HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

Old
10-13-2008, 01:52 AM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Rypien demolishing Prust last night:

Prust is 15-20 lbs heavier than Rypien and is good for about 250 PIMs per year in the AHL. Not a shrinking violet.

Rypien made him look like a little girl.

edit - just noticed it's up in the OP now, but I'll leave it here too for easy reference.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:06 AM
AgentNaslund*

Rypien = featherweight category.

As I recall Bieska was the middleweight fighting champion in the AHL.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Didn't Laraque say that Cote was the best pound for pound? I may be misremembering.
I hope not.

Orr > Cote

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Wow...Rypien can really chuck him. I think it's a good debate throwing Rypien in there. Tootoo as well along with Lappy...

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 07:42 AM
tylerbear*

I watched the game on CBC Saturday, and I felt bad for Prust when it was over. Rypien owned him. I was glad the refs got in there when they did. It could have been a lot uglier.

I'd like to see Rypien take on Tootoo.

The thing with Tootoo is, if someone with decent to good fighting skills SQUARES off with Tootoo, the person with decent to good fighting skills is more than likely going to win.

Tootoo, in a lot of the fights that I've seen where he's won, he's starting throwing punches before the other guy knew what was going on, and that's how he's racked up so many W's.

Wiesniekski of the Blackhawk's owned Tootoo last year.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindupbird View Post

The thing with Tootoo is, if someone with decent to good fighting skills SQUARES off with Tootoo, the person with decent to good fighting skills is more than likely going to win.

Tootoo, in a lot of the fights that I've seen where he's won, he's starting throwing punches before the other guy knew what was going on, and that's how he's racked up so many W's.
This is absolutely true. Tootoo jumps guys at the beginning of his fights. It should come as no surprise that he fights like a cheap **** too.

Old
10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindupbird View Post
I watched the game on CBC Saturday, and I felt bad for Prust when it was over. Rypien owned him. I was glad the refs got in there when they did. It could have been a lot uglier.

I'd like to see Rypien take on Tootoo.

Wiesniekski of the Blackhawk's owned Tootoo last year.
Even money that you will on November 4.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Here's some Bouillon stuff

Bouillon vs Tucker (bad quality, but all I could find)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLypwrlVNU

Rematch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPtTR94W8g

Bouillon vs Reich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gj79Q7QDWo

I'd say he's up there with the best pound for pound fighters

The only knock on him is that, unless his opponent rips it off, he keeps his visor on during a fight. Not to mention he fights rarely (should be even more rarely with Kostopoulos and Laraque on the team)

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
kakemono

It appears that the fad here is to pick the smallest guy who has won a fight b/c then you can claim pound for pound.

I think the big guys are still the best pound for pound. Laraque is my pick. These other guys like Tootoo, Rypien, etc don't make thier bread by fighting and enforcing. Laraque is my pick because he is the best at the profession of enforcing. He only fights the best - and hardly ever loses. You don't see Laraque fighting anyone who can't fight back.

When you fight the best and win, I don't see how you can name anyone else.

-I really like tootoo b/c he fights anyone who will throw down with him - even the 240lb heavyweights... and gets rocked by them - so while he racks up wins by going in fast, he also racks up the losses by fighting guys out of his league.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
It appears that the fad here is to pick the smallest guy who has won a fight b/c then you can claim pound for pound.

I think the big guys are still the best pound for pound. Laraque is my pick. These other guys like Tootoo, Rypien, etc don't make thier bread by fighting and enforcing. Laraque is my pick because he is the best at the profession of enforcing. He only fights the best - and hardly ever loses. You don't see Laraque fighting anyone who can't fight back.

When you fight the best and win, I don't see how you can name anyone else.

-I really like tootoo b/c he fights anyone who will throw down with him - even the 240lb heavyweights... and gets rocked by them - so while he racks up wins by going in fast, he also racks up the losses by fighting guys out of his league.
You haven't seen much of Rypien, have you? He fights a lot and almost exclusively against guys much bigger than him. And he always wins (except once, against Doug Murray, I guess. not much of a fight, though).

This thread is about pure fighting ability, though, and Rypien has that more than anyone I've seen. That's what lets a 175 lb. guy stand in there with much, much bigger guys. Watch some of his fights. He mixes excellent boxing skills in with pure toughness and an ability to take a punch to land a better punch. Laraque pounds the **** out of people b/c he's tough and huge and strong. If Rypien was 6'5" and 250 lbs. and had the fighting ability he has, he'd be outlawed from the NHL.

Old
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
5'8 Bouillon vs 6'5 Reich.
Reich is 6-1", 200 pounds...

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajic View Post
For his class, he doubles everyone by a mile, but in the entire league, **** no, tit gose to Cote.

BTW, being a lnog time nucks & moose fan, iv seen yym sshare of rypein face rips. hes crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
If you ask Georges Laraque no. He says Riley Cote.
Riley Cote actually loses more fights then he wins. He's far from the toughest in the league, Laraque makes one comment (and I'm pretty sure he didn't actually exactly say Cote was the toughest in the league) and people talk about him like he's one of the elite heavies in the league. Christ, Shawn Thornton's a better fighter then Cote. Colton Orr handles him with ease. Parros killed him, etc. etc. Being entertaining and one comment from Laraque doesn't mean he's the really that good of a fighter.

Rypien's a hell of a fighter. Definitely a candidate for toughest pound for pound in the league. Definitely the most technical in the league.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
tylerbear*

I wondered on Saturday if anyone else was going to throw down with Rypien, but I don't think there's another guy on the Flames who could go with him.(Especially since they got rid of Godard) I know that Phaneuf turned him down. Maybe Vandermeer, but he doesn't seem to drop the gloves as much as he used to, and even then, I'd put money on Rypien.

They'd have to pull a Tootoo and start throwing punches before Rypien knew what was going on.

Rypien is a tough dude, i'll be crossing my fingers for a Rypien/Tootoo fight on November 4th. Here's hoping Rypien owns him like he did Prust.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
moog35

how do you post youtube clips?
I have a couple of good fights I would like to post but everytime I try it doesn't work

Oh and someone in the thread said that Rypien and Bieksa would be a good fight...I think Rypien would dominate him

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
how do you post youtube clips?
I have a couple of good fights I would like to post but everytime I try it doesn't work

Oh and someone in the thread said that Rypien and Bieksa would be a good fight...I think Rypien would dominate him
[ y t ] in here, you post the video id... like if it was youtube.com/video?whatever=dj832ij3d .. you'd post dj832ij3d [ / y t ]

of course.. tags without spaces

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
You haven't seen much of Rypien, have you? He fights a lot and almost exclusively against guys much bigger than him. And he always wins (except once, against Doug Murray, I guess. not much of a fight, though).
There aren't many guys smaller than him in the league that fight, thus by default, he always fights bigger guys and gets praised. It is kind of like Laraque. Most guys are smaller thus he gets labeled as beating up smaller guys?

The real deciding factor should be W:L against guys of equal size. Sure you might give bonus points for wins versus bigger guys, but Laraque doesn't have bigger guys to fight so you can't fault him for that. In a comparison between, say, tootoo and rypien, you could do comparisons versus bigger opponents.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
If you ask Georges Laraque no. He says Riley Cote.
He only said that because he is too much of a class act to say "Me... I am the king of the rink..."

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 03:45 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
Prust isn't a huge guy, 6'0, 195... but Rypien? 5'11, 170.

The guy who delivered that beating is 170 friggin' pounds.
A 170 pound guy can be really strong. I've seen guys in every weight range being incredibly strong. Rypien is an exemple of that.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
eraserhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I love Bouillon because he's one of the few NHLers who actually goes for bodyshots. Very underrated style of fighting.
Maybe he does it to even out the odds because his opponents will be punching his face-shield.

eraserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Love hockeyfights.com, easily the handiest site for fighting...

I would say yes to Rypien being if not the best, one of the best in the lb for lb category. He is 5'11 and 170lbs, hardly a big guy. He's had 7 NHL regular season scraps. Let's look at his opponents...

2006-2007:
Rick Rypien vs Ian Laperriere(6'1, 197lbs according to hockeyfights, so gives up 2 inches and 17 lbs))
Winner: 65.6% voted Rick Rypien Winner

2007-2008:
Rick Rypien vs Doug Murray(6'3, 240lbs according to hockeyfights, so gives up 4 inches and 70 lbs.
Winner: 93.9% voted Doug Murray Winner Everyone's seen the fight in this thread. Rypien basically ate fist from a much bigger guy in that fight with a jersey over his head and A) Stayed standing and B) Was still trying to chuck them. Win or lose, that's *** tough.

Rick Rypien vs Mike Commodore(6'4, 225lbs according to hockeyfights, so gives up 5 inches and 55lbs)
Winner: 44.3% voted Mike Commodore the winner Again, the fight was in this thread and Rypien landed his share of punches in there against a much larger opponent.

Rick Rypien vs Ole-Kristian Tollefsen(6'2, 200 lbs according to hockeyfights, so gives up 3 inches and 30 lbs)
Winner: 95.1% voted Rypien the winner

Rick Rypien vs Cody McLeod(6'2, 206 lbs accoridng to hockeyfights, so gives up 3 inches and 36 lbs)
Winner: 83.7% voted Rypien the winner

Rick Rypien vs Daniel Carcillo(5'11, 202 lbs according to hockeyfights--the only man his height he's fought in the NHL, but still gives up 32 lbs of bulk)
Winner: 66.1% voted Rypien the winner

2008-2009:
Rick Rypien vs Brandon Prust(6'0, 195 lbs according to hockeyfights--1 inch and 25 lbs)
Winner: 100% voted Rypien the winner

And this is ignoring three preseason bouts against where he drew against 6'3, 205 lbs Sutherby, and demolished 6'1, 208lbs Sharks defender Brad Staubitz and 6'1, 200 lbs Sharks defensemen Mike Moore.

I don't know that he's ever actually fought someone who, lb for lb, is exactly his size. But man, Rypien is a tough mother in a fight...if he can just stay healthy enough.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Price4Prez

Well being a Habs fan, and even before that, its hard to go against Big George, as the best fighter in the league...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GacYEtfI8MM

but I personally really like: Milan Lucic

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
Well being a Habs fan, and even before that, its hard to go against Big George, as the best fighter in the league...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GacYEtfI8MM

but I personally really like: Milan Lucic
Best FIGHTER I would easily say Laraque or Brashear...but lb for lb is the question. Rypien, Tootoo and players like them take that cake, IMO.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Stealth JD
You're Sicilian huh?

vCash: 1000
look for Cam Janssen to introduce himself to Rypien next time STL and VAN matchup.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
[ y t ] in here, you post the video id... like if it was youtube.com/video?whatever=dj832ij3d .. you'd post dj832ij3d [ / y t ]

of course.. tags without spaces
thanks Carcillo

I was just checking Rypien's fight card on dropyourgloves.com and he has 38 fights as a pro. In those fights he has only 3 losses and has never faught anyone who weighed the same or less than him. Most of the guys he fights have at least 30 pounds on him

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
TonyTinglebone

For everyone that is mentioning Frankie Boullion, I just thought I would remind you that he may be 5'8" but he does weigh in between 200 and 205 lbs which destroys his cred as P4P fighter.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote