HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Saturday Oct 11th 7PM EST- 08/09 HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 09:32 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
All im going to say is, in a game like that, when you are down 5-0 and you get an opportunistic tap in goal, why on earth do you celebrate like you just got the game winner?

**** you Jason Blake, its so painfully clear you play for the name on the back, not the symbol in front.

Cant wait till he's off the team.
Pretty sure that's not the first time he's done such a celebration under the same circumstances.

10-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Well it's time for Ron Wilson to give more minutes to Tlusty and Kulemin. The Poni line is horrendous and I don't know why Ron was still pulling for that line during the whole game. I also read somewhere Jason lead all LEafs forwards in ice time. We need to stop taking boneheaded penalties especially to a potent-PP Montreal team that loves to score on it. We should do much better against St. Louis however. And I do want to see Antropov feeding the puck to Kulemin or Tlusty because neither Blake or Ponikarovsky can capitalize on their chances. Antropov is also the only real playmaking forward on this team. Stralman should be playing against St. Louis. Schenn played well although not as good as his previous game. He needs more time in the WHL and in the WJCs.
I'd switch Kulemin with Poni, if only because I'm not ready to breakup Tlusty/Grabo/Hagman.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Developing happens whether your winning or losing. Take the most recent bottom feeders for example (L.A, St.Louis, and Chiacgo). Have the youngsters on those teams not been able to develop because they are in a losing environment?
they would have developed better in a winning environment. more fun to come to rink every day. and learning how to win is basically the bottom line for any young nhler.

but i suppose you gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
Pretty sure that's not the first time he's done such a celebration under the same circumstances.
No, its not.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Bobby G

Does anyone no where I can watch the Opening montage/monologue? Not the new anthem but the video after that, I think it started off with "It will be another long winter in Canada". There was a clip on CBC.ca but it doesn't show the full video and its terrible quality.

Old
10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I'm not going to read through the thread... But I'm hoping the common feeling isn't that Toskala was the problem.

That would be pretty stupid.

The team around him was just not ready tonight. Plain and simple. A bit of bad luck, as well.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
All im going to say is, in a game like that, when you are down 5-0 and you get an opportunistic tap in goal, why on earth do you celebrate like you just got the game winner?

**** you Jason Blake, its so painfully clear you play for the name on the back, not the symbol in front.

Cant wait till he's off the team.
13 seconds later Montreal made it 6-1, shoving it down Leafs throats likely in part payback for that Blake ridiculous celebration.

Blake who is the oldest skater on the team, rather then being a leader, he is an awful role model for young players because as you pointed out its all about Jason Blake and the team second.

10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
Quote:
No, its not.
Actually it is, at least here it is. Someone in the summer made the same claim so I went back to look at his goals. One was scored when it was a blow-out and he wasn't even given credit. The others were all in 1-2 goal games.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
I'm not going to read through the thread... But I'm hoping the common feeling isn't that Toskala was the problem.

The team around him was just not ready tonight. Plain and simple. A bit of bad luck, as well.
Nah. He had no chance on a lot of those.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Nah. He had no chance on a lot of those.
Though I should mention that he's wasn't quite as sharp as his usual self.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
EazyB97

Blake scored and set-up a goal (that was disallowed). His line was probably our most effective line all night long. Grabbo's line had some nice flashes, but no chances came of it and Grabovski/y had alot of trouble with turn-overs. Steen's line didn't look bad as bad as the Grabbo and Mayers line, but weren't great either.

Not alot of positives from tonight. We seemed to be dominated in every aspect of the game which isn't okay. We were pushed around by a physically weak team and looked lost during the play. I thought Kulemin looked strong upfront and MVR had a decent game, but could still be better. Not much else to take from this game. Mayers should've fought earlier on, especially during the Moore or Stajan mix-ups.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Blake scored and set-up a goal. His line was probably our most effective line all night long. Grabbo's line had some nice flashes, but no chances came of it and Grabovski/y had alot of trouble with turn-overs. Steen's line didn't look bad as bad as the Grabbo and Mayers line, but weren't great either.

