HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Flash Hollett: A legit Hall of Famer or a flash in the pan product of WWII?

View Poll Results: Flash Hollet? A legit HHOFer or a product of WWII?
Legit HHOFer, should be in there 7 50.00%
Product of WWII 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
While that is true about every player, I think what Dreakmur is saying is that Hollett's ranking among the league's defensemen in scoring would have likely been the same with or without the war. (and that is more important than the raw totals themselves)
Exactly.

Nobody who went to war would have put up better offensive totals, so, even with the War, he should still be viewed as the best offensive defenseman in the world.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Big Phil

Nice one Dreamkur, I certainly have no bones with that. Now the only thing I have always had reservations about (and I'm the OP who actually supports Hollett) is like another poster said would he have been thought of as a Phil Housley-Mike Green type during his era? If that's the case most of us dismiss Housley from the HHOF. Green on the other hand will likely get in even with his knocks because he'll have some First team all-stars to his name, hard to ignore. Hollett has only one in a relatively weak and depleted War era with another 2nd team all-star in 1943 when most of the NHL was still there.

Is it good enough?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Nice one Dreamkur, I certainly have no bones with that. Now the only thing I have always had reservations about (and I'm the OP who actually supports Hollett) is like another poster said would he have been thought of as a Phil Housley-Mike Green type during his era? If that's the case most of us dismiss Housley from the HHOF. Green on the other hand will likely get in even with his knocks because he'll have some First team all-stars to his name, hard to ignore. Hollett has only one in a relatively weak and depleted War era with another 2nd team all-star in 1943 when most of the NHL was still there.

Is it good enough?
He should be a HHOFer, but I'd e surprised if he ever gets in.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Weztex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
He should be a HHOFer, but I'd e surprised if he ever gets in.
Hollett hasn't been seen as HOF worthy for 62 years now. He rarely has been ranked among the league's best defensemen by people who saw him play. What happened meanwhile that suddenly put him over the top? In 2062, people over here can question Phil Housley's absence from the HOF judging by his stats, while most people in 2010 are aware that he was not elite enough to deserve than recognition. The farther we look at things, the blurrier the picture gets. In sports, revisionism is very misleading.

Weztex is offline   Reply With Quote