HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar Signs SEVEN YEAR, $47.6 million ($6.8MM/yr) Contract Extension!

Old
10-11-2008, 03:32 PM
wabwat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
OK, let me first say I got very lucky here. I really had no idea something was up.

Having said that, I do believe the events of the past week in the global economy did have an impact on this signing. If Kopitar goes out and has a 90 point season this year at age 21, he would be worth north of $8 million. So let me speculate on what may have happened.

I suspect Kopitar's agent was hoping for something on the 5 year, $7.5 mm to $8 mm range. That would preserve his client's UFA eligibility. Two things over the past months happened to make them come down. First was Lombardi's 'make my day' statement. This was a brilliant move designed not only to scare other clubs but to let agents know not to expect offer sheets for their clients. If you are a GM of another team and you see Los Angeles (the second largest city on the continent) sitting $16 mm below the salary cap, there is no way you are going to risk an offer sheet that can and would be matched and then have DL coming after your guys. The first win from this move was O'Sullivan who first thought he might get an offer sheet and then gambled on the fact the Kings needed to sign him to hit the cap floor. Once DL cleverly maneuvered to hit the floor without O'Sullivan, his agent no longer had any leverage. The POS deal was clearly a compromise, one that only time will tell who wins.

So, Kopitar's agent realizes that DL won't be bullied and then sees the stock market melting away. With the falling Canadian dollar, I bet every agent in the sport is terrified that the cap is going down since their business has thrived along with a rising ap over the past three years. At the same time, Kopitar, who has shown every indication of wanting to be here to see the rebuild through to fruition, likely told his agent "get something done". Thus, all the stars were aligned to make what I believe was a great deal for both sides.

Kopitar gets financial security and peace of mind. Even if he is hurt or never hits his full potential, his family is taken care of for life. He does not have to wake up at 6:30 every morning to watch CNBC like poor slobs like me cause he is getting a big paycheck. In exchange, he gives up 3 years of UFA status, and potentially $7.5 to $9 mm in total incremental income for those three years. But, that scenario is based on a stronger economy and him fully developing his potential, neither of which are sure things. The Kings get to lock up their #1 center and emerging face of the franchise for SEVEN seasons. This will make it easier to entice free agents, get other members of the core to sign attractive deals and give the marketing department someone to build around.

IMHO, this is a home run for all concerned, and DL deserves lots of credit for a 'game changing' move

and he did it with a goaltending situation that is still FAR from solvent.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
If you think Dustin Brown is mad because Anze Kopitar is going to be his linemate for the next 6 years, you're nuts.
And if you think Dustin Brown is happy because in 6 years he'll have $19 million while Anze Kopitar will have $41 million, you're even nutzer!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks View Post
And if you think Dustin Brown is happy because in 6 years he'll have $19 million while Anze Kopitar will have $41 million, you're even nutzer!
Why would he care? He's making his money, his family is doing great, you think he cares another guy is making more money than him? If he does, he's a horrible choice for a captain. Seems like you're the only one who really cares.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:42 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
getting that trophy will change one's perspective on money.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:44 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Why would he care? He's making his money, his family is doing great, you think he cares another guy is making more money than him? If he does, he's a horrible choice for a captain. Seems like you're the only one who really cares.
On top of that, you can't live any better on $48 million than you can on $19 mm unless one is a glutton. And when they pass from this earth, both are going to the same place no one asks how much money you have made. This is forgotten by too many people who would rather chase the next buck rather than hug their kids.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:45 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anze Kopitar
"This is really exciting and a little overwhelming to be honest. I am happy to be apart of this organization for the next eight years. I can focus now on hockey-only and on doing what I want to do, which is to bring the Stanley Cup to L.A. I am also excited to remain with a great group of players who have gotten the same commitment from our organization. We are looking forward to growing together and to building something special here."
Lets hope this really does push Kopitar to take it to the next level.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I'll be worried about that if JMFJ and Greene cost more than $6M combined. until then,
Ah, but don't forget about Purcell & Boyle. It's all four of these guys up for raises next summer, not just JMFJ & Greene.

..........and in 2 years, Frolov.

If Kopi had got a 5x5 deal....

1) those four guys get raises

2) J-Bo could have been signed

3) Frolov gets a raise (i.e., re-signed by the Kings) in 2 years

NOW, however, we can do 2/3 (at best), not 3/3.

And do not discount the volatile economy variable. Conceivably, the salary cap could actually fall next season to (worst-case scenario) $49 mil.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:48 PM
vbaron

Its good to see that the Kings are no longer the NHL farm team of conteders.

vbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
And let me save you some suspense and heartbreak: Boumeester ain't coming to the Kings as a UFA.
Care for a wager?

Old
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
On top of that, you can't live any better on $48 million than you can on $19 mm unless one is a glutton. And when they pass from this earth, both are going to the same place no one asks how much money you have made. This is forgotten by too many people who would rather chase the next buck rather than hug their kids.
90% of the CEOs at financial firms?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:53 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaron View Post
Its good to see that the Kings are no longer the NHL farm team of conteders.
Or the retirement home of legends.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Look at it this way: Over the next SIX YEARS, can all of us safely say that Anze Kopitar is/will be MORE THAN TWICE AS GOOD as Dustin Brown? Because if we cannot, then the deal is not fair to our Captain.
This is hindsight. What Brown signed for at the time was considered fair, he hadn't put up nearly the numbers Anze did when he signed. What if O'sullivan comes out and puts up 100 points this season? Does that mean his deal is no longer fair? It's just the way it worked out, and we should be glad we have Dustin locked up.

Quote:

Plenty?

.........Yes.

As much cap space as there could have been?

..........No.

What it means is we'll be able to offer J-Bo 7.25 per, not 8.15. And if this is the difference between J-Bo being a King next season or (for instance) a Canuck, then we lost next summer's free agency period today.
Well, the Kings are what, around $20 million under the cap? I can't imagine them going on a spending spree between now and next year that would make a difference in the amount they could offer J-Bo. Anze got a lot, but I'm glad we locked him up. This is also a good indication that AEG is willing to loosen up the strings for the core. If they keep it up, the Kings will be in very good shape.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
good news...................

no doubt Johnson want to be a part of that team and sign long term....

I never thought it will happen soon....

but the next years are the time where Ufa's knock on our door and ask for play.....

no overpaid retirements anymore.........

woooahhh

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What I know is this: Anze Kopitar is NOT more than twice as good as Dustin Brown.

Old
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Captain Ron

I think it was slightly higher than Kopitar was worth right now.....but it is probably a progressive contract that starts off somewhere at $4-$5 million and ends somewhere around $7-$8 million, so it is just about right for Anze. I am not upset at the contract at all.....in fact I hate Lombardi 50% less than I did 24 hours ago. He really impressed me on this one.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
What I know is this: Anze Kopitar is NOT more than twice as good as Dustin Brown.
Anze Kopitar today is twice as good today as Dustin Brown was this time last year, when he signed his contract.

Even if Kopitar was making 5 million, you could make the argument that he isn't 1.67 times as good as Brown. But timing is everything with contracts. Kopitar wouldn't have gotten 7 million last year, Brown would get more than 3 today. But in their actual times, they both signed sensible and fair contracts.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Well, the Kings are what, around $20 million under the cap?
This season (so far), approx. $12 million under.

Next season (worst-case economy), $10 million under or (best-case) approx. $17 million under (this is if the cap of 56.7 remains firm).

Old
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
He's scored 1 less point in 2 seasons than Brown has in 4. He's also a dominant center, which are a rarity. He gave up one more year of UFA than Brown did, which is worth quite a bit.

Brown is my favorite King by far, but he's not worth nearly as much as Anze. The demand for players of Kopitar's ilk is just very high, and it was reflected in his contract.

Old
10-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Pucknut50

Good for Kopi. His parents must be thrilled for their son. Nothing better in life then to see your kids succeed. And thanks Anze for signing here and trying to bring a cup to L.A.
Now time to get ready to cheer the King's and Boo Blake.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
This season (so far), approx. $12 million under.

Next season (worst-case economy), $10 million under or (best-case) approx. $17 million under (this is if the cap of 56.7 remains firm).
My bad, I thought they were deeper under. Still, even if they are at the worst case of $10K under, it won't hinder their attempts at going after J-Bo if they wish.

Old
10-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
My bad, I thought they were deeper under. Still, even if they are at the worst case of $10K under, it won't hinder their attempts at going after J-Bo if they wish.
It does if they any intention on keeping Frolov. He will be due about a $3 million raise in 2 years. If the Kings try to sign Bouwmeester for about $7 million there will be no room left for Frolov.

Old
10-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Actually, this just might screw things up a bit.....

Old
10-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Captain Ron

Jill Painter: "Was a long-term contract what you were looking for?"

Anze Kopitar: "I was thinking 5-6-7 years. It turned out to be seven years. It's good. When my deal is up, I'll still be 29. It's good that I got it done before the season so I can focus on hockey now and play the way I can and lead the team to a couple of victories for sure."

It looks like Kopitar believes the team will be in the Tavares/Hedman sweepstakes as well.

Old
10-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
Anze Kopitar today is twice as good today as Dustin Brown was this time last year, when he signed his contract.

Even if Kopitar was making 5 million, you could make the argument that he isn't 1.67 times as good as Brown. But timing is everything with contracts. Kopitar wouldn't have gotten 7 million last year, Brown would get more than 3 today. But in their actual times, they both signed sensible and fair contracts.
This concept appears to be strangely difficult for some to grasp.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Jill Painter: "Was a long-term contract what you were looking for?"

Anze Kopitar: "I was thinking 5-6-7 years. It turned out to be seven years. It's good. When my deal is up, I'll still be 29. It's good that I got it done before the season so I can focus on hockey now and play the way I can and lead the team to a couple of victories for sure."

It looks like Kopitar believes the team will be in the Tavares/Hedman sweepstakes as well.
Hopefully this year he won't put us out of the running.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote