HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Fan Chat Q/A with Sergei Federov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2004, 10:08 AM
  #26
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
When he was interviewed the first game of the season during warm ups, they asked him what it's like not playing for the Wings, (or something like that) and he answered along the lines: 'I don't know, I've got a warm-up to do.' I really appreciate the guys honesty.

Fedorov also seems to be a normal team player for the Ducks. They had an article in the program not too long ago about his mentoring of the young russians on the team. I don't know what he was doing in Detroit to receive the criticism he got, but he's definitely not doing it in Anaheim.
He was too flashy. Hot girlfriend. Hot cars.

Detroit fans are more comfy with the Yzerman image of blue-collar, etc.

Funny thing is though, ask anyone who hangs out in D-town after dark. Fedorov walked among people at the local clubs. Several of my friends claim to have talked to him at bars/restaurants and they all say he's friendly/polite. And he was a horse. He rarely missed hockey games.

Yzerman, outside of the media, is nowhere near as accessible as Fedorov was. And he's missed a ton of games over his career.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 10:37 AM
  #27
Cruiser008
Registered User
 
Cruiser008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
Fedorov is not an all-American (all-Canadian) boy. He wasn't disliked because he was Russian - Detroit fans would love Kovalev or Samsonov. He was disliked because people couldn't relate to him. Feds is a quintessential European guy - in style of play, in the way he looked, in the way he dressed, and in the way he lacked PR skills. Not exactly a type normally embraced by Detroit.
Actually Fedorov is the most Americanized of all the Europeans. He is enigmatic... that's for sure. But that's certainly NOT why ppl didn't like him. Also his fashion sense is usually more Hollywood than NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
Media types didn't like him either: he wasn't one of those guys who'll tell you what you want to hear, or "put on a happy face" for the cameras. And when the media doesn't like you, you are dead meat. I also felt that the Red Wings organization didn't treat Fedorov right. They used media as a weapon against Fedorov in 1997, during his contract negotiations.
The 'organization' didn't treat him right? More like the other way around! Coming off the historic victory in 1997 and the subsequent tragedy, Fedorov decides to sit out most of next season due to a contract squabble. That year Fedorov makes 28 million due to a clause in his contract. However since the contract is front loaded, he made 2 million each of the next 5 seasons, during which his effort on the ice reflected how much he was paid (except during 2002-03 and during the playoffs)

You're right that he didn't tell you what you wanted to hear... but if you've actually followed his interviews closely over the years you'll notice he frequently changed his words, opinions etc. i.e. Last year (paraphrased)

"I would love to finish my career in Detroit"
"I just want to go to a winning organization"
"Detroit didn't have an offer on the table" (5 years for $50 million not enough?)

99% of his comments were BS last year, and he basically played Detroit. His comments have always been frequently inconsistent , and this year is no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
Overall, I think Fedorov got a really raw deal in Detroit. He did whatever the team needed him to do. He played whatever position he was asked to play. He took the humiliation of being constantly called out by Bowman, while others got away with just about anything. Fedorov may not be putting up great numbers in California, but I bet deep down he is thrilled to be in a place where he is wanted and respected.
Fedorov is one of the most talented players in the league, and from the time Bowman came to Detroit he was our most skilled player. However he takes way too many nights (or shifts during a game) off. If he ever worked as hard as someone like St. Louis or Draper, he'd lead the league in scoring EASILY. Bowman pushed his buttons because he made our offense tick, and coaches do what's best for the TEAM. Also the things demanded of him he was/is more than capable of doing whereas most other players are not.

Lastly you say he is more wanted in Anaheim? Management pampered him the whole year last season Detroit's owner Illitch even visited him personally to tell him how important he was to the hockey team.

The reason Fedorov left Detroit has nothing to do with being wanted, respect, money, etc... I could explain this in another post if people here would like to hear it.

Cruiser008 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
  #28
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
Overall, I think Fedorov got a really raw deal in Detroit. He did whatever the team needed him to do. He played whatever position he was asked to play. He took the humiliation of being constantly called out by Bowman, while others got away with just about anything. Fedorov may not be putting up great numbers in California, but I bet deep down he is thrilled to be in a place where he is wanted and respected.
I dont agree with this at all. I do admit that he was not a media darling, and that contributed to his image being tainted in Detroit. But Scotty Bowman treats almost ALL of his star players the same way he treated Fedorov. Shanahan was always his whipping boy. I mean cmon...Bowman for all intents and purposes, traded STEVE YZERMAN to Ottawa! So Fedorov was not the only Red Wing to get some Bowman mistreatment. The Wings and their fans are not anti-Russian or anti-European, or anything of that nature. Sergei was different. He was aloof sometimes, and I agree that alot of fans simply couldnt relate to him. There was always something other than on ice stuff going around with Sergei too. AnnaK, contract holdout, ice time complaints, Fedorov's father sticking his nose where it didnt belong...stuff like that. Nothing serious or overly out of the ordinary...but it still came off as a distraction and tarnished Sergei's image a bit.

I think I fit the mold of the typical Fedorov fan. I didnt LOVE the guy. I very much appreciated the talent he has and am thankful for what he did for the Wings. But if a guy doesnt really want to be here...than I dont want him here, either. Sergei wanted a change...I have no problem with that.

But it seems like people are questioning his reputation that he had here. I am happy for the Duck fans who are seeing a different guy. But he did bring alot of the criticism on himself in Detroit. Some fans dislike him more than others...but of course, you'll have that.

But to say he was "mistreated" by the Red Wings? Thats not right. I wish I could get "mistreated" like that, if thats the case.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 11:09 AM
  #29
Bobby Orr's Knees
Registered User
 
Bobby Orr's Knees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where it hurts most
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser008
Actually Fedorov is the most Americanized of all the Europeans.
I think the point was that Fedorov doesn't fit in Detroit. I don't think he is "Americananized" either. He is very Euro. Most Hollywood types are actually trying to look lile they are from Paris, Milan or London.

Quote:
The 'organization' didn't treat him right? More like the other way around! Coming off the historic victory in 1997 and the subsequent tragedy, Fedorov decides to sit out most of next season due to a contract squabble. That year Fedorov makes 28 million due to a clause in his contract. However since the contract is front loaded, he made 2 million each of the next 5 seasons, during which his effort on the ice reflected how much he was paid (except during 2002-03 and during the playoffs)
Wait a minute, dude. The offer Detroit gave him was pretty low for a guy of Fedorov's stature. And the contract structure was because that was the structure of the offer sheet from Carolina. What exactly are you blaming Fedorov for?

By the way, the tone of your post tells me that you are kind of blinded by your dislike for Fedorov. So, I don't think any of my arguments will be taken with an open mind anyway...

bobby

Bobby Orr's Knees is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
  #30
Cruiser008
Registered User
 
Cruiser008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
I think the point was that Fedorov doesn't fit in Detroit. I don't think he is "Americananized" either. He is very Euro. Most Hollywood types are actually trying to look lile they are from Paris, Milan or London.


Wait a minute, dude. The offer Detroit gave him was pretty low for a guy of Fedorov's stature. And the contract structure was because that was the structure of the offer sheet from Carolina. What exactly are you blaming Fedorov for?

By the way, the tone of your post tells me that you are kind of blinded by your dislike for Fedorov. So, I don't think any of my arguments will be taken with an open mind anyway...

bobby

I like him at LOT as a hockey player (but not as a person), and Detroit would (and should) taken him back in a second. I just don't like players who deliberately mislead their fans.

Cruiser008 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 11:58 AM
  #31
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,191
vCash: 500
re: the contract offer on the table

the way I've seen Fedorov explain in all the intereviews is that the 5year/$50 million was on the table when Fedorov was going through the divorce with Anna K. He went to management and said I've got a lot on my plater right now, I'm having a hard time even focusing on hockey, can we just wait a bit. So they did, and his agent was pressuring him to try the market, he fired his agent and hired a new one and that 5year/$50 million wasn't there any longer. He said he tried to work out a deal like that again with Detroit, but they weren't as helpful, so he went to check out other suitors.
According to Fedorov, if he wasn't going through the divorce, he probably would of taken the first deal. As a Ducks fan, that makes me feel kinda lucky how everything turned out.
The more interviews Fedorov does the more I like him, I'm not sure if he talked to the media a lot in Detroit, but the guy is really honest, and I like that.

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 12:12 PM
  #32
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
I'm not sure if he talked to the media a lot in Detroit, but the guy is really honest, and I like that.
He got 3 contract offers. 5 at 50. 4 and 40 and 4 and 32. The 4 at 32 came AFTER the 1 st round dump.

You say hes honest. The Wings management said the first contract offer they NEVER got a reply from him. infact the first news they heard was of him firing his agent. Somebody there either woke up, or they thought better of it. and Lowered his demands for a 5 for 50 deal to a 4 for 40. Again, according to wings management, they never got an official reply.

after the 8 for 32 was offered, Fedorov's new agent faxed in a proposal. According to every report ive heard, he threw Detroit a 6 year deal that was backloaded for 12 Million a season. The wings then pulled all thier offers and told him to test the market. Rumors were that the wings stated they would match ANY deal he got, with in reason. And the Ducks deal he got it was reported that the wings DID match. But fedorov wanted to leave.

So Fedorov, while you say is honest, played the card just as vicious as the wings management. Nobody knows what happened between november and march, when the 5 for 50 and 4 for 40 offers were made, Cept the two parties involved. All I know is, divorce or not, if Fedorov would of said to Detroit "yes i like the deal, but give me time to clear up my life" Detroit would of never pulled the offer. Instead they claim he NEVER replied, and they got tired of waiting.

X8oD is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 12:22 PM
  #33
Sundried TOmato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
You say hes honest. The Wings management said the first contract offer they NEVER got a reply from him.
Why do you assume that Fedorov is the one lying here? Wings management could be feeding you a convinient "half-story". We just don't know. Strange how people believe everything they read in the media, or hear from "official sources".

Sundried TOmato is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 02:34 PM
  #34
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundried TOmato
Why do you assume that Fedorov is the one lying here? Wings management could be feeding you a convinient "half-story". We just don't know. Strange how people believe everything they read in the media, or hear from "official sources".
Fedorov admits that the Wings originally offered the 5 year/$50 million deal.

That was the best offer he got the entire time. Why would anyone need some time to think this over? It's a terrific deal for him, and could have taken him to the end of his career. He says his divorce is the reason for wanting to wait? If somebody offers me $50 million....I TAKE IT!!!! Divorce or not.

I think he simply wanted to leave, and I have no problem with that. But he DID make himself a target in Detroit. For some reason everyone now assumes that he was treated like a dog and deserved better and now the Ducks are giving him all the respect that Detroit never game him. Thats not true. Both sides probably made mistakes. But Fedorov is just as much to blame as anybody else.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
  #35
Absolut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London
Country: England
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
He says his divorce is the reason for wanting to wait? If somebody offers me $50 million....I TAKE IT!!!! Divorce or not.
Yeah, but you wouldn't be divorcing ANNA KOURNIKOVA. :p

Absolut is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 02:08 AM
  #36
stu the grim reaper
Registered User
 
stu the grim reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
I have a question for the unbiased Red Wing fans on Fedorov, why was he labeled a whiner,cancer,complainer etc by the fans? i've heard claims he has no leadership skills yet all of his teammates look to him for advice(particularly the young guys) he's been labeled as selfish yet everything he talks about is the team. So i'm just wondering as to why he got labeled like that.

.
hes just aloof. i feel like he gets very focused on his own performance. youve probably heard how down hes been on himself in anaheim so far.

and he doesnt get riled up during games, so he doesnt ever appear, to the casual fan, to be rousing or even sticking up for his teammates

stu the grim reaper is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 08:10 AM
  #37
ArtG
Registered User
 
ArtG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
If somebody offers me $50 million....I TAKE IT!!!! Divorce or not.
Weak argument..

ArtG is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 09:43 AM
  #38
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Weak argument..
Yes, it was a very weak argument from Fedorov. He came right out in an interview on CBC and said if not for his divorce, he would still be in Detroit.

If that was the ONLY reason? That is weak.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 02:11 PM
  #39
ArtG
Registered User
 
ArtG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Yes, it was a very weak argument from Fedorov. He came right out in an interview on CBC and said if not for his divorce, he would still be in Detroit.

If that was the ONLY reason? That is weak.
no, the thing is, Fedorov can make $50 mill other places... not just detroit... as for you, you'd take $20 to play 5 years for the wings.. that's why it's a weak argument..

ArtG is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 02:15 PM
  #40
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
no, the thing is, Fedorov can make $50 mill other places...
no he couldnt.. and he didnt.

nobdy was going to offer him that. and in the end they didnt. He came BACK to detroit and send in a 6 year deal which in the end was worth 12 mil a season. When Detroit said no, he took Anahiems deal. Which is, in the end, 8 mila year

X8oD is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:46 AM
  #41
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
No. What's laughable is that you didn't notice that fact. Datsyuk is one of the weaker players in this league. With the kind of talent he has, he'd be one of the top 5 most dominant players in the league if not for the physical aspect.


Thats funny Vlad, the same thing can be said for Fedorov. He has the talent to be a top 5 player, but isn't. Not because of weakness but because of heart. The old saying about Fedorov was, watch the first 10 minutes of the game to see which guy shows up. The dominate player or the guy who was taking a night off.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:52 AM
  #42
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 36,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Thats funny Vlad, the same thing can be said for Fedorov. He has the talent to be a top 5 player, but isn't. Not because of weakness but because of heart. The old saying about Fedorov was, watch the first 10 minutes of the game to see which guy shows up. The dominate player or the guy who was taking a night off.
He's a top 5 player at the time of year when 4 losses eliminates you, and that's the most important thing. I was often glad that Fedorov didn't try and go full throttle for the entire regular season because he was always fresh and ready to roll in the spring.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 03:23 AM
  #43
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Brian (Anaheim CA): Hi Sergei, I was wondering if you could comment on your fellow Russian teammate, Stan Chistov. Why has he struggled this year, it seems to me that he is reluctant to shoot the puck. Did you have any similar problems when you were breaking into the league?
Quote:
Sergei Fedorov : I didn't have similar problems because I came as a complete player with full seasons behind me with the Red Army and World Championships, including the World Juniors. I had a top end career before coming to the NHL. I think Stan has struggled because it's not easy to bounce back after such success like last season. It's a short offseason from Game 7 of the Finals. It's not easy to do mentally.
Hmm so is Siberian, Fedorov's screen name here at HF? Or is Siberian just right?

Legionnaire is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.