Notices

Gameday: Wild @ Predators - 2004-02-26

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 01:06 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Gameday: Wild @ Predators - 2004-02-26

This is the last meeting this season between these two teams. We haven't won yet, the Preds have won one, and we've tied the others. A golden opportunity to start to play spoiler presents itself here, and we could even up the season series, to boot.
Dowd is still out, Burns is in Houston (apparently he had a viral infection recently), Roli's on personal leave, and Moose is suspended. Probably a good time to have him in the line-up. Do we see Brown tonight? I think this would be a good game to dress all the defensemen.

I sense an ugly one a comin' --- 2-1 Preds.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
This is the last meeting this season between these two teams. We haven't won yet, the Preds have won one, and we've tied the others. A golden opportunity to start to play spoiler presents itself here, and we could even up the season series, to boot.
Dowd is still out, Burns is in Houston (apparently he had a viral infection recently), Roli's on personal leave, and Moose is suspended. Probably a good time to have him in the line-up. Do we see Brown tonight? I think this would be a good game to dress all the defensemen.

I sense an ugly one a comin' --- 2-1 Preds.
I agree. I bet it's going to get chippy out there real fast. But the customary 2-2 tie works for me. Daigle and Zholtok will score.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:15 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

I'm excited for this game, we've had a few days off now. They should be plenty rested.

I'll say 3-1 Preds with an empty netter.

Gabby scores for the Wild.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Kristofer

3-2 Preds.
Wild goals by Bouchard and Wiemer.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

since my previous predictions for Wild\Preds games have given me nothing but last-second blown leads and frustrating ties...

Wild- 5347
Preds- 11

Steve Sullivan puts on a one-man show, scoring 11 goals. When I say "one-man" i mean it, too. No one else dresses. Sullivan amazes the Wild with his moves, but can't seem to get back to cover up the net quickly enough.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:38 PM
ceber

Crap, I forgot about Sullivan. My prediction is now 3-1.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Wild Bill

Jeckyl, Hyde, who shows up? Neither...

Wild 2 Pred 2 (Park, Gaborik)

Wild blow a 3 goal lead somehow

Old
02-26-2004, 04:20 PM
DW

I'm sticking to the trusty 2-2 tie. I think Gaborik gets one tonight and pick a D-man for the other.

Time for Manny to shine for a few days. He really needs it. Did I say he, I mean we, as in Wild management. It would be really good for him.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:27 PM
LuckyLUC20

4-2 Wild ... Go Wild!

Old
02-26-2004, 10:38 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I sense an ugly one a comin'
Now I just need to start sensing some lottery numbers. Man, that turned into a stinker. Seems as the game went on we started to lose players. Even a great team will lose if you don't have everyone playing hard and together, and we are not a great team. We had some guys playing hard, other guys playing together. Never seemed like we had everyone on the ice playing hard and working together. Nashville played a tough game, but I think anyone could've beaten us in that one. Not as soundly as the Preds did, but anyone with a good enough goalie would've gotten that win. A couple of early goals and I think the guys would've stayed in it, and it wouldn't have seemed so lopsided.

Now, nice things to say... hmm... ok, here's a couple. M. Chouinard jumping in when Tootoo ran Henry. That's good stuff, and nice to see. Can't roll over completely and let the other team start trying to injure your guys. Chouinard stepped up there and held his own against a little dynamo of a fighter.
I thought Bouchard started to look a little more like the earlier Bouchard. He didn't really have anyone to work with, but if everyone had been into the game I think he would've gotten a point or two. Gaborik also looked good again, especially on that nice bit of defense in front of Manny.
And one nice thing about the Preds.. they've got a great forecheck. Or at least we made it look great, I don't see much of 'em.

I worry about tomorrow's game. I think the Stars could easily make it uglier.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Kristofer

First and second period were so boring to watch, the Wild just didn't have anything. There was about 5 seconds at the end of the second period where it looked like they were actually trying, but that was probably cause the puck finally got in to the preds crease. For a bunch of players who seem to think they still have some kind of chance at the playoffs they sure don't seem to be trying to hard to get there.
I agree with Ceber, highlights from the game were Bouchard flying around, too bad he didn't get a real chance to do anything until it was 4-0.
Then Chouinard standing up for Henry and fighting Tootoo. Next time he should try taking off both gloves.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:56 PM
DW

I'm going to have to agree on tomorrow's game. It could be an ugly one. Big ol' no show tonight. I can't believe this team thinks it's in contention for a playoff spot. Last week was the only time this season that this team put two good games together in a row.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Is Henry OK guys? I thought for sure Toots was going to get 5 and a game for boarding but the replay seemed to show that Henry turned at the last second. The charging call was deserved, but I think the refs agreed that it wasn't too intentional. And does Chouinard usually do that?

Old
02-27-2004, 12:01 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Chouinard is usually pretty passive. LOL That's great!

Put a knife in this team, it's cooked.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:53 AM
ceber

M. Chouinard didn't seem very physical at all before his big injury. He may be trying to make a strong case to stick around next season. He's really looked pretty decent the last few games, IMO.

Pretty sure Henry is ok. He was back shortly after that hit. He seems to be able to take hits like that every so often. Hopefully he doesn't turn it into a habit, because sooner or later one of them is going to catch him wrong and do some serious damage. (Like that one in the Oilers game.. I think it was the Oilers.. man, he went into the boards in a real nasty way in that one.)

Old
02-27-2004, 08:54 AM
DWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala

Put a knife in this team, it's cooked.
I'm finally ready to admit that you are right, the team's playoff hopes are toast. Time to start moving some veterans trying to secure some high draft picks and/or a few of the opponet's top prospects.

I'm sorry to say this but if the Wild are to stay true to their model for building from within, they will likely have to get worse before they get better.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Surly Furious

I agree that a winning record, let alone the playoffs, are probably not going to happen -

I think the Wild really aren't that far from where they were last year - if only half of their ties were wins (blown leads anyone?), they'd be right in th thick of things.

I agree it's time to reevaluate the direction the organization is headed, and work more potential into the line up. Let's play some guys that might get better, instead of guys who have peaked. Guys like Park, Dowd, and Laaksonen are fine, but they'll never provide the kind of offense this team needs.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
DW

Quote:
Guys like Park, Dowd, and Laaksonen are fine, but they'll never provide the kind of offense this team needs.
Dead on right. I happen to like Laaksonen but he'll never improve and he'll just cost more every year. If someone bites (trade) on him. It's a deal that should be done.

I see both Veilleux and Burns were recalled today. Just a coincidence or did the Wild mgmt finally wake from there dream of a playoff push?

Old
02-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
Dead on right. I happen to like Laaksonen but he'll never improve and he'll just cost more every year. If someone bites (trade) on him. It's a deal that should be done.

I see both Veilleux and Burns were recalled today. Just a coincidence or did the Wild mgmt finally wake from there dream of a playoff push?
Well all in all it's the second encouraging sign this week after trading away Darby - out with the vets, in with the youth.

Closed Thread