HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm curious if any of the tank fans were actually cheering for the wings?

Old
10-10-2008, 09:35 AM
teamsundin

vCash: 500
I'm curious if any of the tank fans were actually cheering for the wings?

In the last minute, were you hoping the wings tied it?

teamsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:41 AM
malliabu

I was still cheering for the Leafs.

Sure I want them to get the first overall pick and I'll be picking them to lose most games in the prediction thread...but I won't stop cheering for them.

malliabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Raging Bull

I always cheer for the Leafs to win. What's the difference? Whether or not we root for a team does not affect the outcome of a game. If you aren't cheering for the Leafs to win, does that even make you a fan?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
too_long

If anyone would hope that the leafs lose a game, especially after such a great effort, is not a Leaf fan in my books.

What if they start 5-0.. do we start to yell for Wilsons head?

This whole tank stuff is depressing..imagine 81 more games cheering against your supposed favourite team?

too_long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:50 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I could never cheer against the Leafs in favour of the Wings that's for sure!

As for the whole year, it plays out how it plays out. I'd love to be able to bottom out one year and build up from there, but if not so be it. Keeping 1st rounders (to an extent) is all I care about.

10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka13erle View Post
In the last minute, were you hoping the wings tied it?
No.

That win was huge. Defending cup champs vs supposedly one of the worst teams in the league? What a confidence builder, especially for a young team. Kulemin with the GWG.

Couldn't have been any better.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:54 AM
sgupca

Its hard to cheer against the leafs. I want them to tank, but i was cheering for them the entire game!

Go Leafs Go!

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Hashmark

I'm not a "tank fan" per se.. I just realize the team won't likely be that great this year so I hope we get a high pick. That said, I was cheering for the Leafs to retain the lead, but I don't think I would've been that upset if they'd given it up. This year is more about entertaining games, effort and individual growth for me - not results.

Even if the Leafs had lost in OT I would've been happy with the game.

Hashmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Raging Bull

The best thing for the kids development is winning games. With winning comes confidence, and confidence is basically the number one thing for a young player on this Leafs team.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Raptactics29

Like many have said, I would love a high draft pick but if the team plays great that's amazing and I'll be cheering all the way!! I'll still be going to my 2-3 games this year, face painted and dressed in blue and white!!!!

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Like many have said, I would love a high draft pick but if the team plays great that's amazing and I'll be cheering all the way!! I'll still be going to my 2-3 games this year, face painted and dressed in blue and white!!!!
agree 100%..

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
The best thing for the kids development is winning games. With winning comes confidence, and confidence is basically the number one thing for a young player on this Leafs team.
Exactly. Beating the champs was huge for these kids. Anyone who would cheer against the Leafs, is not a Leaf fan. Sure, I want them to get good picks but I could never, EVER, cheer against them. I want a good effort each night and I saw that.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Z0S0
Gomie is my Homie

Send a message via MSN to Z0S0
Its great to see them win the first game which is awesome and played a hell of a game and deserved the win. Im not a tank fan but I know for a fact we dont have a good enough team for the playoffs and will be contending for the top 5 picks. So no I never cheer against the Leafs and surely didnt start last night.

Z0S0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
I am way more excited this year as opposed to last few years even though its almost guaranteed they will suck. I think Fletch is on the right path and bringing Grabs + Hagman, Schenn and now Kulemin is up and theres just so much awesomeness about watching these young guys starting their careers. Kulemin scoring a goal in his 1st game - is there anything greater than that?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

I'm sure a few did, though I doubt it will be admitted. There are fanataics at both ends of the spectrum, although most of us are realists and are in the middle some where.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:02 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
I went into the game, with little enthusiasm, little desire for victory, and man..never wanted to tank, but was pretty indifferent.

I burst out laughing the first leaf goal..then the 2nd..then realized..maybe Ron Wilson intentionally is low balling this team. I never expected such a solid effort, and it is soo refreshing to watch them play compared to last year. That game was awesome to watch really, and man..i'm excited.

Can't wait till Saturday. Now..we'll see..was this a one game fluke, or are the leafs not nearly as bad as we expect?

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
There is no such thing as "Tank fans", they are in fact called Senator fans. Any person that roots for a team to lose is NOT a fan and I hope the other posters understand that when looking at a posters credibility. I'm going to place all the "tank fans" on ignore very soon and only communicate with real fans who live and die with every game

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Exactly. Beating the champs was huge for these kids. Anyone who would cheer against the Leafs, is not a Leaf fan. Sure, I want them to get good picks but I could never, EVER, cheer against them. I want a good effort each night and I saw that.
Maybe the first time I have ever agreed with one of your posts and I agree 150% with it this time. Do I care if they lose this year? Maybe not as much as some years, but damn I want to be entertained. We have not seen effort since Quinn left and it seems like Ron Wilson has gotten to this team already. I'm VERY excited about this season

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Leafidelity
Compete Level

vCash: 1775
I think some people have a very black and white view of "tank fans". Its not like we suddenly turned into anti-leaf fans one day. I still enjoy a great win by the kids myself, but Im not going to get my panties in a bunch if we lose that game in the last minutes.

We still enjoy a good hard earned win, we just dont start crying or call for heads when that doesnt happen.

This is the young team WE wanted... why would we be upset to see them get a character win?

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:00 PM
despotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
I think some people have a very black and white view of "tank fans". Its not like we suddenly turned into anti-leaf fans one day. I still enjoy a great win by the kids myself, but Im not going to get my panties in a bunch if we lose that game in the last minutes.

We still enjoy a good hard earned win, we just dont start crying or call for heads when that doesnt happen.

This is the young team WE wanted... why would we be upset to see them get a character win?
You haven't met the Mess I suppose ....

despotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
LeafsFan92

I'll be winning for us to win every game until we're officially eliminated from the playoffs (be it in the regular season, or hopefully in the actual playoffs).

LeafsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
LTL

Hell no. Check my posts during the game.

As I've mentioned a million times before, teams won't finish 0-82. No sense in hoping the leafs will lose at the beginning of the season.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Twist and Shout

I tried to at the start since I had money riding on Detroit winning, then Kubina scored and I forgot about it.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Sportacus
:)

My priorities:

1)Win
2)If you can't win, Tank.

It's my way of being optimistic regardless of the result.

10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

I would never not cheer for the Leafs, even though I believe they really need the franchise player they could potentially get out of this draft. Thats what makes it so gutwrenching.

And like I've said before, cheer to win and console ourselves with Tavares when we lose.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote