HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bolts are red, red hot

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Bolts are red, red hot

1 regulation loss in 19 games.

They are 14-1-1-4 in that span.

Wow!

Martin St.Louis is now first place in the NHL in points too, with 74 (tied with Lang, but goes ahead on the virtue of goals scored).

Pretty slick win tonight against a great Toronto squad.

Just thought I'd give this team a bit of 'press' tonight, they are really impressive as of late. Torterella ought to, once again, be at least considered for coach of the year.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM
MoS*

just imagine what they could do with a bonafide #1 defensemen. i am curious as to why the lightnings haven't jumped into the gonchar sweepstakes

Old
02-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Shappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
just imagine what they could do with a bonafide #1 defensemen. i am curious as to why the lightnings haven't jumped into the gonchar sweepstakes
The rumors that I've heard are saying that the team is looking for a top 6 "impact" forward. I loved the Sydor move and I think it addressed a huge need for the team, the defence isn't quite as good as I think it needs to be but Sydor went a long way.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:19 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
Probably because it would take a roster player going the other way and TB has stated publicly that wasn't going to happen.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:53 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Their defense isn't that bad..

Darryl Sydor - Corey Sarich
Pavol Kubina - Dan Boyle
Brad Lukowich - Pratt/Cullimore

Might lack that bonafide #1, but I rather have a quality top 6 without a bonafide start than a thin defense with one.

They could use a crease clearer though, a mean stay at home type. Maybe they should make a push for Witt.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:00 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Henry? Mitchell? Brown?

Old
02-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Their defense isn't that bad..

Darryl Sydor - Corey Sarich
Pavol Kubina - Dan Boyle
Brad Lukowich - Pratt/Cullimore

Might lack that bonafide #1, but I rather have a quality top 6 without a bonafide start than a thin defense with one.

They could use a crease clearer though, a mean stay at home type. Maybe they should make a push for Witt.
Not sure where your getting those pairings, or even the Pratt/Cullimore thing as though Cullimore is a frequent scratch. Cullimore, over the last 3 years, has been our best defensive dman. Hockey News has singled him out as being one of the more underrated dmen in the game multiple times.

In regard to the "lack of a #1 comment," I'd like to introduce you to Pavel Kubina. #1 in the sense that he scores 40+ and is a stalwart defensively, probably no. He is, however, tied for the league lead in goals among dmen with 15, and has been extremely solid in his own end thus far. Physical, and (finally) smart so far.

TB's defense just really compliments each other. There's your goalscorer who can play a big man's defensive game (Kubina), puck movers (Boyle, Sydor), Big physical guys who hit and skate well (Cullimore, Sarich) and Lukowich, who does everything pretty well, but not spectacular.

The breakdown goes like this:

Sarich-Cullimore

They ALWAYS play against the opposition's top line and are on the first PK unit.

Kubina-Sydor

Neither are on the first PP unit, but are together for the 2nd. Both move the puck well and play good defense. 2nd pk unit. Lukowich also finds his way into the PK. Sydor's acquisition has helped tremendously against teams that trap - which was the way to beat TB's speed game.

Lukowich-Boyle

The riverboat gambler duo, both take a ton of chances offensively. It paid off for Boyle last year, with 50+ points. He's not at the pace this year, but when he's out, the transition game suffers. Boyle plays the right point on the first PP unit. (Cory Stillman the left point). Lukowich may be the Bolts most improved dman this year.

Pratt is the clear #7 (played last night because Cullimore had a bruised shoulder. TB's 15th man game lost to injury for the year - unofficial record is 81 for the least) Pratt plays an unspectacular game, but is physical and has almost mastered the simple play.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Sydor trade solidified the defense, and made this team a very real cup contender. I liked it at the time, from that persepective, and I still do. TB has to be one of the best coached teams as well, add that in with a great goaltending tandem, and you have yourself a team that could go very far in the playoffs.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:52 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Henry? Mitchell? Brown?
Is Minny trying to trade away its entire defence?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
And what about Pitkanen? What a horrible trade for the Bolts.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:06 AM
michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
And what about Pitkanen? What a horrible trade for the Bolts.
god, are we really going to go through this again..

Old
02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
god, are we really going to go through this again..
Might want to change your avatar signature.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:50 AM
michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Might want to change your avatar signature.
ohh.. i know.. just been lazy!

Old
02-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Oceanic39*

IMO, the goaltending tandem is the weakest part right now. Grahame is coming off 2 less than stellar games, after 10 or 11 very solid ones. He's never been a PO goaltender before. Khabibulin, usually referred to as All-World, hasn't been the same since he won Defensive Player of the Month in October. In the past few weeks, he's been good for a softie or 2 per game, and only the other night vs. Atlanta did he start making the big save in the late 3rd again. He's been out of focus and inconsistent, but the foundation of his play is so darn good, it doesn't show as much as it could. Khabi's the man down the stretch, but until he stops letting in soft and semi-soft goals, I don't think a lot of Bolt fans have the confidence they once did in him.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:04 PM
#44_delivers

tampa bays awsome
ive been saying for around 3 months there the team id least like to face in the playoffs.
there a very explosive team they have a very good chance at going all the way this year.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Mizral

Do they really need Pitkanen? Frankly, I don't think they do.

The Bolts could very much use a bonefide crease clearing #1 defensemen, but those are hard to come by. Idealy, if the Bolts had more coin, they'd sign Chris Pronger or something one of these years. Since that probobly isn't going to happen, the next best thing I could see is to either draft a young defenseman. Mike Egener looks already to be a great pick, but I doubt he has #1/2 upside.

Actually, I don't think that's their biggest need right now anyways.

The bottom 6 on the Bolts is only 'so-so' as far as I'm concerned. Some improvement there is perhaps where they need the most help. Guys like Andreychuk, Taylor, and Roy are solid guys, and Fedetenko is up and down in the top 6 and bottom 6, but some more physical guys, and perhaps a good agitator (something that the Bolts seem to lack) could be an idea. But this would be only secondary:

This is the biggest issue for the Bolts though, physical play. They really do not have enough of it throughout their lineup. I can see why 'Torts' complains so much about it.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Do they really need Pitkanen? Frankly, I don't think they do.

The bottom 6 on the Bolts is only 'so-so' as far as I'm concerned. Some improvement there is perhaps where they need the most help. Guys like Andreychuk, Taylor, and Roy are solid guys, and Fedetenko is up and down in the top 6 and bottom 6, but some more physical guys, and perhaps a good agitator (something that the Bolts seem to lack) could be an idea. But this would be only secondary:
Agreed. And Roy never plays. I think it's 23 straight games as a healthy scratch now. Ben Clymer can play the agitator role fairly well, but that's a poor man's agitator. Sheldon Keefe is in the minors, but isn't even listed among candidates to come up when the rosters expand.

TB has had a problem with players running Martin St. Louis (who dodges most everything), including getting in his face after the whistle, facewashing and slashing. Chris Dingman had proven you can't hug someone to death, so there's no message there.

Closed Thread