HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The MMA or other martial arts training thread

Old
10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
The MMA or other martial arts training thread

So having posted in the MMA thread for a while now I know there are a fair number of posters here who train MMA, jiu jitsu, striking or some other martial art (including one new poster who's about to make it with the UFC... ) so I figured it'd be good to have a thread for people to discuss techniques, local competitions, advice or anything like that. Kind of like a "Rink" thread for the local MMA fans.

I guess I'll start off -- I've been doing BJJ for about a year now and got my second white belt stripe a month or two ago... up until recently I was only doing it twice a week but I've started training a bit more often in the last month or so. I'm competing for the first time next weekend which is part of the reason I decided to start this thread. The competition I'm entering is a good one to start out in since it has a novice and intermediate white belt category, so I won't be getting thrown in there with four-stripers on the verge of getting their blue belts. Overall I'm really looking forward to it, my main concern is getting stuck on my back and not being able to get up, from side control in particular. I know some basic escapes but when I'm sparring I get pinned there a lot by strong guys, even if they're not all that experienced in BJJ. I'm actually reasonably comfortable defending submissions, with the possible exception of triangle chokes, which are my BJJ bane. There were gi and no-gi divisions, but since I've hardly trained no-gi at all I just went with the gi competition at my weight class (182-194lb) and the open weight... hopefully I don't get crushed by some 240 lb dude.

Anybody who's competed before have general advice? So far I've been told to bring a lot of water and a couple protein bars or something, as well as an iPod since it can take a long time for the matches to actually get started. Also to STAY RELAXED and conserve energy since apparently a lot of guys get the adrenaline going and go full-out for 2 or 3 minutes before gassing out.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Good luck c_k.

'Look forward to hearing how it goes...

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Good luck c_k.

'Look forward to hearing how it goes...
Well, overall it was a good experience though I'm a bit disappointed in my performance.

First fight was in my weight class... the guy shot for a single leg takedown right away and dumped me pretty hard, which surprised me since in the fights I'd watched to that point most guys were standing for a while and jockeying for position. I worked back to guard pretty quickly and tried for a few things (almost swept him once and tried working for a couple of chokes) but didn't get anything. He passed my guard to side control once when I tried a sloppy triangle, but again I worked back to guard really quickly. Almost got another sweep before the match ended, but no luck. So in the end I lost on points since I think he had 5 (three for the initial takedown to side control and two for passing my guard once) and I didn't get any. Anyways the tournament was single elimination so that was it for me in the weight class. The guy who beat me got choked out pretty easily in his next fight, which kind of made me mad because it showed that despite being big and aggressive he was definitely beatable.

I was still signed up in open weight and actually it was kind of funny because only about 6 people bothered to sign up for it, and most were around my size anyways. My first fight there I pulled guard on the guy rather than getting taken down again. I actually came really close to getting an arm triangle choke on him from the bottom (I actually heard him gagging at one point) but somehow he got out (I am still pissed off about this). From that point it was pretty much like my first fight with me trying for sweeps and subs off my back unsuccessfully. However since I had pulled guard that fight rather than being taken down and the other guy never passed me and didn't really do anything except try to grind his forearm down on my throat, I was awarded the win. That was nice, although I was kind of frustrated because he wasn't very good and I really should have been able to at least sweep him and earn some points.

My next fight in open weight I was tired of fighting off my back so I decided to stand and see if I could get a trip takedown or something. This was mistake because I'm not very good at the standup part and the other guy knew what he was doing. While I was trying to decide what I wanted to do he took my back standing and dragged me to the ground, getting mount in the process when I turned into him. I couldn't shake him off of mount and he ended up getting a choke on me and I had to tap.

Silver lining was that as a result of winning my first fight in a division of 6, I qualified for a bronze medal. It was nice though I would have felt better about it had I actually scored points in or finished the one match that I did win. In hindsight I think I was thrown off a bit by the pressure and atmosphere... it seems a lot different from just sparring in the gym when you're in the middle of a mat with bright lights shining down on you, 20 people on the sidelines shouting and adrenaline really pumping. The last guy I fought was pretty good but I think I should have been able to do more against the first two. Anyways now I know some things I need to work on (mostly being able to do stuff off my back) for the next one...

Old
10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Well, overall it was a good experience though I'm a bit disappointed in my performance.

First fight was in my weight class... the guy shot for a single leg takedown right away and dumped me pretty hard, which surprised me since in the fights I'd watched to that point most guys were standing for a while and jockeying for position. I worked back to guard pretty quickly and tried for a few things (almost swept him once and tried working for a couple of chokes) but didn't get anything. He passed my guard to side control once when I tried a sloppy triangle, but again I worked back to guard really quickly. Almost got another sweep before the match ended, but no luck. So in the end I lost on points since I think he had 5 (three for the initial takedown to side control and two for passing my guard once) and I didn't get any. Anyways the tournament was single elimination so that was it for me in the weight class. The guy who beat me got choked out pretty easily in his next fight, which kind of made me mad because it showed that despite being big and aggressive he was definitely beatable.

I was still signed up in open weight and actually it was kind of funny because only about 6 people bothered to sign up for it, and most were around my size anyways. My first fight there I pulled guard on the guy rather than getting taken down again. I actually came really close to getting an arm triangle choke on him from the bottom (I actually heard him gagging at one point) but somehow he got out (I am still pissed off about this). From that point it was pretty much like my first fight with me trying for sweeps and subs off my back unsuccessfully. However since I had pulled guard that fight rather than being taken down and the other guy never passed me and didn't really do anything except try to grind his forearm down on my throat, I was awarded the win. That was nice, although I was kind of frustrated because he wasn't very good and I really should have been able to at least sweep him and earn some points.

My next fight in open weight I was tired of fighting off my back so I decided to stand and see if I could get a trip takedown or something. This was mistake because I'm not very good at the standup part and the other guy knew what he was doing. While I was trying to decide what I wanted to do he took my back standing and dragged me to the ground, getting mount in the process when I turned into him. I couldn't shake him off of mount and he ended up getting a choke on me and I had to tap.

Silver lining was that as a result of winning my first fight in a division of 6, I qualified for a bronze medal. It was nice though I would have felt better about it had I actually scored points in or finished the one match that I did win. In hindsight I think I was thrown off a bit by the pressure and atmosphere... it seems a lot different from just sparring in the gym when you're in the middle of a mat with bright lights shining down on you, 20 people on the sidelines shouting and adrenaline really pumping. The last guy I fought was pretty good but I think I should have been able to do more against the first two. Anyways now I know some things I need to work on (mostly being able to do stuff off my back) for the next one...

Korn,

Props for getting in, props for getting a win!

do you ever want to strike when your grappling, or do you know in your head that you cant?

IMO - I get too angry and would totally want to hammer fist people..

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Classless Goon
Robble Robble

I'm taking up boxing next week. Can't wait. Been hitting the heavybag in my bedroom for months now, so I wanted more. It looks like a decent boxing school too.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
I'm taking up boxing next week. Can't wait. Been hitting the heavybag in my bedroom for months now, so I wanted more. It looks like a decent boxing school too.
I've been interested in getting into boxing for a while now... I'd be interested in hearing about your experience as you go along.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Proby24

I just started boxing again after a 2 year layoff and I had forgotten just how darn tough it is. Having boxed on and off since I was 16 (I'm 30 now), I can't recommend it enough for building fitness, toughness and confidence. There is always alot of camaraderie as well to be found in a boxing gym.

I know it can be a little intimidating to take that first step into the gym, but I can almost guarantee you will find yourself very welcome and make some good mates.

Keep your hands up!

Proby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm training in BJJ now, have been for about 2 months now, usually 3 times a week, but have been off for 2 weeks after my siatica flared up last week. Still on my white belt, about halfway to my first white stripe, but loving it and have a great professor at Bravado Jiu-Jitsu in Woodbridge, Ontario.

I'm hoping this time next year I'll have my blue belt, or will be close to it.

TribalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
I'm training in BJJ now, have been for about 2 months now, usually 3 times a week, but have been off for 2 weeks after my siatica flared up last week. Still on my white belt, about halfway to my first white stripe, but loving it and have a great professor at Bravado Jiu-Jitsu in Woodbridge, Ontario.

I'm hoping this time next year I'll have my blue belt, or will be close to it.
Getting a blue belt in that kind of time period (just over a year) is pretty optimistic. There are some guys at my club on the verge of getting their blue belts at about 16/17 months, but they've basically been training fulltime (5/6 times a week) for most of the time. I've been doing it for about 15 months at about the same rate as you (2/3 times a week) and I got my second stripe about 3 months ago or so. I'm not sure if our club is representative or not, but I think the typical timeline for a blue belt is about 2 years or so unless you're really gifted or training almost every day.

That shouldn't be a discouragement though as long as you feel that your skills are improving. I'm not too concerned about when I get my next stripe or when my belt changes colour because I can still tell week-by-week that my game is getting better. (Most of the time anyways, there's still the odd day where I get tapped 5 or 6 times and feel like a chump )

Old
12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Getting a blue belt in that kind of time period (just over a year) is pretty optimistic. There are some guys at my club on the verge of getting their blue belts at about 16/17 months, but they've basically been training fulltime (5/6 times a week) for most of the time. I've been doing it for about 15 months at about the same rate as you (2/3 times a week) and I got my second stripe about 3 months ago or so. I'm not sure if our club is representative or not, but I think the typical timeline for a blue belt is about 2 years or so unless you're really gifted or training almost every day.

That shouldn't be a discouragement though as long as you feel that your skills are improving. I'm not too concerned about when I get my next stripe or when my belt changes colour because I can still tell week-by-week that my game is getting better. (Most of the time anyways, there's still the odd day where I get tapped 5 or 6 times and feel like a chump )

I'm hoping to get it in that time, but I'm prepared it won't happen - I'm getting married in April, plus taking possession of a condo and still doing school part-time as well as working full time and training, so it'll likely get pushed back. I'm happy to just go to classes for now, and if it takes me 2 or even 3, hey, thats the way it goes - I want to get it when I've earned it

I haven't competed yet, but I make a point to try and roll with guys significantly higher than me - usually 1st or 2nd stripe blue belts, so it forces me to think smart. I've been tapped many times, but I've actually made a couple tap, so I take some pride in that. I haven't done any no-gi training, so I have a few maneuvers I prefer that seem fairly decent. First, I'm a big fan of the peekaboo choke - even the blue belts seem to make the mistake of swinging their heads out, locking it in w/o realizing it. Second, I'm a big fan of the triangle - I'm a bit of a bigger guy girthwise (cardio is what I'm working on), so most guys figure that when I'm stacked up that I don't have mobility.... I like to use that to swing into a triangle since I'm more flexible than one might think. Last, I love the tried and true armbar - usually from a mount, to a triple attack, to the arm.

Still not very strong with a kimura or an umoplata, but those take time. I'm prepared. One thing is for sure, and that's that I'm HOOKED!

TribalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 02:04 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

bumpage

got my second ever tournament on Saturday at Capilano College in Vancouver. I'm doing BJJ at 194 lbs again as well as open weight, and I'm also going to do no-gi for the first time. I've been doing no-gi classes once or twice a week for a couple months now, overall I don't find it that much different than gi yet although I find it's harder to sweep people without sleeves or lapels to grab onto.

Anyways I wasn't entirely happy with how the last tournament went, so my biggest objective in this one is to try to be more relaxed and fight much less conservatively, basically trying not to be so afraid of giving up points and to be more aggressive. I am competing in the 'intermediate' division this time rather than novice so it's definitely going to be a challenge though.

Anyone else doing any grappling, striking or MMA type training lately? My club has started doing a lot of muay thai and MMA classes recently in addition to jiu jitsu, but the grappling is enough for me. (I really don't have much interest doing anything that involves me getting potentially punched in the face... )

Old
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I've been interested in getting into boxing for a while now... I'd be interested in hearing about your experience as you go along.
If you in Edmonton like I think you are then I suggest http://www.panthergym.com/

I just started going to there Boxing lesson twice a week for about a month now and have had nothing but good experances there. It is a great workout and they offer sparing classes once your ready to move above the basics. I have also just done my first Karate lesson there and found the insruction was just like the boxing, very informative and based around you going at your own pace but with encouragement to improve. They also offer kickboxing but i havent had the energy after a boxing class to try it. Yes I sound like a sales man but I am just realy happy with my experance in taking classes there.

colonel_korn > congrats on and good luck on your tournaments

I have taken up boxing and now Karate to improve my health and fitness. And I dont think il compete cause i am adverse to being punched in the face. But learning boxing has given me a new apprcation and intrest in the striking aspect of MMA and K1.

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 04:42 AM
BlueShirts702

Nice thread.

I got my purple belt from Ricardo Calvalcanti (Carlson Gracie) two months ago. I've been training with the Gracie camp since '04. Recently, I was invited to start training at Wanderlei Silva's new gym here in Vegas, but unfortunately, I'm on schedule for a Bankart procedure on my shoulder, due to a stupid moment of Bushido pride while being locked in a Kimura. No-Gi jits, btw.

I've had two amateur bouts, both submission victories. Nothing to hoot or holler about.

Have any of you guys checked out Renzo Gracies place in NY?

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:21 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
Nice thread.

I got my purple belt from Ricardo Calvalcanti (Carlson Gracie) two months ago. I've been training with the Gracie camp since '04. Recently, I was invited to start training at Wanderlei Silva's new gym here in Vegas, but unfortunately, I'm on schedule for a Bankart procedure on my shoulder, due to a stupid moment of Bushido pride while being locked in a Kimura. No-Gi jits, btw.

I've had two amateur bouts, both submission victories. Nothing to hoot or holler about.

Have any of you guys checked out Renzo Gracies place in NY?
Wow, good for you. A purple belt is a pretty huge accomplishment. It still looks a long ways away from where I am right now. Though is it customary to give belts for no-gi jiu jitsu? I thought they didn't really do that.

Anyways my second tournament was a bit disappointing, I ended up having 4 matches (3 gi, one no-gi) and didn't win any. It was kind of silly though, there were only two of us signed up in my weight class for gi, so they merged us with the one above (up to 205), which also only had 2 guys in it. I'm already kind of light for 194 (I came in at about 188) so I was in a class with guys up to 205. Anyways thankfully my first match was against the other guy who registered for my weight class (though he was actually slightly over anyways) and it was pretty competitive, although I eventually lost on points. Then I had to fight a huge guy from my own club for bronze and he crushed me like he usually does in training, so that kinda sucked. I fought him again in open-weight for my third match and he won, but we were the only two people in that division so I got a silver medal for my troubles.

No-gi was fun, there were actually a lot of guys my size and smaller in my division. Unfortunately I only got one match, I tried to jump guillotine on a guy and had him in a bit of trouble but he eventually got out and managed to pass my guard before cranking a really painful americana on me that ended it. My arm's still kinda sore today though I don't think there's any real damage.

Anyways, kinda the same result as last time (though I was in the more experienced division this time)... I really need to work on my game off my back so I can take advantage of the sweep and submission opportunities that I get.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:53 AM
BlueShirts702

I received my purple belt in "sport Jits" but train No-gi at the same time. It's customary to do both in Brazil, and considering my influences, that's the path I have chosen as well.

Open weight fighting in any form is dicey. For the most part, the well trained big guy beats the well trained small guy (GSP vs BJ for example.) I would suggest that you stick at your own weight class if it is possible. It's cool to push yourself against bigger guys, but at the end of the day, it's always nice to compete against your peers and notch some W's and gain some confidence.

I have fought in numerous tournaments and to be honest with you, I hate fighting out of my weight class (I fight at 145-155) I have found that it's great to fight against bigger guys in class and in live sparring sessions, but to do it in live competition? Not for me. Unless i'm getting paid of course. Then all bets are on.

An Americana huh? Not the greatest feeling in the world getting tweaked like that. The worst thing that ever happened to me was getting caught in a D'arce choke. Talk about a surreal feeling. I thought I was going to die. No joke. I've been lucky enough to not get caught in one since.

I think it's really rad that you're competing and testing yourself. There is nothing more electrifying then stepping onto that mat or into that ring and pushing yourself.

Keep us updated!

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote