HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Catch-up

Old
10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
houda27

vCash: 500
Rangers Catch-up

Hi everyone.

I am going to ask here, because this has always been such a great source of info for me. For a few reasons, I have not been able to follow anything NHL (Rangers) related since the beginning of the post season last year. Suffice to say, when I tune in this year, this team has a totally different flavor to it. It seems that many of our "top players" from last year are nowhere to be found, and instead are replaced by either many of the kids that we have been talking about for the past few years, or guys that I have never even heard of.

Now, I remember guys like callahan and dubinsky playing well last year, and getting some time, but it seems that they have been given the proverbial "keys to the car" this year. But guys like Voros/Rissmiller, I have to say that I have never even heard of before I saw them. I have tried to look around to get some info about them, and how they arrived here, but I am still a little in the dark about what happened.

Anyway, to make a long story short, a quick synopsis of what happened this summer, and how we got to where we are, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

houda27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:27 AM
TheZherdev

Jagr- Opted to not re-sign with us, and went to Russia to play for Omsk.
Avery- Wanted too much money for his new contract so we let him go,
Straka- Without Jagr there was no point in staying, he now plays in the Czech league
Shanny- Still a possibility he might re-sign, but with the speed the team plays with now, he just doesn't seem like he-d fit on this team.
Voros- FA from Minnesota
Naslund- FA from Vancouver
Redden- FA from Ottawa
Zherdev and Fritsche- traded here for Tyutin and Backman
Korpikoski is the lone rookie on the team.

Naslund and Redden are players that are starting to get old and each had an off year last year. Both have looked good, especially redden.

Zherdev is a young super talented Russian who has some baggage with him. He has been very good thus far and his future seems very very promising.

Voros initially looked like he was at best a 3rd line winger but he has gelled really well with the 2nd line the past few games.

The team is much faster than last year. They continue to play their defensive trap, but their forecheck has become very good. They play in your face hockey now, giving the opposition no time to react both on defense and on offense.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:59 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Straka- Without Jagr there was no point in staying, he now plays in the Czech league
Shanny- Still a possibility he might re-sign, but with the speed the team plays with now, he just doesn't seem like he-d fit on this team.
Voros- FA from Minnesota
Redden- FA from Ottawa

Naslund and Redden are players that are starting to get old and each had an off year last year. Both have looked good, especially redden.

Zherdev is a young super talented Russian who has some baggage with him. He has been very good thus far and his future seems very very promising.

Voros initially looked like he was at best a 3rd line winger but he has gelled really well with the 2nd line the past few games.

The team is much faster than last year. They continue to play their defensive trap, but their forecheck has become very good. They play in your face hockey now, giving the opposition no time to react both on defense and on offense.
Players like Rissmiller, Prucha, and Fritsche seem to have fallen out of the mix a little and haven't generated too much chemistry with line mates, or enough to permanently stick them on a line, although interms of how much promise they have, I would say Fritsche, Prucha, Rissmiller.

(Rissmiller originally was bought in cause of his work on the PK, but since then we have had a few guys stet up and with the acquisition of Zherdev and such, he became a invisible man because of our excess of forwards.)

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
BDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Voros- FA from Minnesota
Redden- FA from Ottawa

that pretty much sums up everything...great post....

throw in the fact the the Rangers have played two back to back games and have won all four of them

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Hollweg was also sent packing to Toronto for a 5th rounder which is looking like a steal.

We also had a very solid draft. Defenseman Del Zotto in the 1st round was once ranked in the top 4 but fell leading up to the draft, but he impressed everyone in training camp, and is looking like a lock for next year. He may even be better than Sanguinetti.

mid round picks Grachev and Weise were also surprisingly signed, and should soon make the big team.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote