HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #6 - 10.15.08 | 7:00 PM | MSG(HD) - Buffalo Sabres @ NY Rangers

Old
10-15-2008, 10:32 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
We had an outstanding start. All that matters. Can't win them all.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hey, we're still on pace for 136 points . It's all good.

Either way, the real test is to see how they bounce back on Friday. I don't seem them faltering two games straight, especially at home.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Sounds like I didn't miss much tonight. The top line better start showing up or this team is going nowhere, no I'm not panicking after one loss, but the top line needs to stop going through the motions, stop the fancy passing and just put the puck in the net.

Last edited by Glen Teflon Sather: 10-15-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

so much for 82-0

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
BigE

Hats off to Buffalo tonight - they were better in every facet.

I didn't see the same drive and competitiveness from the Rangers that I did over the course of the previous five. Perhaps the latest swing is getting to them, but it's a little early in the year to be using the schedule as a scapegoat.

Here's to hoping they're one focused practice away from getting back on track.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Hats off to Buffalo tonight - they were better in every facet.

I didn't see the same drive and competitiveness from the Rangers that I did over the course of the previous five. Perhaps the latest swing is getting to them, but it's a little early in the year to be using the schedule as a scapegoat.

Here's to hoping they're one focused practice away from getting back on track.
Its not just the schedule. They played in Russia, and europe. And played a ton of pre-season games. Then what 7 games in 11 days or something? 7 games in 11 days is alot for any team, let alone a team who played the season opener in prauge.

10-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Kind of Blue

Dear Rangers,

Welcome back.

Yours truly,

Earth

... In all seriousness, nothing to freak out about. The team was somewhat tired (somewhat understandably), and had a bit of bad luck, and Buffalo is a decent team, it happens. We have a quality group, they'll get over it, and use it to get better. Its early days, guys.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Its not just the schedule. They played in Russia, and europe. And played a ton of pre-season games. Then what 7 games in 11 days or something? 7 games in 11 days is alot for any team, let alone a team who played the season opener in prauge.
The Rangers played in Russia?

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
couldnt tom change things after we broke the record ?
maybe he didnt wanna be the 1 that broke it lol

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 12:09 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

+1 for Paul Mara

we would of lost the game regardless of his 5 min major. entirely too flat. glad to see him take matters into his own hands with Kaleta. i'm liking this new edgy Mara.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Dubi Doo

Good game boys. It's obvious the fatigue caught up to you. Actually, to be honest, it was a pretty boring game, hehe. What can you expect from a tired team, and another that is dealing with injuries. Either way, I wouldn't want to play your boys in any type of play off situation. You guys scare me! Heres to a good season for both teams! Good luck this year, and I will be rooting for you guys since I still have a soft spot for Drury, Gomez, and Lundqvist! Plus, I love watching you guys beat up on the crummy Isles! Well, this message has drawn on for way too long (), but once again, good Luck!

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 01:25 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Naslund's not even close to doing what we brought him to do...get chances, and put some pucks in the net...

Initial step is to get the chances..he's not even getting those. Like I said from game 1, Naslund has been our worst player thus far-- on the entire team.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 01:39 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Oh yeah, and Betts got his 2nd goal of the season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

its just one game. we lost. were 5-1

but............

we lost ugly. without passion. little effort and we seemed disinterested. we generated nothing. we had 1 shot for nearly 15 minutes of play late 1st- early 2nd. thats um... bad. in addition, we were in our own building and we got owned. bad.

that was not a strong team we played tonite people. buf was without some of their studs and most of their centerman. we were beaten by a weakened sabres team quite easily. at home.

except for hank, mara- who i do not blame at all for this loss, callahan- who continues to play full out everynight and staal who played well, no one stood out.

drury looked lost. naslund hasnt done squat for 5 games. zherdev turned it over all night. prucha did nothing- again.

the defense as a whole didnt play poorly really, dru and redden messed up on that shorty but beyond that we kept shots against low and gave up an own goal.

overall, ugly loss and an uglier effort. forget it and move on.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:05 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post

And to the guy who said he hopes Kaleta would break his neck, go **** yourself. Show a little sensitively esp. after losing a guy in your organization.
Losing a guy in our organization has nothing to do with Kaleta and his diry hit on Mara last year. Mara wanted payback and thats what he did.

Otherwise, boring game but Buffalo out played us.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Losing a guy in our organization has nothing to do with Kaleta and his diry hit on Mara last year. Mara wanted payback and thats what he did.

Otherwise, boring game but Buffalo out played us.
Kaleta's a classless punk, and if he keeps playing that way he's going to get his arse handed to him on a silver platter.

Kudos to Mara. He had to stand up for himself, and he's got more self-control than I would have. If that pos talked to me that way in the scrum afterward, I probably would have put his head through a wall.

We all knew a loss was going to happen. It happened. *shrug* Now the work begins.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:22 AM
beastly115

This is why I miss Avery.

Dubinsky with a big hit on Kaleta then Avery fights Kaleta

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
we lost ugly. without passion. little effort and we seemed disinterested. we generated nothing. we had 1 shot for nearly 15 minutes of play late 1st- early 2nd.
I think it's more a credit to the Buffalo defensive strategy than an indication of the Rangers effort. A lot of shots, and I mean a LOT, were also sent sailing well wide of the net.

You take out the Betts "goal" and the Mara major and it's a very close game. I'm taking that as a fairly good indication of the team's real potential. And as much as loss sucks, I'm ok with losing to a good team, ok with getting this record winning streak off their mind, ok with letting the PK show that it's not too perfect to always try to improve, and just looking forward to Friday.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Naslund's not even close to doing what we brought him to do...get chances, and put some pucks in the net...

Initial step is to get the chances..he's not even getting those. Like I said from game 1, Naslund has been our worst player thus far-- on the entire team.
His game is reliant on a center doing something... So far Gomez has not been good with where he's going with the puck. Once Gomez actually starts playing somewhat decently, something will happen with Naslund.

There is a reason that Naslund and Drury have both been invisible. Gomez has turned into the black hole when the puck goes his way.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Gotta be honest and say the Sabres outplayed the Rangers last night, but you could see early on it wasnt going to be the Rangers night. A lot of missed passes, offsides, botched plays, blocked shots, and not enough creation and dirty work to get some greasy opportunities.

I think it was pretty evident that the Rangers had less legs tonight, and a lot less jump in their game. Whether or not that was a result of the games piling up on them early in not that many nights, or the European trip starting to creep back in, they didnt have their **** last night.

I thought Cally had a good game, but would have loved if he got that one shot off that he fanned on, that might have been a goal. The team game as a whole wasnt that bad, but they had a few brain farts and their powerplay was pressured and didnt have the time to make plays. Gotta give credit to the Sabres and Ruff, he had the play the exact road game they needed last night to pull out the two points.

I know its early, and I hate to admit it, but what is with Naslund? 17, 17, 16, 14, 14 - those are the minutes hes gotten in the last 5 games. Is there something wrong with him? 14 minutes is not what a top line player should be getting... He had 15 shifts last night. 15. Prucha had 15. Drury had 8 more, and Gomez 9. I'm a little concerned about this. These are the type of minutes a guy like Shanny should have been getting last year. The thing that worries me the most is, when he finally gets a shift i dont see much of anything from the guy. Not skating, not creating... i dont know what to say. That line is non-existent - what happened after those first two games when they dominated? They looked like a totally different line, and it has NOTHING to do with the other team. Maybe its because they aren't even together... I would put Dawes or Prucha on the top line and see if it gets one of them going and move Naslund to the third with Korpikoski and Cally. Hes playing third line minutes anyway!

Well, you cant win them all - but I would say that Fridays game against Toronto is an important game early in the season. Toronto is a hard working team that is picked to do squat this year - and these are exactly the type of teams the Rangers have faced at home the past few seasons and laid eggs trying to coast their way through to a victory. Do the right thing after a loss and come out hard and get yourself to 6-1, and then worry about the Stanley Cup Champions the very next night. If they stumble against the Leafs, they could easily wind up 5-3 just like that and erase some of that positive mojo from the quick start, not to mention valuable points they should pick up at home.

Im looking forward to how this team comes out and Friday and i'll be keeping a close eye on a few players, including Naslund.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-16-2008 at 08:46 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:42 AM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

The thing that is funny to me is how Buffalo fans said "Here comes the trap" to me after the Rangers scored their first goal and it was 1-0.

This new Rangers team doesn't trap like I watched the Sabres do for most of the game yesterday when they weren't on the PP.

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
NYROrtsFan

Way to beat the Sabres too is to really out-physical them. The speed they bring is impressive and they have been that way for the last few years. Best way to slow that down is to really drive them in the boards somewhat consistently.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Interesting stuff from Sam:
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/
Would love to see Sabres fans defend the ******* now.

Again, someone needs to end his career.

He's a worthless player who's only intent is to injure people -- and he's PROUD of that fact, which is quite disturbing.

I hope the guy can't see straight for a week after the beating he took.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 08:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Everything in perspective though.

IF the Rangers had entered this game 4-1 and won to make it 5-1, it would be still be considered an awesome start.

The trick is sustaining that. I think this next game at home vs. Toronto is an early season indication of what this team is all about.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Everything in perspective though.

IF the Rangers had entered this game 4-1 and won to make it 5-1, it would be still be considered an awesome start.

The trick is sustaining that. I think this next game at home vs. Toronto is an early season indication of what this team is all about.
I agree. I'm not really that upset by the loss. It's going to happen. I wish our team PLAYED harder, but I won't get into that.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote