HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Anton Stralman

Old
10-11-2008, 11:35 PM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Good comparasion

One is a d-man the other is a forward
The point was that anyone can find a few video clips that make a player look much better than they typically play.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
save this quote... i've said it before.

Stralman will be better than Kaberle at both ends of the rink within 3 seasons.

...I said it before he played his 1st NHL game, and I still believe it. I'm dissapointed that he isnt in the lineup, but, if the Leafs want to trade a d-man, you need to play the ones you want to shop.

And, you can save this quote:

Stralman is never going to be half the player that Kaberle is, at either end of the ice.

And, btw, I think highly enough of Kaberle that saying Stralman won't be half the player, is not the same as saying he won't be a good top four dman.

But, yeah, you can count on me bringing this quote back up.

The problem I see here is one of extremes. I'll agree with some of you that Stralman has nice promise and could be very good. But, all this stuff about him being the next Kaberle, a can't miss star, in a whole different league than players like Campoli, etc is unmitigated homerism. Its not even in the bounds of reality.

And, frankly, I've come to expect a bit more objectivity from you in particular.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 10-12-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

Stralman is never going to be half the player that Kaberle is, at either end of the ice.

And, btw, I think highly enough of Kaberle that saying Stralman won't be half the player, is not the same as saying he won't be a good top four dman.

The problem I see here is one of extremes. I'll agree with some of you that Stralman has nice promise and could be very good. But, all this stuff about him being the next Kaberle, a can't miss star, in a whole different league than players like Campoli, etc is unmitigated homerism. Its not even in the bounds of reality.

And, frankly, I've come to expect a bit more objectivity from you in particular.
Then I'm not sure what you're doing - overrating Kaberle, underrating Stralman or both. As for him being the next anything, he has drawn comparisons to Lidstrom back in Sweden. Note: I'm not suggesting he's the next Lidstrom or that I agree with said comparisons, but to take a player who's thought of so highly and make absurd statements like he'll never be half of Tomas Kaberle or that he's like Chris Campoli...good God. Half of Tomas Kaberle is an unremarkable defenseman...hey, that'd be Chris Campoli. I guess your logic kind of makes sense from that perspective.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Then I'm not sure what you're doing - overrating Kaberle, underrating Stralman or both. As for him being the next anything, he has drawn comparisons to Lidstrom back in Sweden. Note: I'm not suggesting he's the next Lidstrom or that I agree with said comparisons, but to take a player who's thought of so highly and make absurd statements like he'll never be half of Tomas Kaberle or that he's like Chris Campoli...good God. Half of Tomas Kaberle is an unremarkable defenseman...hey, that'd be Chris Campoli. I guess your logic kind of makes sense from that perspective.
Stralman isn't "thought of that highly" anyplace but Toronto.

And, I'm sorry, but anybody who compares Stralman to Lidstrom is just a flat out idiot. Stralman isn't even that same universe.

This post is a good example of why Leaf fans get the rep of being such homers on this board.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Except Brandinho isn't a Leafs fan; Darth just stop for goodness sakes.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
TopProspect91

Darth's making a whole lot of sense right now and is being realistic. Wayyyy too many Leaf homers out there that think or at least try to imply that Stralman is the "next big thing". They need to come back to earth and realize that based on the way he's played thus far in the NHL, he has a LONG way to go before making any kind of a major impact on the NHL.

And for those that are comparing him to Kaberle and Lidstrom and such, be real guys. We haven't seen ANYTHING from him in the NHL for us to really think that he has that kind of potential. Enough with the unrealistic comparisons already.

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Brandinho

Quote:

And, I'm sorry, but anybody who compares Stralman to Lidstrom is just a flat out idiot. Stralman isn't even that same universe.

This post is a good example of why Leaf fans get the rep of being such homers on this board.
You are flat out wrong. He is thought of exceptionally highly in Sweden. Also, I'm not a Leafs fan. Please think carefully before your next post.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Brandinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspect91 View Post
Darth's making a whole lot of sense right now and is being realistic. Wayyyy too many Leaf homers out there that think or at least try to imply that Stralman is the "next big thing". They need to come back to earth and realize that based on the way he's played thus far in the NHL, he has a LONG way to go before making any kind of a major impact on the NHL.

And for those that are comparing him to Kaberle and Lidstrom and such, be real guys. We haven't seen ANYTHING from him in the NHL for us to really think that he has that kind of potential. Enough with the unrealistic comparisons already.
We have, however, seen him play exceptionally well in both the SEL and AHL. I suppose that doesn't count anymore? He's 22. Of course he has a long way to go to "make his mark" on the NHL, but Darth's comments are just as absurd as these supposedly biased Leafs fans you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with saying Stralman has enormous potential and to write off that potential, as Darth is doing, is very ignorant.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
mydnyte

Quote:

I'm not very easily impressed, and I already see Stralman show better positioning in his own end than Kaberle, though he needs to strengthen up more before it will be noticiable to most people, and on the offense end, watch him shoot the puck... everything he shoots gets through, and that is a skill/talent youcannot teach.
I believe he's one of the fastest and best skaters on the club and can carry the puck as well as Kaberle, but, he just lacks the experience. Hence, the within 3 seasons.

That is the reason I said to save my quote... I will either be proven correct, or a fool, and you shouldnt bet on the latter, trust me.

He'll be a player along the likes of a Leetch, or a Zubov ...not a Lidstrom. ...as far as the Leafs are concerned, if he strengthens up, he'll be their next Salming.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Bills09

people need to learn there is no winning an argument about Tlusty or Stralman with Leasty

But in both sides defense give it some time and let it play out.

And another thing im sick of people hating on leaf fans for getting excited about their prospects, we have very little "blue-chippers" i'd say 5 decent players in our pool give us a break if we're a little excited. Sorry we've been poorly run for the last 10 years, not the fans fault were passionate.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
pwallll

Trading Stralman would be a big mistake.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
We have, however, seen him play exceptionally well in both the SEL and AHL. I suppose that doesn't count anymore? He's 22. Of course he has a long way to go to "make his mark" on the NHL, but Darth's comments are just as absurd as these supposedly biased Leafs fans you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with saying Stralman has enormous potential and to write off that potential, as Darth is doing, is very ignorant.

I never said Stralman doesn't have "potential." What I said is that he doesn't have "ENORMOUS POTENTIAL" and it is not likely he is a future Kaberle or Lidstrom.

And, you may not be a Leaf homer but it is pretty evident that your lofty view of this player is based on his nationality - not actually watching him.

And, a final point is that I instantly lose all respect for any poster who is arrogant enough to declare that anybody who doesn't buy their take is "ignorant." Get over yourself and stop being such an aggressive twit.

Old
10-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
people need to learn there is no winning an argument about Tlusty or Stralman with Leasty

But in both sides defense give it some time and let it play out.

And another thing im sick of people hating on leaf fans for getting excited about their prospects, we have very little "blue-chippers" i'd say 5 decent players in our pool give us a break if we're a little excited. Sorry we've been poorly run for the last 10 years, not the fans fault were passionate.
Nobody is saying don't be excited about Stralman, Schenn, Tlusty, et al. This is a solid group of young players, and Leaf fans should be very psyched about these guys. In fact, for months, I've been saying the Leafs had far more in their organization than anybody gives them credit for.

What I am saying is comparisons of this player to elite superstars like Kaberle and Lidstrom are silly (at best).

In this thread alone, we've seen Stralman compared to Borje Freaking Salming, Lidstrom, Kaberle, and Zubov. We're talking all-star Norris contending dmen who are among the best at their positions in the NHL history. What has Stralman done to begin to suggest he is in that league?

Old
10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I'm not very easily impressed, and I already see Stralman show better positioning in his own end than Kaberle, though he needs to strengthen up more before it will be noticiable to most people, and on the offense end, watch him shoot the puck... everything he shoots gets through, and that is a skill/talent youcannot teach.
I believe he's one of the fastest and best skaters on the club and can carry the puck as well as Kaberle, but, he just lacks the experience. Hence, the within 3 seasons.

That is the reason I said to save my quote... I will either be proven correct, or a fool, and you shouldnt bet on the latter, trust me.

He'll be a player along the likes of a Leetch, or a Zubov ...not a Lidstrom. ...as far as the Leafs are concerned, if he strengthens up, he'll be their next Salming.
Salming was one of the best overall dman I ever saw play the game. Leetch and Zubov are two of the best of their generation.

Sorry, but I still think you are going way beyond the bounds of reality here.

Old
10-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
Quote:

Sweden would disagree with you... at the WC he was played in favor of Alex Edler.... And had 7pts in 8 games...

Many Swedish posters (Swedish, not Leaf Fans) have said will become the best of the young swedish D-men. Although you may think Leaf fans are overating him, your first statement is very wrong and leads one to believe that you don't really know enough about him to make the kind of assessments you are making. The Lidstrom comparison was never comparing skill. The quote was from his Swedish coach who said that he can dominate and control games in the way Lidstrom could.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:03 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

I do know where you are coming from Darth. Stralman hasn't proved squat in the NHL yet. But our coaching staff (Maurice's coaching staff to be exact), didn't handle any one of our younger players properly and thus I do not believe Anton or Jiri showed anything that can depict their potential or abilities. When we were "in the race," he was handed ~ 5 minutes per game. When we were "out of the playoffs" then he was handed ~15 minutes per game and played really solid and showed brilliant potential. Basically alot of us fans are judging Stralman's potential from his plays in his NHL career's games. He has wowed us many times. And he showed immaturity at the NHL level as a rookie as well. There's are multiple fans in this thread that do believe he has that type of potential. None of us are wrong right now. But we will see what happens in the future.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Sweden would disagree with you... at the WC he was played in favor of Alex Edler.... And had 7pts in 8 games...

Many Swedish posters (Swedish, not Leaf Fans) have said will become the best of the young swedish D-men. Although you may think Leaf fans are overating him, your first statement is very wrong and leads one to believe that you don't really know enough about him to make the kind of assessments you are making. The Lidstrom comparison was never comparing skill. The quote was from his Swedish coach who said that he can dominate and control games in the way Lidstrom could.
So Swedish fans, his own coach, and a handful of Leaf fans all think he is a star.

And, this is supposed to impress me?

Old
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I do know where you are coming from Darth. Stralman hasn't proved squat in the NHL yet. .
Ding ding.

Quote:
I
But our coaching staff (Maurice's coaching staff to be exact), didn't handle any one of our younger players properly and thus I do not believe Anton or Jiri showed anything that can depict their potential or abilities. .
No arguements here. Nobody is saying a player's career is set in stone after a rookie season. We still have no idea what either kid can do.

Quote:
I
game and played really solid and showed brilliant potential. Basically alot of us fans are judging Stralman's potential from his plays in his NHL career's games. He has wowed us many times. And he showed immaturity at the NHL level as a rookie as well. There's are multiple fans in this thread that do believe he has that type of potential. None of us are wrong right now. But we will see what happens in the future.
Fair enough.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

Quote:
So Swedish fans, his own coach, and a handful of Leaf fans all think he is a star.

And, this is supposed to impress me?
I don't really care how impressed you are. I'm simply correcting you in the statement you made which implied that only Toronto fans thought of Stralman highly.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'll take the coach of the WC Swedish teams opinion of a player above yours anyday.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

With all due respect, Edler had played a ton that year and was physically worn out. His play bounced back to a point where he's leading Van defenceman with 24:18 TOI/G this season and put up an assist and a +4 in 2 games. Stralman has been a healthy scratch on Toronto.

As far as the Swedish posters on HF, the constantly underrate any Swede playing on Vancouver, and their 2010 thread is an example of this. Keep in mind Edler developed mostly in North America, so most of them have a much more limited viewing of him. There's also the whole timezone issue for west coast games in Europe.

So all in all using the Stralman/Edler comparison to prop up Stralman is flawed at best.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't really care how impressed you are. I'm simply correcting you in the statement you made which implied that only Toronto fans thought of Stralman highly.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'll take the coach of the WC Swedish teams opinion of a player above yours anyday.
Actually, I do think you are being quite a bit of a jerk here. Generally, I agree with you that some sources should be weighed more heavily than others. The problem with your post is that I never suggested to you that you should take my opinion above the coach of the Swedish WC team.

My only point was that the fact that Leaf fans, his own coach, and Swedish fans (who, at least on this board, tend to be big boosters of any player from the home country) think highly of Stralman is not enough to sway me more than my own eyeballs. I don't personally give a rat's A. what the coach of the Swedish team says - because I am capable of watching a player on my own.

Of course, I understand that you personally might think highly of this particulary player. Now, I'm not trying to be a jerk here either. But, forgive me if don't surrender my own opinion to your own view, all knowing as it might be. Your entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. And, I think you'll find that, with the exception of ridiculous comparisons to guys like Salming, Kaberle, etc, I'll usually show a bit more respect than you do for others views.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

He's young with lots of potential, Toronto is not going to trade him.

He could be a good defenseman.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

Quote:
Actually, I do think you are being quite a bit of a jerk here. Generally, I agree with you that some sources should be weighed more heavily than others. The problem with your post is that I never suggested to you that you should take my opinion above the coach of the Swedish WC team.

My only point was that the fact that Leaf fans, his own coach, and Swedish fans (who, at least on this board, tend to be big boosters of any player from the home country) think highly of Stralman is not enough to sway me more than my own eyeballs. I don't personally give a rat's A. what the coach of the Swedish team says - because I am capable of watching a player on my own.

Of course, I understand that you personally might think highly of this particulary player. Now, I'm not trying to be a jerk here either. But, forgive me if don't surrender my own opinion to your own view, all knowing as it might be. Your entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. And, I think you'll find that, with the exception of ridiculous comparisons to guys like Salming, Kaberle, etc, I'll usually show a bit more respect than you do for others views.
You can think I'm a jerk if you please, but your replies to me have been rather snippy and rude, so I'm not going to go out of my way to sugar coat my responses to you. Most of your responses look to be trying to bait me into an argument.

You are trying to make me out to be some kind of rabid fan that is yelling at you for disagreeing with me. I haven't done anything but post my observations, and you discredit them because they don't "impress" you.

You said he wasn't thought of highly other than in Toronto, I corrected you, you proceeded to rip me because you value your opinion over theirs (which is fine by me, I've read your posts, and you know what you are talking about most of the time), but thats irrelevant because it was never my intention to convince you. The fact is, a swedish coach played him a lot on a strong national team. Swedish posters (they favor swedish players) rank him above other Swedish young D-men. I'm not here defending that Stralman is the next generational defenseman, or a "can't miss prospect". I'm just saying he is highly regarded by many people, regardless of your own assessment of him.

Old
10-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You can think I'm a jerk if you please, but your replies to me have been rather snippy and rude, so I'm not going to go out of my way to sugar coat my responses to you. Most of your responses look to be trying to bait me into an argument..

I actually think we were both being pretty silly.

You were obviously just trying to correct a factual error in my earlier post, which is perfectly appropriate.

Apparently, you saw my response as sarcastic (which was not intended, but I can see how it read that way).
And came back with this:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'll take the coach of the WC Swedish teams opinion of a player above yours anyday

That annoyed the heck out of me because I never so much as vaguely hinted that I was the "expert" and you should believe me over
Stralman's former coach.

Of course, I then responded to that by rather childlishly accusing you of doing the same - which was equally unfair.

So, for my role in all of that, I apologize.

And, for the record, I most certainly do not see you as a "rabid fan." In fact, I think you are one of the most reasonable and balanced posters out there and always respect what you have to say.

Anyway, I am sorry this all got snitty and hope you will be nice enough to forgive me. I admit that I was being an asshat. Won't happen again.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 10-13-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old
10-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Brandinho

Quote:
I never said Stralman doesn't have "potential." What I said is that he doesn't have "ENORMOUS POTENTIAL" and it is not likely he is a future Kaberle or Lidstrom.

And, you may not be a Leaf homer but it is pretty evident that your lofty view of this player is based on his nationality - not actually watching him.

And, a final point is that I instantly lose all respect for any poster who is arrogant enough to declare that anybody who doesn't buy their take is "ignorant." Get over yourself and stop being such an aggressive twit.
Maybe if you quit making ******** assumptions, I'd be a little less aggressive. I'm not calling you ignorant because you don't buy my take, I'm calling you ignorant because you're the dictionary definition to a t...you don't have any idea what you're talking about. Forget Lidstrom, Stralman can easily be a defenseman who QB's the PP and plays on a first pairing. How is that not enormous potential?

And for the record, I'm not Swedish either, so we can through that nonsense argument out too.