HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Avalanche @ Flames, Game 9

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Rene Bourque 10 33.33%
Curtis Glencross 0 0%
Michael Cammalleri 1 3.33%
Miikka Kiprusoff 17 56.67%
Robyn Regehr 2 6.67%
Other- please specify 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Avalanche @ Flames, Game 9

Fire away!!!

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

GREAT effort by the home team tonight.

I love games like this where I don't know who to vote for as MVP. Kiprusoff for his shutout or Bourque for his best game of the season. He was very good all game defensively, scored a goal and created the opportunity for Cammalleri's goal. There are really a handfull of players I could vote, but I'll vote Kiprusoff for the shutout.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Can anyone find that picture with Miikka in chefs clothes with a "w" on his plate? One of us used to post that after every win last year.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:04 PM
GoFlames

Wow what a game! Kipper and a total balanced secondary scoring.... I am starting to like this team. Voted Kipper

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Although Bourque played a very strong game and Kipper showed up in the first period with some good saves and got his first SO, I went with Robyn Regehr as the MVP.
He played a terrific defensive game and stood for the great overall defensive game by our D tonight.

It was a game of patience, discipline and organization and I credit our defense (and Regehr as its outstanding representative in this game), that we finally did not run out of either of those.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Third Period
Much much better period!! It seems the Flames simply got better as the game went o! Excellent defensive zone passing, fantastic outlet passing and much stronger work ethic. Then the scoring began.

Poor Budaj. He played so well then Glencross and Bourque simply turned him into swiss cheese. And Rene!! You the man! What an amazing bit of work on that third goal!! First you negate the icing and then what an amazing pass to Cammy!

Save of the Game™ has to go to the goalpost in the Flames end. That puck goes in and this game is a much different affair. But as it was the post saved the Flames bacon and they went on to make their streak a 4 game run!

Overall Impressions
Like I said earlier a slow slow start to the game for both teams, but the Flames, unlike the Avalanche stepped up their play as each period progressed. Missed opportunities could have been the story of this game, and it should be noted. Shot on net need to be exactly that. ON NET!

I cannot tell you how happy I was to see the passing get cleaner and crisper as the game progressed, but I would rather see the game START that way and continue in the same vein. Smarter passing in the defensive zone and better work in the offensive zone is what broke this game open for the Flames. Strong work in the corners and behind the net always pays off eventually, as Rene Bourque can testify.

And Miikka with the shutout!! Yeah, he’s back!! And not one Flames fan is sad to see that!

Three Stars By Me
1. Miikka Kiprusoff
2. Rene Bourque
3. Curtis Glencross

I was going to give Budaj a star until the last half of the Third, but he does deserve an honourable mention.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Grannys

GO FLAMES!!! I only caught the 3rd period but that was a good one. Huge battles for the pucks with Flames coming out on top, good defensively by keeping the Avs in the corners and a good effort to dump the puck on net and crash the net.

We needed this win against the division team and we got it. Things are loooking really good... but I remember saying that a few times last year only to be silenced right away by some loosing streaks. But lets keep our fingers crossed that the Flames stay consistent and continue these 60 minute efforts.

Nice to see the new kids on the block get goals

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
And Miikka with the shutout!! Yeah, he’s back!! And not one Flames fan is sad to see that!
I think that statement might be just a tad premature. Miikka's been playing well but I'm going to wait until November's end until I really make up my mind. If Kipper can be spectacular October/November (His worst months), then he's not only back... he's better!

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Grannys

150 wins by kipper as a Flame and 24 of then have been shutouts, DAMN!!!!

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BadNewsBearcat

I just want to add that Boyd is going to be fun to watch once he puts on a little muscle. He could have had at least 1G and 3A today.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cephalusc

Haven't heard from the fire Keenan, we need a more mobile defense to win, Kipper sucks crowd for a while. Although I know they'll be back next time we lose two in a row, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Great game tonight. I think we're starting to see the potential this team showed us in the first few games more consistantly.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Hyde

My MVP vote went to Bourque, I'm as happy as the next person for Kiprusoff's SO, but I loved that play on the third goal too much.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:42 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Another good game by the boys. Not the most exciting especially the first two periods, but they got the job done. Defensive play has really improved and Kipper is making the saves when called upon. Secondary scoring comes up huge in the third period. Exactly what I like to see. Team has me really excited right now and they seemed to have figured it out. Just need to keep it up now.

MVP goes to Bourque tonight. Nice play on his goal and just a fantastic heads up play to set up Cammalleri. Shows his speed to beat the icing call and feeds Cammy for the easy tap in. Gotta love it. Also thought Glencross was very good tonight and it sure is nice to see him get that first one. Hasn't had many bounces go his way so far this season, but made no mistake. Also what a terrific setup from Moss who was good tonight as well. Great boardwork and just a great pass to Glencross. Third line is looking really good the last couple games.

Keep it up boys!

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Wow what a game! Kipper and a total balanced secondary scoring.... I am starting to like this team. Voted Kipper
This is exactly the type of game the team would have lost last year with the lackluster secondary scoring the team got. What a difference a year makes. The grinders and role players really stepped up tonight on a night when the Flames best players did not have their best games. Bourque, Glencross, Moss, Prust...Was a bit of a frustrating game to watch at first, but they eventually wore down the Avs...Very solid effort tonight...The defense was the best I've seen all year.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Pardy Time

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
bam09

Again, I'll tip my hat when Kipper has a good game. He played very well, good job by him.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY View Post
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
puck_08

That was a great game!!

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:02 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
This is exactly the type of game the team would have lost last year with the lackluster secondary scoring the team got. What a difference a year makes. The grinders and role players really stepped up tonight on a night when the Flames best players did not have their best games. Bourque, Glencross, Moss, Prust...Was a bit of a frustrating game to watch at first, but they eventually wore down the Avs...Very solid effort tonight...The defense was the best I've seen all year.

Well said. It was nice to see the secondary scoring step up and come through with a big win. The fact this team limited the Avalanche to 2 shots on net in the last 30 minutes to me was the most impressive part of this game.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Northern Neighbour

Kiprusoff was the team's first star in the first period. He played an excellent period as the team decided to play a run-and-style with the Avalanche. Kiprusoff wasn't very busy in the latter two periods (only 9 shots total), but he was helped by two goalposts.

I thought that Cammalleri was the best Flame on the ice. He was creating chances most of the game and had a lot of jump. Bourque also played a very good game. Primeau is quietly becoming the unsung hero on the team with his splendid PKing and blue-collar game. David Moss had a fine showing as well.

I thought Phaneuf played one of his best games of the year despite not collecting a point. He was aggressive, physical, and jumped into the play at the right times. But more importantly, his defensive play was very good. He has significantly improved this part of his game.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Cyrus

I was also pleased with the few penalty calls against the Flames tonight, showing some discipline. 3 minors, with one coming with a minute left while the game was all but locked up. And even when we were short-handed, the PK did a fine job.

The PP (except the last one) could have a been a bit better, especially getting set-up in the offensive zone. I thought having Camalleri on the point was working, but Kennan had Phaneuf-Aucoin on the point. I assume it was because it was more important to not have a SH chance against, so I'm not too upset.

My MVP vote was a very tough choice between Kipper and Bourque, but seeing Rene beat that icing call to set up the 3rd goal was a thing of beauty, so I had to go with him.

Now that the Avs 5 game win streak is over, it's time to end Thomas' 2 game shutout streak

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Wags

Good game of simple, boring hockey...I love it!

I like that we won a close, low scoring game and I was glad to see Boyd get time up on the 1st line.

Keep it going!

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
Great point. Last year the flames probably end up losing a game like this. Great to have our bottom 2 lines able to contribute offensively. What a difference a year makes.

Absolutely love the versatility of guys like Boyd, Glencross, Bourque, Moss and Conroy. They can play on pretty much any line and contribute.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote