we're talking deals that won't happen anyway how about:

Pacioretty and McDonagh for Hanzal and Nick Ross

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
OWNED

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Big-time NO.... not even close to fair value there.... sorry.

Jeff Carter for Andrei is close considering the contracts of both players... and you add Sergei and Halak.... Thats a huge overpayment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
Slightly smaller No, but still No. I like Colborne, but he's not as good a prospect as McD right now.

I know we have a lot of defencemen... but most of our prospect Ds are RD... McD is one fo the few LDs... with Emelin (will he ever leave Russia) and Valentenko. McD has the best offensive game of these three guys. So its solving one hole by creating another.... and I think Colborne is a bigger question mark than McD right now.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote