HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 "Fire John Stevens!" thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=546125

Old
10-17-2008, 09:08 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Old
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Weird. I was just wondering when you were gonna show up.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
- Pat Quinn
- Paul Maurice
- Denis Savard, apparently
- Marc Crawford
- Bob Hartley

That's about all I can think of.

There's also the lesser-lights, guys like Bob Francis, Trent Yawney, Robbie Ftorek, John Torchetti, Mike Kitchen....etc.
Paul Maurice is not a hockey coach. The guy's a useless tool. If John Stevens gets fired, under no circumstance would I want the Flyers to replace Stevens with Maurice. The coaching position would remain inept.

The other thing I'm afraid of is if the Flyers fire Stevens, they'll replace him with one of the three assistants on the staff. To be perfectly honest, I'd be more than content with someone like Bob Francis coming on board if they couldn't get Pat Burns, probably the best coach not working in the game.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
LOL

Watch out - my next graphic depicts Mike Richards and in big letters: CAPTAIN FAIL!!!

Old
Kaktus*

Pat Burns and Nolan assistant.

Get it ****ing done.

Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Paul Maurice is not a hockey coach. The guy's a useless tool. If John Stevens gets fired, under no circumstance would I want the Flyers to replace Stevens with Maurice. The coaching position would remain inept.

The other thing I'm afraid of is if the Flyers fire Stevens, they'll replace him with one of the three assistants on the staff. To be perfectly honest, I'd be more than content with someone like Bob Francis coming on board if they couldn't get Pat Burns, probably the best coach not working in the game.
I would be pretty shocked if they didn't look outside in the event something were to go down -- I'll still be shocked if it does, but the schedule is pretty brutal to start the year. Torts is another guy that would probably get some interest...and given the talent at forward, I could see this being a gig he'd be interested in, as opposed to the Isles job he avoided.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:25 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
When Toskala started last year for TO (i.e. when they got competent goaltending), TO went 33-25 with that crap roster. Maurice was made the scapegoat for a series of awful, awful decisions by JFJ, he's definitely an upgrade from Stevens.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Pat Burns is a destroyer of teams. Every team he has coached has gone into decline:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=686

Ted Nolan is not as bad. He has four years of NHL experience, and once he got to the second round of the playoffs!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3984

The surest sign that someone doesn't know what they're talking about is when they mention Pat Burns or Ted Nolan as good hockey coaches.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Kambo

Quote:
LOL

Watch out - my next graphic depicts Mike Richards and in big letters: CAPTAIN FAIL!!!

Oooh, ouch.

Well, you just keep telling yourself it's everyone elses fault but Stevens. Anything to make you feel better.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:44 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Oooh, ouch.

Well, you just keep telling yourself it's everyone elses fault but Stevens. Anything to make you feel better.
That'd be cool - we can balance each other out. You can maintain the NHL head coaches have these neat Nintendo controllers that they use to move the players around the ice, and I will say the it is the players who take dumb penalties, turn pucks over, miss nets, fail to cover the slot, pass like peewees, and generally loaf around the ice like a team that assumed it would be good.

And I was just kidding about the Richards thing.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
That'd be cool - we can balance each other out. You can maintain the NHL head coaches have these neat Nintendo controllers that they use to move the players around the ice, and I will say the it is the players who take dumb penalties, turn pucks over, miss nets, fail to cover the slot, pass like peewees, and generally loaf around the ice like a team that assumed it would be good.

And I was just kidding about the Richards thing.

It is the coaches job to prepare their team for the game.

In all 4 games the Flyers have come out wildly unprepared and have started many periods in the same fashion. The only button Stevens has pushed correctly is putting in Niittymaki when he has.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Did you watch that **** tonight?
Yes, I did.

The first period was mesmerizing in its putridity.

Our defensive group is simply awful. Sbisa is 18, and, as Meltzer noted, it finally really showed through last night. Alberts and Eminger...ugh. Coburn looks like he's trying way too hard right now. I never thought he was a true first pairing defenseman last year, but he's definitely a quality 2nd pairing guy with upside...but he needs to remember that. I think he feels he has to really carry a heavy weight while broken up from Timonen, and it's leading him into lots of dangerous plays.

This team is in trouble. The schedule is really tough and they may very well get to game 9 without having registered a win, which means their confidence will be in the gutter.

All that being said, despite the fact that I think Stevens has needed to go for some time...Holmgren deserves a load of criticism for this team.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

In all 4 games the Flyers have come out wildly unprepared and have started many periods in the same fashion. The only button Stevens has pushed correctly is putting in Niittymaki when he has.
You forget, JXC has absolutely zero explanation for the job that the coach actually does do...thus criticizing the coach is meaningless. I mean, look at that quote, you can just remove the coach it's all on the players to make those things happen.

As if some coaches don't consistently field teams with different players that do accomplish all those things. Why? Because they demand it of their players and hold them accountable if they don't do it.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You forget, JXC has absolutely zero explanation for the job that the coach actually does do...thus criticizing the coach is meaningless. I mean, look at that quote, you can just remove the coach it's all on the players to make those things happen.

As if some coaches don't consistently field teams with different players that do accomplish all those things. Why? Because they demand it of their players and hold them accountable if they don't do it.
Stamping your feet and crying in the media will only work for so long. At some point the coach just gets tuned out of that happens. If you look at the three captains (Richards, Gagne, Timonen), Richards and Gagne have scored in each game, Richards has certainly led by example and Timonen has not been woeful, he's made some mistakes some of which trying to do too much (might be because he's having to play like 43 minutes a game). He's making it sound like he's going to talk to those three guys like they're the ones who are the problem.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I know. But I see no evidence that these players are ready to be prepared to function as a team. Richards is a powerplay turnover machine. Coburn looks like a second pairing guy at best. Briere won't shoot. Carter looks like he did two years ago. Vaananen and Eminger don't even compare well to the teenage rookie. Alberts looks like he is worth what they paid for him. Knuble cannot hit the net from his "second home" on the doorstep. What it is that Hartnell is going out there I have no idea. And it goes on.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
bennysflyers16

And yesterday on TSN they had Bobby on and were talking about Quenville and Bobby said they should of hired Torts as he is a top 5 coach in the league, all while Torts was sitting right beside him. If Bobby does have any pull left with the team, I bet Torts would be the guy, and i would love it , because there is no way he would allow the team to put out efforts like we have seen so far.

Lupul at center, while Briere is on the wing

Old
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
This team is in trouble
Yes. Yes they are. It is very possible the Flyers are looking at another 10-game losing streak, this one to start the season no less. Loyalty or not, I can't see how Stevens survives that kind of start for a team with high expectations.

Quote:
Holmgren deserves a load of criticism for this team.
Yes. Yes he does. It was pretty apparent we were lacking on the blueline even before the Jones and Parent injuries. Homer did nothing to address this situation in the offseason. He would have been better served to trade from a position of strength (forward depth) to shore up a position of weakness (top-4 defenseman). He didn't do it.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
I know. But I see no evidence that these players are ready to be prepared to function as a team. Richards is a powerplay turnover machine. Coburn looks like a second pairing guy at best. Briere won't shoot. Carter looks like he did two years ago. Vaananen and Eminger don't even compare well to the teenage rookie. Alberts looks like he is worth what they paid for him. Knuble cannot hit the net from his "second home" on the doorstep. What it is that Hartnell is going out there I have no idea. And it goes on.
Well if your players can not get it done, design a system that works for the team you have, Stevens is incapable of doing that. He runs and dump and not chase style that DOES NOT work with this team.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I don't know the man but I think it's pretty obvious he's hands on. If he wasn't happy, a change would be made.

He's pretty passionate and loves to win.

It's been said when Clarke won the Cups, he was given a job for life.

I'm sure some would argue there was a time when Clarke should have been fired.

Loyalty is a double edged sword.
I highly doubt Snider will step in at this point. Hitch was not part of the "inner circle" and I still think that was simply a result of Clarke stepping down and Homer taking over, they wanted a new coach as well.

Quote:
And as always he brings his infinite adult wisdom to the discussion

Quote:

As someone else said, this team has no fundamentals....they are not prepared, they cannot play with any organization what so ever.....Last year was a product of 3 lines getting hot at different times where every shot they took went in, and a not goalie stealings games. Now that neither is happening, the weaknesses with this team come through even more. The forwards are essentially the same group, swap Umberger for Gagne. While maybe not as "talented" this defense should be much quicker and much better at moving the puck and they seem even worse....

Quote:

True.....PLAYERS, PLAYERS

So on one hand, JXC is stating that it is the players that are stinking it up and that is why the team is bad, not the coaching....HOWEVER, we essentially have the same forward group as last year so how is it that the team was so much better last year?? Cause Stevens was doing a good job then???

This team's problem is basic fundamentals, they dont look like they know how to play hockey half the time.....definitely a product of coaching.

I said it before, I am beginning to wonder how much of an influence Murray had on the team last year.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
When Toskala started last year for TO (i.e. when they got competent goaltending), TO went 33-25 with that crap roster. Maurice was made the scapegoat for a series of awful, awful decisions by JFJ, he's definitely an upgrade from Stevens.
Paul Maurice is Coach Mediocre. I saw this guy for almost 10 years in Raleigh, and he was mediocre at best. He lasted so long because Rutherford had a Snider-Clarke relationship with him. He would not adjust his team's style, and they would just exist in mediocrity. If they replace Stevens with him, there will be no real difference. Well, OK, I'd say he might be an improvement, but not by much.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
So on one hand, JXC is stating that it is the players that are stinking it up and that is why the team is bad, not the coaching....HOWEVER, we essentially have the same forward group as last year so how is it that the team was so much better last year?? Cause Stevens was doing a good job then???
JXC will probably just argue that maybe Stevens' Nintendo controller buttons are sticking or something, because there is no way he is at fault.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I said it before, I am beginning to wonder how much of an influence Murray had on the team last year.
And I believe you have every right to wonder about Murray's influence.

Look at the blueline he has to work with in LA. I know its early, but that team has played some really nice defense to this point. The Kings sure look like they have a better system in place than the Flyers, which is not only a sign of Murrays' influence, but a pretty damning sign of Stevens' coaching ability, or lack thereof.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
JXC will probably just argue that maybe Stevens' Nintendo controller buttons are sticking or something, because there is no way he is at fault.
Yeah, well that Nintendo controller only has 2 buttons, obviously not enough for him to control his team....maybe he needs to upgrade to a Playstation or 360 controller, they are wireless too, he wont keep tripping and landing on his head

(Yes, my statement is very lame, but it exposes how lame it was to even bring up Nintendo in the first place)

Old
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
And I believe you have every right to wonder about Murray's influence.

Look at the blueline he has to work with in LA. I know its early, but that team has played some really nice defense to this point. The Kings sure look like they have a better system in place than the Flyers, which is not only a sign of Murrays' influence, but a pretty damning sign of Stevens' coaching ability, or lack thereof.
I hadnt followed LA to date, but if what you say is true, maybe I actually do have a point

Closed Thread