HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hockey's Future: Kings 2008 System Audit

Old
10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Hockey's Future: Kings 2008 System Audit

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._system_audit/

10-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Captain Ron

Great work David......as usual.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I love how you aren't afraid to call out some of our prospects

I especially like your description of the goalie situation and Brian Boyle

keep up the good work!

But I do have to say that, outside of the Right wing slot, our forward prospect depth is somewhat thin

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
But I do have to say that, outside of the Right wing slot, our forward prospect depth is somewhat thin
I agree with you. This past draft Lombardi selected a defenseman with all three of his first picks. Even though Voinov may become a very good defenseman I still am of the unpopular opinion that selecting him was not necessary. There were a few good forward prospects that were highly rated around the time that Dean selected Voinov (Deschamps, O'Dell and Wahl stick out the most) that may have been a better option for a pipeline that is now loaded on defensemen and somewhat thin on forwards.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I agree with you. This past draft Lombardi selected a defenseman with all three of his first picks. Even though Voinov may become a very good defenseman I still am of the unpopular opinion that selecting him was not necessary. There were a few good forward prospects that were highly rated around the time that Dean selected Voinov (Deschamps, O'Dell and Wahl stick out the most) that may have been a better option for a pipeline that is now loaded on defensemen and somewhat thin on forwards.
It's ok, Lombardi is going to go forward prospect heavy in this draft.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's ok, Lombardi is going to go forward prospect heavy in this draft.
Hopefully.....so far Dean has selected a goaltender and 2 defensemen with his 1st picks. I am not necessarily saying this is a bad thing....but when you do this the result will be a thinning out in the forward depth.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Zeno

Great article, thanks.

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Cheap Seats

Damn good article David.... I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it...

Cheap Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
ciccarelli80

Nice write up!

ciccarelli80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Chruceg

Thank you very much for the article. As always it was well written and poignant.

I think the large number of defensive prospects selected makes a lot of sense when rebuilding an organization. With Goaltending taking the longest to develop you can see that Dean made an effort to shore up that position first with the drafting of Bernier. Defensemen take less time than goalies to develop but much longer than forwards. If you premise your rebuilding philosophy on building from the net out a significant effort must be made to draft quality AND quantity. Because defense is so difficult to learn and being offesnively gifted on the back end such a rare commodity, it is well worth the gamble to hit it big. Flame outs on defense happen all the time (see Berg, Aki). Only once you feel you have a steady defensive corps does drafting forwards makes a good deal of sense. Forwards tend to be far less volatile in terms of projections and the elite forwards pan out far more often and quickly.

Take for example Moller who was drafted in '07 and is already having an impact with the big club versus Thomas Hickey who was drafted in the same year fifty spots ahead of Moller. Hickey still exudes potential and will likely compete for a spot next year. I would argue that Hickey is more valuable to the organization even now because Hickey's potential as a future Scott Nediermeyer isn't out of the question. (Hyperbole for point)

I don't think Dean will completely move away from drafting defense yet because the Kings are so deep right now with young forwards. Between Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan, Moller, Simmonds, Purcell, and Boyle you have enough young depth at forward for years. Defense is just too volatile to bank on just a few guys.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Hopefully.....so far Dean has selected a goaltender and 2 defensemen with his 1st picks. I am not necessarily saying this is a bad thing....but when you do this the result will be a thinning out in the forward depth.
Not when your 2nd round picks are Moeller and Simmonds.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Not when your 2nd round picks are Moeller and Simmonds.
Even with Moller and Simmonds they do not match the depth (or quality) in forward prospects the Kings had when Kopitar and O'Sullivan were still Kings prospects. If the Kings would have drafted Voracek in 2007 the Kings would still have a superior defensive pipeline (with Doughty, Teubert, Voinov and Martinez), but would also be deeper on the forward side.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Even with Moller and Simmonds they do not match the depth (or quality) in forward prospects the Kings had when Kopitar and O'Sullivan were still Kings prospects. If the Kings would have drafted Voracek in 2007 the Kings would still have a superior defensive pipeline (with Doughty, Teubert, Voinov and Martinez), but would also be deeper on the forward side.
Jakob Voracek: 9GP 3G 4A 7Pts

I'm hoping for the best with Hickey, but there's not going to be room for him soon. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Jakob Voracek: 9GP 3G 4A 7Pts

I'm hoping for the best with Hickey, but there's not going to be room for him soon. Oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.
The thing is....it is not hindsight....many people on this very board were wondering why Dean selected Hickey over Voracek right after the pick was announced.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
The thing is....it is not hindsight....many people on this very board were wondering why Dean selected Hickey over Voracek right after the pick was announced.
Yup. My jaw hit the floor when I heard this at the draft party. I wanted Voracek badly.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

The great thing is, we have a ton of D prospects. The ones that don't work out won't cripple the organization. The prospects that are awesome, we keep. The others that we don't have room for, but still are good we can trade for a forward. Forwards are easier to come by than good dmen. I'd rather have to worry about filling forward spots than D spots through trade and free agency.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
The great thing is, we have a ton of D prospects. The ones that don't work out won't cripple the organization. The prospects that are awesome, we keep. The others that we don't have room for, but still are good we can trade for a forward. Forwards are easier to come by than good dmen. I'd rather have to worry about filling forward spots than D spots through trade and free agency.
BINGO. I agree with this logic.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote