HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anton Stralman

Old
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
chef223

vCash: 500
Anton Stralman

I'm not saying that Stralman is going to be moved or is on the block by any means, but seeing as how the Leafs have 9 defensmen signed and Finger will be back in the lineup, what would the value of Anton be to another team? This kid is gifted offensively and has all the tools to be a Brian Rafalski type .

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

LeTang + future considerations

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Can't see why they'd be shopping him. I've heard Frogren has just been brutal all preseason, probably the worst of their blueliners. But he's an unproven commodity and isn't worth much at all.

Toronto's best bargaining chip remains to be Kaberle; Stralman might get them a mid-round pick, maybe a depth forward.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
The Big Swede

There's no point in trading Stralman right now because he doesn't have much value except his potential which remains to be seen

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Laoghaire

Schubert and a HJ.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
KesseltoLupul

Absolutely no reason to trade Stralman. He is one of those guys that no one except leaf fans know about and his potential is through the roof. no reason to trade him for scraps.

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Absolutely no reason to trade Stralman. He is one of those guys that no one except leaf fans know about and his potential is through the roof. no reason to trade him for scraps.
....It is?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
....It is?
He's pretty good man. He reminds of a lot of Kaberle when he was his age.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:05 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
....It is?
He's a bit exaggerating

Hell be similar to Kaberle IMO but less good defensively but better offensively

Old
10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
He's a bit exaggerating

Well Stralman has some work to do if he's gonna be better offensively than Kaberle. Tomas racks up a lot of points.....

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:16 PM
alienanton*

stralman is going nowhere.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
I'm not saying that Stralman is going to be moved or is on the block by any means, but seeing as how the Leafs have 9 defensmen signed and Finger will be back in the lineup, what would the value of Anton be to another team? This kid is gifted offensively and has all the tools to be a Brian Rafalski type .
What evidence is there that Stralman is "gifted offensively?" He managed 3 goals for Toronto last year in about 50 games, and 0 goals in 20 games in the AHL. That doens't sound like the kind of production of a young Brian Rafalski.

Note that I'm not saying that Stralman WON'T reach that level. At this early stage, it is hard to say what will happen. But, I doubt that any GM would make an offer for him thinking they are getting a potential 40 point dman.

To me, Stralman looks a lot like Bruno Gervais on the Isles. Has got some tools, but seems kind of small and it is not clear if he is going to put it together offensively.

Good guy for the Leafs to keep. He certainly could still develop and turn into something nice but probably doesn't have much market value at this point in time.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
He's a bit exaggerating

Kaberle is one of the most effective offensive dmen of his generation. There are only a handful of dmen I'd rather have out there in an offensive situation, in fact. What exactly has Stralman shown that would put him anywhere near that level let alone at a higher level?

Old
10-09-2008, 04:54 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well Stralman has some work to do if he's gonna be better offensively than Kaberle. Tomas racks up a lot of points.....
Yes I'm aware of that

But Stralman is ahead of Kaberle at his age

Old
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I dont see Stralman moving, hes our direct replacement of Kaberle when Tomas leaves in a trade.

Not that he will be better or worse, but Im not too worried about offensive defensemen on this team

LOVE his trademark wristshot from the point

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Yes I'm aware of that

I don't see how you can make that argument. But the time he was a sophmore, Kaberle was already scoring 40 points a year. If Stralman even flirts with that level of production this year, I'll be very surprised.

And, Stralman is certainly no more effective defensively than Kaberle was back then.

I really don't see how anybody can Stralman to this lofty heights based on a rookie season that was OK, but nothing special.

Old
10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Yes I'm aware of that

Why exactly?

Kaberle started in the NHL at age 20, and had 4 goals and 18 assists in his rookie season in 57 games. The next year, at ages 21-22, he put up 7 goals and 33 assists for 40 points in 82 games. At ages 21-22, Stralman played his first NHL season and in 50 games, had 3 goals and 6 assists for 9 points.

Don't tell me he's ahead of Tomas because of his strong defensive zone coverage.

Stralman may be underrated by many around the league, but he's also quite overrated by fans in Toronto. As of right now, he's a solid prospect with not much trade value. Toronto could hope to get a similar prospect back for me if they wanted to move him, and nothing more or less.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Please

Quote:
Can't see why they'd be shopping him. I've heard Frogren has just been brutal all preseason, probably the worst of their blueliners. But he's an unproven commodity and isn't worth much at all.

Toronto's best bargaining chip remains to be Kaberle; Stralman might get them a mid-round pick, maybe a depth forward.
haha i bet hed fetch alot more than that....if we traded him for a depth forward i think i would jump on a red wings bandwagon

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
CapeB

Zach Hamill

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
What evidence is there that Stralman is "gifted offensively?" He managed 3 goals for Toronto last year in about 50 games, and 0 goals in 20 games in the AHL. That doens't sound like the kind of production of a young Brian Rafalski.

Note that I'm not saying that Stralman WON'T reach that level. At this early stage, it is hard to say what will happen. But, I doubt that any GM would make an offer for him thinking they are getting a potential 40 point dman.

To me, Stralman looks a lot like Bruno Gervais on the Isles. Has got some tools, but seems kind of small and it is not clear if he is going to put it together offensively.

Good guy for the Leafs to keep. He certainly could still develop and turn into something nice but probably doesn't have much market value at this point in time.
He was an all star in the AHL for a reason even though he couldn't score a goal in the AHL. He managed 3 goals and 7 points in the WCs as well. Anyone who has seen him play knows the type of player he is. And his potential which is astronomical. Ya he only managed 3 goals and 9 points but in 50 games and in many of those games he was handed much less then 10 minutes of ice time and 2 20:00~ ice times. He will suprise alot of you in a couple of seasons.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He was an all star in the AHL for a reason even though he couldn't score a goal in the AHL. He managed 3 goals and 7 points in the WCs as well. Anyone who has seen him play knows the type of player he is. And his potential which is astronomical. Ya he only managed 3 goals and 9 points but in 50 games and in many of those games he was handed much less then 10 minutes of ice time and 2 20:00~ ice times. He will suprise alot of you in a couple of seasons.
I agree with what's being said here but "astronomical" is not the word I would use.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Being an all star in the AHL means exactly nothing. Lots of marginal prospects who never sniffed the NHL also managed to that distinction in the AHL or IHL.

Stralman is a talented young kid and showed some decent upside last season. But, saying he has "astronomical potential" that that he projects beyond Tomas Kaberle is just plain silly.

Stralman's likely top end is something along the lines of Chris Campoli. In other words, a decent offensive dman with some deficits (mostly related to size and physical play). He could become a good top four guy, but a #5 role is more likely.

Old
10-09-2008, 05:44 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Why exactly?

Kaberle started in the NHL at age 20, and had 4 goals and 18 assists in his rookie season in 57 games. The next year, at ages 21-22, he put up 7 goals and 33 assists for 40 points in 82 games. At ages 21-22, Stralman played his first NHL season and in 50 games, had 3 goals and 6 assists for 9 points.

Don't tell me he's ahead of Tomas because of his strong defensive zone coverage.

Stralman may be underrated by many around the league, but he's also quite overrated by fans in Toronto. As of right now, he's a solid prospect with not much trade value. Toronto could hope to get a similar prospect back for me if they wanted to move him, and nothing more or less.
If he was a Hab you guys would be hyping him up to no end. Tomas Kaberle was also used properly by Pat Quinn and in his systems. Infact, Tomas Kaberle's first NHL game he saw 20:00+ minutes of ice time in an OT game. Stralman only played ~33 minutes in his first 3 NHL games under Maurice. Maurice isn't a coach who is "good" with the young guys. Case in point is with Eric Staal. Actually Paul himself compared Stralman to a young Eric Staal (wtf?).

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
If he was a Hab you guys would be hyping him up to no end. Tomas Kaberle was also used properly by Pat Quinn and in his systems. ?).
And, if he were a Hab (or played for any other team than the Leafs), you'd be telling us that he is a soft smallish dman who hasn't shown a hint of high end offensive ability.

Nobody here is saying Stralman isn't a bright young talent. But, Kaberle is a legitimate top 10 guy in the NHL. I'm sorry - but Stralman hasn't shown a vague glimpse of that kind of high-end upside. Not even close.

You're not being the least bit objective here, my friend.

Old
10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Airborne Troll*

Stralman is one of the few bright spots in TO

He ain't going anywhere

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote