HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

5 on 3 Power Play Setup

Old
10-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
5 on 3 Power Play Setup

The only disappointing on-ice thing in a nice win was how they handled the 1:50 or so worth of 5 on 3. Not so much troubling because they didn't score, that happens, but I think because of their set up they didn't even generate much of a chance to score.

Instead of someone parked in front of the net the whole time, I would like to see the person in the middle drift to the high slot occasionally. When this happens the player down low who gets the puck has three options...a player at the point, the player in the high slot, and the player across the crease down low. With two people down low, it just created a logjam in front of the net when a third person also had the puck down low.

Eventually we're going to be in a spot with a 5 on 3 for a lot less time when the game is on the line, and we're going to need a goal to tie or win.

Just a thought in case Tom Renney is reading...

Jersey Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Geddy Lee

What would have been even better during that 5 on 3 would be for them to shoot the puck. How many times did Redden pass up on shots ? At least 4 maybe 5 times and then you have Rozy doing the same on the other point. They were being way to careful...

Shoot the puck... It worked on the wo goals by Voros....

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I was really annoyed that Renney took the Dubinsky line off to put the Gomez line on. I'm hoping that was more of a move to try to jump start a line that hasn't been clicking the past few games.

I would have much rather have had Mara & Girardi at the point to blast the puck while Voros was in front. Also the D have to sit back further, make the PKers move.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:07 AM
zestystrat

Honestly it seemed like they just did not work on this at all so far this year.

I bet this will be addressed soon enough. It was awkward at best IMO.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Too far apart.

They should have collapsed in a little more and stepped in a little closer to the crease.

That'll come. They have a good unit of player out there. Not too concerned with the 5on3,
usually the first one is a little awkward.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The only disappointing on-ice thing in a nice win was how they handled the 1:50 or so worth of 5 on 3. Not so much troubling because they didn't score, that happens, but I think because of their set up they didn't even generate much of a chance to score.

Instead of someone parked in front of the net the whole time, I would like to see the person in the middle drift to the high slot occasionally. When this happens the player down low who gets the puck has three options...a player at the point, the player in the high slot, and the player across the crease down low. With two people down low, it just created a logjam in front of the net when a third person also had the puck down low.

Eventually we're going to be in a spot with a 5 on 3 for a lot less time when the game is on the line, and we're going to need a goal to tie or win.

Just a thought in case Tom Renney is reading...
This is a girl? No girl I know has ever used such acumen.

Btw, they were eating up alot of time off the clock, thats why they were passing so much.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
clmetsfan

It felt weird to see a 5-on-3 fail without seeing Shanahan perched motionless at the top of the slot with his stick cocked.

They better not be as anemic as they were last year with the 2-man advantage

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Geddy Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

they were eating up alot of time off the clock, thats why they were passing so much.
Please tell me you are kidding...

Old
10-14-2008, 11:27 AM
azrok22

Definitely wasn't impressed. On the bright side, if either 5-4s or 5-3s are going to be anemic, better the later.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
that's what they did. when Redden or Rozsival had the puck, Drury would be in front of Brodeur, but when Gomez or Zherdev had it, he would slide out into the slot.

10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
Please tell me you are kidding...
Que?

Old
10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Too far apart.

They should have collapsed in a little more and stepped in a little closer to the crease.

That'll come. They have a good unit of player out there. Not too concerned with the 5on3,
The problem I have with them being collapsed is that it doesn't make the PKers work. The further your guys are apart the more the PKers have to work and then they get tired and you can pass around them like they're nothing. When it's collapsed it's much easier to get a stick in there and breakup the pass because you don't have to move as far from player A to player B. That's the kind of strategy that they were using the past couple of years and I couldn't stand it.

Old
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Btw, they were eating up alot of time off the clock, thats why they were passing so much.
Great point, shooting and scoring a goal would have been terrible. Who wants to go three goals up but leave an extra 50 seconds on the clock?

Not to mention they would STILL have had a 5 on 4, with lots of time to pass some more.

Not too many guys I know use such acumen...

Old
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Didn't we have two 5-on-3's in the preseason and we scored decisively on both?

It was one bad powerplay, I think they were trying too hard to find that perfect pass/shot to get a goal and put the game away. People are getting worked up over nothing since we don't really have much to complain about so far.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Staalwart

Quote:
It's awesome. I wish there were more like this so i could meet one.

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Didn't we have two 5-on-3's in the preseason and we scored decisively on both?

It was one bad powerplay, I think they were trying too hard to find that perfect pass/shot to get a goal and put the game away. People are getting worked up over nothing since we don't really have much to complain about so far.
We're NYers we want perfection even if our record is . You know it's not going to last forever (no team can win every game) and there will be rough patches throughout the season. May as well work on he team's weaknesses and turn them into a strength while things are going good rather than having something more to worry about them when things are going bad.

Old
10-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
We're NYers we want perfection even if our record is . You know it's not going to last forever (no team can win every game) and there will be rough patches throughout the season. May as well work on he team's weaknesses and turn them into a strength while things are going good rather than having something more to worry about them when things are going bad.
I know, we're all skeptics by nature, but I don't think it's a problem. Our PP didn't start off great, but it's certainly getting better.

I would have preferred to see Gomez on the other side with Naslund on the off wing instead of Zherdev.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Great point, shooting and scoring a goal would have been terrible. Who wants to go three goals up but leave an extra 50 seconds on the clock?

Not to mention they would STILL have had a 5 on 4, with lots of time to pass some more.

Not too many guys I know use such acumen...
True, you've been quite the chatterbox since you've arrived, kudos.

Still, it looked to me as if they were passing it way too much, taking off valuable comeback time from the devs. Don't think they need to microscope this sidenote to a game that we won.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Celestial Black

I'm glad that Renny is finally letting Mara shoot the damn puck.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I was really annoyed that Renney took the Dubinsky line off to put the Gomez line on. I'm hoping that was more of a move to try to jump start a line that hasn't been clicking the past few games.

I would have much rather have had Mara & Girardi at the point to blast the puck while Voros was in front. Also the D have to sit back further, make the PKers move.
I agree 100%. I was feeling the same way.

Every PP we had last night, the Gomez line started and everytime, they didn't do squat. With around 50 seconds left on those man advantage attempts, the Dubinsky like came on and we scored.

Maybe it is the money issue.....Renny thinking that b/c Gomez, Drury and Naslund are making over 20 million combined that they automatically deserve that time but it is obvious to me which line is the better one....atleast now.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
I'm glad that Renny is finally letting Mara shoot the damn puck.
huh?

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalwart View Post
It's awesome. I wish there were more like this so i could meet one.
It's simple, you just have to find a girl who grew up with five older brothers and a dad who were all crazed sports fans in general, and Ranger fans in particular. Unfortunately when I was little my brothers would take out their frustrations with losses on me! If you think I'm kidding, you don't have five older brothers...

Unfortunately, I'm taken...by Henrik Lundqvist. He just doesn't know it yet!

I don't pay much attention to pre-season, so it wasn't until recently that I noticed how cute Aaron Voros is too...is he spoken for?

Old
10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Geddy Lee

I thought you were taken by Hank...

Old
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Too far apart.

I thought the same thing, it appeared to me that they were trying to get the Devils to pursue the puck handler & tire them out, they should have just shot the puck & collapsed on the net.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
thesnake

That was a poor 5-3 effort, but the answer isn't always "Shoot the puck"... I wish the MSG crowd would realize this (I wont hold my breath)...

From where I sit those shots that Redden passed up on all would have been blocked. It would have been far worse if they had let up a shorty... I'll trust Redden's instincts and think he made the right choice.

That being said, if the points were being challenged they should have been able to work it down low better... which they didn't do... I'm sure it will get better over time.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote