HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TBN: Tickets for Sabres Games...

Old
10-16-2008, 09:23 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

vCash: 500
TBN: Tickets for Sabres Games...

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/464881.html

"Six of the 40 home games left on the Sabres schedule are virtually sold out, with only single seats left for those games."

"The team still has a total of about 43,000 tickets left... Last year, at this time, the team had about 28,000 tickets left."

"Right now, Id say wed be close to breaking even, maybe even losing a little bit, without the playoffs, Di- Pofisaid."

Overall an interesting read for those posters who are interested in the financial side of the franchise.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/464881.html

"Right now, Id say wed be close to breaking even, maybe even losing a little bit, without the playoffs, DiPofi said.
Thanks for the link gaf. The one thing that wasn't super clear was the above statement. Did DiPofi mean "right now" as in given the tickets that have been sold to date not counting those still to be sold, or anticipating the season being a virtual sell out. I'm thinking the former, not the later, but was wondering what others thought.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
Thanks for the link gaf. The one thing that wasn't super clear was the above statement. Did DiPofi mean "right now" as in given the tickets that have been sold to date not counting those still to be sold, or anticipating the season being a virtual sell out. I'm thinking the former, not the later, but was wondering what others thought.
That's a good question. I personally think he meant with selling out the season they'll break even or take a slight loss. They actually spent above where Regier and Quinn originally said they were willing to go on salaries so I wouldn't be surprised if they take a loss on the regular season. I think Quinn and Regier convinced Golisano that they would make the playoffs this year so he was ok with spending a few million more. Remember at the season opening presser where Golisano said he would eat the microphone if they did not make the playoffs?

In any event, I don't think it's a big deal as long as they are near breaking even. Golisano didn't expect to make money year to year, he just didn't want to be in the red every year. I think that as long as they are not posting a loss he is ok with it, so a small profit or breaking even is fine.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
That's a good question. I personally think he meant with selling out the season they'll break even or take a slight loss. They actually spent above where Regier and Quinn originally said they were willing to go on salaries so I wouldn't be surprised if they take a loss on the regular season. I think Quinn and Regier convinced Golisano that they would make the playoffs this year so he was ok with spending a few million more. Remember at the season opening presser where Golisano said he would eat the microphone if they did not make the playoffs?

In any event, I don't think it's a big deal as long as they are near breaking even. Golisano didn't expect to make money year to year, he just didn't want to be in the red every year. I think that as long as they are not posting a loss he is ok with it, so a small profit or breaking even is fine.
Isn't it also true that the value of the fanchise in general goes up year by year? Even if TG took a slight loss year by year, he could easily sell the franchise for much much more than what he paid and still come out on top?

Seems like the case whenever a franchise is sold. "X owner has sold X team for 175 million dollars, he originally purchased the franchise for a mear 80 million 10 years ago"

I seem to hear quotes like that everytime a franchise is sold...

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure what he meant either.
I assumed it meant based on current sales plus expected further receipts they were going to break even.. (Nice to see them reiterate though that BTG was in it for the long haul)...

I wonder if they include the arena updates as part of the profit/loss this year too.
I cant remember how much they sunk into the arena this season, but they did more upgrades this year. And BTG did include arena upgrades in his overall losses a couple years back.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
joshjull

thanks for the read gaf

Overall they are doing well and thats good to see.

Not to sidetrack things too much but this shows another way the team is hurt by Connolly.

We all know they are spending more than they targeted to spend and wanted trade Max in part because of that.

Connolly or Max's 3.5mil salary this year off the books means a profit.

Golisano must be pulling his hair out everytime he thinks of the money he spends on Connolly for not playing the last couple seasons.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
CrankyJay

Are they talking breaking even in their finances all things considered (such as tv rights, advertising, merchandise sales, concession sales, in addition to ticket sales) or do they mean they'll break even just on ticket sales?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Are they talking breaking even in their finances all things considered (such as tv rights, advertising, merchandise sales, concession sales, in addition to ticket sales) or do they mean they'll break even just on ticket sales?
I think they factor in all revenue streams, not just ticket sales. I have no idea what average ticket price works out to be based on season + individual sales, but say at $50, 18.5K average attendance, 41 games, ticket revenus would be a tad under $38 million. Player salaries are over $50mil, not counting staff, coaching, travel and other expenses, so ticket revenue alone isn't going to come close to covering costs.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote