HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recap of Game 1 vs. Detroit (Player analysis)

Old
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Recap of Game 1 vs. Detroit (Player analysis)

So instead of going through a gazillion pages in the GDT I thought I would open up a seperate thread. Didn't get a chance to catch the entire game but I wanted to know how some of the kids played.

Nikolai Kulemin (1 goal)
Luke Schenn
Jiri Tlusty
Mikhail Grabovski
John Mitchell

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Metallian*

i didnt see it either. tsn said "schenn didnt look out of place" on the top line with kaberle

i know, by the radio, tlusty seemed to be creating offence and the line with him and grabo and Hag-man was apparently doing very well

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post
So instead of going through a gazillion pages in the GDT I thought I would open up a seperate thread. Didn't get a chance to catch the entire game but I wanted to know how some of the kids played.

Nikolai Kulemin (1 goal)
Luke Schenn
Jiri Tlusty
Mikhail Grabovski
John Mitchell
The kids played very well this game.

Luke Schenn - Again he's making it even tougher for coaching and management to send him down.

Nikolai Kulemin - Looked much different then preseason. He was doing everything we've heard so much about.

Mikhail Grabovski - All over the place tonight. Back checking, Making plays up front, going into the corners, etc. Looked exactly the way he did in preseason.

Jiri Tlusty - Seems to have stepped it up a notch in the toughness department. Seems to be "playing bigger" with Grabs and Hagman. Made three odd decisions (passing when he should have been shooting) in the offensive zone but it doesn't worry me at all. He's really starting to step it up.

John Mitchell - Played decent. Didn't really make any mistakes.

Alex Steen - started picking things up as the game wore on. Honestly RW needs to separate him from Stajan and play him either at center or on the wing with one of the top six lines.

Matt Stajan - Looked confused out there. Got an untimely penalty. Only played 9 minutes. Had a few turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive zone. Needs to pick it up in the toughness department to stick with this team.

Carlo Colaiacovo - Also looked confused in the defensive zone. Could be a result of playing with a new D partner (Kubina). Definitely not worried about him. We all know he's a hell of a D.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Randall Graves*

Keep Schenn for the 9 games, send him down, he's got to get stronger but he really is not far away from being a regular NHL player.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post

Nikolai Kulemin (1 goal)
Luke Schenn
Jiri Tlusty
Mikhail Grabovski
John Mitchell
Ill break it down for you

Nikolai Kulemin:Besides his beauty of a goal he played very sound defensively and created many turnovers.Didn't look out of place besides maybe the 1st period.

Schenn: played good defensively as always.Had numerous body checks.Made a good deke in the 2nd to escape a couple Red Wings player.

Jiri Tlusty:Was strong on the boards and played a good offensive game.Badcheck pretty hard and made some intelligent decisions.

Grabovski:Set up alot of chances for his teammates and himself but just couldn't find the net unfortunately.He was even there in the last 3-4 min and was playing good defensively.

Mitchell:He played a sound game.Didn't do much offensively but he didn't make any mistakes.

Ill add Moore

He was the best forward tonight offensively and defensively IMO

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Ill break it down for you

Nikolai Kulemin:Besides his beauty of a goal he played very sound defensively and created many turnovers.Didn't look out of place besides maybe the 1st period.

Schenn: played good defensively as always.Had numerous body checks.Made a good deke in the 2nd to escape a couple Red Wings player.

Jiri Tlusty:Was strong on the boards and played a good offensive game.Badcheck pretty hard and made some intelligent decisions.

Grabovski:Set up alot of chances for his teammates and himself but just couldn't find the net unfortunately.He was even there in the last 3-4 min and was playing good defensively.

Mitchell:He played a sound game.Didn't do much offensively but he didn't make any mistakes.

Ill add Moore

He was the best forward tonight offensively and defensively IMO
Hmmm. You forgot Hagman. You can't forget Hagman.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

I posted a player analysis in the game day thread, which may not have been the best choice. But to add to it:

Grabovski - also really impressed by his backchecking. His speed and style allow him to be all over the place, yet very rarely out of position. Once again though, has to work on not holding onto the puck for so long.

Stajan- sigh......

I'm really starting to develop a mancrush on Dominic Moore.

And as a final statement, being quite a fast team rocks!

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:48 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Hmmm. You forgot Hagman. You can't forget Hagman.
He didn't mention Hagman

Old
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
He didn't mention Hagman
Then I don't know what game he was watching.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:50 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
He just wanted to know hot the kids played.

The last time,I checked Hagman wasn't a kid

Old
10-09-2008, 09:53 PM
HankTheTank

you guys look way different than last year

hagman, kulemin, moore are all way harder to play against along the boards and play 2 ways.

grabovsky was able to get free a lot in the slot

(wings were sloppy)

schenn could prob stick for the whole year but i'd ship him down

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Howly17

Yea Hagman was amazing, I love his speed along with Moore's.. it's been a long time since I've seen some of our guys swing right around an entire defense with their quick feet while the wings chased and watched, lots of generated chances came right from the speed and hustle we're promoting..

hope to see good defense and quick counterattacking kept up it made a lot of our guys look smart and fast tonight!

haha check out the avatar took it right from NHL.com website

Howly17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
He just wanted to know hot the kids played.

The last time,I checked Hagman wasn't a kid
Apparently, I can't read.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howly17 View Post
Yea Hagman was amazing, I love his speed along with Moore's.. it's been a long time since I've seen some of our guys swing right around an entire defense with their quick feet while the wings chased and watched, lots of generated chances came right from the speed and hustle we're promoting..

hope to see good defense and quick counterattacking kept up it made a lot of our guys look smart and fast tonight!

Beautiful

Old
hullsy47

Quote:
<<<<<<<was at the game.frogren played very well .but these leafs have a system ,a purpose .1 thing i noticed right off .the players seem to know where to go .
line changes are 100% better under wilson .u get it in ,do your job anf get the **** off .nice change

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Big Swede

Quote:
Apparently, I can't read.
Its all good,I won't get mad at you after all the Leafs won

Old
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Here's my analysis from the game thread:

Moore was awesome. This guy leaves it all on the ice. Same with Hagman, he had a great game and showed really strong offensive prowess.

Tlusty was OK he really didnt' stand out to me as far as I can remember. I know he botched a sweet breakaway pass from Schenn though.

Was great to see Kulemin score his first goal played a smart game and was almost always sneaking into scoring areas.

Schenn was a rock on the back end and made some great breakout passes, aswell as some really nice hits that shook up a couple Red Wings. He played well beyond his years.

Stajan was meh. Antropov and Blake were meh. Ponikarovsky had a couple nice hits but other then that he was meh.

Steen played a good game, he was trying to create some things out there offensively and played a really strong two-way game.
Grabo is in the same boat. He had alot of small set ups that we're creating scoring chances.. I like his motivation to get into scoring areas.

Mayers was OK. He wasn't noticeable but he does alot of little things right and stood up for his teammates.

Mitchell played a good hard two-way game. Blocked a few shots and initiated some contact. He was 4th line so I couldn't really ask for much more then that.

I was pretty impressed on how organized the team was. I remember coming to the Leafs vs. Wings last year and the Leafs were running around alot more. They seem to be alot better coming out of their zone (very strong breakouts in this game), aswell as setting up off the rush in the offensive zone. There's alot more poise it seems to their game and they were blocking alot of shots.. they also did a really good job of clearing the puck high and off the glass. They are a very strong forechecking team aswell.. way better then last season.

Overall good game..I was really hoping the Leafs could spoil the Red Wings home opener. But there was no doubt the Leafs caught the Wings napping this first game.

10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Alistar

Quote:

as a fan of the Dallas Stars I can say you guys are going to love Hagman. He brings it every night in all 3 zones, and will create alot of scoring chances out of nothing. Unfortunatly he doesn't have the greatest hands so it's frustrating to watch him bungle wide open oppurtunities, but he also has a way of scoring clutch goals.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Howly17

Quote:
Beautiful
lol my team slogan for the rest of the year.. check out the real pic on the site, probably the funniest thing ever..

its a crowd full of 250 angry people, and two leafs fans jumping up, and one drunk chick with a pitcher of beer who probably doesn't know what hockey is hahahahah

Old
10-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Howly17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
as a fan of the Dallas Stars I can say you guys are going to love Hagman. He brings it every night in all 3 zones, and will create alot of scoring chances out of nothing. Unfortunatly he doesn't have the greatest hands so it's frustrating to watch him bungle wide open oppurtunities, but he also has a way of scoring clutch goals.
haha anythings better then most of what we watched last year.. we finally got a guy who can dazzle us with some speed and moves, its worth something at least! lol

Old
10-09-2008, 10:02 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
lol my team slogan for the rest of the year.. check out the real pic on the site, probably the funniest thing ever..

its a crowd full of 250 angry people, and two leafs fans jumping up, and one drunk chick with a pitcher of beer who probably doesn't know what hockey is hahahahah
I just love being hated and a good give a damn about what other people think

Old
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Patrick96

more organized ;P

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
wendelclark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
The kids played very well this game.

Matt Stajan - Looked confused out there. Got an untimely penalty. Only played 9 minutes. Had a few turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive zone. Needs to pick it up in the toughness department to stick with this team.
we say that every year yet he always remains a puss

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

My friend, who is a Wings fan, mentioned that you can already tell the Leafs are better coached than last year. Even with all the dislike for Wilson and criticizing of his playoff coaching, Ron Wilson >>>> Paul Maurice. Of course, it helps when the team is energetic, excited to play, and more than willing to buy into the system. Love the attitude so far.

Moore for Captain!!!

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
we say that every year yet he always remains a puss
very true

i cant wait for him and steen to be moved out

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote