HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs lose season opener in Buffalo 2-1 in the SO.

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2008, 12:08 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I agree, Markov wasn't at his best yesterday. Actually, our only D-man who didn't seem rusty yesterday was Hamrlik...great game defensively by the Hammer.

Offensively, gotta agree with most people and say that I was impressed by Lang. If he keeps up this level of play, plan B will seem more like plan A- :p

Never thought I would hear (or read, rather) myself say this: I can't wait until Bouillon gets back to the lineup (for obvious reasons).

Not sure if Tanguay/Koivu will ever be a good duo...both need to play with natural scorers. I know everybody loves the KPK line, but Kostitsyn barely got any touches last night...we need to Free Kostitsyn. This guy is ready to break out and carry a line (ideally as a RW).

To me, Tanguay/Plekanec/Kovalev and Higgins/Koivu/A.Kostitsyn makes so much more sense...Tanguay plays his natural wing and has two good scorers to play with...A.Kost plays his natural wing, and Koivu has two good scorers to play with...
I thought Markov was the best player on the ice for both teams????

Old
10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Vanek, Lang and Price had a better game than Markov who seemed sloppy some times.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
One thing I don't understand about this board is that if the Habs don't spend 80% of their time in the offensive zone, especially on the road, then it was a bad game, win or lose.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
I like Tanguay but god he was awful tonight and that was pretty much the only good play he made tonight
He wasn't bad at all, his defensive game was good, he just had trouble finding his rhythm offensively. I saw a lot of good things overall. Lets remember that pretty much every team that's played in the last few games had their timing off. If this was a mid-season game I'd say he looked bad. As it is he looked decent.

On another note, I really liked the Lang/Kovalev combination in the PK and overtime. Those two will be huge assets over the season.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Tanguay - Lang - S. Kostitsyn
Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Koivu knows Latendresse and Higgins, and I don't want to break the chemestry between Lang and S. Kostitsyn. They're doing great together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
when Higgins come back the lines should be :

A.Kosty-Pleky-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse
Tanguay-Lang-S.Kosty
Laraque/Begin/Lapierre-Chipchura-Kosto
Seriously, I prefer Lang over Koivu as 2nd line center. SK and Lang were absolute dynamite out there. I knew Sergei was good, but he was DOMINATING. Such a smart player, remember that pass he made to Obie?

A 3rd line of Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse seems natural. All these players really have something to prove (all FAs at the end of the season).

Begin, Brisebois and Dandenault. Arghhhh. What the hell are they doing in the line-up? Dandenault was the better of the three in this game.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
CPrice

Lang looked great out there, Kovy wasn't too bad but nothing special. The plays seemed a little sloppy, but I think the ice was partly at fault. On the Sabres goal it looked like there was a bit of confusion as Komi went to touch the puck they were doing a line change and he seemed a little hesitant, not really his fault. Price looked great and he seemed to try his best in the shootout but shots like that are very hard to save. Miller also looked fairly good in the shootout but it didn't seem like he was faced with a hard time either as Lang's attempt was mediocre and Koivu couldnt control the puck. One major improvement that needs to be made ASAP is the amount of penalties, I know its the first game but Begins play is completely unacceptable as he is given limited ice time and needs to show his worth. We were lucky to come out of that 4 minute PP unscathed. Heres to a win tonight.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:59 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Yeah and his french is real bad too eh ? Get over 1 game will ya.
Hell what's the f-ing link there?! He has been average at best for one year now. Nobody on his line has been playing good, and that, in the last year or so.

I like Koivu as much as every Habs fan, but his role has to be decreased a lot in the regular season.

People tend to forget that Lang has had similar stats with Saku in the last few years. If it keeps on being like yesterday, sorry, but Lang must play more minutes than Saku.

What frustrated me the most yesterday may be seeing him play and juggle with the puck after missing his shootout attempt... I'm probably wrong, but he didn't seem like a guy who gave a damn about the issue of this game.

That being said, a lot of players were average at best. But when Saku plays a bad game, he's a player like every other single one. Stop overreacting. The guy didn't suggest to trade him out of town. He stated that he played a bad game and that his play has become worst and worst in the last year or so... and he's right.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I'm probably wrong
Spectacularly wrong actually.

And Koivu was not nearly as bad as people say he was. The only reason he's a target is because he wears the C and used to be a very up tempo player. He's a veteran now, with a big history of injuries, he plays more of a cerebral game and when he misses training camp it takes him longer to get in shape. He was talking about it not too long ago.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Hell what's the f-ing link there?! He has been average at best for one year now. Nobody on his line has been playing good, and that, in the last year or so.

