HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Edler signs four-year contract extention $13million or 3.25 per year

Old
10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
DreamCatcher*

vCash: 500
This is a Ken Holland type of deal, absolutely love it.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

I could not be happier with this deal. Edler is already a top four defenseman and looks to only get better. Edler is exactly the sort of defenseman we want on our blueline and is a force in the defensive and offensive zone. To lock him up for four years at a reasonable price just thrills me.

You know I've been happy with Gillis from day one, but as time moves along I'm becoming convinced that he is the perfect man to be GM for this team and that he's going to lead this team to the promise land. Virtually all of his moves so far have been kick ass and he's taken a mediocre ****** organization and is turning it into top notch franchise.

It is really awesome to be a Canucks fan right now.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Impossibles

I suppose its better than signing the Jeff Fingers of the NHL.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
watchman

Great news !

Interesting to see all the love being given to Gillis & Edler for this transaction based on future expectations (tho' there is no indication that Edler won't live up to them).

The cap era NHL certainly has drawn attention to a new way of doing business with respect to distribution of wealth through the line-up and identifying levels of role players.

watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
I could not be happier with this deal. Edler is already a top four defenseman and looks to only get better. Edler is exactly the sort of defenseman we want on our blueline and is a force in the defensive and offensive zone. To lock him up for four years at a reasonable price just thrills me.

You know I've been happy with Gillis from day one, but as time moves along I'm becoming convinced that he is the perfect man to be GM for this team and that he's going to lead this team to the promise land. Virtually all of his moves so far have been kick ass and he's taken a mediocre ****** organization and is turning it into top notch franchise.

There was an article a couple days ago where Gillis was quoted as saying that he wants this team to be top 10% in everything they do, whether it's scouting, player development, or whatever. Obviously it remains to be seen whether he is able to take the team to the next level, but it's the right frame of mind to be in and he seems to be on the right track.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Kmaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post

I was dissapointed when Nonis was fired. He did a good job of revamping this team and reorganizing the drafting/development areas, but seemingly was a little complacent.
I wasn't sure about Gillis (a new thing, no xp.) but he has done an outstanding job so far. He has taken what Nonis has done then tweeked and upgraded it. He is a great part of the natural evolution going on within this club to make it competitive for the long haul.

Oh, and FRIKKEN RIGHT!!! My Edler jersey will have some more time to remain in style!

Kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonShaReeFruck View Post
Can't throw someone like Sundin anywhere near 20 million anymore.
Which is a good thing.

Canucks can afford spending $10 million on an inflated offer this season without too much trouble; but next season - it will be alot harder to accomodate and re-sign everybody that needs to be re-signed.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
what? most of the reports said 3 mil per....now 3.25?
thats kinda odd.

Anyhow, great deal. Tough to give him 4 years tho....but if he plays like Ohlund....we'll love him...he'll love us....and will re-sign before he hits UFA.
What do you mean it's tough to give him 4 years? The longer the term the better with these types of deals, as Edler's value will only escalate. I would sign him to a 8 year 26 million dollar deal if I could.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Which is a good thing.

Canucks can afford spending $10 million on an inflated offer this season without too much trouble; but next season - it will be alot harder to accomodate and re-sign everybody that needs to be re-signed.
Yeah, my guess is that when the $20 million dollar offer was put out, they were planning on bringing in a complementary offensive player on a one year deal. But Sundin made it clear he only wanted one year, and with Demitra signed through next season, it's next to impossible to get everyone under the cap (especially with Bernier due for a raise as well).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Which is a good thing.

Yeah, signing Sundin, Gaborik, or any other high ticket player would be incredibly difficult to do for any longer than 1 season at this point with the Sedin's needing new contracts at the end of the year.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Oh man, by the end of this deal this will be one of the biggest steals in the NHL, especially if the cap continues to rise.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Tripwyre

I go to bed last night thinking Edler played his best game in a long, long time (who didn't though) and wake up to hear he's ours for another four years at least. That's a great contract, and good on Gillis for getting it done now before Edler has the leverage of this year's numbers.

Next up: Burrows needs to be locked up long-term ASAP.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
topched88

Edler's play is worthy of that much money already, cant wait to see how big of a steal it could turn out to be.

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
DeveinedPgBc

i want the twins signed before burrows.priorities people, priorities.

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

This is the perfect time to get all these deals done. Prior to anyone really 'breaking out' further, you have this apparent new commitment to winning, exciting hockey, Luongo - should not be a problem locking all these guys up here.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Cody Hodgson

i was waiting for this deal and i'm really glad we locked up one of our young potential star player.

Cody Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

This is a good price, especially since I think his offensive output is going to skyrocket (relatively speaking) in the next season or two.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterchild420 View Post
i want the twins signed before burrows.priorities people, priorities.
Signing Burrows now saves you a lot more money than signing the Sedins now -- I really don't see the twins demands changing much at all between now and June. Though obviously the Sedins are more important.

Old
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Shareefruck

I remember when we used to have a bunch of guys around here complaining about Burrows' three year, 500k contract.

What the hell was THAT all about??

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luongo2008*

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Core

Ok, Gillis, now resign the Sedins to 6million each on a four year deal and Burrows to 6 million 3 year deal.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonShaReeFruck View Post
I remember when we used to have a bunch of guys around here complaining about Burrows' three year, 500k contract.

What the hell was THAT all about??
By the way I would like to take credit for his second goal, about 15 seconds before he scored I yelled "Alex Burrows I want to have your babies!"

Off the top of my head I'd say 1.5-2mil per year is good for him.

Can anyone think of comparable players? I'd think a poor man's Kesler.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Brilliant. Gillis is a genius. **** Nonis.

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
Can anyone think of comparable players? I'd think a poor man's Kesler.
Steve Ott with hands.

Old
10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I think a good comparable for Burrows is vintage Matt Cooke. We used to kinda hint at this, but it's looking like he actually will have at least that upside. I'd say you grab Burrows on 3 years at $1.75 million per year or something similar. Nobody has earned that money more.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote