HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Fan Chat Q/A with Sergei Federov

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

vCash: 500
ESPN Fan Chat Q/A with Sergei Federov

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4872

Quote:
Philip (Atlanta): Sergei, did Pavel Bure at least ask you if it was ok if he wanted to date Anna?

Sergei Fedorov: No he never did. And who cares at this point anyways.

Old
02-26-2004, 05:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

paul nguyen (the oc): In your own opinion, why is scoring down in the league?

Sergei Fedorov: Because the league got expanded and expansion teams didn't have a lot of high end players, so they came up with systems that will give them a chance to survive. I'm talking about defensive structure. Partially that's why, a lot of structured defense.

Old
02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
sergei federov huh?

any relation to sergei Fedorov?

Old
02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
I never saw that question...

Old
02-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
sergei federov huh?

any relation to sergei Fedorov?

Whoops !

Old
02-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler94
I never saw that question...
Holy, they removed it.

I swear, it was on when I was looking at it.

Old
02-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

odd...he always seems uncomfortable talking about Anna K. anyways....

interesting comments on his brother, he has really been vocal to the media about how much he wants to play with his brother

Old
02-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Kukla

He made a terribel decision not to accept Detroit's contract offer. This guy was well on his way to the Hall of Fame and in another few years people will forget all about his acomplishments and wonder what could have been.

Old
02-26-2004, 06:58 PM
kenabnrmal

The numbers may not be where fans expect it to be, but Fedorov has been the Ducks best player. His play hasn't slipped, the team's as a whole has. A step forward from the rest of the team next season will result in a reasonable spike in his numbers.

Old
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Fedorov admitted on CBC After Hours two weeks ago or so that if he wasn't going through all the trouble with Anna K. when Detroit made their first offer, he would probably still be in Motorcity. He also said that after he switched agents, the first offer from Detroit was no longer on the table.
I think his thoughts on the World Cup are interesting. I'm guessing because of this and other interviews he's done, that he is unlikely to be playing in the World Cup.

Old
02-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Team Dandenault

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Dandenault
It's laughable that he thinks that Datsyuk looks tired at times. I was just thinking it was Fedorov that mopes around. And Dats' ice time has been cut too...

I can't help but think that Sergei regrets leaving Detroit and I'm sure that it burns him that Pavel Datsyuk has stepped into his role quite well.

Good luck in the playoffs Mr. Kornikova! :dazzle:

Old
02-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Vyacheslav
Pro

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I think Datsyuk looks tired at times too. I don't think he meant it as an insult.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dandenault
It's laughable that he thinks that Datsyuk looks tired at times. I was just thinking it was Fedorov that mopes around. And Dats' ice time has been cut too...
It's true. The biggest knock on Datsuyk is that he isn't very strong physically. He doesn't have a great stamina. And Fedorov has always been a horse. Fedorov is just being honest.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I thought his comments on his participation on the Russian World Cup team were interesting. Reading between the lines, it appears who's running the show and how the team is managed will play a large part in whether he plays or not. He cites the fatigue factor as well. IMO this is the situation with a few of the Russian players.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

I can't help but think that Sergei regrets leaving Detroit and I'm sure that it burns him that Pavel Datsyuk has stepped into his role quite well.

Uhh, he kinda appears to be right Datysuk kinda went through a period of being invisible possibly due to fatigue? I don't think he regrets leaving at all he seems more laid back, I think it burns him he won't make the playoffs but I don't think he regrets leaving Detroit especially after being welcomed back like he was.

I have a question for the unbiased Red Wing fans on Fedorov, why was he labeled a whiner,cancer,complainer etc by the fans? i've heard claims he has no leadership skills yet all of his teammates look to him for advice(particularly the young guys) he's been labeled as selfish yet everything he talks about is the team. So i'm just wondering as to why he got labeled like that.

I guess Fedor must be pretty good if he's saying Fedor is almost as fast as him and may be faster in a few years.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:36 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Uhh, he kinda appears to be right Datysuk kinda went through a period of being invisible possibly due to fatigue? I don't think he regrets leaving at all he seems more laid back, I think it burns him he won't make the playoffs but I don't think he regrets leaving Detroit especially after being welcomed back like he was.

I have a question for the unbiased Red Wing fans on Fedorov, why was he labeled a whiner,cancer,complainer etc by the fans? i've heard claims he has no leadership skills yet all of his teammates look to him for advice(particularly the young guys) he's been labeled as selfish yet everything he talks about is the team. So i'm just wondering as to why he got labeled like that.

I guess Fedor must be pretty good if he's saying Fedor is almost as fast as him and may be faster in a few years.
Fedor has amazing skills. He's probably close to as skilled as Sergei, but he's not as committed and he hasn't gained the ability to think the game as well as Sergei does. Canucks fans will bag the guy relentlessly (maybe because the organization does), but I've spent the entire season watching Fedor live, and I'd be thrilled as a Ducks fan if they landed him.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Fedor has amazing skills. He's probably close to as skilled as Sergei, but he's not as committed and he hasn't gained the ability to think the game as well as Sergei does. Canucks fans will bag the guy relentlessly (maybe because the organization does), but I've spent the entire season watching Fedor live, and I'd be thrilled as a Ducks fan if they landed him.
Fedor's goin nowhere.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:59 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Fedor's goin nowhere.
For the organizations sake, I should hope not. However, thats an ambitious statement to make considering they admittedly tried to trade him while he was sitting for 10 games.

The Fedorovs have an interesting way about them. Sergei especially, but Fedor seems to have a bit of it too. Doesn't seem to have the "interview mode" that many players do. They don't say things for the sake of saying them, or say the thing that the interviewer or the viewer necessarily wants to hear. I'm leaning towards honesty on this one...they appear to be more honest in their interviews...more blunt. Not just saying what they're supposed to be saying. Am I the only one who's picked this up?

Old
02-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
It's laughable that he thinks that Datsyuk looks tired at times.
No. What's laughable is that you didn't notice that fact. Datsyuk is one of the weaker players in this league. With the kind of talent he has, he'd be one of the top 5 most dominant players in the league if not for the physical aspect.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Lyons71

When he was interviewed the first game of the season during warm ups, they asked him what it's like not playing for the Wings, (or something like that) and he answered along the lines: 'I don't know, I've got a warm-up to do.' I really appreciate the guys honesty.

Fedorov also seems to be a normal team player for the Ducks. They had an article in the program not too long ago about his mentoring of the young russians on the team. I don't know what he was doing in Detroit to receive the criticism he got, but he's definitely not doing it in Anaheim.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
The Fedorovs have an interesting way about them. Sergei especially, but Fedor seems to have a bit of it too. Doesn't seem to have the "interview mode" that many players do. They don't say things for the sake of saying them, or say the thing that the interviewer or the viewer necessarily wants to hear. I'm leaning towards honesty on this one...they appear to be more honest in their interviews...more blunt. Not just saying what they're supposed to be saying. Am I the only one who's picked this up?
well it definitely isn't the old "give it a 110%", "do what I can to help the team", "playing hard" cookie-cutter responses

Old
02-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Absolut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
I don't know what he was doing in Detroit to receive the criticism he got, but he's definitely not doing it in Anaheim.
Fedorov is not an all-American (all-Canadian) boy. He wasn't disliked because he was Russian - Detroit fans would love Kovalev or Samsonov. He was disliked because people couldn't relate to him. Feds is a quintessential European guy - in style of play, in the way he looked, in the way he dressed, and in the way he lacked PR skills. Not exactly a type normally embraced by Detroit.

Media types didn't like him either: he wasn't one of those guys who'll tell you what you want to hear, or "put on a happy face" for the cameras. And when the media doesn't like you, you are dead meat. I also felt that the Red Wings organization didn't treat Fedorov right. They used media as a weapon against Fedorov in 1997, during his contract negotiations.

Overall, I think Fedorov got a really raw deal in Detroit. He did whatever the team needed him to do. He played whatever position he was asked to play. He took the humiliation of being constantly called out by Bowman, while others got away with just about anything. Fedorov may not be putting up great numbers in California, but I bet deep down he is thrilled to be in a place where he is wanted and respected.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:56 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
He made a terribel decision not to accept Detroit's contract offer. This guy was well on his way to the Hall of Fame and in another few years people will forget all about his acomplishments and wonder what could have been.
yeah everyone will forget the Hart, the two Selkes, the first Russian to a 1,000 points, three Stanley Cups. Multiple 20 point playoff seasons.

Get real.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:59 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:

I think it's laughable that their can't be a Fedorov thread without a bunch of whiny Detroit fans throwing insults around.

Check Datsyuk's stats. Outside of some powerplay points, he's very little for eight weeks now.

Tired is a good way to desribe him.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:03 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller

He was labelled a cancer/complainer because he was Russian and there are a ton of uneducated fans in Detroit who maintain their redneck beliefs.

I gained a ton of respect for Sergei during the HNIC after hours interview. He was honest. He was sincere. He was a nice guy.
Yet he's a cancer? Why? Because he was a little moody during his divorce? Perhaps he should have pulled a Brendan Shanahan and stole a teammate's wife?

Detroit fans suck.

Closed Thread