HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Cherepanov passes away

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2008, 12:08 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
I still can't get over this. RIP Alexei

Old
10-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Rangers2319

vCash: 500
I wouldnt be suprised if jagr hangs up the skates after this.. wasnt his main reason for going over there was to work with alexei?

sooo unreal

Old
10-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Tleve

I was so saddened to hear about this tonight. I remember when I heard the news about Luc - I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I'm sure that you Ranger fans feel the same way tonight. He was way, way too young. Rip Cherry and thoughts and prayers to your family!

When he was a kid, he'd be up at five
Take shots till eight, make the thing drive
Out after school, back on ice
That was his life, he was gonna play in the Big League
The Big League

My boy's gonna play in the Big League
My boy's gonna turn some heads
My boy's gonna knock 'em dead

Never can tell what might come down
Never can tell when you might check out
Just don't know, no you never can tell
So do right to others like you do to yourself
In the Big League

Old
10-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

oh god. I can't even believe this. As a fan, I'm saddened that we'll never get to see what he could've done over here, but what really breaks my heart is thinking about what his teammates, friends, and family must be going through. RIP, Alexei.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:34 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
been without internet all day, but i would be remiss if i didn't give my condolences and thoughts about Alexei. i like most of you here am at an absolute loss of words. truly shocking and sad for so many different reasons. when i heard it was cherepanov my mouth just dropped to the floor and my stomach felt like it got punched in the gut. and when i heard it was jagr who collided with him i felt even sicker. RIP Cherry, you had so much more life to live.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:39 AM
TylerDurden

how does this happen to a 19 year old in great shape, playing professional sports? i just don't get it, it's tough to think about especially with me being a 19 year old as well. It's so hard to think about, it should have been out of a movie and not real life. This one hurts.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:41 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I woke up this morning for work, and put together a change of clothes to bring with me to change after work before I got on the train. In that change of clothes was my Omsk Avangard Cherepanov Jersey. About 4pm, I got a flood of texts saying he died, and I just couldn't believe it, and still can't. I saw the youtube video, and I want to punch a hole in my wall, at the blatant negligance of the KHL. If I'm the Cherepanov Family, I'm suing the KHL FOR EVERY ****ING DOLLAR THEY HAVE. A percentage of the KHL's revenue should go the Cherepanov family for the rest of their lives to repay the emotional damage done. Having lost my mother at a young age, I could only imagine the flip side of the coin, and how much that must hurt, because that is the golden rule. YOUR KIDS SHOULD NOT DIE BEFORE YOU DO.

As for the hockey side of things... the Rangers lose a top prospect, who was an absolute steal at 17th overall. Something like that just doesn't happen often. Top-3 talents don't slide that far down in deep drafts. This was a guy that could have easily been in the Rangers' top-6 this year. With all the success that he's had so far, people don't remember that Brandon Dubinsky was pegged as nothing more than a 3rd line center, and just look at what playing with Jaromir Jagr did for his development. With that being said, think of what it could have done for Alexei, who had far more natural offensive talent and potential than Dubinsky.

I ordered my Cherepanov jersey back in June, and finally recieved it - after all the BS with customs - about a month ago. I haven't been as excited for a prospect to come over in god knows how long, easily one of my favorite young players. So sad to see him go like this. I know it was a little early, but I had him for the 2010 Calder.

Just still can't stomach it. We miss you already Alexei... who knows what could have been.

RIP

Old
10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
KSUpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzz324 View Post
how does this happen to a 19 year old in great shape, playing professional sports? i just don't get it, it's tough to think about especially with me being a 19 year old as well. It's so hard to think about, it should have been out of a movie and not real life. This one hurts.
These freak accidents happen sometime. There are conflicting reports on whether a collision with Jagr occurred. A collision could cause something like this, it has happened in other sports. (Many kids have died after taking a shot to the chest with a baseball)
Sometimes athletes have unknown heart conditions that come out of nowhere. There have been a high school football players from around where I live who have suddenly gone into cardiac arrest during practice.
Sometimes whether someone is in shape or not doesn't have anything to do with it. When genetics come into play, crazy things can happen.

No matter what the cause, a young player was cut down in his prime. But at least he died playing the sport he loved best. Much better going out playing hockey than in some plane crash or car accident. It is just sad to know that maybe if this game were in the US, he may have been saved.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Basszor

My condolences to the Cherepanov family. R.I.P. Kid

Old
10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Wow. Somehow, I hadn't heard about this all day. I was just coming home on the 7 train when I checked the news on my phone. I couldn't believe it.

It's funny how sports bring you close to people you don't know. I think I first understood death when Henri Toivonen was killed when I was 7 years old. It strikes me that I am as old now as he was when he was killed.

On the train home, I thought of Jimmy Davis, a player who had been due to start the season with Watford, my favourite soccer team, who was killed in a car crash at 21. I thought of the tragedy of Roman Lyashenko's suicide. I thought of Stefan Cherneski's story, which still breaks my heart. I thought of the end of Dan Blackburn's career.

For some reason, the death of young Alexei Cherpanov affects me deeply. Perhaps it is the fact that, unlike the others I mentioned, I have followed his career closely since the Rangers drafted him. Perhaps it is the picture of that young face with the wide grin pulling on the Rangers sweater. Perhaps it is because he showed such awesome promise at such a young age. It is incredible to think that someone with such tangible talent can be ripped from this world so suddenly.

Another person I thought about was my friend Paul, who has Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome. Paul is only alive because, as a young health nut, he collapsed off of his bike directly in front of a fire station. Quick-thinking and access to a defibrillator saved his life. Fortune didn't provide such a chance for Alexei Cherepanov.

My thoughts are with his family, his friends and his teammates. Life is a gift, enjoy it and remember those who cannot any longer.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

When I first heard about it earlier today, I was absolutely stunned. This kid looked like he had such a promising future too.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

RIP Alexei.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Slitty

Translated first-hand account portion of the match report from Sovsport: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/307777

...The third period is ending. The game clock reads 17:35. Omsk is losing 4-5. The referee suddenly stops the game, and everyone skates over to Avangard's bench. There the visitors' forward Alexei Cherepanov is lying on the floor, with the rest of the players and coaches crowding around him. The Vityaz players skate over to the bench. Hockey has ended. The doctor brings smelling salt to Cherepanov's nose in an attempt to revive him. Useless. Nobody can understand anything, what happened. For three minutes the doctors work on Alexei. The young lad repeatedly regains consciousness then passes out again.

-Where is the ambulance?! - yells someone from Omsk's camp.

Someone runs to get the ambulance, but it's not there.

It is called. It will arrive only in 15 minutes...

Cherepanov is carried away on arms [difficult translation - that is, without a stretcher]. Jaromir Jagr removes his helmet and gloves, runs to the dressing room and from there, already without his skates, speeds off to the doctors office, where on a bed lies his comrade without breathing. The game has ended for the Czech.

-"He was sitting on the bench and suddenly started drifting." - there is no face [Russian expression] on Vityaz head coach Sergei Gomoyako. Now nobody is thinking about the post-game press conference. What horror...

-"Five times he would regain consciousness and pass out again, and then wasn't responsive anymore." - tell the cameramen who were near Omsk's bench.

The ambulance arrives five minutes after the end of the game. The batteries of the defibrillator turn out to be uncharged.

-"Bloody village!" - cries Omsk's team video director. "How long must we wait for them!?" [this was a road game for Avangard Omsk, played in the small town of Chekhov]

On the street Jagr is stranding by the life support ambulance still in his uniform.

-"He was sitting next to me and suddenly started drifting." through tears says Jagr.
What happened to him?
-"His heart stopped..."

Understanding that he can't help in any way, the great Czech walks over to the side, and lowering his head, leans against the wall of the arena.

The doctors place Cherepanov on a stretcher. Try to breathe life into the young guy. Do CPR. Useless. Blood starts steaming out of Alexei's nose. The ambulance is surrounded by about two hundred fans. Everyone is silent. Anton Kuryanov, who rushed out onto the street straight from the showers, can't hold back his tears. On his eyes four medical workers carry Alexei into the car. The door closes. The siren is turned on. The life support ambulance speeds off to a Chekhov hospital. The people who witnessed this scene will remain standing by the arena in a stupor for a long time...

-"Lyoshenka [diminutive for Alexei], what is this?!" wails someone from the management of the Siberians [nickname for Avangard, as Omsk is in Siberia] while leaning his head against the wall. This is how the evening in Chekhov ended. At 22:50 [presumably the deadline to submit this article for publishing] nobody could say if Alexei Cherepanov had regained consciousness at the hospital...

Old
10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Translated first-hand account portion of the match report from Sovsport: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/307777

...The third period is ending. The game clock reads 17:35. Omsk is losing 4-5. The referee suddenly stops the game, and everyone skates over to Avangard's bench. There the visitors' forward Alexei Cherepanov is lying on the floor, with the rest of the players and coaches crowding around him. The Vityaz players skate over to the bench. Hockey has ended. The doctor brings smelling salt to Cherepanov's nose in an attempt to revive him. Useless. Nobody can understand anything, what happened. For three minutes the doctors work on Alexei. The young lad repeatedly regains consciousness then passes out again.

Cherepanov is carried away on arms [difficult translation - that is, without a stretcher]. Jaromir Jagr removes his helmet and gloves, runs to the dressing room and from there, already without his skates, speeds off to the doctors office, where on a bed lies his comrade without breathing. The game has ended for the Czech.

-"He was sitting on the bench and suddenly started drifting." - there is no face [Russian expression] on Vityaz head coach Sergei Gomoyako. Now nobody is thinking about the post-game press conference. What horror...

-"Five times he would regain consciousness and pass out again, and then wasn't responsive anymore." - tell the cameramen who were near Omsk's bench.

The ambulance arrives five minutes after the end of the game. The batteries of the defibrillator turn out to be uncharged.

-"Bloody village!" - cries Omsk's team video director. "How long must we wait for them!?" [this was a road game for Avangard Omsk, played in the small town of Chekhov]

On the street Jagr is stranding by the life support ambulance still in his uniform.

-"He was sitting next to me and suddenly started drifting." through tears says Jagr.
What happened to him?
-"His heart stopped..."

Understanding that he can't help in any way, the great Czech walks over to the side, and lowering his head, leans against the wall of the arena.

The doctors place Cherepanov on a stretcher. Try to breathe life into the young guy. Do CPR. Useless. Blood starts steaming out of Alexei's nose. The ambulance is surrounded by about two hundred fans. Everyone is silent. Anton Kuryanov, who rushed out onto the street straight from the showers, can't hold back his tears. On his eyes four medical workers carry Alexei into the car. The door closes. The siren is turned on. The life support ambulance speeds off to a Chekhov hospital. The people who witnessed this scene will remain standing by the arena in a stupor for a long time...

-"Lyoshenka [diminutive for Alexei], what is this?!" wails someone from the management of the Siberians [nickname for Avangard, as Omsk is in Siberia] while leaning his head against the wall. This is how the evening in Chekhov ended. At 22:50 [presumably the deadline to submit this article for publishing] nobody could say if Alexei Cherepanov had regained consciousness at the hospital...
I read through that and I'm crying now. It's not fair.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I read through that and I'm crying now. It's not fair.
You're not the only one crying buddy

I've been crying all day and reading that account only made things worse.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:48 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post

What happened to him?
-"His heart stopped..."

This really makes me so mad! The ineptness of the "small town"

Old
10-14-2008, 01:54 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

thanks for sharing the translation with us, slitty. absolutely heartbreaking to read.

i remember reading lecavalier's accounts of his time in the RSL during the lockout from one of the tampa/st. pete papers. what struck him the most was the dramatic differences between the significant cities/teams -- omsk, moscow, kazan (where he played), etc. -- and the smaller-market teams. the quality of life was much worse in those places in his opinion. that's certainly what popped in my head after seeing the "bloody village" cry from this story.

just can't help but think how things might have been different if this game had been played in omsk. so very depressing.

Old
10-14-2008, 02:01 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
No diffibulators on sight or in arena... same reason why Jiri passed.... Oh wow this cant be happening...
maybe this has been stated already and i missed it but jiri fischer pulled through...because of good medical attention.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...512060386/1040

Old
10-14-2008, 02:10 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i really dont know what to say

Old
10-14-2008, 02:25 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

After reading slitty's translation, it's just that much more frustrating and sad to think about...

After physically seeing someone die in front of me, I can imagine the horror that entire arena went through, especially Alexei's Omsk teammates.

I just can't stand this. It's so tough to swallow it, knowing what he could have been, and imagining him lighting the lamp in the garden, something he would have most likely been doing on a very consistent basis.

To all my friends, present past and beyond
Especially those who weren't with us too long
Life is the most precious thing that you can lose

While you were here the fun was never-ending
Laugh a minute, was only beginning
Alexei Cherepanov, this one's for you...

Old
10-14-2008, 02:33 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I dont know guys...I really don't...

I'm hoping there was no foul play in all of this...I really am...at the same time I wouldn't doubt it....considering the russian/u.s. transfer agreement, and Alex's tenative anouncement that he will come to the NHL.

May your soul rest in peace Alex .

Old
10-14-2008, 02:38 AM
zaius

I was on the train to the game tonight when i heard the news.. REALLY awful stuff. RIP Alexei. My prayers go out to your family. He died doing what he loved.. Lets win the cup for Alexei!!

Old
10-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Frustrating, Aggravating, Disappointing, Ridiculous... All words to describe the so called "medical attention" given to young Alexei, I feel as if I have lost a good friend, someone who my family (Rangers Fans) held so closely to there heart. We here at HF boards are in the position to follow these young athletes so closely that we almost feel as if we are part of there lives, or at least we know almost every detail.

It's so upsetting when someone so young and promising dies, without reaching there potential. You look at your own life, and not only in sports but recently a friend of mine lost a son, He was an amazing young man who did so many things for his community and other people that you do a reality check and think, What have I done?

No reason really to beat yourself up but there are always people who you wish would not have gone and you wonder why they are and you are not. You realize that life is a gift obviously and you realize that with this gift you must do great things.

The amount of support and the number of prayers that have been given by the members of this forum is astonishing. It's absolutely amazing that so many people can band together from this and put aside all differences for just this moment.

I love every single one of you for your compassion to man kind.
You watch the youtube videos of what happened, you read the comments and you feel like puking. There was some goon who said "thank god he wasn't a top 10 pick, what a waste of a pick." Those people my friends will not be skating on the endless pond enjoying time with lost friends and family.

RIP Alexei, I hope to skate alongside you someday.
RIP Logan, We lost a brother but gained an angel.

God Bless my HF Family.

Old
10-14-2008, 03:09 AM
AN

9 oct Cherpanov started blog
http://blog.kp.ru/users/2865414/ (in rus)

Old
10-14-2008, 03:12 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleve View Post
I was so saddened to hear about this tonight. I remember when I heard the news about Luc - I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I'm sure that you Ranger fans feel the same way tonight. He was way, way too young. Rip Cherry and thoughts and prayers to your family!

When he was a kid, he'd be up at five
Take shots till eight, make the thing drive
Out after school, back on ice
That was his life, he was gonna play in the Big League
The Big League

My boy's gonna turn some heads
My boy's gonna knock 'em dead

Never can tell what might come down
Never can tell when you might check out
Just don't know, no you never can tell
So do right to others like you do to yourself
In the Big League

I heard that song for the first time during the Bourdon ceremony. It's really fitting.

God dammit I wish I hadn't read that write-up. I appreciate the translation very much, but ugh...that just made me feel even worse. This still feels like a bad dream.

Old
10-14-2008, 03:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its still ****ing surreal, you almost expect it to be a terrible joke or something. an athlete in the prime years of his life suddenly dying like that and not in a Snyder-Heatley kinda way. Tough to come to grips with **** like that. i mean it would be one thing if he were a fat lardo or whatever, but hes an athlete, one would think they would have screened out any medical problems that would have led to this if it were diagnosable.

Closed Thread