HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4: Oct 14 - Flyers@Penguins - 7:30pm

Old
10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Darth Sidious*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Reverse Homer View Post
Cheap booze, loose women, and sparkling air quality.

Oh, and then there's that lil' something called work too.

haha, I love what I do though, and Beijing is an incredible city. There's another Pens fan here who lives in Shanghai. It's incredible how international us Pens fans get.

Right on. What line of work are you in?

When I was a young pup I lived in South Korea and taught English.

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
But yeah, I can imagine Kid and Cannon on the same team. Canada. Olympics. 2010. Me happy time.
I will be there. I will even sit through a Letang circle-jerk in person if you're around and buying the beer.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
vcx*

Damn, the guy i openly admit to disliking on the Pens scores the GWG in OT. That was hilarious to see...when he scored i yelled out "For crying out loud, it just had to be the one guy i say doesn't deserve top 6 minutes"...lol. 1 game does not mean he's a perfect fit. But he was shooting the puck a lot more today and that was decent.

I won't say i hate the guy but given the options between him and Fedotenko on Sid's wing, i guess i gotta say Dupuis works better. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

I'm not even going to say it was a good game, it was soo freaking sloppy. Talk about defensemen that don't understand that they need to finish their checks and make smart passes rather than bank it off the boards when a flyers player is waiting for it. Soo many sloppy passes and the ice at mellon must've been brutal because it looked like the puck was doing it's best basketball impression.

I thought Goligoski, Scuderi and Orpik played very well on defense above the others. On offense, i still don't like Malkin's inability to use his linemates more often. Is it hard for him and Sid to understand that going through 2 players didn't work the first 3 games, why keep trying it when you can dump and chase or pass it to a player and come up with another way to gain the zone?

They are playing like a team that never made the finals last year. That's what pisses me off, Therrien either lost the reigns on the team for a bit here or he has for good this season. They don't look like they are responding to him and i think that's a large part to do with the players being frustrated that they aren't clicking and the powerplay isn't either. So it's hard to blame the coach 100%, i would lay the blame on him for 40% and the 60% goes to the players. Sloppy as hell tonight, i was surprised the pens won today. Glad they did but surprised they had a hard time against a tired team.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:52 PM
vcx*

Quote:
I will be there. I will even sit through a Letang circle-jerk in person if you're around and buying the beer.
Olympics in my hometown and the chance to see a stacked Canadian team? i would never miss it. I'll be there as well, gotta represent the hometown Vancouver for the Olympics.

Just don't mind the bums, native folks that will riot and blockade anything that has nothing to do with them and horrible roads that were never meant for a big city.

Welcome to Vancouver.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
If I somehow break out of my Zoidberg-esque financial situation and make it to Vancouver, I'll buy the brewskies.

'Til then - jealous.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilencer View Post
Right on. What line of work are you in?

When I was a young pup I lived in South Korea and taught English.
I am a sports agent and Olympic consultant for a sports marketing agency. The past 2 years were pretty much spent on the Beijing Olympics and bringing various sporting events to China.

My job entails chasing Olympics. Next up is therefore Vancouver 2010, then on to London.

Old
10-15-2008, 01:44 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
I am a sports agent and Olympic consultant for a sports marketing agency. The past 2 years were pretty much spent on the Beijing Olympics and bringing various sporting events to China.

My job entails chasing Olympics. Next up is therefore Vancouver 2010, then on to London.
So, will you be moving back to the motherland?

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
So, will you be moving back to the motherland?
You mean after London? I don't know.

In the words of NPH, "I will be where God takes me".

Old
10-15-2008, 06:55 AM

Gotta say that I would love to see Richards and Crosby play together.The only things that I hate about Richards are that he's a Flyer and that he moans more than Crosby but gets no flak for it.

Great game for Scuds, Orpik, GOD and Dupes. After seeing the bottom six play so well for the Pens last year, I'm really happy to see the new 6 win a game for the Pens.

You would think that the Pens would shorten up on that transition pass with Gonch and Whitney out. There is way to much room between players and even the wingers aren't conecting on that pass out of the defensive zone. Even play at the offensive blue line is really bad but I guess thats what happens when players enter the zone with no speed.

He's a Flyer but it was good to see Gagne back and playing well. I've always liked that kid.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Olympics in my hometown and the chance to see a stacked Canadian team? i would never miss it. I'll be there as well, gotta represent the hometown Vancouver for the Olympics.

Just don't mind the bums, native folks that will riot and blockade anything that has nothing to do with them and horrible roads that were never meant for a big city.

Welcome to Vancouver.
Those of us from Pittsburgh will feel right at home while driving then haha

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
Letang and Fedotenko looked awful last night. Loved the hustle of that third line, Talbot and Kennedy were non-stop out there.

Also, was last night's game sold out??

ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Satan sucks bad, but we have an effective third line with Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy. Don't break it up. Just keep throwing Crosby out there with some mix of Dups, Fedadeko and 666 until he figures out how to make it work Hilbert-style.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Satan sucks bad, but we have an effective third line with Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy. Don't break it up. Just keep throwing Crosby out there with some mix of Dups, Fedadeko and 666 until he figures out how to make it work Hilbert-style.
Yeah, I agree. Satan is just brutal. His lack of drive and determination really sticks out on our team. And he's got to give the puck up to Sid early, he's the goal-scorer. He dangles too much for Sid's line. I really don't think it's going to work, but I'd give it a few more games I suppose.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
AquaticBirdman

I personally think that this was a pretty well played game by us overall, and much better than what we saw against Ottawa and New Jersey.

The powerplay still needs to get rolling, but at least they are setting up in the zone and cycling the puck MUCH better than they were before. Malkin still stinks on the point though in my opinion.

One guy that impressed me the most this game was Dupuis, who was doing great things all over the ice! He was great on the back check (as usual), worked his ass off on the forecheck, and took a load of shots on net, including that ne shift were he got 3 shots off on Nittymakki.

What was most refreshing was the fact that these guys were actually SHOOTING THE PUCK instead of always looking for that pretty last pass. I personally think that we could've scored a lot more had it not been for Nittymakki who looked very solid (can't believe I"m actually saying that), and the final score doesn't do justice to how well we actually played offensively.

We do really need to work on holding a lead though. That complete loss of concentration in the last minute of the 2nd period is completely unacceptable to say the least.

Lastly, MAF was solid again, which is always good to see

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Well I do. But you already know that.

Seriously though, I'd trade Staal++ for Richards if the offer is ever remotely possible, and perhaps look to even move Malkin for a ridiculous return on wing and defense.

Can you imagine Sid and Richards on the same team? Somebody get me some toilet paper.

Can't believe that people are already talking about trading Geno and Staal after a few games.

Old
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
I personally think that this was a pretty well played game by us overall, and much better than what we saw against Ottawa and New Jersey.

The powerplay still needs to get rolling, but at least they are setting up in the zone and cycling the puck MUCH better than they were before. Malkin still stinks on the point though in my opinion.

One guy that impressed me the most this game was Dupuis, who was doing great things all over the ice! He was great on the back check (as usual), worked his ass off on the forecheck, and took a load of shots on net, including that ne shift were he got 3 shots off on Nittymakki.

What was most refreshing was the fact that these guys were actually SHOOTING THE PUCK instead of always looking for that pretty last pass. I personally think that we could've scored a lot more had it not been for Nittymakki who looked very solid (can't believe I"m actually saying that), and the final score doesn't do justice to how well we actually played offensively.

We do really need to work on holding a lead though. That complete loss of concentration in the last minute of the 2nd period is completely unacceptable to say the least.

Lastly, MAF was solid again, which is always good to see
I wonder if we were watching the same game or not...

We squeaked by and won this game not because our play was better, but because the Flyers play sucked. The first period was an abomination and the cycling sucked all game long. There were flashes of good play mid way into the 2nd period but it dwindled down into nothing for the duration of the game. We got lucky with this win and the problems that have been hampering this team are still very prevalent and showed no signs of changing...

The only positive is that Fleury is playing a whole lot better these last 2 games and is the reason we got 3 points instead of zero in this last 2 games.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I wonder if we were watching the same game or not...

We squeaked by and won this game not because our play was better, but because the Flyers play sucked. The first period was an abomination and the cycling sucked all game long. There were flashes of good play mid way into the 2nd period but it dwindled down into nothing for the duration of the game. We got lucky with this win and the problems that have been hampering this team are still very prevalent and showed no signs of changing...

The only positive is that Fleury is playing a whole lot better these last 2 games and is the reason we got 3 points instead of zero in this last 2 games.
Well if the Flyers "sucker" then that still means that technically we played better. I'm not saying that the team is playing at the level they should be playing at, but they definitely played better than they did in their first 3 games. In the end, withouth Gonch and Whitney we still managed to outshoot and outplay fully fit Flyer team and get the winning result in the end. In my opinion that says a lot more than getting outshot by the Devils by a 3 to 1 ration in our own building. To me this is an indication that the team is gradually getting better, so try and take whatever positives you can from it.

Old
10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Can't believe that people are already talking about trading Geno and Staal after a few games.
Yeah, there are only a few people in the league that Geno should be mentioned with in trade talks, and Mike Richards is not one of them.

And conversely, a Staal package would not net a Richards.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Yeah, there are only a few people in the league that Geno should be mentioned with in trade talks, and Mike Richards is not one of them.

And conversely, a Staal package would not net a Richards.
I didn't say anything about dealing Geno for Richards.

But for the right package that will improve the team, everyone is tradable. Staal or Geno or MAF are just names and parts. They are all chips if the right deal comes along. It really doesn't matter if it's early or late in the season or whatever.

Old
10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I've always had my suspicions that you were secretly Toby Petersen.
Hey shut up, remember when I got that hattrick?

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Hey shut up, remember when I got that hattrick?
I actually had a hell of a time watching those goals unfold. I was like, "Toby Petersen? Toby ****ing Petersen?"

Blast from the past indeed. Too bad that was pretty much the only point of note in Petersen's time with us.

Old
10-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
The possibility of trading Staal has been discussed since the beginning of the offseason. Trading Malkin would just be stupid, though, since he's going to be the best player in the league once he's done developing.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote