HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Havlat 2-hands Recchi's face

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Coburnfan05

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
You guarantee it? Did St Louis tell you this himself? You have no idea what he'll do in the future. Would you have ever thought that Doug Weight would have done what he did? Probably not. I'm quite certain that St Louis is quite capable of doing what Havlat did.

Was it dirty? Absolutely but I can't say I'm surprised he did this though. All game the Flyers were slashing at his wrists and the refs called it once. He'd had enough and it wouldn't have mattered who it was who was waterskiing off his back. He just turned and hit the player there - just so happened that it was Recchi. He still shouldn't have done it.

If Havlat is playing in the next Ott/Phi game I don't think he's going to be too scared. In fact, he knows he'll be a target and it'll mean that the Sens will be on plenty of PP's.
Please, weight has used dirty slashes and cheap shots for years. Do not compare him and St.Louis. And yes there are certain players like St.Louis who I agree wouldn't retaliate in that way.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:37 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
If there was no instigator rule the gutless punk Havlet would have had his ass handed to him long ago. Havlet is the biggest coward in the NHL and I hope Brashear gets a hold of him and beats him bloody.
Hmmm... wouldn't that make Brashear a coward by your standard then? After all, a fight between a heavy weight goon and a "star" seems a bit of a missmatch doesn't it?

Nice hyperbole there sport. It was a careless cross check for which he will be punished by the league, and likely whomever wants to run him the next time the teams meet. Hitch is just fanning the flames to try and inspire his team... there is no need for intelligent fans to lose their sense of perspective.

I'd like to add that I doubt there is more than one or two teams in the league that really feel Havlat is a dirty player, so no need to expand beyond reality.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
Hmmm... wouldn't that make Brashear a coward by your standard then? After all, a fight between a heavy weight goon and a "star" seems a bit of a missmatch doesn't it?
No, thats justice, Brashear going after him for no reason makes him a coward.
Quote:
Nice hyperbole there sport. It was a careless cross check
It wasnt careless, it was intentional. He even admitted he meant to hit Recchi.
Quote:
for which he will be punished by the league,
Which is a joke, JR gets 1 game for throwing a water bottle and Havlat gets just 2 for swinging a stick at a players head.
Quote:
I'd like to add that I doubt there is more than one or two teams in the league that really feel Havlat is a dirty player, so no need to expand beyond reality.
Havlat is dirty, he is a stick artist. He sticked 4 Flyers in one game last year including Johnssons 25 stitches.

The good thing about the joke of a suspension if he comes back for the game against Philly. I hope he gets his justice then.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Wasp

Havlat is a dirty player. He adds to the Sens long list of obnoxious, dirty players who will cheap shot and smack talk but never drop the gloves. Next time they play the Flyers, he'll drop like a rag doll and cry for a penalty. Then they'll sic Chara on him.

This is why myself, and so many other hockey fans hate the Senators. They are cocky, arrogant and dirty and never have to be accountable for it. One day, Alfie, Hossie or Havlat will get clocked so hard they won't know what hit them and every Sens fan will be screaming for the NHL to come and save their pretty stars.

P.S. Havlat - If you are angry at a player, the correct thing to do is LEGALLY CHECK THEM OR DROP THE GLOVES. Thanks for your time.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Nice hyperbole there sport. It was a careless cross check for which he will be punished by the league, and likely whomever wants to run him the next time the teams meet. Hitch is just fanning the flames to try and inspire his team... there is no need for intelligent fans to lose their sense of perspective.

Actually it would be an enforcer sticking up for his teams stars. If Havlet wants to play like a tough guy and play careless he is going to take the knuckles. Its called letting the players enforce themselves.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:55 PM
south-sentral

Some of you guys are overreacting, havlat said himself that it wasnt intentional and he got the two games for it so he is paying the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L

Havlat is dirty, he is a stick artist. He sticked 4 Flyers in one game last year including Johnssons 25 stitches.
4 flyers? Nice hyperbole. Havlat gets his front teeth knocked out by Richardson but yet he is the stick artist...oh well he did come back to eliminate the flyers so an eye for an eye..

The flyers just hate him because they cant contain him...as goes with most other teams.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:02 PM
The Hamburglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Havlat is a dirty player. He adds to the Sens long list of obnoxious, dirty players who will cheap shot and smack talk but never drop the gloves. Next time they play the Flyers, he'll drop like a rag doll and cry for a penalty. Then they'll sic Chara on him.

This is why myself, and so many other hockey fans hate the Senators. They are cocky, arrogant and dirty and never have to be accountable for it. One day, Alfie, Hossie or Havlat will get clocked so hard they won't know what hit them and every Sens fan will be screaming for the NHL to come and save their pretty stars.

P.S. Havlat - If you are angry at a player, the correct thing to do is LEGALLY CHECK THEM OR DROP THE GLOVES. Thanks for your time.
Yes and the Sens are also the second coming of the Nazis.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:05 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
4 flyers? Nice hyperbole. Havlat gets his front teeth knocked out by Richardson but yet he is the stick artist...oh well he did come back to eliminate the flyers so an eye for an eye..
Schaefer (or was it Fisher?) was also high-sticked and there was no call. Havlat did indeed get a mouth full of wood. Then he goes back and gets his stick high on another Flyers player (not 4, like whomever said) - there was also no call (the refs probably tried to even it up). Hitch went ballistic, threatening Havlat and saying he was dirty blah, blah blah, also saying that Alfie was also reckless with his stick.

Jacques Martin then had a long talk with Havlat, telling him to keep it up. Like you said, an eye for eye. Hitchcock can say whatever he wants, but threatening Havlat was not the answer.

Quote:
The flyers just hate him because they cant contain him...as goes with most other teams.
Not defending what he did was right (because it wasn't), -- but Havlat had the right to be annoyed with the number of hooks and grabs he receives on a nightly basis.

Responding in a mature way would be nice though. If he wants revenge, either drop the gloves and engage in a fair fight - or walk away and score a goal.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:10 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
Schaefer (or was it Fisher?) was also high-sticked and there was no call. Havlat did indeed get a mouth full of wood. Then he goes back and gets his stick high on another Flyers player (not 4, like whomever said) - there was also no call (the refs probably tried to even it up). Hitch went ballistic, threatening Havlat and saying he was dirty blah, blah blah, also saying that Alfie was also reckless with his stick.
It was the first playoff series against the Flyers so I think Schaef wasn't playing

Quote:
Responding in a mature way would be nice though. If he wants revenge, either drop the gloves and engage in a fair fight - or walk away and score a goal.
He usually does the latter and he better be careful because he is getting a rep for being a dirty player but I like it...more teams will be gunning for him and the sens will just go on more PP's.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
No, the Flyers hate him because he is a cheap shot artist. So much so that he wouldnt look out of place on the Leafs.

You dont see them saying things about other players hard to contain like Naslund, St Louis, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk etc do you?
Thats because the dont repeatedly go round smashing sticks into players faces.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:15 PM
paxtang

Quote:
He usually does the latter and he better be careful because he is getting a rep for being a dirty player but I like it...more teams will be gunning for him and the sens will just go on more PP's.
If that's the way you want to justify being a fan of a gutless puke. Lots of a skilled guys out there, somehow they deal with getting hooked and don't fight with their stick and hide behind the instigator. Havlat=gutless puke.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Not defending what he did was right (because it wasn't), -- but Havlat had the right to be annoyed with the number of hooks and grabs he receives on a nightly basis.
As do all players but you dont see them swinging their sticks at players heads if they get hooked.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:24 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
If that's the way you want to justify being a fan of a gutless puke. Lots of a skilled guys out there, somehow they deal with getting hooked and don't fight with their stick and hide behind the instigator. Havlat=gutless puke.
Well then, like Other Dave, south-sentral and so on, I'll classify myself as the fan of a gutless puke.

Havlat=Ottawa's "gutless puke"

As long as he keeps his anger in check (for most nights), continues scoring goals, --what the hey! Havlat's going to be the greatest "gutless puke" you'll ever find.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Well then, like Other Dave, south-sentral and so on, I'll classify myself as the fan of a gutless puke.

Havlat=Ottawa's "gutless puke"

As long as he keeps his anger in check (for most nights), continues scoring goals, --what the hey! Havlat's going to be the greatest "gutless puke" you'll ever find.
That's great, have fun with that. As long as you are ok with it fine. As I said before, he's a great player. Just don't come *****ing and whining when someone elses gutless puke throws him head first into the boards.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
DJ Spinoza

Havlat is a very talented played and is actually one of my favorites to watch, but this is becoming ridiculous. This is not the first time that Havlat has done something dirty like this.

I hope, for the sake of Havlat and the league, than Martin can have a talk with him and straighten him out. He is one of my favorite players, but if things like this continue, that is will change to was.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:53 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
No, the Flyers hate him because he is a cheap shot artist. So much so that he wouldnt look out of place on the Leafs.

You dont see them saying things about other players hard to contain like Naslund, St Louis, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk etc do you?
Thats because the dont repeatedly go round smashing sticks into players faces.
All those aforementioned names pose threats but Havlat owns the flyers..he creates something against them each time he is on the ice..which just adds fuel to the fire.

Quote:
Justify what? Yes his actions was uncalled for hence the suspension but jeez I've seen even worse attempts and a penalty wasn't even called..Havlat is not a gutless puke he actually sticks up for himself and doesn't take bull from anyone, but sometimes he does cross the line.

.Funny how people used to say that the sens were a soft ,clean-cut team now all of the sudden they are up there with the Leafs.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
All those aforementioned names pose threats but Havlat owns the flyers..he creates something against them each time he is on the ice..which just adds fuel to the fire.

Justify what? Yes his actions was uncalled for hence the suspension but jeez I've seen even worse attempts and a penalty wasn't even called..Havlat is not a gutless puke he actually sticks up for himself and doesn't take bull from anyone, but sometimes he does cross the line.

.Funny how people used to say that the sens were a soft ,clean-cut team now all of the sudden they are up there with the Leafs.
He stands up to others by kicking them in the nads, taking an eye out and crosschecking them in the face....he sure is a mans man

Old
02-27-2004, 04:00 PM
paxtang

[QUOTE=south-

.Funny how people used to say that the sens were a soft ,clean-cut team now all of the sudden they are up there with the Leafs.[/QUOTE]

More rediculousness. The Sens are tougher now then 2 years ago because they signed actual tough players. Havlat being a gutless puke with his stick doesn't somehow make him more tough.

Havlat career fighting majors. 1.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
He stands up to others by kicking them in the nads, taking an eye out and crosschecking them in the face....he sure is a mans man
wtf are you talking about..Since when did Havlat take an eye out? you are delirious,man. And Havlat did not swing his stick in order to crosscheck Recchi he was aiming more for his elbow or something.Recchi wasnt even hurt on the play. It's not like the guy goes out looking for some blood all those incidents happened because Havlat was either being a) slewfooted b) hooked and grabbed or c) used as a zamboni.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
wtf are you talking about..Since when did Havlat take an eye out? you are delirious,man. And Havlat did not swing his stick in order to crosscheck Recchi he was aiming more for his elbow or something.Recchi wasnt even hurt on the play. It's not like the guy goes out looking for some blood all those incidents happened because Havlat was either being a) slewfooted b) hooked and grabbed or c) used as a zamboni.
Exactly south-sentral. If the refs actually called all the hooking and obstruction that was going on for about 20 seconds just before he snapped, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
paxtang

Quote:
More homer crap. Havlat attempted to crosscheck him in the face, and succeeded. Did it destroy Recchi? No, but it doesn't matter. Obviously, it was bad enough to get him kicked out of the game, and then suspended.

Skill players get crap all the team. He was getting hooked. Mabye you are forgetting who was hooking him, Mark Recchi, with 61 points. He gets as much crap as Havlat does any game, and yet somehow manages to deal with it with out using his stick as a weapon. Havlat has been known to use his stick carelessly and in people's opinion being dirty with it, and this is just more proof that Havlat, while a great player, will use his stick as a weapon. Be a man about it and fight.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:24 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Hooking is absolutely paramount to this discussion.

Leclair was hooking him. Recchi was hooking him. Havlat had enough and retaliated by taking it up a notch. Welcome to the NHL.
I'm not really clear on your message, particularly what you mean by "welcome to the NHL." Are you insinuating that LeClair and Recchi should take a message from Havlat's actions? Haven't these guys been around the NHL and hooked much longer than Havlat? What has he done that warrants swinging a stick and hitting somebody's head? What has anybody done that warrants such an action? However, if the treatment a player receives prior to retaliating is used to justify a response, John LeClair should be permitted to discharge small arms. The punishment that guy has taken in his career without retaliating would make Edgar Allen Poe dance and sing like Gene Kelly.

It seems that you're proposing that Recchi received what he deserved. Are you? If so, why should Havlat or any player stop with a stick to the head? Why not just mame Recchi for good?

If I'm misreading you, sorry in advance.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
More homer crap. Havlat attempted to crosscheck him in the face, and succeeded. Did it destroy Recchi? No, but it doesn't matter. Obviously, it was bad enough to get him kicked out of the game, and then suspended.

Skill players get crap all the team. He was getting hooked. Mabye you are forgetting who was hooking him, Mark Recchi, with 61 points. He gets as much crap as Havlat does any game, and yet somehow manages to deal with it with out using his stick as a weapon. Havlat has been known to use his stick carelessly and in people's opinion being dirty with it, and this is just more proof that Havlat, while a great player, will use his stick as a weapon. Be a man about it and fight.
He was not attempting to crosscheck him in the face, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction and he was just looking to get back at Recchi and the Flyers with a harmless slash. It was bad judgement on his part but you make it seem like he carved the guy's eye out. He plays with an edge and at times he jumps over the edge with his carelessness. He is an high-risk high reward player he can score big time goals or take stupid penalties but right now his offensive output far outweighs his shortcomings.

It's not the first time a skilled player committed a 'dirty' act and it definitely wouldn't be the last.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:49 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I'm not really clear on your message, particularly what you mean by "welcome to the NHL." Are you insinuating that LeClair and Recchi should take a message from Havlat's actions? Haven't these guys been around the NHL and hooked much longer than Havlat? What has he done that warrants swinging a stick and hitting somebody's head? What has anybody done that warrants such an action? However, if the treatment a player receives prior to retaliating is used to justify a response, John LeClair should be permitted to discharge small arms. The punishment that guy has taken in his career without retaliating would make Edgar Allen Poe dance and sing like Gene Kelly.

It seems that you're proposing that Recchi received what he deserved. Are you? If so, why should Havlat or any player stop with a stick to the head? Why not just mame Recchi for good?

If I'm misreading you, sorry in advance.
Apology accepted.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
paxtang

Quote:
He was not attempting to crosscheck him in the face, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction and he was just looking to get back at Recchi and the Flyers with a harmless slash. It was bad judgement on his part but you make it seem like he carved the guy's eye out. He plays with an edge and at times he jumps over the edge with his carelessness. He is an high-risk high reward player he can score big time goals or take stupid penalties but right now his offensive output far outweighs his shortcomings.

It's not the first time a skilled player committed a 'dirty' act and it definitely wouldn't be the last.
Just because it was knee jerk doesn't make it nonintentional. How does anything from watching that make you say he just wanted to harmlessly slash Recchi?

It isn't the first time a skill player did a dirty act, and it isn't the first time a a skill player is a gutless puke who feels he can use his stick as a weapon and won't back it up with his fists. That doesn't somehow make him in the right or any less of a punk.

Closed Thread