HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hockey's Future: Kings 2008 System Audit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
  #1
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Hockey's Future: Kings 2008 System Audit

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._system_audit/

__________________
Saxon Sports Information and Research
David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:19 PM
  #2
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Great work David......as usual.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
  #3
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I love how you aren't afraid to call out some of our prospects

I especially like your description of the goalie situation and Brian Boyle

keep up the good work!

But I do have to say that, outside of the Right wing slot, our forward prospect depth is somewhat thin

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
  #4
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
But I do have to say that, outside of the Right wing slot, our forward prospect depth is somewhat thin
I agree with you. This past draft Lombardi selected a defenseman with all three of his first picks. Even though Voinov may become a very good defenseman I still am of the unpopular opinion that selecting him was not necessary. There were a few good forward prospects that were highly rated around the time that Dean selected Voinov (Deschamps, O'Dell and Wahl stick out the most) that may have been a better option for a pipeline that is now loaded on defensemen and somewhat thin on forwards.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
  #5
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I agree with you. This past draft Lombardi selected a defenseman with all three of his first picks. Even though Voinov may become a very good defenseman I still am of the unpopular opinion that selecting him was not necessary. There were a few good forward prospects that were highly rated around the time that Dean selected Voinov (Deschamps, O'Dell and Wahl stick out the most) that may have been a better option for a pipeline that is now loaded on defensemen and somewhat thin on forwards.
It's ok, Lombardi is going to go forward prospect heavy in this draft.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
  #6
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's ok, Lombardi is going to go forward prospect heavy in this draft.
Hopefully.....so far Dean has selected a goaltender and 2 defensemen with his 1st picks. I am not necessarily saying this is a bad thing....but when you do this the result will be a thinning out in the forward depth.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
  #7
Zeno
Registered User
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Great article, thanks.

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
  #8
Cheap Seats
Registered User
 
Cheap Seats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Damn good article David.... I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it...

Cheap Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
  #9
ciccarelli80
 
ciccarelli80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: huntington beach, CA
Country: France
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Nice write up!

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
  #10
Chruceg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
Thank you very much for the article. As always it was well written and poignant.

I think the large number of defensive prospects selected makes a lot of sense when rebuilding an organization. With Goaltending taking the longest to develop you can see that Dean made an effort to shore up that position first with the drafting of Bernier. Defensemen take less time than goalies to develop but much longer than forwards. If you premise your rebuilding philosophy on building from the net out a significant effort must be made to draft quality AND quantity. Because defense is so difficult to learn and being offesnively gifted on the back end such a rare commodity, it is well worth the gamble to hit it big. Flame outs on defense happen all the time (see Berg, Aki). Only once you feel you have a steady defensive corps does drafting forwards makes a good deal of sense. Forwards tend to be far less volatile in terms of projections and the elite forwards pan out far more often and quickly.

Take for example Moller who was drafted in '07 and is already having an impact with the big club versus Thomas Hickey who was drafted in the same year fifty spots ahead of Moller. Hickey still exudes potential and will likely compete for a spot next year. I would argue that Hickey is more valuable to the organization even now because Hickey's potential as a future Scott Nediermeyer isn't out of the question. (Hyperbole for point)

I don't think Dean will completely move away from drafting defense yet because the Kings are so deep right now with young forwards. Between Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan, Moller, Simmonds, Purcell, and Boyle you have enough young depth at forward for years. Defense is just too volatile to bank on just a few guys.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:41 AM
  #11
Thrice
Coyote Killer
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Hopefully.....so far Dean has selected a goaltender and 2 defensemen with his 1st picks. I am not necessarily saying this is a bad thing....but when you do this the result will be a thinning out in the forward depth.
Not when your 2nd round picks are Moeller and Simmonds.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
  #12
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Not when your 2nd round picks are Moeller and Simmonds.
Even with Moller and Simmonds they do not match the depth (or quality) in forward prospects the Kings had when Kopitar and O'Sullivan were still Kings prospects. If the Kings would have drafted Voracek in 2007 the Kings would still have a superior defensive pipeline (with Doughty, Teubert, Voinov and Martinez), but would also be deeper on the forward side.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
  #13
lumbergh
Registered User
 
lumbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Even with Moller and Simmonds they do not match the depth (or quality) in forward prospects the Kings had when Kopitar and O'Sullivan were still Kings prospects. If the Kings would have drafted Voracek in 2007 the Kings would still have a superior defensive pipeline (with Doughty, Teubert, Voinov and Martinez), but would also be deeper on the forward side.
Jakob Voracek: 9GP 3G 4A 7Pts

I'm hoping for the best with Hickey, but there's not going to be room for him soon. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
  #14
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Jakob Voracek: 9GP 3G 4A 7Pts

I'm hoping for the best with Hickey, but there's not going to be room for him soon. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.
The thing is....it is not hindsight....many people on this very board were wondering why Dean selected Hickey over Voracek right after the pick was announced.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
  #15
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
The thing is....it is not hindsight....many people on this very board were wondering why Dean selected Hickey over Voracek right after the pick was announced.
Yup. My jaw hit the floor when I heard this at the draft party. I wanted Voracek badly.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
  #16
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
The great thing is, we have a ton of D prospects. The ones that don't work out won't cripple the organization. The prospects that are awesome, we keep. The others that we don't have room for, but still are good we can trade for a forward. Forwards are easier to come by than good dmen. I'd rather have to worry about filling forward spots than D spots through trade and free agency.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
  #17
not tellin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
The great thing is, we have a ton of D prospects. The ones that don't work out won't cripple the organization. The prospects that are awesome, we keep. The others that we don't have room for, but still are good we can trade for a forward. Forwards are easier to come by than good dmen. I'd rather have to worry about filling forward spots than D spots through trade and free agency.
BINGO. I agree with this logic.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.