HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were and Are the Stajan's, Steen, Coli etc.Really Part of our Future?

Old
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
ugotmybeef*

vCash: 500
Were and Are the Stajan's, Steen, Coli etc.Really Part of our Future?

Question: At one time or another, these guys were counted on the future of the franchise and were supposed to become good players sometime in the future. Many of us thought these guys were the core guys in the future and these guys have potential to be stars. Players like Wellwood and Steen had good rookie seasons but were never ever surpassed their rookie season highs. Now, Wellwood is gone, Steen is still struggling somewhat, Stajan and Coliacavo are now this team's trade bait. What do you think happen to them over the years? Why did we overrate them to be part of the future? It's obvious the future is Kulemin, Pogge, Tlusty, Stralman, Schenn etc.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
SSK*

They were a bit over-hyped in the first place.

I think management has something to do with it as well. Being in "competitive" mode and throwing the vets out there in most situations instead of giving the kids a shot may have hurt them.

SSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Joey Hoser

Colaiacovo just needs to stay healthy and the hype is justified.

Stajan and Steen however, I agree with you. These guys both need to step it up big time this season if they are going to be big parts of this team moving forward. Now their opportunities have arrived and they are being overshadowed by guys like Dominic Moore and even John Mitchell.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:51 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Stajan and Steen however, I agree with you. These guys both need to step it up big time this season if they are going to be big parts of this team moving forward. Now their opportunities have arrived and they are being overshadowed by guys like Dominic Moore and even John Mitchell.
Coli hasn't looked great at all. At times, I called him moron on my Tv and would of let Stralman play instead of that idiot at that time. (just to avoid bashing). He tried to go for big hits, and then got caught out of position many times. He has to be aware of when to do his wreckless plays and how to pick his spots.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:55 PM
SSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Yeah and Fletcher doesn't give a ***** about shakings things up and trading them. He'll do it if they don't improve this year.

SSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Frankie

its funny how all these kids just become regular players. they come with such hype they can't possibly live up to it.

i remember the hype surrounding poni when he first came over. everyone was so excited. he was described as having this tremendous size, strength, and speed. i guess its all true, sort of, but is anyone excited about him anymore? he's just another average player.

alex steen? this guy was going to be an absolute stud. speed and skill coming out of his ears. now? meh. he's ok.

i suspect it will be a similar story to the current crop of rookies. they can't possibly live up to their advanced billings. the excitement and rhetoric is the same, just the names have changed.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Reydin

I mentioned this on the GDT thread last night

What do you think happen to them over the years? Why did we overrate them to be part of the future? It's obvious the future is Kulemin, Pogge, Tlusty, Stralman, Schenn etc.

Nothing happened to them, they are what they are. We Leaf fans over rate all our prospects, case in point your next statement. I mentioned in last night's thread Tlusty is the next Stajan/Steen someone disagreed w/ me. I believe our only blue chip prospect is Schenn and that we should send him back to the juniors after 9 games. Kulemin is promising and needs to be developed properly. Pogge, I still think JFJ traded the wrong goalie and Strallman is very promising as well, looks like a younger Kaberle, however when Kaberle broke in with the Leafs there was a pretty good set of Dmen on the team w/c is probably on par with what we have now and he played top 4 minutes. Strallman being a healthy scratch is not a good sign. He needs to play the next game.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

I don't remember tremendous hype over Poni, no. And who is "everyone"?

There was a bit over Steen, but Steen and hype haven't appeared in the same sentence in years. You're a bit late there.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:17 PM
sgupca

Steen has potiential, but Stajan doesn't. He'd make a super Marlie, but won't ever cut it in the NHL. I've been saying this since we drafted him. I've also been saying that J. Mitchell was his replacement as soon as he was developed!! looks like its time to let Stajan walk

I also think Cola has a great future, as long as he can stay health.

Steen and Cola will be good NHLers

Stajan will be a 3rd-4th line center (at best)

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Ive always hated Poni, even as a rookie

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Question: At one time or another, these guys were counted on the future of the franchise and were supposed to become good players sometime in the future. Many of us thought these guys were the core guys in the future and these guys have potential to be stars. Players like Wellwood and Steen had good rookie seasons but were never ever surpassed their rookie season highs. Now, Wellwood is gone, Steen is still struggling somewhat, Stajan and Coliacavo are now this team's trade bait. What do you think happen to them over the years? Why did we overrate them to be part of the future? It's obvious the future is Kulemin, Pogge, Tlusty, Stralman, Schenn etc.
Supposed to be and supposedly are. At the time they were definitely the top youngsters in our organization BUT it speaks volumes on how thin we were (and still are) in our prospect pool.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post

There was a bit over Steen, but Steen and hype haven't appeared in the same sentence in years. You're a bit late there.
nobody wants to remember. if we remember, it destroys the current hype surrounding our new guys.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:27 PM
bluumax

theyre all still prospects, we're a rebuilding team, its all about giving prospects chances, even if theyve alredy played a few seasons.

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
nobody wants to remember. if we remember, it destroys the current hype surrounding our new guys.
Right, that must be it.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
mooseOAK*

No one expected these guys to shoulder the load, that I know of. None of them were any higher than 20th overall picks. There's almost $10 million of dead cap space that could pay for someone to make their jobs easier.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Bills09

these guys are still very young and are writing these guys off within 2 games of the season.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Saul
S'all Good Man

If they show on ice improvement and consistency in the next two years then yes.
Colaiacovo is pretty close to being a legit peice of the puzzle though.

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Antropovsky

Its hard not to get excited with Steen when you see something like this.

The only problem is, Steen doesn't try anything like this in the NHL. He has no creativity whatsoever, he never cuts towards the middle, all he does is skate along the boards dump it in, then hit the cycle button. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but for us to be successful we have to break the cycle habit, especially from our smaller players (who shouldn't be doing this in the first place).

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Its hard not to get excited with Steen when you see something like this.

The only problem is, Steen doesn't try anything like this in the NHL. He has no creativity whatsoever, he never cuts towards the middle, all he does is skate along the boards dump it in, then hit the cycle button. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but for us to be successful we have to break the cycle habit, especially from our smaller players (who shouldn't be doing this in the first place).
i'd say a bigger problem is that steen now faces nhl-caliber defencemen.

the fact that this video is shown yet again in this thread pretty much shoots down volcanologist's theory that the hype around steen has been dead for years.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Leeroy Jenkins

Steen is still a huge part of this teams future. Sure he hasn't scored as many points as expected, but he's still a very useful players. He's a lock for 40+ points a year, and he doesn't hurt you defensively.

Leeroy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
i'd say a bigger problem is that steen now faces nhl-caliber defencemen.

the fact that this video is shown yet again in this thread pretty much shoots down volcanologist's theory that the hype around steen has been dead for years.
My last post was in response to Rypien...... So it doesn't necessarly shoot down Volcanologists theory.

Quote:
What do you think happen to them over the years? Why did we overrate them to be part of the future? It's obvious the future is Kulemin, Pogge, Tlusty, Stralman, Schenn etc.

I think alot of him being overhyped was because of his rookie season, where he probably outdone himself. 19 of his (rookie) points were on our very strong PP (I think we were #2 in the league?) where he played with the likes of Sundin/Allison/Kaberle/Mccabe. Other than that, if you watch the video, none of his goals/points were anything sensational. Alot were mostly just from odd man rushes, the PP, or getting a gift wrapped pass.

I'd like to see more of 2:09

Edit: Youtube link isn't working... use this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRvQgYXgHSE

Last edited by Antropovsky: 10-12-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old
10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy Jenkins View Post
Steen is still a huge part of this teams future. Sure he hasn't scored as many points as expected, but he's still a very useful players. He's a lock for 40+ points a year, and he doesn't hurt you defensively.
Sums it up perfectly.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Uh...it does? Obviously it was posted to justify in some measure the hype at the time that it existed. That video is from years ago, and it's the only Steen youtube highlight of any reknown that I'm aware of. You can find youtube highlights of any player.

At one time Steen was thought of as a much more skilled offensive player than he actually turned out to be at the NHL level. That is true. But other than possibly a few posters(which never proves anything either way), I haven't seen any "hype" in recent seasons. Steen at his best is an above-average but unremarkable player, and you don't see his best too often.

There are some people who think Steen is still going to get better, but if that's what you call "hype" then your definition is pretty strange.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Steen's rookie year was not built upon.

PM tried to make him into a checker.

I think any rational person would give RW more than a week to get him back on track.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Steen's rookie year was not built upon.

PM tried to make him into a checker.

I think any rational person would give RW more than a week to get him back on track.
Hopefully RW starts putting Steen as a center on the first line with Antropov moving to the wing. IIRC Wilson bumped him up towards the end of the game on Saturday. We'll see what happens against the Blues.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote