HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Even If pens get First pick could they keep Ovechkin???

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 03:58 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I find this comment to be worded very strangely. The wealthy teams ARE the financially conscious teams. The guilty party and " financially unconscious teams" are the poor ones.

I do not understand why so many people have a problem getting this.
AHL caliber posters have trouble understanding this.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:03 AM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
AHL caliber posters
What's an AHL caliber poster? Sounds groovy :p

Old
02-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
last five years they have traded or let go most of their top star players, so even if they get Ovechkin how long can they keep him, Ovechkin going to pittsuberg will only mean he'll get loaded off to Rangers in no time, mraybe he'll stay in Pittsuberg for few years, but when they become competetive he'll eventually be traded to rich team with pockets, knowing this, is there any chance Pittsuberg could ever become competetive, should they be even allowed to keep top pick if they get it??
No they shouldn't be allowed to keep it.....Bettman should show up on Draft Day and take it away.....give it to a team more deserving like the Rangers

The team is rebuilding and Ovechkin would be the figurehead of this movement (along with Fleury)....rebuilding teams aren't competitive for the present, but that hardly means they will never be competitive again.....and it certainly doesn't mean they should not be allowed to draft projected superstars in an effort to help improve the team.....the Pens will find a way to sign Ovechkin....their payroll is ridiculously low, and if Mario retires it frees up about 5 mill....the new arena and the CBA are also factors that could help the Penguins....sure the Pens could eventually trade him when he's in his thirties (near the age of most of your examples in another post you made on this thread), but right now he's a teenager....I don't see how that isn't worth drafting him (I also imagine he'd fetch a lot in a deal regardless)....

Old
02-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Habs4ever

You misunderstood me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower 3:16
No they shouldn't be allowed to keep it.....Bettman should show up on Draft Day and take it away.....give it to a team more deserving like the Rangers

The team is rebuilding and Ovechkin would be the figurehead of this movement (along with Fleury)....rebuilding teams aren't competitive for the present, but that hardly means they will never be competitive again.....and it certainly doesn't mean they should not be allowed to draft projected superstars in an effort to help improve the team.....the Pens will find a way to sign Ovechkin....their payroll is ridiculously low, and if Mario retires it frees up about 5 mill....the new arena and the CBA are also factors that could help the Penguins....sure the Pens could eventually trade him when he's in his thirties (near the age of most of your examples in another post you made on this thread), but right now he's a teenager....I don't see how that isn't worth drafting him (I also imagine he'd fetch a lot in a deal regardless)....

I meant they can't keep the star players they draft so whats the worth, if it was that easy to keep their star players, they wouldn't have traded or let go Kovalev, Jagr, Lang for next to nothing. I don't have problem with them drafting star player, but atleast keep what you build, as history shows, they'll likely unload him, once he demands top dollars!!

Old
02-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Habs4ever

You guys really can't see the irony in this it seems!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower 3:16

Penguines keep on drafting star players, but usually other team ends up with those players, when it comes time to contend. I don't like rangers, but thats the harsh truth and gotta live with that!!

Old
02-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
What's an AHL caliber poster? Sounds groovy :p
Well you know someone who thinks "Pittsuberg" has an AHL caliber team with AHL caliber players, AHL caliber fans and last but not least, AHL caliber financial responsability.
What, that doesn't make sense? Indeed, it doesn't and that's where it's groovy.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Kovalev and Lang were not drafted by Pitts so don't bother including them in your arguement.....Jagr wanted a trade and was making 11 million a year......Straka, though a favorite of mine, was not having a good season at all....

Look what Lindros got.....not saying it will happen again, but players move teams. The Penguins are not in a unique situation here......the Oilers eventually had to get rid of Gretzky due to $$ issues....does that mean they should not have drafted him? Sure he left the team, but they had a dynsaty while he was there....

Last edited by Rowsdower: 02-28-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old
02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
PensFan27

Send a message via AIM to PensFan27 Send a message via Yahoo to PensFan27
You guys are acting like Pittsburgh trades away their star players everytime they get them....They traded away thier star players in a movement called "rebuilding". Its not like since the Pens became a team they started trading away propsects. They did it once and now they are trying to get a new young team. And when the team turns into a good team then they will have more money. There are definitly fans in Pittsburgh, 12,000 a game while they were on the big loosing streak. So i am sure when they start developing these youngsters in the NHL much more fans will come. And when they start winning even more fans will come. Just becuase ONCE they traded away all thier stars doesnt mean they do it EVERY year.
Also they have been doing a nice job rebuilding....they have a small salary and a ton of great propsects at G and D, and ovechkin/malkin should make our F prospects among the tops of the league too. A new aerna would help too.

Old
02-28-2004, 06:24 PM
balddog66

Bottom line for the Penguins is, yes they are losing money, but not loads like people tend to think, just that they figure they aren't going anywhere this year or next so why bother paying the high prices for players when it will mean little in the standing or seats.
To think they wouldn't draft Ovechkin or Crosby for that matter because they may make huge bonus money is insane.
Firstly, there's the new CBA, which can only get better for small market teams, I have a feeling Mario will only play two years at the most...chopping his salary from the team, and finally the Pens may know by then that they have a new arena with huge new revenue...or be making their team more attractive to a potential buyer by having star names to go with the sale.

Closed Thread