I like Koivu as much as every Habs fan, but his role has to be decreased a lot in the regular season.

People tend to forget that Lang has had similar stats with Saku in the last few years. If it keeps on being like yesterday, sorry, but Lang must play more minutes than Saku.

What frustrated me the most yesterday may be seeing him play and juggle with the puck after missing his shootout attempt... I'm probably wrong, but he didn't seem like a guy who gave a damn about the issue of this game.

That being said, a lot of players were average at best. But when Saku plays a bad game, he's a player like every other single one. Stop overreacting. The guy didn't suggest to trade him out of town. He stated that he played a bad game and that his play has become worst and worst in the last year or so... and he's right.
Yeah, hes definately not the dominate player he used to be but he stills brings a lot to the team. I think his role is diminishing and Lang looked pretty good out there. I could see Lang taking over his spot on teh second line as Lang just seems to have lots of chances and is able to create room for himself. This is the first game however and Koivu has had a tough time with his ankle.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Spectacularly wrong actually.

And Koivu was not nearly as bad as people say he was. The only reason he's a target is because he wears the C and used to be a very up tempo player. He's a veteran now, with a big history of injuries, he plays more of a cerebral game and when he misses training camp it takes him longer to get in shape. He was talking about it not too long ago.
Yeah... I agree with you 100% there. But it remains that he can't play a major role consistently anymore...

Old
10-11-2008, 01:19 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Hate to say it, but Miller was the best player on both teams.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Yeah... I agree with you 100% there. But it remains that he can't play a major role consistently anymore...
Same for Lang...

was great yesterday, but don't expect 37 years old Lang to play like that 82 games this season... there will be games where Koivu will look like Crosby compared to Lang...

that's the kind of things that happen to older players, and even though Koivu's younger, injuries and cancer made him an older player "sooner" than most...

Old
10-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Hate to say it, but Miller was the best player on both teams.
he wasnt tested enough.

i am not deceived by our first game.. clearly our lines have little chemistry (other the ATK line....) i was impressed on how Lang raised his level for game one.. but i also thought we really lack tough boys out there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Same for Lang...

was great yesterday, but don't expect 37 years old Lang to play like that 82 games this season... there will be games where Koivu will look like Crosby compared to Lang...

that's the kind of things that happen to older players, and even though Koivu's younger, injuries and cancer made him an older player "sooner" than most...
the question remains, will Lang will look like Crosby compared to Koivu more often then the other?

Lang is way smarter than Koivu on the ice, the difference is the clutch and effort..Koivu clutch is still consistent.. but effort is less and less evident.

If Lang can remain focus, he will be as important as Hamrlik to stabilise our team last year.

Last edited by Crusher20: 10-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old
10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Yeah, hes definately not the dominate player he used to be but he stills brings a lot to the team. I think his role is diminishing and Lang looked pretty good out there. I could see Lang taking over his spot on teh second line as Lang just seems to have lots of chances and is able to create room for himself. This is the first game however and Koivu has had a tough time with his ankle.
This is a very fair assessment to Koivu now...although I am of the sincere assessment that Koivu is still potentially a 70+ point player with good linemates. Last Season its true that he did not do as well as the previous...but Neither did his linemates, Higgins, Ryder, Lats all had mediocre seasons in terms of point production and these players flanked Koivu through most of his time. Koivu makes plays...he's a PLAY MAKER.....but if the finishers don't do their job then he doesn't get the credit for all the "chances" he creates with his hockey sense.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:42 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
he wasnt tested enough.

i am not deceived by our first game.. clearly our lines have little chemistry (other the ATK line....) i was impressed on how Lang raised his level for game one.. but i also thought we really lack tough boys out there..

the question remains, will Lang will look like Crosby compared to Koivu more often then the other?

Lang is way smarter than Koivu on the ice, the difference is the clutch and effort..Koivu clutch is still consistent.. but effort is less and less evident.

If Lang can remain focus, he will be as important as Hamrlik to stabilise our team last year.
One has great chemistry with S. Kostystin already while the other have NONE with Tanguay... so yeah! if Guy keeps the same lines he'll definitely look better than Koivu more often than not.

Old
10-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
One has great chemistry with S. Kostystin already while the other have NONE with Tanguay... so yeah! if Guy keeps the same lines he'll definitely look better than Koivu more often than not.
well I know tanguay and koivu arent a good fit.... but hey, Guy made is decision.. I was suprise to see how often Tanguay pass when he could have a premium shot.. see the pass to markov who pass it back to.. dont remember who.. pretty much in the slot..

Tanguay is exactly what ryder was.. but in passing instead of shooting.

we should have kept him and made him play with Tanguay..

Old
10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Now that Cole is in the West, Vanek is the new Hab Killer.

Old
10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
jcpenny

What is with the crap talk on Koivu? He only played 2 pre-season games and he was injured. Can we please give him time to get his rythym back and couple games under his belt please? Its only one game. Some people have already forgot how he was our best player in the playoffs last year when he came back. Just looking at his playoff stats is enough for me to say that we need him.

Same goes for Tanguay; new team, new philosophy, new style, new teammates and new linemates. Wait till this guy gets confortable, he be great for this team.

I also read many negative comments on OByrne and I cant understand that. He was very good in his zone especially one on one where no Sabre couldnt get pass him, he almost scored a goal in the 1st on a great feed (forgot who it was) and a great pinch on his part and what about that awsome play on that 3 on 1 play where he broke off what look like a sure goal with his 6'5 frame and long reach. Sure his passing game isnt there yet but this team needs him. He will only get better...

Old
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Aw man, I really missed this board during the season.

Lang has one good game after a very average preseason and already he's annointed our 2nd line C going into the future. I can't wait until we're ready to make him 1st line C, and captain! Or even better, in 2 weeks when he has a bad game and people are calling for him to go on waivers.

I love it. I seriously love it.

Old
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Lang has one good game after a very average preseason and already he's annointed our 2nd line C going into the future. I can't wait until we're ready to make him 1st line C, and captain! Or even better, in 2 weeks when he has a bad game and people are calling for him to go on waivers.

Yeah...it would be preposterous to think that a significant sample of games would be required to make a proper assessment

Old
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I'm not ready to make Lang our #1 C, I said if it keeps on going this way, this is a no-brainer that Lang must play with the better players.

Nothing against Koivu guys, as I think he can play a great role on this team, but in the last few years, he's been the Habs whose game has regressed the most... And sorry, but he can't play 20 minutes anymore.

Plus the fact that I think Tanguay would look better with Lang than with Koivu, as Lang has one heck of a wrister. Sergei brings some energy that Koivu can't bring anymore to this team.

Stop saying all we're saying is complete crap... Koivu used to consistently be on the puck before. Now he looks like he can't follow the pace of the game every shift. And it's not going to improve anytime soon.

I don't want to trade him away for a bag of pucks, but he's just not the same player anymore. Since 1 year or so, it's become more and more obvious - to me at the very least - .

Old
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Wave Begin and Dandy and replace them with Patches and Weber and you got a better team right away. I don't get it, Higgins is out and Carbo plays Kosto on the offencive 3rd line instead of playing patches who has been on fire for the training camp. Also, don't play Brisebois that much, Carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

I love your irony and your sarcasms. I missed that during the summer ! You are right, it's one game.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-11-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old
10-11-2008, 03:14 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I'm not ready to make Lang our #1 C, I said if it keeps on going this way, this is a no-brainer that Lang must play with the better players.

Nothing against Koivu guys, as I think he can play a great role on this team, but in the last few years, he's been the Habs whose game has regressed the most... And sorry, but he can't play 20 minutes anymore.

Plus the fact that I think Tanguay would look better with Lang than with Koivu, as Lang has one heck of a wrister. Sergei brings some energy that Koivu can't bring anymore to this team.

Stop saying all we're saying is complete crap... Koivu used to consistently be on the puck before. Now he looks like he can't follow the pace of the game every shift. And it's not going to improve anytime soon.

I don't want to trade him away for a bag of pucks, but he's just not the same player anymore. Since 1 year or so, it's become more and more obvious - to me at the very least - .
I agree with you. But let's give him a chance. He might still be hurt and he had just a couple of pre season games. Just too bad he is not in his playoffs mode all the time. He is really great in post season games.

I hope too that he will cut on his useless penalties. the guy had over 90 minutes of penalty last year, more than many goons and other energy tough guys around the league.

He is the captain. He should show the good example.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I love your irony and your sarcasms. I missed that during the summer ! You are right, it's one game.
Yep it,s one game, and Lang was present every seconds of it, now we have to wait and see if the "slumps" we've been told about, by Chicago and Detroit fans, will happen.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:17 PM
jcpenny

Quote:

All i have to say is that you are overreacting after one game where Koivu is just getting his legs back. Dont make assumptions like; «he cant do it anymore» after one game. He barely played in pre-season and barely practiced. Koivu can still play and be a go to guy in this team. Oh and yes he can still log a lot of minutes, he proved it not so long ago in the playoffs.

Closed Thread