HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Naslund..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
  #26
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,887
vCash: 500
I know its early, and I hate to admit it, but what is with Naslund the past few games?

17, 17, 16, 14, 14 - those are the minutes hes gotten in the last 5 games.

Is there something wrong with him? 14 minutes is not what a top line player should be getting... He had 15 shifts last night. 15. Prucha had 15. Drury had 8 more, and Gomez 9. I'm a little concerned about this. These are the type of minutes a guy like Shanny should have been getting last year.

The thing that worries me the most is, when he finally gets a shift i dont see much of anything from the guy. Not skating, not creating... i dont know what to say. I know his style of play isnt that up-tempo as a Gomez per say. But I saw a lot more activity from him in the first 2 games in Prague then the last 4. That line is non-existent - what happened after those first two games when they dominated? They looked like a totally different line, and it has NOTHING to do with the other team.

Maybe its because they aren't even together half the time... I would put Dawes or Prucha on the top line and see if it gets one of them going and move Naslund to the third with Korpikoski and Cally. Hes playing third line minutes anyway!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
  #27
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
hmmm...

By the end of the game , Prucha was out there with Gomer and Dru.

Problem is , Naslund is a finisher, not a passer or playmaker.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
  #28
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I know its early, and I hate to admit it, but what is with Naslund the past few games?

17, 17, 16, 14, 14 - those are the minutes hes gotten in the last 5 games.

Is there something wrong with him? 14 minutes is not what a top line player should be getting... He had 15 shifts last night. 15. Prucha had 15. Drury had 8 more, and Gomez 9. I'm a little concerned about this. These are the type of minutes a guy like Shanny should have been getting last year.

The thing that worries me the most is, when he finally gets a shift i dont see much of anything from the guy. Not skating, not creating... i dont know what to say. I know his style of play isnt that up-tempo as a Gomez per say. But I saw a lot more activity from him in the first 2 games in Prague then the last 4. That line is non-existent - what happened after those first two games when they dominated? They looked like a totally different line, and it has NOTHING to do with the other team.

Maybe its because they aren't even together half the time... I would put Dawes or Prucha on the top line and see if it gets one of them going and move Naslund to the third with Korpikoski and Cally. Hes playing third line minutes anyway!
And so it begins eh? 4 points in 6 games. But 2 poor games is all it took for the attack dogs to get on Naslund.

Ill be the first one to admit Naslund has been invisible in the last 2 games. Renney needed to send a message and he did so by skipping Naslund for a few shifts last night. He certainly wasn't going to make an example out of "team leaders" Gomez and Drury. Couple that with the fact that Naslund doesnt kill penalties, and that Renney is more committed than ever to rolling 4 lines, and you get slightly less ice time for Markus.

Personally, I think its way too early to be making changes to that line. They should eventually click.

Furthermore, I sure as hell wouldnt banish him to the 3rd line in favor of Prucha or Dawes, who havent done a single thing to deserve that type of opportunity.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
  #29
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And so it begins eh? 4 points in 6 games. But 2 poor games is all it took for the attack dogs to get on Naslund.

Ill be the first one to admit Naslund has been invisible in the last 2 games. Renney needed to send a message and he did so by skipping Naslund for a few shifts last night. He certainly wasn't going to make an example out of "team leaders" Gomez and Drury. Couple that with the fact that Naslund doesnt kill penalties, and that Renney is more committed than ever to rolling 4 lines, and you get slightly less ice time for Markus.

Personally, I think its way too early to be making changes to that line. They should eventually click.

Furthermore, I sure as hell wouldnt banish him to the 3rd line in favor of Prucha or Dawes, who havent done a single thing to deserve that type of opportunity.
hmmm, considering last night, Pru got 2 shots on goal in the 3rd when put on the line, while Nas had no shots till moved off that line....good move by Renney.

Also consider Naslund has 8 shots in 6 games, Prucha has 5 shots in 3 games. Dawes and Nas are both -1 , Prucha is even so far. Gotta give the kid a fair shake.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
  #30
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And so it begins eh? 4 points in 6 games. But 2 poor games is all it took for the attack dogs to get on Naslund.

Ill be the first one to admit Naslund has been invisible in the last 2 games. Renney needed to send a message and he did so by skipping Naslund for a few shifts last night. He certainly wasn't going to make an example out of "team leaders" Gomez and Drury. Couple that with the fact that Naslund doesnt kill penalties, and that Renney is more committed than ever to rolling 4 lines, and you get slightly less ice time for Markus.

Personally, I think its way too early to be making changes to that line. They should eventually click.

Furthermore, I sure as hell wouldnt banish him to the 3rd line in favor of Prucha or Dawes, who havent done a single thing to deserve that type of opportunity.
I was pointing out his ice time mainly, and why he wasn't on the ice as much. The Rangers had 5 powerplays of their own. Yeah they were on the PK alot, but i still think he could have gotten more ice time than Prucha did. He had the same amount of shifts. Im a big fan of Naslunds and im not stating they should move him to the third line, but with those types of minutes hes basically playing a lesser role in the game. If you think it was Renneys way of sending a message, ok.. maybe thats what is what the deal was last night, and rightly so because I didnt see much of anything from him.

I'm all for waiting and seeing if it can click, but the last two games Naslund play has surprised me, but then again so has the entire line if you want to put it that way. Im rooting hard for Naslund though - maybe not now, but if this continues it might be a decent idea to see what he can bring to a second or third line.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
  #31
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

17, 17, 16, 14, 14 - those are the minutes hes gotten in the last 5 games.

Is there something wrong with him?
Renney has said since the trip to Europe that he's conscious of the compressed schedule and it's potential affects on guys who log heavy minutes. That COULD be a reason we've seen a more even TOI distribution.

Prucha hasn't played, so it stands to reason that Renney might throw a little more time at a fresh guy who's being asked to go out and really prove something.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
  #32
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Renney has said since the trip to Europe that he's conscious of the compressed schedule and it's potential affects on guys who log heavy minutes. That COULD be a reason we've seen a more even TOI distribution.

Prucha hasn't played, so it stands to reason that Renney might throw a little more time at a fresh guy who's being asked to go out and really prove something.
Well if thats the case then great, but its kinda news to me that Renney implies this logic. We never saw it before with Shanahan.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 12:27 PM
  #33
FrontRow
 
FrontRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: Croatia
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
the guys has been getting slower and slower, worse and worse as the years come. His minutes reflect what the coaches think of him, add the fact that he doesnt kill penalties. To put it simple, he looks slow out there, he still has the stick skills nad hands, but his skates arent moving the way they should be right now. Orr looks quicker than him.

FrontRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:12 PM
  #34
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Some one call the Prague Police Department and report a missing person, because Markus Naslund didn't make the trip back to NY.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
  #35
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Some one call the Prague Police Department and report a missing person, because Markus Naslund didn't make the trip back to NY.
LOL. Don't count him out yet I still believe he will come back to good form and is capable of potting 20-30. Like another poster said he's a finisher not a set up man he might just need a bounce here or there to get going. Also, Naslund may not be over the hill yet but he is no spring chicken he may need a few more games to get up to speed.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
  #36
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Naslund just doesnt seem to be getting many chances to score since coming back from Europe.
Kinda like Drury, who also hasnt had many scoring chances this season. Seriously, can you think of a time where Dru has been in primed position to score this year?

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
  #37
SickNice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Renney has said since the trip to Europe that he's conscious of the compressed schedule and it's potential affects on guys who log heavy minutes. That COULD be a reason we've seen a more even TOI distribution.

Prucha hasn't played, so it stands to reason that Renney might throw a little more time at a fresh guy who's being asked to go out and really prove something.
I definately agree, and I think its compounded by the entire teams play the past couple games.

I also think that this is what we will get out of Nasland. He is a flashy, but streaky, player. He was fantastic to start the year and was close to having 3 or 4 goals in CZE, but then he has been quite for a few games. I think thats just charecteristic of him as a player.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
  #38
FrontRow
 
FrontRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: Croatia
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
Naslund just doesnt seem to be getting many chances to score since coming back from Europe.
Kinda like Drury, who also hasnt had many scoring chances this season. Seriously, can you think of a time where Dru has been in primed position to score this year?
He had a breakaway against Tampa in the 1st game and put a slapshot right at Smyths chest, he missed a rebound against Jersey....other than that, not anything I could recall...but, still, he has to put himself in a better position to score. The top scorers in this league aren't handed goals, you gotta make plays and no1 on that first line is doing that.

FrontRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:23 PM
  #39
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Did you guys really expect Naslund to be good? Like I said a lot of optomistic fans on these boards. I wasn't expecting much from him, Gomez, or Drury. Drury still hasn't scored a goal. Suprised? I'm not. He has 1 ASSIST in 6 games.

Dubinsky, Zheredev, and Voros will be the line to control on this team. Dubinsky / Zheredev are a few of the only Rangers who have any finish ability.

See how explosive Vanek was against us last night with his ability to put the puck in the net? We don't have that.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
  #40
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
And are you kidding me? Drury hasn't had opportunities? He had TWO GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES against NITTYMAKI and couldn't get the puck past him. He has had other solid scoring chances against Tampa in our opening games too and couldn't put the puck in the net.

And IF he isn't in good scoring positions like you say... Good players create their own opportunities so that isn't much of an excuse.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:31 PM
  #41
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Hmmm.... A few adjectives that describe Naslund include slow, invisible, slow and ahhhh invisible. Shanny could easily do what he does for much cheaper and I would guess that he would have 3-4 goals at this point.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
  #42
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And are you kidding me? Drury hasn't had opportunities? He had TWO GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES against NITTYMAKI and couldn't get the puck past him. He has had other solid scoring chances against Tampa in our opening games too and couldn't put the puck in the net.

And IF he isn't in good scoring positions like you say... Good players create their own opportunities so that isn't much of an excuse.
1st paragraph - On the whole, he hasnt been as much of a threat ( small sample size ) playing wing with Gomer compared to how much of a threat he was centering his own line last year.

2nd part - Totally agree. And thats what I am getting at with both Dru and Naslund. Both are not making consistent, **** after shift impacts and that just wont cut it as a 1st line.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
  #43
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRow View Post
He had a breakaway against Tampa in the 1st game and put a slapshot right at Smyths chest, he missed a rebound against Jersey....other than that, not anything I could recall...but, still, he has to put himself in a better position to score. The top scorers in this league aren't handed goals, you gotta make plays and no1 on that first line is doing that.
Totally agree. Thats what I alluded to in the post just before this one.
Dru has had more of an impact as a PK'er and that is all well and good. But not for a top liner.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:11 PM
  #44
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,449
vCash: 500
Perhaps Renney is concerned about the lack of scoring from his 'top' line and wanted to shake things up, as he understands that it's likely he cannot lean on Dubi's line all season to get it done.

Renney really needs to get Drury going. He's overplaying him again and through six he has one assist. He needs to figure that one out for long term success of this season.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 01:44 AM
  #45
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
were 6 games in give it time they r a VERY new unit

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
  #46
dhabums*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Some one call the Prague Police Department and report a missing person, because Markus Naslund didn't make the trip back to NY.
Wait till you see him in the shootout. Seriously, you'll send him back to Czech.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:25 AM
  #47
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
markus naslund is killing every line he plays on. hes overpassing, and not playing to his strengths.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:50 AM
  #48
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Naslund's play has been ... frustrating to watch. I can tell you, however, that his play this season looks better than it did last year. That's not saying much, I realize.

The first line definitely needs one of those guys to get hot. Part of the problem is that the 2nd line became the de facto 1st line ... everyone's figured that out. So, while the Voros-Dubi-Z line draws some of the defensive priority of opponents away ... the Gomez line has to figure out how to work that to their advantage. (I do know that everyone here believes that Gomer isn't feeling himself lately and I do take that into account.)

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:14 AM
  #49
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
2 observations fram last night (Tor):

- Gomez is definitely starting find his legs and open ice

- Drury reached a tipping point last night late in the third. I think he is pissed and he is going to be going hard to the net frequently. I think he takes the Captain thing very seriously.

Goal tending has been superb and we've been finding a way to win, but clearly we are not firing on all cylinders......yet.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:55 AM
  #50
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
I think more than anything, Naslund needs players that complement him well. He had his best years in Vancouver playing with Bertuzzi and Morrison. Once the Voros - Dubinsky - Zherdev experiment is over (hopefully not soon, but I really don't see that line staying together for the rest of the season), I would try this:

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Dubinsky - Drury
Prucha - Korpedo - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Orr

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.