Not alot of positives from tonight. We seemed to be dominated in every aspect of the game which isn't okay. We were pushed around by a physically weak team and looked lost during the play. I thought Kulemin looked strong upfront and MVR had a decent game, but could still be better. Not much else to take from this game. Mayers should've fought earlier on, especially during the Moore or Stajan mix-ups.

Toronto only scored 1 goal.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:23 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Toronto only scored 1 goal.
The disallowed one that was called back. Our two best chances on the night (one counted).

Old
10-12-2008, 11:24 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "THE problem", but Toskala stunk tonight, there's no denying that.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:31 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The disallowed one that was called back. Our two best chances on the night (one counted).
The two on one with Antropov where Blake couldn't get the puck raised also.

With all of the shots that Blake has taken that haven't gone in he should be happy when one does. I would be.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

man, what a humbling experience that was last night. and overall, a crappy boring game to watch. we laid an egg, and they were better at the same time.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:37 AM
mooseOAK*

I pretty sick of players telling us how wonderful it is to play in Toronto, mecca of hockey, blah, blah, blah, and then stinking the place up on Saturday nights. Hopefully Wilson can put that to an end once and for all.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:43 AM
alienanton*

im not too worried.

we came out flying. if blake had potted that shot like 2 minutes in it would've a been a totally different game. instead halak stops it and they score 2 quick ones...it was over at this point.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:54 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I pretty sick of players telling us how wonderful it is to play in Toronto, mecca of hockey, blah, blah, blah, and then stinking the place up on Saturday nights. Hopefully Wilson can put that to an end once and for all.

You can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken S**t.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I don't know what you mean by "THE problem", but Toskala stunk tonight, there's no denying that.
Wilson said so himself in his Post-Game interview.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Antropovsky

It was a bad game, but certainly not something that could be habitual. We must have hit 5 posts (a couple goal mouth scrambles), had one disallowed goal, had a 4 minute double minor, and our Goalie was having an off game (I hope). I'd say that the Refs were very unfair as well, as Stajan's hit from behind went uncalled, as did Moore's (Moore eventually was given a Penalty for his retaliation). What could have went bad, went bad....

Also...this team is going to take a little bit of time to get used to eachother, the Habs team is pretty much the exact same team from last year.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
mcphee

I might be in a minority, but I think Toronto is going to a pain in the ass to play against this year. They have a lot of guys with little to lose who are going to be tenacious and eager to show they want to be part of the solution.

The 2 goals on the double minor, sort of sealed the deal last night, but I was impressed by how many guys tried to force the issue thru 60 minutes. I did get the impression though that Kaberle may not find that he wants to hang around during the process. Just a feeling but he doesn't seem part of things somehow.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLeaf View Post
You can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken S**t.
And you can't fail to miss a point.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
they would have developed better in a winning environment. more fun to come to rink every day. and learning how to win is basically the bottom line for any young nhler.

but i suppose you gotta learn to walk before you can run.
Failure is the mother of success, if you want to go high you have to fall.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
EazyB97

Few disturbing things tonight

- A loss like this was something the coaches and GM blamed on the players who we've lost all summer long. Last night we didn't have much emotion. Moore was the closest thing and his was an outburst. McCabe and Tucker usually stepped up their physical play and got angry in these situations, while Mats could dominate. It would've been nice to see some players step up. Mayers had to be a force, while others had to get Angry. We went through the motions.

- The other is this is a fragile team. We know we're young, but we're fragile. The goals in short periods was something that came under Maurice, same with the blowing leads. It wasn't leadership, it was a team mentality that stretched from line 1 to line 4 and is now still with the team. It's something we can break, but needs to be fixed.

- We're also a team with speed who looked very slow last night. That's because of our poor puck movement. Montreal was flying last night without any of their players moving, that's because the puck was moving quickly and we were chasing. It's something we need to get to.

Closed Thread