HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Team by team look at needs and options. A-F

Old
10-11-2008, 11:19 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Team by team look at needs and options. A-F

Really guys. It's just the beginning of the season. It's great to see that there are tons of guy's who're passionate about the sport and want to see some trades go down. It's the beginning of the season and there isn't often much trades till around the Christmas freeze. There are a lot of teams out there who're in no position to make trades right now because they lack cap space or can't afford to give up anything significant because it would take away important elements from the team.

Anaheim Ducks 620k space
Need: Cap space to bring Bobby Ryan back up from the AHL.
Options: Bobby Ryan will make nearly 2 mill this season if he stays up in the NHL. The Ducks would need to clear a little over 1.3 million in cap space to be able to bring him back up. Todd Marchant, Rob Niedermayer and Samuel Pahlsson are guys with salaries cloest to that. I can't see other teams wanting to pick up Marchant's 2.5 million, and I can't see the Ducks being willing to move Niedermayer or Pahlsson, because they're incredibly valuable to their team. If a Duck forward gets injured they'll be able to bring Ryan up. The only things the Ducks have for trade are the things that are holding this team together. They can't afford to let go of one of their top 3 defensemen, their back-up goalie isn't worth a whole lot, Getzlaf, Selanne and Perry aren't tradable and it would be nuts to trade Kunitz because of the bang you get for your buck out of his 3.75mil cap hit.
Conclusion: Ducks aren't going to be making any trades any time soon.

Atlanta Thrashers: 10.8mill space
Needs: 1st line right winger
Options: None at the moment unless they're willing to give up valuable picks or quality prospects like Bryan Little or Ondrej Pavelec. Unless the Thrashers defy the odds big time this year I see them trading away Mathieu Schneider at the trade deadline. I don't see them giving away their future for a shot at the playoffs.
Conclusion: Thrashers aren't going to be making any trades any time soon.

Boston Bruins: 930k space
Needs: --- I hear people saying that the Bruins need a 2nd string puck moving defenseman, but I think that their defense is underrated. Anyhow. 2nd string offensive defenseman.
Options: Well the easiest thing to mention is Phil Kessel, because his name seems to how up almost as much as Staal's does. Andrew Ference might work in a package... but really Boston doesn't have a lot of cap space right now and they're not going to be able to afford to pick up someone effective enough for it to be worth it until later in the year when a large chunk of players salaries have been paid for. I mentioned that the Thrashers will likely trade Mathieu Schneider around the trade deadline. Boston would be a good destination. If the Bruins have the cap space at the end of the year he'd fit nicely. Wonder what the price would be.
Conclusion: Due to cap restrictions the Bruins aren't going to be making any trades any time soon.

Buffalo Sabres: 5.9 mill space.
Needs: Top 6 winger, tough stay-at home defenseman.
Options: Here we have a team which has a respectable amount of cap space, some players currently playing in the NHL who'd attract some interest(Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly and Ales Kotalik) and future NHL goalie Jhonas Enroth. Buffalo seemed to be a big underachievers with their two leaders gone to free agency last season. If things look horrible early on this could be one of the few teams in the East who'll go out and make a deal. They need a top 6 forward who's shown some consistency over the past few years. They're not going to roll the dice with an iffy prospect, but if the price is right they might roll the dice with another player who's been down on his luck.
Conclusion: If team plays at a level below expectations they're likely to make a trade to shake things up before the season has been thrown away.

Calgary Flames: 2.6 mill space
Needs: Possibly a goalie and a top 6 forward.
Options: Hey I'm not saying Kipper sucks, but his stats have dropped every year since the Flames lost in the Finals. I'm not saying it would make sense to trade him right now, but it might be prudent to go after a good quality back-up. I'm also not entirely sold on their 2nd line. What they're to do about it a huge mystery to me. Mikael Backlund, and Dustin Boyd are most likely the only prospects they've got who'd bring in much of a return. I could see them making a deal for a better 2nd string goalie if Miikka Kiprusoff gets caught up in the Captain Hook show too often to soften the workload.
Conclusion: Unless Miikka Kiprusoff turns into the next Nikolai Khabibulin(and I very much doubt that'll happen.) the Flames aren't likely to make a trade any time soon.

Carolina Hurricanes: 5 mill space
Needs: 2nd line right winger
Options: Brandon Sutter stands out, but the Hurricanes don't have much magic in the system to offer other teams right now. Frantisek Kaberle: might land a respectable return, but it would leave a gaping hole on the blueline.
Conclusion: If the Hurricanes right into a serious goal drought, they could make a deal with another team in the near future.

Chicago Blackhawks: 649k space
Needs: 2nd line center
Options: Not many. If they could manage to put another team on the hook for 1/2 of Khabibulin's salary they'd be in a better position to make a deal. They've got a handful of great looking prospects, but I'd be surprised if they traded them. Martin Havlat might bring in a lot, but they need him to stay healthy and score a bunch so that they can have a shot at making the playoffs this year.
Conclusion: Due to cap restrictions, the Hawks won't be making any deals any time soon.

Colorado Avalanche: 5.2 mill space
Needs: Starting goalie.
Options: Wojtek Wolski and often injured Jordan Leopold would likely interest other teams, but starting goalies don't exactly grow on trees these days.
Conclusion: If Colorado starts off horribly they could end up scrambling quickly to find a starting goalie to replace Budaj. It isn't likely that they'll be successful in that hunt, though.

Columbus Blue Jackets: 6.4 mill space
Needs: 1st line center and 1st pairing defenseman.
Options: Fredrik Modin and Christian Backman might interest some teams, but that's not nearly enough to land what they're looking for unless they're willing to give up one of their best prospects. Not likely, unless their GM intends on moving with that player to another team at the end of the year.
Conclusion: The Jackets won't be making any trades any time soon.

Dallas Stars: 4.4 mill space
Needs: Nothing. Zubov should be back next month and their team is good enough that they'll still be a shoe-in to make the playoffs even if they play well below .500 while he's out.
Conclusion: The Dallas stars won't be making any trades any time soon.

Detroit Red Wings: 451k space
Needs: Nothing. They're loaded with forwards and defensemen who know how to get the job done.
Conclusion: Due to lack of need and cap restrictions the Wings wont be making any trades any time soon.

Edmonton Oilers: 1.5 mill space
Needs: Tough as nails 2nd pairing defenseman.
Options: I don't think Edmonton is likely to throw away prospects in the system or the guys who made last season a pleasure to watch. Dwayne Roloson and Denis Grebeshkov are likely the two best roster players which Edmonton would be willing to part with right now. But considering the fact that Edmonton's blueline hasn't been as deep as it is now for over a decade I don't think they're likely to be in a rush to teak anything.
Conclusion: Unless someone comes for Roloson's contract that Edmonton Oilers aren't going to be making any trades any time soon.

Florida Panthers: 2.7 mill space
Needs: 1st line forward 1st pairing defenseman
Options: The Panthers have a few prospects which might look attractive to other teams with MacCabe out with a broken back I think that it secures the jobs of the rest of their defensemen till the trade deadline squeaks around. When it does hit, they could end up landing a very respectable return for forward Richard Zednik and defensemen Jay Bouwmeester and Nick Boynton.
Conclusion: Florida isn't likely to make any deals in the near future.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Interesting idea, and good on you for taking the time to look into it
but I think it pretty much is summed up as

"No one is making any trades soon"

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Fenris

Nice read, thanks.

Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Buffalo's needs are off.

We have too many top 6 wingers: Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Paille (this kid got 19 goals last season and was an absolute beast yesterday, he deserves top 6 minutes), Kotalik, and Afinogenov. Plus Hecht can play wing although he's currently tabbed as a center. As far as tough stay-at-home D-men, that is something we could use, but Weber should get a lengthy call-up this season, which will fill that role (so if we were to acquire a stay-at-home guy, someone from our current top 6 would have to go).

What we need is a 2nd line center. Gaustad out and Connolly sure to miss so many games anyways really hurts our center depth, and the center depth on the farm isn't that great either. That should be our most pressing need, and trading one of our excess wingers to get a center makes sense for us.

And Enroth is going nowhere, because he's the only decent goalie we have signed for Portland, and Eno/Eidsness are a few years away from knowing if they'll cut it at the next level (although both looks promising).

Another need is depth for the farm: Regier did a lot of good things this offseason, but he left the Pirates without much depth should injuries occur. We could really, really use another AHL defender, and possibly another AHL forward too.

Also the team has an internal cap, and right now they're probably a little over their target salary (50M is the number that I've seen thrown around).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM
All_blueandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Buffalo's needs are off.

We have too many top 6 wingers: Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Paille (this kid got 19 goals last season and was an absolute beast yesterday, he deserves top 6 minutes), Kotalik, and Afinogenov. Plus Hecht can play wing although he's currently tabbed as a center. As far as tough stay-at-home D-men, that is something we could use, but Weber should get a lengthy call-up this season, which will fill that role (so if we were to acquire a stay-at-home guy, someone from our current top 6 would have to go).

What we need is a 2nd line center. Gaustad out and Connolly sure to miss so many games anyways really hurts our center depth, and the center depth on the farm isn't that great either. That should be our most pressing need, and trading one of our excess wingers to get a center makes sense for us.

And Enroth is going nowhere, because he's the only decent goalie we have signed for Portland, and Eno/Eidsness are a few years away from knowing if they'll cut it at the next level (although both looks promising).

Another need is depth for the farm: Regier did a lot of good things this offseason, but he left the Pirates without much depth should injuries occur. We could really, really use another AHL defender, and possibly another AHL forward too.

Also the team has an internal cap, and right now they're probably a little over their target salary (50M is the number that I've seen thrown around).
how about antropov as your 2nd line center and white as your ahl defender/call up

and for Colorado, a deal centered around Toskala and wolski would address everyone's needs.

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:48 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post
how about antropov as your 2nd line center and white as your ahl defender/call up

and for Colorado, a deal centered around Toskala and wolski would address everyone's needs.
Deal 1 - Sabres and Leafs aren't going to be making a deal. Not worth discussing it.

Deal 2 - You think Toskala can bring back Wolski? What else is being shipped with Toskala?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:54 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
It's AHL players you need eh? Have your GM give Gillis a call. We've got plenty I'm sure he'd trade for some mid-round picks.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Dr Quincy

Tim Thomas, Andrew Alberts and Martin Karsums

Peter Budaj, Jordan Leopold

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Florida can call up Ellerby if they have to call someone up. They're likely going to sign Cullimore and dress Welch.

10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Deal 1 - Sabres and Leafs aren't going to be making a deal. Not worth discussing it.

Deal 2 - You think Toskala can bring back Wolski? What else is being shipped with Toskala?
A salary dump to Colorado

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

If Manny Fernandez starts off strong, he can be Huet-ed (KPD's term for it) to Colorado...the Bruins would love to get his salary off the books and get a decent draft pick for him...

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 05:31 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Dallas Stars: 4.4 mill space
Needs: Nothing. Zubov should be back next month and their team is good enough that they'll still be a shoe-in to make the playoffs even if they play well below .500 while he's out.
Conclusion: The Dallas stars won't be making any trades any time soon.
The only reason Dallas has $4.4 million in cap space is because Zubov is on LTIR. When he is healthy, should be around the 1st of November, his $5.35 million salary will push Dallas over the cap.

They'll save some money when either Mark Fistric is assigned to the AHL or Doug Janik is waived, and hopefully clears waivers this time, and assigned to the AHL. Janik would save Dallas almost $300,000 as their 7th defenseman.

Dallas is currently carrying 14 forwards, but they could go with 13. Right now, Dallas seems intent on keeping Fabian Brunnstrom and James Neal in the NHL. Even with only 13 forwards, Dallas would be over the cap with those 2 rookies in the lineup. Therefore, a trade could happen to allow Dallas to keep them both in the mix.

Potential candidates:

Steve Ott: Dallas just signed him to a 2 year deal, and he has really stepped up as a leader. He’s one of our better faceoff guys and a prime candidate to replace Modano on the checking line when he retires. Plus, he is a fan favorite. I’d be shocked if he was traded, but it would fix all cap problems.

Joel Lundqvist: He is a good utility player that has show chemistry with Richards and Eriksson. He is defensively responsible and willing to play the body. While he could be replaced with Brunnstrom, he has a small cap hit. If they move him, it may not be enough to fix the cap problems.

Trevor Daley: He’s a good, young defenseman, and has shown quite a bit of improvement. The team rewarded him with a 3 year contract and seems committed to him. Like Ott, I’d be shocked if he was traded, but it would fix all cap problems.

Philippe Boucher: He has major injury concerns, and his trade value couldn’t be any lower. Despite missing most of last year, in 2006-07 he did score 19 goals. Hopefully, while Zubov is out, he can prove to other teams that he is healthy and can still play at a high caliber. If he was moved, Dallas would have no cap issues.

Dallas’ needs:

Right shot forward: Dave Tippett and Mike Ribeiro have both talked about needing a right shot forward on the PP. Right now, Dallas’ only candidate for that position is Jere Lehtinen, but he is currently injured. While this is a minor injury, he could return next week, I don’t think anyone can confidently say he can stay healthy. Also, Dallas does not have a right handed center for faceoffs. I wouldn’t call this a major concern, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was addressed.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:

Are you suggesting that Toskala is worth less than Wolski? I beg to differ. Colorado is the team who'd have to throw in the kicker.

Old
10-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
I think the Flames need a second line winger more than another goalie to be honest. I just don't have that much faith in Bourque.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:51 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Tim Thomas, Andrew Alberts and Martin Karsums

Peter Budaj, Jordan Leopold
That only works if Boston has given up on Thomas.

Old
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Anaheim Ducks 620k space
Need: Cap space to bring Bobby Ryan back up from the AHL.
Options: Bobby Ryan will make nearly 2 mill this season if he stays up in the NHL. The Ducks would need to clear a little over 1.3 million in cap space to be able to bring him back up. Todd Marchant, Rob Niedermayer and Samuel Pahlsson are guys with salaries cloest to that. I can't see other teams wanting to pick up Marchant's 2.5 million, and I can't see the Ducks being willing to move Niedermayer or Pahlsson, because they're incredibly valuable to their team. If a Duck forward gets injured they'll be able to bring Ryan up. The only things the Ducks have for trade are the things that are holding this team together. They can't afford to let go of one of their top 3 defensemen, their back-up goalie isn't worth a whole lot, Getzlaf, Selanne and Perry aren't tradable and it would be nuts to trade Kunitz because of the bang you get for your buck out of his 3.75mil cap hit.
Conclusion: Ducks aren't going to be making any trades any time soon.
Correction: Ryan will make nearly $2 million if he hits all of his bonuses, which is highly unlikely.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
CraigC

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Toskala is worth less than Wolski? I beg to differ. Colorado is the team who'd have to throw in the kicker.
I agree

CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 07:03 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Correction: Ryan will make nearly $2 million if he hits all of his bonuses, which is highly unlikely.
But the cap hit is still nearly 2 million till the end of the season. All bonuses count against the cap.

Old
10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
A salary dump to Colorado
That's what I figured.

Quote:
Yeah, I am suggesting that. Toskala was supposed to be the Leafs' saviour, and he kinda blew chunks last year, did he not? Wolski is just going up and up. Yeah, Vesa had 33 wins last season, but if I recall correctly, there were an awful lot of games where Leafs fans were complaining about his play. Wolski, on the other hand, had 48 points and a +10, as a 21 year old, on a *fairly* poor (for Colorado) squad.

Besides, Colorado has no need for him. They just took Raycroft from you guys, remember?

Old
10-11-2008, 07:16 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
That's what I figured.

Yeah, I am suggesting that. Toskala was supposed to be the Leafs' saviour, and he kinda blew chunks last year, did he not? Wolski is just going up and up. Yeah, Vesa had 33 wins last season, but if I recall correctly, there were an awful lot of games where Leafs fans were complaining about his play. Wolski, on the other hand, had 48 points and a +10, as a 21 year old, on a *fairly* poor (for Colorado) squad.

Besides, Colorado has no need for him. They just took Raycroft from you guys, remember?
Um... please change "you guys" to "the Leafs". It'll be a cold day in hell before I cheer for the Leafs.

Old
10-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
But the cap hit is still nearly 2 million till the end of the season. All bonuses count against the cap.
No, I'm pretty sure his cap hit goes down as his bonuses become unattainable.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Um... please change "you guys" to "the Leafs". It'll be a cold day in hell before I cheer for the Leafs.
I had a feeling, but I just wanted to group you in with "them" just to get you defensive.

Old
10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
No, I'm pretty sure his cap hit goes down as his bonuses become unattainable.
Guess that depends on what his bonuses are based on. If they're based on games played, then yeah... but if they're based on points scored, then the bonuses will go down at the end of the season.

Old
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
I had a feeling, but I just wanted to group you in with "them" just to get you defensive.
Nooo the mind games! I can't take it any more!

Old
10-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Really guys. It's just the beginning of the season. It's great to see that there are tons of guy's who're passionate about the sport and want to see some trades go down. It's the beginning of the season and there isn't often much trades till around the Christmas freeze. There are a lot of teams out there who're in no position to make trades right now because they lack cap space or can't afford to give up anything significant because it would take away important elements from the team.

<snip>

Buffalo Sabres: 5.9 mill space.
Needs: Top 6 winger, tough stay-at home defenseman.
Options: Here we have a team which has a respectable amount of cap space, some players currently playing in the NHL who'd attract some interest(Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly and Ales Kotalik) and future NHL goalie Jhonas Enroth. Buffalo seemed to be a big underachievers with their two leaders gone to free agency last season. If things look horrible early on this could be one of the few teams in the East who'll go out and make a deal. They need a top 6 forward who's shown some consistency over the past few years. They're not going to roll the dice with an iffy prospect, but if the price is right they might roll the dice with another player who's been down on his luck.
Conclusion: If team plays at a level below expectations they're likely to make a trade to shake things up before the season has been thrown away....
Let me say... well done. Your efforts are appreciated.

A few points -- Darcy Regier does not make deals in-season. Historically, the number of NHL roster additions he's made in-season not within site of the trade deadline is minuscule (two by my count... Sanderson for May in February of '98 and a pick for Tsyplakov in January of 2000). He does not make trades early in the year, regardless of whether the team needs a shake up or improvement in talent. Classically, he will just make due with his minor league recalls.

As for what they need.... A quality center more so than just any "top-six forward" at this point due to injury to both Connolly and Gaustad. Even long-term with those two healthy (yes, that is almost a joke when referencing Connolly), they could use the depth down the middle.