HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Havlat 2-hands Recchi's face

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 03:17 AM
quat

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
[QUOTE=chicpea]Yes, I think his actual quote was, "Someday someone's going to make him eat lunch...just not my lunch. If that little puke goes NEAR MY LUNCH....!!" QUOTE]

Never never never get between Hitch and his, or anyone elses lunch for that matter.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:20 AM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
hehe, yes I've heard it many times before. It comes from the time when people would also say, "You want a knuckle sandwich?" - notice the food motif here. A lot of ex-goons from that era are overweight due to the lasting psychological effects of all their 'fight talk'
Is this the true origin of the term " food fight "?

Man, I can't stop laughing...

Old
02-27-2004, 03:24 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
He's from the Czech Rep. What do you think..
Yes, Czech Republic native Martin Havlat was wearing a visor....

...And so was Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada native Mark Recchi. Ken Hitchcock said that without the visor, Recchi would have been hurt much worse.

So I ask you, what is your point?

The play was dirty. I would expect Havlat to get a game or two.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:09 AM
Hammerwise

I don't think it matters whther hes european or not. Any player who raises his stick and does what Havlat did should fall into the McSorley, Neidemeyer category and get a 10-15 game suspension.
Stick swinging like that has no place in this league and should more punishable than most infractions. Do we wait until somebody gets seriously damaged for life or loses an eye? (Berard was an accident on a shot "follow-through").
Just having a Brashear beat the snot out of him is not punishment. The league NEEDS to punish.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:37 AM
Liquidrage*

Him being hooked shoudn't even be in this discussion.

As hot as Recchi, Handzus and LeClair have been the past month and a half, they get hooked and tackled as much as anyone. And they all got hooked plenty in last night's game.

Sure, Recchi was hooking him. Welcome to the NHL.

As was brought up, Havlat got his stick up in last years playoffs cutting open two Flyers. And there were a few more stick incidents that didn't cut anyone.
He was the reason Hitch started spouting off after last year's Game 2.
The Sens backed it up and really handed it to Philly in a tough game 3. But that still doesn't excuse Havlat, who seems to constantly consider his stick a weapon, at all.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:46 AM
sandman08

Quote:
hehe, yes I've heard it many times before. It comes from the time when people would also say, "You want a knuckle sandwich?" - notice the food motif here. A lot of ex-goons from that era are overweight due to the lasting psychological effects of all their 'fight talk'
knuckle sandwiches are old school though
but this "someone is going to make him eat his lunch" thing is new to me

Old
02-27-2004, 07:00 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Team 1200 seemed to think he'll get 3 games so that he misses the next meeting between Ottawa and Philly.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:06 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
This Havlat bashing makes me sick.I'm not saying what Marty did was right.But i'm not standing behind these American goons that hack and slash all the time.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:13 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingRussian
This Havlat bashing makes me sick.I'm not saying what Marty did was right.But i'm not standing behind these American goons that hack and slash all the time.
It's the reputation he's gotten. The stickwork is not cool, and he's gotta stop it sometime. What American goons hack and slash? Show me a single player in the NHL who doesn't hook, hold or slash at least once a game.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:29 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD
It's the reputation he's gotten. The stickwork is not cool, and he's gotta stop it sometime. What American goons hack and slash? Show me a single player in the NHL who doesn't hook, hold or slash at least once a game.
B's fans and Joey Thorton himself will tell you he doesn't. Then watch him water-ski his way through game after game.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Hammerwise

Fact is: it shouldn't matter who the offender is, whether it be Marchment or Havlat, the punishment should be more than a couple of games. If Havlat took out an eye its not more acceptable than if it was done by a player with a reputation like McSorley. The fact: it was intentional and should carry a 10 game suspension at least.
Stick swinging, especially intentional is dangerous to the "victim" but the league as well.

Scott Neidemeyer did the same thing to Peter Worrell a few years back, what did he get?
Marty McSorley got a career ending suspension, (basically).

Old
02-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Thalia

Quote:
heh, his full name is Wade Bloodbank.
Actually, I think his full name is: Wade Suitcase Bloodbank.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Dr Love

I don't think he should have gotten tossed from the game, and I'm a Flyers fan. I don't think he should be suspended either, but since he has a reputation with his stick, I wouldn't be suprized if he is. It was a cheap retaliation, but Recchi didn't miss a shift. If them's the rules, then so be it, but I didn't think it was murder on the ice.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:33 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
Is this the true origin of the term " food fight "?

Man, I can't stop laughing...
you're on a roll.

Regarding Havlat, he's a repeat offender right?(He got a few games for trying to kick Eric Cairns) So I imagine he'll get at least 3 for this one. It's different than Weight's crosscheck on Sedin(Havlat swung at Recchi) and Weight drew blood. From the first replay I saw, it looked like Havlat just punched Recchi in the head. I didn't see another angle, so I'm not sure how bad it was(or could have been since Recchi was wearing a visor). In any case, it was a stupid play by Havlat. Hooking or no hooking, you don't go hitting guys in the head, with glove or stick. Alfredsson and/or Martin better sit him down and have a good talk with him. He could end up seriously hurting someone and also hurt the Sens' chances. He does no good to them sitting in the broadcast booth.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Hammerwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I don't think he should have gotten tossed from the game, and I'm a Flyers fan. I don't think he should be suspended either, but since he has a reputation with his stick, I wouldn't be suprized if he is. It was a cheap retaliation, but Recchi didn't miss a shift. If them's the rules, then so be it, but I didn't think it was murder on the ice.
Dr Love, I agree with 99% of your posts, but if you only punish based on damage, eventually somebody will lose an eye. Sticks get up in the game, but if its intentional and two-handed it just has no place in the game.
Remember how Brashear went into convulsions on the ice after a stick swing to the temple?

Old
02-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
I wish he'd grow up and stop with these stupid retaliation penalties.

I know he has to put with a lot of crap, but so does every other player. It's no excuse for it though, and it hurts the team. He's our best player at the moment, we don't need him sitting out. He should have just dumped the puck in instead. I hoped he learned from the kicking incident, but I guess not quite. I have no problem with his "edge" but he has to learn how to control it and use his frustration in a more positive way. I hate how he's always being hooked and slashed, but this isn't the way to go about solving it.

As for the hit itself, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets suspended, if only by his reputation. Personally I think 5 and a game may have been enough, but either way I don't have a problem with whatever route of action against him is taken (although I'd much prefer it if he's playing).

Hopefully Jacques has a good talk with him and he doesn't do something like this again. We killed off the penalty this time, but if it happens again we might not be so lucky. After all is said and done though, he's still one of my fave players.

*edit* Jacques sat down and talked to him after the game. Good. Now hopefully Havlat gets it through his head that he can't do this kind of thing.

Last edited by Jennifer 19: 02-27-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
"Someday someone's going to make him eat lunch...just not my lunch. If that little puke goes NEAR MY LUNCH....!!"

Old
02-27-2004, 11:00 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Him being hooked shoudn't even be in this discussion.

As hot as Recchi, Handzus and LeClair have been the past month and a half, they get hooked and tackled as much as anyone. And they all got hooked plenty in last night's game.

Sure, Recchi was hooking him. Welcome to the NHL.

As was brought up, Havlat got his stick up in last years playoffs cutting open two Flyers. And there were a few more stick incidents that didn't cut anyone.
He was the reason Hitch started spouting off after last year's Game 2.
The Sens backed it up and really handed it to Philly in a tough game 3. But that still doesn't excuse Havlat, who seems to constantly consider his stick a weapon, at all.
Hooking is absolutely paramount to this discussion.

Leclair was hooking him. Recchi was hooking him. Havlat had enough and retaliated by taking it up a notch. Welcome to the NHL.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise
Dr Love, I agree with 99% of your posts, but if you only punish based on damage, eventually somebody will lose an eye. Sticks get up in the game, but if its intentional and two-handed it just has no place in the game.
Remember how Brashear went into convulsions on the ice after a stick swing to the temple?
I agree you have to stem the tide before the levy breaks (WTF kind of analogy did I just make?!?!). And I guess given Havlat's rep, he won't be given the benefit of the doubt. I'm just trying to not sound like a homer, eering on the side of caution.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:14 AM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Well, I'm a Sens fan and I think he should get suspended. Maybe we should have a flame war as we take sides against our own teams

I don't think that for plays such as this, the severity of the injury should be a factor in determining punishment. For example, if you swing your stick like a baseball bat and hit a guy in the helmet, there should be a long suspension even though the player probably wouldn't feel a thing. You just can't cross check a guy in the face, no matter what. And even though Recchi was not hurt on the play and that I believe Havlat was trying to cross check him in the chest and missed high, he still needs to be suspended.

Combine this incident with his suspension earlier this year and that would indicate a pattern of disrespectful play. If he doesn't get punished, he'll most likely do it again and could injure someone badly. Plus, if the NHL doesn't punish an infraction like this from a player with a history, what message does that send to the goons/enforcers who fart in the vicinity of the Ref and get 10 games? Havlat should get 3 games even though that would suck because he would miss the next Philly game and it was fun watching him dance around Pitkanen all night :p At least this way, he won't get murdered by the Flyers in the next game...

Old
02-27-2004, 11:17 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Hooking is absolutely paramount to this discussion.

Leclair was hooking him. Recchi was hooking him. Havlat had enough and retaliated by taking it up a notch. Welcome to the NHL.
The fact that Havlat was hooked actually makes it worse for him.

If nothing had happened previously you could make a better case for it being an "accident".

Factor in the few tugs on his arm, and it clearly appears to be done out of frustration, which means he meant to hit Recchi.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:21 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
well...I guess we can blame this one on the refs.

If they called the rule book...this incident wouldn't have gottent his far because Recchi would have been in the penalty box before havlat snapped. It's called hooking/obstruction people.

I don't blame havlat for losing it...I blame the refs.

**DISCLAIMER: This post has been brought to you by Super Homer!

Old
02-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. To stick up for Havlat in this case is ridiculous. I called him dirty when he basically did the same thing against the Panthers earlier this year and everyone called me a homer. This guy needs to get the **** beat out of him to make him keep his damn stick under control. Your stick is not a weapon you pansy.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Teezax

Havlat should hope he is in suspension mode against the Flyers on the 5th, because i believe both Brash and Fedoruk will be in the lineup headhunting that little punk.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:32 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The fact that Havlat was hooked actually makes it worse for him.

If nothing had happened previously you could make a better case for it being an "accident".

Factor in the few tugs on his arm, and it clearly appears to be done out of frustration, which means he meant to hit Recchi.

I hope it was obvious! He did do it on purpose.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished. I think it was a dangerous and stupid play on his part, but I don't think he was trying to hit him in the face. I'm just guessing but I think he was just trying to turn and cross check him in the chest but Recchi was bending down and Havlat caught him too high. I think he should be suspended for several games because he needs to get it into his head that he can't do that.

I don't agree with anyone who has posted on here that the constant hooking is irrelevant. The fact that players (on any team in the league) water ski and never get called for it certainly factors in to why we're seeing players take more drastic action - Weight has done it, now Havlat, probably others that I can't think of at this time.

If someone wants to suggest that hooking is a part of the game and players should get used to it then they're not looking at the overall picture. The NHL won't force the refs to call this crap because they want parity, the NHL took out the instigator rule that would probably help lessen some of this hooking/hacking/slashing/interfering crap and they refuse to take real action to address any of it - how is keeping the goalies from playing the puck going to cut down on any of it? It won't and the NHL doesn't care.

Suspending Havlat is like taking cold medicine. You're treating the symptoms but not the cause. The league needs to suspend Havlat and they also need to address the cause. But they won't.

Closed Thread