HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues vs Toronto Maple Leafs - OCT 13/08 - 1:00PM [LeafsTV] [AM640]

Old
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
Honest question:

Does having two aging, expensive vets on their 1st line (Kariya and Tkachuk) help or hurt the Blues' rebuilding?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Expense shouldn't be taken into account. They are fine with cap space.

I'm not that familiar with their prospect pool.. But taking a quick glance at St. Louis on HF's Top Prospects... 4 of their top 5 players are already on the team right now. So spots aren't going to waste with the vets.

I think Kariya and Tkachuk help. They are lacking in the leadership category. McDonald could chip in. Having been there, done that (Cup Ring)....

But as long as Murray tests the kids in crucial situations during games, instead of always going to the vets, then I can't see how it's a problem.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Expense shouldn't be taken into account. They are fine with cap space.

I'm not that familiar with their prospect pool.. But taking a quick glance at St. Louis on HF's Top Prospects... 4 of their top 5 players are already on the team right now. So spots aren't going to waste with the vets.

I think Kariya and Tkachuk help. They are lacking in the leadership category. McDonald could chip in. Having been there, done that (Cup Ring)....

But as long as Murray tests the kids in crucial situations during games, instead of always going to the vets, then I can't see how it's a problem.
I agree with that, Blues got a real nice looking prospect system and it's only going to improve, JD has a pretty good drafting record.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Sometimes players can put up easy points on losing teams, Bell might be another one who did really well on team without any expectation of winning.
With that as a gauge, then the 3 time non playoff Leafs in a rebuild process is the perfect stage for some Leafs to pad their personal stats this year.

Some Leaf fans must forget that we're now one of those losing teams where weak players flourish. Finger pointing, to dispel success of other players now seems a bit hypocritical.

The saying "People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind.

10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Best game I've been to in years. Wish I would have kept more tickets, they were fun to watch.

Looks like Wilson has got Blake to buy in, easily his best game as a Leaf(at least in my presence).

Lots of speed and effort. Only downside, Stralman and Tlusty need a lot of work. They don't compete nearly hard enough.

Leafs win easily if not for numb nuts.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
With that as a gauge, then the 3 time non playoff Leafs in a rebuild process is the perfect stage for some Leafs to pad their personal stats this year.

Some Leaf fans must forget that we're now one of those losing teams where weak players flourish. Finger pointing, to dispel success of other players now seems a bit hypocritical.

The saying "People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" comes to mind.
Nice to see Kulemin has you back on the bandwagon after the summer hedging.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Honest question:

Does having two aging, expensive vets on their 1st line (Kariya and Tkachuk) help or hurt the Blues' rebuilding?
Not at the phase St Louis is at in their rebuild, no. They looked primed to break out of the basement (and could still) but losing EJ was a massive blow to the team obviously. When you have the young supporting cast they have, its only a matter of time until they start getting good.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Stralman kinda pissed me off today.. With his positioning.

But his first game of the season. We'll give him a break.

Van Ryn has definitely turned it around. He looks great out there. Solid effort, nice passes, and good positioning.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Stralman kinda pissed me off today.. With his positioning.

But his first game of the season. We'll give him a break.

Van Ryn has definitely turned it around. He looks great out there. Solid effort, nice passes, and good positioning.
True. I have to admit, I was really questioning his ability early, I'm glad he turned it around.

10-13-2008, 10:30 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Not at the phase St Louis is at in their rebuild, no. They looked primed to break out of the basement (and could still) but losing EJ was a massive blow to the team obviously. When you have the young supporting cast they have, its only a matter of time until they start getting good.

Note that they've had those expensive vets through every phase of their rebuild.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:37 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Note that they've had those expensive vets through every phase of their rebuild.
And we have Jason Blake and Tomas Kaberle and Pavel Kubina.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:42 PM
LTL

Quote:
It's impossible to not have higher priced vets with our current cap system. As more youngsters step it up from juniors or the marlies they'll replace the vets.

Quote:
Blues highest paid vets

Kariya, Paul 6mil
Tkachuk, Keith 4mil
Brewer, Eric 4.250mil
McKee, Jay 4mil
Mason, Chris 3mil

Players 25 and under: 11 (including Pietrangelo)

Leafs highest paid vets

Kubina, Pavel 5mil
Kaberle, Tomas 4.250mil
Blake, Jason 4mil
Toskala, Vesa 4mil
Finger, Jeff 3.5mil
Hagman, Niklas 3mil
Van Ryn, Mike 2.9mil

Players 25 and under: 11 (Including White and Schenn)
We have two vets on that list which IMO Fletch will try to get rid of in the next wave of movements (Blake and Van Ryn). Once that happens we'll have a similar veteran complement to the Blues listed above.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Nice to see Kulemin has you back on the bandwagon after the summer hedging.
Its hard to get on the bandwagon in the back, when your the one busy driving the Kulemin Bus.

Cautiously optimistic not to set unreal expectations, should not be confused with disinterest during the adjustment period.. Goal scoring ability was always his best skill.

Like you say though players on bad teams can pile up easy points, so all Leaf players must be viewed by the rest of the NHL in that light was my point above if that theory is true.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Bell might be another one who did really well on team without any expectation of winning.
Sadly, it appears we can categorize Blake in the same way. He's a perfect example of why stats only show part of the story.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote