HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier a Rent-A-Player???

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 09:08 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

vCash: 500
Messier a Rent-A-Player???

Many people have talked about Lindros, Barnaby, Simon, Kovalev. But what about Mark Messier for the playoff run? I think he's unrestricted after this season so it would not cost us anymore than the rest of this season. And don't tell me he's too old. We need a real 1st/2nd line scorer!

Old
02-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Darz

If we could add Messier without giving up more than a 4th/5th round pick, I'd love to see the habs add him.
I think he would help in the leadership department and can still play in almost every situation on the ice. Maybe a good fit on the left side.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Dragon

leadership? How come I didn't see it when he was in Canucks dressing room?

Old
02-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Habber

If Messier gets traded, it will only be to a contending team. I can't see him wanting to come to a team that's squeaking in to the playoffs.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
leadership? How come I didn't see it when he was in Canucks dressing room?
Yeah, leader!!!!
Only NHL player to captain two different Stanley Cup winners: 1994 Rangers and 1990 Oilers. Member of five Oilers' teams that won the Stanley Cup. Had a hat trick in Game 6 of the 1994 Conference Finals and the Game 7 game-winner in the Stanley Cup Finals. Two-time winner of Hart Memorial Trophy as regular-season MVP. Won 1984 Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. Twice won Lester B. Pearson Award as NHL's outstanding player. Four-time first-team All Star. Played in 14 NHL All Star games. Entered 2000-01 as NHL's current leader with 627 goals (sixth-best in NHL history), 1,087 assists and 1,714 points. Is NHL's fourth-leading points scorer of all-time. Second all-time in playoff points with 295. All-time leader with 236 playoff games.
If Moose wanted to play here, I'd welcome him with open arms!

Old
02-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienne
Yeah, leader!!!!
Only NHL player to captain two different Stanley Cup winners: 1994 Rangers and 1990 Oilers. Member of five Oilers' teams that won the Stanley Cup. Had a hat trick in Game 6 of the 1994 Conference Finals and the Game 7 game-winner in the Stanley Cup Finals. Two-time winner of Hart Memorial Trophy as regular-season MVP. Won 1984 Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. Twice won Lester B. Pearson Award as NHL's outstanding player. Four-time first-team All Star. Played in 14 NHL All Star games. Entered 2000-01 as NHL's current leader with 627 goals (sixth-best in NHL history), 1,087 assists and 1,714 points. Is NHL's fourth-leading points scorer of all-time. Second all-time in playoff points with 295. All-time leader with 236 playoff games.
If Moose wanted to play here, I'd welcome him with open arms!
Those are history and we are dealing with present and reality. I didn't see leadership since he left Rangers for Vancouver.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:56 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I begin to suspect Messier leadership quality....

If he was really the greatest leader of all-time, why can't he take a team with as much talent as his in the playoffs for 7 years ?

Old
02-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

If he was really the greatest leader of all-time, why can't he take a team with as much talent as his in the playoffs for 7 years ?
I don't care if he's the greatest leader of all time or not. As has been said, it's the here and now that counts! So, he can't motivate that bunch of millionaires in the New York Country Club... well, I believe that he could really motivate the kind of players we have on our team! They're young and look how well they've responded to CJ's guidance so far. They need a real take-charge kind of guy and Moose is that kind of guy! I'm not advocating spending alot to get him or expending ANY of our prospects for him either. But, IF he were to decide Montreal would be a good team for him to finish his career with, then I say Bienvenue a Montreal, Mark!

Old
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Quote:

Rangers have talent, but no Heart or Chemistry. Give a player 5-10 million a year and most players start eating better, drinking good wines, a completely different way of life, not the one that got them that BIG CONTRACT! Put 5-8 of those guys on the same team and it's not going to work unless their true proffesionals

Basically....."NOTHING TO PLAY FOR ANYMORE" Too bad.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Darz

Quote:

The leadership of one player cannot help a team win and lose games. The players that New York has brought in over the past 7-8 years have been some of the worst headcases in the game. Winston Churchill couldn't lead this team anywhere.
Also leadership isn't a one man show. One great leader can't make up for a bunch of hgeadcases.
I'm not saying Messier is the greatest leaders of all time, I just think he would improve our situation.

Last edited by Darz: 02-27-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Jacques Strappe

What's the thought? Put him on the wing with Saks and Zed? Bulis to the 3rd line? Might work. I'd go as high as a 3rd round pick for him and Rangers pay 50% of remaining salary.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
and Rangers pay 50% of remaining salary.
Gotta firgure the remaining salary for this year, at this point would be very low.

Closed Thread