Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Flames @ Canucks, Game 1

Old
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM
flamesfan12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
First off I have to say what a well done tribute by the Canucks for Luc Bourdon. Very impressed and a very well done presentation. Terrific job by the Canucks organization.

Well... let's just forget about this game. A terrible night from pretty much everyone in a flames uniform. I actually really liked our first period, but with the missed opportunities on the 5 on 3 we lost all our momentum. Moss has to put the puck in the net with those chances. Can't waste those kind of chances especially with Luongo in net.

Conroy in particular had a really bad night. Way to many turnovers and got caught losing his man on atleast two of the goals. Hope thats the last we see of him on the first line as well.

Did Lombardi play in the third? Didn't notice him at all. Still has the flu or maybe injured?

Here's hoping for a much better game from everyone Saturday night.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM
BloatedGuppy

Meh. Kipper and Calgary do this every year. They start the season 3-9-3 or something, everyone freaks out, and then by Christmas they've won 20 straight. I wouldn't worry, Flames fans.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Hyde

Fun Fact: The Calgary Flames have only won 1 season opener since 1995/96.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:59 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Fun Fact: The Calgary Flames have only won 1 season opener since 1995/96.

Time to start betting large amounts of money on this.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Meh. Kipper and Calgary do this every year. They start the season 3-9-3 or something, everyone freaks out, and then by Christmas they've won 20 straight. I wouldn't worry, Flames fans.
There really isn't a big melt down going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post

Time to start betting large amounts of money on this.

Yeah, but the 95/96 season is one to forget the Flames started great and then....BAM....out by Christmas.

Old
10-10-2008, 02:05 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
First off I have to say what a well done tribute by the Canucks for Luc Bourdon. Very impressed and a very well done presentation. Terrific job by the Canucks organization.

Yeah, the Bourdon tribute was nicely done.

Quote:
Well... let's just forget about this game. A terrible night from pretty much everyone in a flames uniform. I actually really liked our first period, but with the missed opportunities on the 5 on 3 we lost all our momentum. Moss has to put the puck in the net with those chances. Can't waste those kind of chances especially with Luongo in net.

Yep, and the same thing can be said of Bourque tonight.

Quote:
Conroy in particular had a really bad night. Way to many turnovers and got caught losing his man on atleast two of the goals. Hope thats the last we see of him on the first line as well.

Conroy was definitely horrible. I don't understand why he saw any minutes on the top line tonight. I know Keenan likes to shuffle his lines to try and see who he can get chemistry from, but it should be a given that Iginla and Langkow play on the same line.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Conroy was definitely horrible. I don't understand why he saw any minutes on the top line tonight. I know Keenan likes to shuffle his lines to try and see who he can get chemistry from, but it should be a given that Iginla and Langkow play on the same line.
Rumour is Langkow is still not feeling 100% from the Flu.

Old
10-10-2008, 02:14 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Tbh that's getting really old and it's not a good excuse anymore, nor was it ever really. There's no legitimate reason the Flames can't start off the season strong. Especially with the new look of the team this year.

On topic of the game, I really don't know what to say. We were just plain dominated in every way. We had one good stretch in the first period where our powerplay looked dominant and there was no way the Canucks were stripping our forwards off the puck. Then all it takes is an odd man rush the other way, goal, and we never had momentum again. This happened a lot last year, good offensive pressure for a prolonged period, odd man rush the other way and poor defensive coverage leads to a tic-tac-toe goal. Vancouver's defensive coverage put ours to shame. So did their finishing ability. And breakouts. And goaltending...

Conroy I had specific frustrations with tonight. A pretty invisible pre-season and he gets rewarded with 1st line duties on the season opener? Typical Keenan for you. However it's not really fair to single him out because over half our team was particularly awful.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Hyde

Larf, at anyone who blames Kipper tonight (yesterday whatever!). The whole Calgary Flames team collapsed after the first. We all watched that game they were sloppy, their defense dissappeared and forwards forgot how to score a goal. I guess it is just easier to blame the Goalie.

Kipper was hung out to dry tonight. Plain and simple. On five of the goals no one picked up the extra Canuck attacker, on one of the goal was a brutal D-zone turn over with everyone out of position.

I am all for blaming Kipper on the soft and weak goals but that was not the case tonight.

Last edited by Hyde: 10-10-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old
10-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Barney Gumble

Only one game - doesn't matter whether you lose by 1-0 or 6-0. I'd expect a much better Flames effort - for the entire game (vs one period) - on Saturday.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:36 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Just a serious question from an Oiler fan...

Do you think it was a mistake to leave Kipper in the game when the team hung him out to dry? Don't get me wrong, Kipper was good, but sometimes you have to pull the guy if there's no team playing in front of him. Was Keenan sending a message, or was he being his typical self (douchebage)?

I noticed Kipper looking over to the bench quite a bit - almost begging to get taken off the ice under those conditions.

Just wondering.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
Just a serious question from an Oiler fan...

Do you think it was a mistake to leave Kipper in the game when the team hung him out to dry? Don't get me wrong, Kipper was good, but sometimes you have to pull the guy if there's no team playing in front of him. Was Keenan sending a message, or was he being his typical self (douchebage)?

I noticed Kipper looking over to the bench quite a bit - almost begging to get taken off the ice under those conditions.

Just wondering.
Not a Flames fan, but I wondered the same thing after the 5th goal and I think that it's probably better to let him stay in net. It's the first game of the season, and pulling him would be a major effect on his confidence. You can't let him lose that, or else the whole season goes down the drain. It's better to let him know that you still believe in him.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Toro

Another outsider's take.

The flames looked slow out there, and the Canucks looked fast. Kipper was let out to dry and really didn't have a chance to make a difference in this game, wether he let in 6 goals or 2. Iginla really needs someone to play hockey with. Camalleri looked small and speedy but looks to lack finish, im wondering how many of you guys will admit that Tanguy is a way better 2 way player maybe not as aggressive but you guys seem to lack playmaking now and thats Tanguay's forte. He did very well his first year, maybe keenan had a reason for 50 odd points and the new role as shutdown winger and pk'er?. will i'm on the subject of former Flames, do you miss the Hammer?

Your best defenceman was missed tonight but still, im not impressed. A few guys really had horrible games, conroy was terrible defensively, isn't that what he is there for? I really didn't see much effective back checking all around but conroy sticks in my mind. anyway i know it was just one game, and im probably reading too much into it but, the rematch will be interesting to watch.

to the Flames bringing it and showing the team i have read about all summer.

I cheer for all canadian teams except Ottawa

edit: maybe we will see Ryan Wilson this season? He will develop into a good PP defenceman that can move the puck and shoot and stick handle and deak like elite forwards. Just dreaming...but i bet he gets a chance in the next couple years.

Last edited by Toro: 10-10-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:24 AM
LennyV

awful start. I live in sweden and can therefore not see many of the games by our beloved Flames. I overslept today, came in late to work and found out that we lost 6-0 to Vancouver. dammit Kipper, you're supposed to help me get through the day...

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4097
The first period was awesome for the Flames, Luongo just didnt want to let anything in and the tide turned.

Bertuzzi was invisible.

The Flames looked great when playing with that hard hitting edge.

Maybe my memory has been failing me, but Iginla looked extra sharp with his puck posession skills

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
The Flames were unlucky to be losing after the first, they had the chances, they had control, the pucks just weren't going in. But that team didn't really look like it belonged in the NHL in the next 2 periods. The best Flame for the last 40 minutes was far and away Wayne Primeau, it was just embarassing.

It seems to me like our defensemen have tunnel vision and our forwards don't really understand what backchecking is supposed to entail, that needs to get sorted out before Saturday's game. Conroy looked like absolute crap out there last night, he's really got to pick it up.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Random thoughts:

Conroy (wth is he doing on the first line?) and Aucoin suck
Bourque is frustrating as hell
Kipper was at fault for maybe 2 of those goals, our defensive play is a disgrace, anyways it's not Kippers fault for the loss
I like what I saw from Cammalleri, Bert and Iggy
Steve Bernier is amazing, they got a steal for 2 2nds
Luongo is the best goalie in the league

Embarrassing loss but thankfully it's just the first game

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
My thoughts:

- Hopefully Bernier isn't pregnant with Phaneuf's baby after that hugfest. In a division with Bernier and Stortini, hopefully Elisha Cuthbert isn't the jealous type.

Bahaha, I cant stop laughing at that.

Its the first game. Keenen should be able to whip everyone back within a few games. I dont think you guys were prepared for how much and how hard we were going to hit you.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Hyde

Quote:
D Adam Pardy, into his first-ever NHL game because of Regehr's absence, worked 21 minutes. He was minus-1, with one missed shot, one hit, one takeaway, one blocked shot.

To his credit, he was not the team's worst defenceman.
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...vancouver.aspx

Old
10-10-2008, 10:07 AM
KingofSpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
My thoughts:
- If only Moss had scored on the Powerplay in the first.
I know this is really grasping at straws, but with all the pressure the PP was putting on the Canucks, when that second penalty is called, shouldn't Keenan have taken his timeout and sent the first unit back out there for the 5-on-3?

That was my thought process at the time. Yes, it was early in the game, but the momentum change would have been huge. Instead of Iginla and co., we send out Moss and Bourque to desperately shovel glorious opportunities into the goalie, or wide.

KingofSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Hyde

Hey we can't get upset about that loss last night. I chose to look on the bright side, doesn't anyone recall the last time Van beat the Flames in the season opener, that went on to be a very nice year for Flames Fans. If I recall correctly.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HSHnd2U4c54

Old
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
Bahaha, I cant stop laughing at that.

Its the first game. Keenen should be able to whip everyone back within a few games. I dont think you guys were prepared for how much and how hard we were going to hit you.
I though the Canucks were not that physical, at least not overly physical. They kept up to the physical game but I don't think they were dominating.

We just got burned by bad defensive break downs and a lack of finish for our forwards.

Kipper looked ok I do not blame him but I am starting to think that Vancouver is or new Nashville as in the team we can never beat.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
27theROCK

Again another outside perspective:

Kipper: Not sharp tonight. Flames need him to bail them out ala Roberto for the Canucks in the 1st and Kipper didnt do that. He also really needs to work on his rebound control as that is going to kill him all year long.

Aucoin: Yikes. Terrible game from him.

Moss: Had two tap ins on the same PP but couldnt connect. You gotta finish that if your out on the PP.

Roy: He is pretty much useless. Why when you have Vandy is this guy even needed. He is a head case and a step down from Goddard. Flames would be better off with Prust in the lineup over him.

Liked what I seen out of Bert and Iginla to start the game. They need a skilled center on that line though... Maybe a Lombardi. Conroy is not the answer unless the question is who should only be on the 3rd or 4th line. When Bert slowed down the game was well out of reach.

Cammy: Hated when you guys picked him up but he didnt do anything last night. Just wasnt clicking for him. He will get his though.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Wags

I have to agree with something that was said by either Milbury or Hrudey during one of the intermissions. They were talking about the "Puck Pursuit" system that Keenan's teams always play. The system in question calls for all of the forwards in the offensive zone to collapse to the puck, and in the d-zone it works similarly. What I noticed after that is how many times that system causes Flames players to be caught out of position, and results in just chasing the play instead of letting the play come to them. Is it just me, or is this not a good way to try to compete in todays NHL where the amount of speed around the league means if you are chasing, you are in trouble?

Great job by the 'Nucks organization on the tribute. Very classy.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Another outsider's take.

The flames looked slow out there, and the Canucks looked fast. Kipper was let out to dry and really didn't have a chance to make a difference in this game, wether he let in 6 goals or 2. Iginla really needs someone to play hockey with. Camalleri looked small and speedy but looks to lack finish, im wondering how many of you guys will admit that Tanguy is a way better 2 way player maybe not as aggressive but you guys seem to lack playmaking now and thats Tanguay's forte. He did very well his first year, maybe keenan had a reason for 50 odd points and the new role as shutdown winger and pk'er?. will i'm on the subject of former Flames, do you miss the Hammer?

Your best defenceman was missed tonight but still, im not impressed. A few guys really had horrible games, conroy was terrible defensively, isn't that what he is there for? I really didn't see much effective back checking all around but conroy sticks in my mind. anyway i know it was just one game, and im probably reading too much into it but, the rematch will be interesting to watch.

to the Flames bringing it and showing the team i have read about all summer.

I cheer for all canadian teams except Ottawa

edit: maybe we will see Ryan Wilson this season? He will develop into a good PP defenceman that can move the puck and shoot and stick handle and deak like elite forwards. Just dreaming...but i bet he gets a chance in the next couple years.
Your not making any friends here.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote