HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Game 2 - 10/11/08 - Dallas @ Nashville - 7:00 PM Central

Old
10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Stranger

vCash: 500
Game 2 - 10/11/08 - Dallas @ Nashville - 7:00 PM Central

Sorry, I don't have time today for a fancy GDT.

Stars are coming into town after losing 5-4 OT to the Blue Jackets. The Stars were down two late in the third, only to tie the game up and force overtime.

Meanwhile the Predators looked shell shocked last night after getting rocked 5-2 by St.Louis.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
The Stars didnt roll over and die when they were down last night, it was an exciting finish. I still hate Modano.

I think Ellis shuts the door tonight and we pull out a close one!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I expect us to look much better defensively and on the pk today. The offense is going to be inconsistent all year long, but the defense should be there every night. The key for our team is special teams. If we want to make the playoffs, we need to be in the top 10 on the PP and the PK.

10-11-2008, 10:47 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

It's Pekka time!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's Pekka time!
Nope!

Quote:
Dan Ellis will again take the goal tonight as the Predators host Dallas in the home opener at Sommet Center.

Center Radek Bonk and defenseman Kevin Klein are also expected to make their season debuts after being scratched in Friday’s 5-2 loss to St. Louis.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....16/1002/SPORTS

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 02:19 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Then I hope Ellis tore the whole team a new one last night, or tonight's game could get REALLY ugly.

Old
10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
ejoshie

Good luck. Go get a win

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trotz said, and I"m inclined to agree, that aside from the Perron to Tkachuk goal, in which Ellis was somewhat out of position, none of the goals last night were his fault.

We REPEATEDLY left guys wide open on the door step. We were giving them tap-ins. Without Ellis, it could easily have been 7-2, last night. I hope Klein plays over Koistinen tonight, because Ville was flat out horrible yesterday. I also think Suter and Weber would benefit from being split up. For some reason, they never look as good together as they do apart.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I also think Suter and Weber would benefit from being split up. For some reason, they never look as good together as they do apart.
Agreed. Suter has seemingly turned Weber into a 6'2" version of Zidlicky.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Save for last night, I think Suter/Weber play well together. Give them a few more games

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 09:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

As a fan that lives overseas I really like the changes NHL.com has made to their website. Additionally I like that GameCenter has brought it all together in one area so I can listen to either the home or away radio feed as well as see stats and penalties and whatnot. My net speed sadly is not fast enough to be able to watch the games.

That aside, good to see us not giving up as many shots. Here's to a good finish of the game!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 09:32 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

There we go! 2nd PPG by Arnott! Woot!

Old
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

God we suck at scoring on empty nets.

Big win, fewer shots given up, Ellis sounded solid, Arnott with 2G and an A, Dumont with 3A.

Old
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
God we suck at scoring on empty nets.

Big win, fewer shots given up, Ellis sounded solid, Arnott with 2G and an A, Dumont with 3A.

why isnt Hornqvist getting much playing time? I thought he was on the top line?

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard771 View Post
why isnt Hornqvist getting much playing time? I thought he was on the top line?
He is, and he was out there quite a bit.

Jones and Koistinen were scratched. Klein looked FANTASTIC, especially given Hamhuis was thrown out of the game in the first and Klein saw significant PP and PK time.

Dallas's goal came when the defenseman was able to come down low unfettered because Ward lost his footing and tumbled to the ice with no one helping him down and couldn't recover in time to pick up his man. Aside from that, this was a pretty dominant win. We had chance after chance all night, and Turco made some slick saves. Ellis did what he had to, when he had to.

After Ward's mishap, his playing time took a severe tumble. He had just under 10 minutes, second last only to Peverley's 7:37.

Bonk, I'll give credit where it's due...pretty decent game. The Erat Legwand Tootoo line looked pretty good, too.

PK redeemed itself, even the PP looked sharper. Good to quickly get the sour taste out of our mouths from last night.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:03 AM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He is, and he was out there quite a bit.

Jones and Koistinen were scratched. Klein looked FANTASTIC, especially given Hamhuis was thrown out of the game in the first and Klein saw significant PP and PK time.

Dallas's goal came when the defenseman was able to come down low unfettered because Ward lost his footing and tumbled to the ice with no one helping him down and couldn't recover in time to pick up his man. Aside from that, this was a pretty dominant win. We had chance after chance all night, and Turco made some slick saves. Ellis did what he had to, when he had to.

After Ward's mishap, his playing time took a severe tumble. He had just under 10 minutes, second last only to Peverley's 7:37.

Bonk, I'll give credit where it's due...pretty decent game. The Erat Legwand Tootoo line looked pretty good, too.

PK redeemed itself, even the PP looked sharper. Good to quickly get the sour taste out of our mouths from last night.
According to nhl.com he was out there for a whopping 10:02, fourth lowest on the entire team...thats not first or second line minutes, more like third, maybe fourth...I thought he would be a good guy to stand in front of the net on powerplays.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Now for the inevitable question:

Where the #### was that team last night against St. Louis????

Old
10-12-2008, 02:15 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Now for the inevitable question:

Where the #### was that team last night against St. Louis????

I think we all know it's gonna be like it is every year. We suck in a couple games and don't give much effort. Then trotz will talk about it and then they play like a team possesed for a few games and repeat all year. I think it happens to every team except Detroit.

I was surprised to find out tonight that Toots can actually play hockey as well as agitate. Suter and Weber played like "Core" players if you will. Thank god they put in Klein. Much better than Koisty. I don't know about Ward. Good story and all but doesnt seem like NHl level player to me. He can't handle the puck, he isnt a great skater and is slow IMO. Can't see him spending the whole year up here with Tarnasky,Jones,Philstrom,Bonk,Pevs all fighting for spots

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Thought Weber had a much better game tonight. Klein really looked good too. Zanon, not so much. I think Nichol and Fiddler play great together.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Pred303

much more like it. that win was exactly how the preds are going to have to play to be successful this year, tight defense, great pk'ing, solid goaltending, forwards being defensively aware, and us taking care of the puck and limiting turnovers and counterattack options.

when the year is said and done, we might not play a much better defensive game than this one tonight. not only did we limit them to 20 shots, but the really important thing is we limited them to probably less than 6 legitimate scoring chances. STL had that many chances in the 1st period alone night before last.

defensively, cann't say enough about weber and suter's pair last night especially against the dallas top line who they simply shutdown.. but devries, zanon and klein were strong as well.

this is j.p. dumont's team to be honest. he's not going to get you much in an open ice up and down game, he doesn't have the speed to play that type of game exceptionally well.. but he's the guy that makes most things happen once the team is forced into a set piece offense. at times it's easy to think dumont isn't hustling, or that he's a slow skater.. because all of his actions look so deliberate... what it is though, is that dumont simply sees the game better than anyone else we have.. to most players, the game is a million miles an hour.. but to dumont, the game slows down.. last night, all three goals a direct result of dumont calmly looking the situation over, and then making the pass right where it needed to be made..

it's possible if dumont hadn't played last night we lose 1-0.. in fact it's probable that's what would have happened...

good rebound game from a team that is going to have to be resilient this year... last night we saw the type of game this group is going to have to play.. now we need about 44 more just like that one.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Stranger

So we played a tight defensive game. Even more impressive considering Hamhuis missed most of the game due to his fight with Avery. I kept rubbing my eyes at the shot counter.

Arnott impressed me last night and not just his two goals. He raced up the ice to save an icing call late in the second period. He lunged forward and beat the defender to the puck and saved the icing. Yes we get that effort from other players, but Arnott is known as being lazy. Last night it wasn't so and he was rewarded.

Hornqvist is one of those players who once he gets his first, the rest start pouring in. He had a decent game last night and even provided some neutral zone hits.

The team did a decent job of not dumping the puck on the powerplay. You could tell Dallas wanted us to dump the puck in (to Turco obviously) and we finally did a good job of getting the puck in the zone without dumping it, although there is still room for improvement.

Solid outing from the Smithson, Nichol, and Fiddler group. Although when they do have the puck, I'd wish they would play the puck back to our defensemen and crash the net. They were too busy looking to play the man in front and Dallas had that covered all night (except the PP).

Anyway, good rebound from Friday's effort.

Also, major props to the people who put up the "I can see Radulov from my house" banner.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Weber/Suter played very good last night, and Klein was very very active, especially on the PP. I liked what I saw...

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I was pretty disappointed after Friday night's turd of a game, but have to give credit to the guys for buckling down and putting forth a solid effort last night. I especially give a big thumbs up to Arnott leading by example last night. If we can play that way all season, we won't be the wings but we can at least compete for a playoff spot.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Weber/Suter played very good last night, and Klein was very very active, especially on the PP. I liked what I saw...
Klein played well enough to earn a top six spot over Koistenen. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Klein played well enough to earn a top six spot over Koistenen. Hopefully he'll keep it up.
I'll second that-- Klein put in a strong performance.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote