HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings - THU Oct 9 7PM EST- 08/09 Season Opener HNIC (part 2)

Old
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
LTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
I don't think I am *****ing day in and day out about every single move made (rumours) and I'm not sure what is "obviously occurring". What am I missing here? I'm not actually trying bellyache about Fletcher in my original response to you; moreso just responding to your question, some might possibly even call it a challenge, to people have complained about Fletcher. Fletcher's going to be here as long as upper managment keep him in place. Nothing I can do about it. Or are we just not allowed to voice a dissenting opinion?
Believe me draeko17 your not part of the group of posters I'm talking about.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Oh, really.

You do know that there are no franchise players though. Right?
I don't buy into those comments made by Fletch and his scouting staff, AT ALL. While we may not get a 50 goal scorer or 100 point hockey player closer to 8-10th we'll definitely get someone whose a producer.

Honestly I think those comments were all agenda based more then anything else.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1900
Did Schenn hit the ice in the last 2 minutes tonight?

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
He didn't play after 17:26 of the third period.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/TV020005.HTM

Old
10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Twist and Shout

Can't boo 'em. Lost a bunch of money tonight but I'd rather lose it and win than pay to go to the game and have them lose.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Norbert

Hey guys, just wanted you to know how much I appreciated your team beating the wings. Also, seeing as I've never really had anything against your team anyway, I wish you guys luck the rest of the season...good first regular season game to watch. (Minus the europe stuff.)

Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:02 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Believe me draeko17 your not part of the group of posters I'm talking about.
I'm not sure where exactly your confusion lies. I don't agree with everything that fletcher does, does that make me a fletch hater??? He wanted to change the team, he was allowed to change the team, he changed the team. honestly the biggest difference seen on the ice tonite was in the coaching. i mean really, when did you last watch a 60 min effort like that from a leaf team? the team was on task and focused. cudo's to fletcher for doing something jfj wasn't allowed to do, take a mulligan on maurice and hire an nhl coach. kulemin and tlusty were fun to watch, steen was buzzing all over the place, antro and poni were a force down low, hagman was great, moore was flying, grabo has alot of poise with the puck, luke played great in his first game, cola was trying too hard, kubina carried over the play he had the last third of last year. they looked like a well coached team, which for a first game against (who, lets be fair, kind of brought their C game tonite) the defending champs is impressive. kudos to wilson.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM
TheOtherSide

The Leafs did all the little things right...which is what made them the better team tonight...overall a very good game

TheOtherSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
dacoach

did wilson do a press conference after the game? I didn't hear anything on the internet broadcast on am 640. Usually they cut away for that or is that only home games? it's been awhile...

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
LTL

Side question here geared towards the Hab game Saturday:

Have we shown enough speed over the last 7-8 games to be able to keep up with the quicker teams around the league?

Will the Habs beat us on speed alone and which defenceman (if any) will get schooled on a regular basis from the outside?

Old
10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Man oh man is it nice to have a good coach again.

That team looked better and more organized than any leaf team we've seen since before the lockout. They were very crisp moving the puck in their own zone out of trouble - they actually knew where their teammates were going to be, and weren't turning over the puck at all, while causing all sorts of turnovers from the wings with their speed and aggressive play.

The Leafs played well enough defensively to help Toskala get through some early game jitters, and then he paid them right back with some solid goaltending down the stretch.

All four lines were buzzing nicely....you know, if we're good enough to have Stajan and Mayers - two top-6 forwards last year - on our 4th line, we have a very deep set of forwards.

And damn, was that sweet to see from Kulemin. That was awesome. Just a slick, goal-scorers goal displaying all of his speed, hands, and shot. Perfect.

Nice start. A couple more like that should build some nice confidence.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
shaner89

I could watch this team all year, no problem. That was so fun. The team ACTUALLY PLAYED HARD. That did not happen last year at all.

Grabovski is sooo dirty.
Kulemin is going to be a star.. Give him more time to shine.
Tlustly looked very good

Poni, Blake and Antropov can sit on the bench all ****ing year for all care. All 3 of them suck dick.

Notice all the new blood was busting there nuits all night....

The vets from last yr... same old story... same old bs

Go all young and move all the vets

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
paired with kaberle all night until the end of the third like ltl mentioned and also late in the second kubina was again out there with kaberle. seems strange though, why would a team that is so obviously trying to lose take the rookie off the ice in key situations? schenn did take a regular shift on the pk with kaberle as well. no pp time.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Side question here geared towards the Hab game Saturday:

Have we shown enough speed over the last 7-8 games to be able to keep up with the quicker teams around the league?

Will the Habs beat us on speed alone and which defenceman (if any) will get schooled on a regular basis from the outside?
Think we controlled Detroit pretty good. If we can keep them to the outside like they did tonight it shouldn't be an issue imo

Old
10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
I could watch this team all year, no problem. That was so fun. The team ACTUALLY PLAYED HARD. That did not happen last year at all.

Grabovski is sooo dirty.
Tlustly looked very good

Poni, Blake and Antropov can sit on the bench all ****ing year for all care. All 3 of them suck dick.

Can't agree with you completely.

Stajan-Mitchell-Mayers were the worst line by far.

Mayers and Stajan both minus players (and worthy of being minus) and Mayers with the Wozniewski penalty late in the game.

Mitchell is going to have a hard time carrying those two all year.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:15 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
paired with kaberle all night until the end of the third like ltl mentioned and also late in the second kubina was again out there with kaberle. seems strange though, why would a team that is so obviously trying to lose take the rookie off the ice in key situations? schenn did take a regular shift on the pk with kaberle as well. no pp time.
I was watching to see if Wilson would put him out but got caught up in the excitement.
It seemed Kaberle was really trying to protect Schenn by not giving him the puck when the heat was on, something he's been prone to do when paired with a fellow veteran.

Old
10-09-2008, 11:19 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I was watching to see if Wilson would put him out but got caught up in the excitement.
It seemed Kaberle was really trying to protect Schenn by not giving him the puck when the heat was on, something he's been prone to do when paired with a fellow veteran.
I noticed that a couple times, when he looked over to him but then took the puck himself rather than put the pressure on the kid.

Good thing is that Kaberle's puck skills are so good he can get away with that.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:20 PM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

What a game boys!! **** ya. We took a big steaming DUMP on the oh so glorious and unstoppable Red Wings. The fawned over soon to be repeat Champions. AHAHAHAHAHA

Kulemin in.....SCORES!!! oh what a beauty!!!

EAT **** DETROIT!!! EAT OUR REBUILDING ****!!!! AHAHAHAHA

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
LTL

Game on Monday at 1pm Leafs TV. ****** thanksgiving.

Old
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I noticed that a couple times, when he looked over to him but then took the puck himself rather than put the pressure on the kid.

Good thing is that Kaberle's puck skills are so good he can get away with that.
It was nice to see that and good for Kabs stepping up in the on-ice leadership department.

Old
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Finally, I can watch a game and talk to the people I'm with about the specific style of this team. Hard-working game. Hagman is going to be a solid player for us. Kulemin with some time could be a star. Steen is looking good early on. The speed on our team was noticeable. Regardless of W-L this season I think this team will at least be exciting to watch. Good job boys, now stop dicking around and get us a good draft pick!

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
What a game boys!! **** ya. We took a big steaming DUMP on the oh so glorious and unstoppable Red Wings. The fawned over soon to be repeat Champions. AHAHAHAHAHA

Someone been drinkin??

Old
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

Somebody is definitely enjoying the night. Honestly, too bad its not Friday. Regardless, I'll join in... WAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I disagree with the comment made earlier on Antropov. I thought he was downright impressive, looks like he's worked on his skating in the offseason again. And the reach! The play behind Detroit's net where he outworks and outreaches 2 Detroit defenders was pure gold.

Blake...is the same old "shoot at the goalies chest" Blake. Honestly, when is this guy going to figure out that he is not a very good shooter...his goals are in close, dekes and garbage. Get in there you pesky little speedster!

and Poni...well he's Poni....should never be on a first line in the first place. Its not his job really.

Van Ryn out, Stralman in, veined Leaf our new official logo? I'M ALL FOR IT.

Van Ryn gets to hang out until Schenn is sent back to junior, and then he finds a new job. If Schenn's not sent down, Van Ryn is gone immediately and Frogren gets relagated to the position of a superb 7th Dman once Finger returns.

Commander Clueless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post

Grabovski is sooo dirty.
Tlustly looked very good

I'd agree, our first line is HORRIBLE, for the amount of ice time they got they sure did a whole lot of nothing. IMO there's so many other players that are more skilled and more deserving of that first line role...

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Game on Monday at 1pm Leafs TV. ****** thanksgiving.
ugh.. that's 10 am here and i have to go to work.... thank God for a slingbox and cellphone.. may have to watch off the dvr though later on.