HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers looking at Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 12:04 PM
HockeyIsDiferentHere

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish3579
Why would you have to scout Brian Leetch? Am I missing something, a team in your division and a player that has been in the league for years.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they were scouting someone else who might be packaged with Leetch?

Old
02-27-2004, 12:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
jas thats being unrealistic. they are not giving up gagne. i understand the sedimental attachment to leetch. i feel the same way, but i want to see this franchise get out of the dirt.

if philly offers say Somik, Carter/Richards/ and a # 1 for Leetch and a 3rd we have to take it.
No kidding! That's my point. I'm not saying Leetch shouldn't be traded. But, in order for me personally to even stomach the trading of Leetch to the Flyers, it better be a knock-our-socks-off deal. The are just certain players who have meant too much to this organization that would bother me to see in the uniforms of our rivals. Send him to Detroit, Colorado, Dallas or even Boston or Toronto. I just don't EVER want to see Leetch in a IceHole, Debbie or mutant Halloween uniform.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:13 PM
JR#9*

Philly would have to overpay to get Leetch IMO as well.

Shipping him within the division and to the Flyers no less would have to be just an unbelievable deal to justify it.I don't see it happening.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish3579
Why would you have to scout Brian Leetch? Am I missing something, a team in your division and a player that has been in the league for years.
Because you want to assess his value now...does he have gas left in the tank, is he doing things right on most nights...etc

Old
02-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
jas thats being unrealistic. they are not giving up gagne. i understand the sedimental attachment to leetch. i feel the same way, but i want to see this franchise get out of the dirt.

if philly offers say Somik, Carter/Richards/ and a # 1 for Leetch and a 3rd we have to take it.
No offense, but I think this is just Silly. The guy is 36 yrs old and might play one more year, if there is hockey. That's almost the asking price for Gonchar who is 7 years younger.

I would think that if Sather got Carter, or Richards and a mid pick, he would be close to Philly

But hey, that's just my opinion, and this is Bobby Clarke

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-27-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
No offense, but I think this is just Silly. The guy is 36 yrs old and might play one more year, if there is hockey. That's almost the asking price for Gonchar who is 7 years younger.

I would think that if Sather got Carter, or Richards and a mid pick, he would be close to Philly

I think it's a little optimistic too, but I think it's possible the Rangers could get a good prospect/young player and a 1st rounder based on the demand and what the rumored offers/speculated offers have been.

I think what most people go back to is the Adam Oates trade of a couple of years ago...

Old
02-27-2004, 03:33 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Oy Clarke could repeat another of his trades and send the Rangers Radovan Somik, and two #2's ... in return the Flyers will take your #1 pick ....

... the Philadelphia Flyers are pleased to select: Evgeni Malkin
And with our luck you guys would luck out like that lol.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:49 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I think it's a little optimistic too, but I think it's possible the Rangers could get a good prospect/young player and a 1st rounder based on the demand and what the rumored offers/speculated offers have been.
It all depends on the develoment of a bidding war, which is really all Brooks was saying. If the Flyers join the bidding and the Leafs are interested, and the Devils are interested, and the Stars are interested, the price could really skyrocket.

Not exactly a brilliant insight from Larry.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:14 PM
dedalus

Fatman and the Pooch had Craig Button on today and he said an interesting thing about Leetch. Button said that if he were rebuilding he would keep Leetch, that Leetch was "a Ranger through-and-through," and that you need that type of player around in a rebuilding.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Fatman and the Pooch had Craig Button on today and he said an interesting thing about Leetch. Button said that if he were rebuilding he would keep Leetch, that Leetch was "a Ranger through-and-through," and that you need that type of player around in a rebuilding.
There is a reason why Button is no longer a GM.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I take it you think his point invalid?

Old
02-27-2004, 04:22 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I take it you think his point invalid?
Yes. Now I don't think that Sather should just trade him to trade him, but if he can get good value in return, I think he should deal Leetch.

Sather doesn't have that many chip that can bring back a significant return, Leetch is one that can.

IMO Leetch has 2-3 good years left, if the Rags are serious about re-building, then Leetch will spend his final 9 years or so with no playoff appearances.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer

Bourque and Stevens = Both great at 40.

You put Leetch in that "Mutant Holloween" jersey, and you could see one of the best deals in Philly history. Leetch is a great clutch guy who will excel on a quality team. I could just see Leetch fly through the neutral zone flipping a sick wrister over Brodeurs shoulder sending Philly to the cup finals. Leetch in the playoffs on a team like Philly could be magical. I truly think Leetch is still a top 10 d-man that given the chance can be great in the playoffs. He can give Philly the element they have lacked for years (next to goaltending). If Philly wants the cup this is the type of move that gives them a legitimate shot. If Sather wants Carter and a 1st then it's done. We gave up guys like Weight and Amonte for our cup and ya know what? It was worth it.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:37 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Yes. Now I don't think that Sather should just trade him to trade him, but if he can get good value in return, I think he should deal Leetch.

Sather doesn't have that many chip that can bring back a significant return, Leetch is one that can.

IMO Leetch has 2-3 good years left, if the Rags are serious about re-building, then Leetch will spend his final 9 years or so with no playoff appearances.

Button wasn't talking about what needs to be brought back, however, he was talking about what still needs to be in place for a rebuilding team. He's talking about a philosophy of building not the specifics of the Rangers.

Personally I agree with him. There's much to be said for continuity, and the team for which you yourself root has almost always striven to see itself as a family more than a team. That comes from keeping patriarchs like Leetch around and maintaining a sense of team history.

On the practical side of the equation, there're plenty of assets with which to begin a rebuilding. The Rangers don't need to accomplish it all in one year and so they don't need a massive haul for Kovalev, Nedved, Mirononv, Barnaby, etc. A nice if not a spectacular return from these assets, in addition to their own high picks, should set the stage for a turnaround. The key after that will be in allowing a rebuilding to take its natural course: doing badly and collecting the corresponding high draft picks.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
If Sather wants Carter and a 1st then it's done. We gave up guys like Weight and Amonte for our cup and ya know what? It was worth it.
He'd be lucky to get Carter, let alone Carter and a 1st (which we don't even own).

Old
02-27-2004, 04:43 PM
dvaske

Hate this

Could be Isles-philly at 1-8 or 2-7

Leetch Kills us evy freak'n game. :mad:

Send him west

Old
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
That may be true ... but I agree with him nonetheless. I wouldn't trade him unless we get a ridiculous offer from another team (i.e. Hershel Walker type value - ok, I'm exaggarating slightly).

I just think is you're going to start over, he's the example you want on the team. Not nedved, Hlavac, Poti. You want someone who is dedicated, hard working and loves the team to show the young players what being a Ranger SHOULD be about.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
That may be true ... but I agree with him nonetheless. I wouldn't trade him unless we get a ridiculous offer from another team (i.e. Hershel Walker type value - ok, I'm exaggarating slightly).

I just think is you're going to start over, he's the example you want on the team. Not nedved, Hlavac, Poti. You want someone who is dedicated, hard working and loves the team to show the young players what being a Ranger SHOULD be about.
What a B.S. Post!!!!

We all know Hlavac is the epitome of being a Ranger

Old
02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
He'd be lucky to get Carter, let alone Carter and a 1st (which we don't even own).
Well then he ain't going to Philly and you can enjoy another playoff loss ...

Old
02-27-2004, 05:21 PM
OldBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
We gave up guys like Weight and Amonte for our cup and ya know what? It was worth it.
Well put. I've been battling with myself regarding whether to keep Leetch. Since yesterday though, I've been leaning towards trading him, based solely on the feeling that he's our best chip. And in turn, a successful rebuild can finally start.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:22 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
Well then he ain't going to Philly and you can enjoy another playoff loss ...
Leetch isn't what we need most, so I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him dealt to the Stars.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:17 PM
SouthFlyer82

We don't need Leetch and to give up young talent for him would be stupid IMO. Do I think he would make us better? Yes, but what he adds we already have. His big impact would be on the PP and our PP is already #1 in the NHL. What we need is a big defensemen like (Smith, Witt, Carney) that can match up VS the Thorntons, Hossas, Sundins and they need it even more with Primeau out of the lineup.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:55 AM
John Flyers Fan

Clare on the Flyers interest in Leetch.

Hope he retires a Ranger, but if Glen is looking to deal him we're interested.

Carter, Richards and Pitkanen are untouchable.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8069877.htm

Old
02-29-2004, 08:19 AM
rangers

Is there any chance we could get Gagne for Leetch? Maybe a deal centered around the two of them...

Way off?

Old
02-29-2004, 09:10 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers
Is there any chance we could get Gagne for Leetch? Maybe a deal centered around the two of them...

Way off?
Not a chance. Gagne is on the first line and playing well.

Closed Thread