HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Overrated Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2015, 12:11 AM
  #1
JS19
Legends Never Die
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Overrated Games

I finished this game over the summer, and it's nothing short of amazing how much I used to think this was the magnum opus of JRPGs. After finishing Persona 3 FES, and seeing how amazing that game was, Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden is extremely overrated. The story is ridiculously stupid, the mystery aspect of the game is even more ridiculous (if you're smart and paid attention during the cutscenes, you'll already know who the killer is before you even reach the climax of the game), the gameplay is braindead compared to P3FES which emphasized strategy. Don't get me started on the social links, which are hit/miss at best, to completely contradicting the character arcs it was setting up. Lastly, the dungeon designs were so boring and braindead to travel through.

The differences are pretty jarring considering that P3FES's social links were tied to the story and its themes. The gameplay made you feel like a jack-of-all-trades considering you had to shift roles to make sure you and your team would survive. The story was fantastic and gets even more amazing when you reach the climax. And most importantly, the Personas actually have significance to the story as far as how it represents the MC, the S.E.E.S. team, and their personal growth (thanks to actually allow character development to take place rather than handing you Persona evolutions like they did in p4). If anything, P3FES to me is the highlight of the Persona series.

What are some games that you were told was amazing/epic/representative of the best that the genre had to offer, but when you actually played it, felt like it was overrated? Or if your experience was like mines, what were some games that you originally played but came to view as overrated as you continued the series?

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:34 AM
  #2
SniperHF
Global Moderator
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 21,049
vCash: 500
San Andreas.

While I'll still acknowledge it as the best of the series to that point (Haven't played IV or V) I did not consider it as much a step up on Vice City as everyone seemed to think it was. Technical improvements aside, some of the grindy mechanics added didn't do anything for me. The map was bigger but a lot of it was pointless. The game lost focus as a result.


Another one along these lines was Warcraft II

Blizzard just didn't have the gameplay down yet but I never understood how this was so popular. The C&C side of the fence was much better at the time despite being more simple. They didn't nail it till Starcraft which improved on virtually every aspect and took a formula with potential to an instant classic.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:38 AM
  #3
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five
 
FieryTherrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Look up. Waaaaaay up
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 456
Persona 3, ironically. And Odin Sphere. There's a reason they're doing a remake with better gameplay.

FieryTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:42 AM
  #4
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
aleshemsky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,797
vCash: 500
Maybe not a popular choice but I really hated twilight princess.

And its not because of the long opening, I've seen people say they absolutely despised it, I loved it. What I hated was being wolf link. It just wasn't fun for me and it took up like half the game.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:43 AM
  #5
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,278
vCash: 50
Melee

I like Smash 64 because of the simplicity of the game. You can teach someone how to play Smash 64 in an afternoon and most people will find it fun after getting the basics of attacking and timing down. Melee added all the elements of complexity like wave dashing and l-cancelling that makes what should fundamentally be a fun and easy game into a super-competitive contest that isn't fun if you aren't winning. Purists that only want to play on Final Destination with weapons off, imo, completely miss the point of Smash.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:46 AM
  #6
FLYLine27
BrassGod
 
FLYLine27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 38,786
vCash: 500
Fallout 4

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:54 AM
  #7
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 64,789
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Melee

I like Smash 64 because of the simplicity of the game. You can teach someone how to play Smash 64 in an afternoon and most people will find it fun after getting the basics of attacking and timing down. Melee added all the elements of complexity like wave dashing and l-cancelling that makes what should fundamentally be a fun and easy game into a super-competitive contest that isn't fun if you aren't winning. Purists that only want to play on Final Destination with weapons off, imo, completely miss the point of Smash.
Oh I know quite a few posters that would love this opinion.

__________________
#vegas2017
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:56 AM
  #8
vdB
Registered User
 
vdB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Call of Duty.

Bring back my classic Socom!

vdB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 12:59 AM
  #9
JS19
Legends Never Die
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Maybe not a popular choice but I really hated twilight princess.

And its not because of the long opening, I've seen people say they absolutely despised it, I loved it. What I hated was being wolf link. It just wasn't fun for me and it took up like half the game.
I find TP overrated too. The N64 games were amazing for just how unique they were (more so Majora's Mask, since Ocarina is for all intents and purposes LttP in 3D form), and to go back to the Ocarina formula took me out of the game, and the story wasn't anything to write home about. But I guess that's what happens when people clamoured for a rehash of Ocarina of Time.

Of the two games, Wind Waker was a hell of a lot better. I still find it amazing how much people will crap on it because it has an animated art style vs. the realistic art style (which IMO dates the game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryBergevin View Post
Persona 3, ironically. And Odin Sphere. There's a reason they're doing a remake with better gameplay.
I'm surprised P3 would be overrated. It has its vocal minority, but nowhere near as plentiful as P4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Melee

I like Smash 64 because of the simplicity of the game. You can teach someone how to play Smash 64 in an afternoon and most people will find it fun after getting the basics of attacking and timing down. Melee added all the elements of complexity like wave dashing and l-cancelling that makes what should fundamentally be a fun and easy game into a super-competitive contest that isn't fun if you aren't winning. Purists that only want to play on Final Destination with weapons off, imo, completely miss the point of Smash.
What if I told you that wavedashing and l-cancelling are technically glitches?

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 01:17 AM
  #10
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 64,789
vCash: 69
The Fallout series as a whole is pretty overrated. Still great games but...i dont see them as the groundbreaking masterpieces other people do.

Titanfall. I know it's not exactly critically acclaimed but it's very shallow overall.

Gran Turismo

Bravely Default. This is a little more niche but it's very well regarded among 3ds players but I ****ing hated it outside of the art and soundtrack. Horrendously repetitive and piss poor dialogue.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: I don't care how much flak I get. Its reputation thrives on nostalgia. I'll concede that it's one of the most influential games of all time but it truly doesn't hold up and when you call it the greatest game of all time that means that the overall package is better than most games ever made and I can't agree with that. I don't even think it's the best LoZ game. Personally I thought Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, and Windwaker were better.

Halo Reach: because I personally feel that Halo 3 was the last truly good Halo game. Reach to me gets a better rep because it was miles better than ODST.

Super Mario Galaxy. That's just a personal thing. I see the argument but I didn't enjoy it.

Five nights at Freddie's. Really no reason for this to be as popular as it is.

Mario Kart double dash. Honestly it's kind of trash after having played Mario Karts DS, 7, and 8. Mario Kart wii wasn't very good. The steering controls were messy.

Pokémon first and third generation: addressing gen 1 there are people who adamantly feel that gen 1 was better than gen 2 which I disagree with. Nostalgia is the only thing it's got going for it versus G/s/c. Generation 3 was just bland overall IMO R/S/E and Fire red and leafgreen as well.

Will add as I think of them


Last edited by DuckJet: 11-16-2015 at 01:28 AM.
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 01:18 AM
  #11
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia
Country: United States
Posts: 39,153
vCash: 500
Bethesda games post Morrowind.

The entire Halo series.

Destiny, if anyone is crazy enough to like that boring grind fest.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 01:57 AM
  #12
The Drop
Registered User
 
The Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,520
vCash: 50
Bloodbourne

far cry

Any assassins creed game.

The Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 01:58 AM
  #13
Leafs at Knight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Leafs at Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 500
GTA, Souls games

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 03:30 AM
  #14
Devourers
Registered User
 
Devourers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,558
vCash: 50
Destiny imo. But I will concede I liked the pvp. The pve was a repetitive boring grind fest and I find it hard to believe how popular it is on HF.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 03:32 AM
  #15
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,432
vCash: 500
Tetris

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 03:35 AM
  #16
SniperHF
Global Moderator
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 21,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
hard to believe how popular it is on HF.
I look at it like this:
Non-shovelware mmo shooters are pretty darn rare.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 03:47 AM
  #17
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia
Country: United States
Posts: 39,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I look at it like this:
Non-shovelware mmo shooters are pretty darn rare.
aka the game itself is terrible but it's the first taste of the skinner box for some.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 05:12 AM
  #18
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,865
vCash: 500
Majora's Mask

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 05:23 AM
  #19
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
aleshemsky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Majora's Mask
I dont know if it is overrated, but the thing a lot of people forget about that game is that it was the classic example of a "buy our $20 guide" book, especially if you were a young kid, which does lose it a lot of points in my mind.

Its just so difficult to progress with the time mechanic, and if you do not stumble upon the scarecrow that gives you the slow down time song (which you HAVE to memorize) the game becomes almost impossible. That and having to wait for specific hours,

yeah, a seriously flawed game for sure but still one of my favorites

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 06:19 AM
  #20
The Jesus*
Fire Benning
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 50
Witcher 3 is probably the most overrated game I've ever seen in my lifetime. Ocarina of Time would probably be 2nd on my list. But a distant 2nd.

The Jesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 08:11 AM
  #21
X66
Registered User
 
X66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 500
This one is easy for me:

Final Fantasy 7
Kingdom Hearts
God of War
Uncharted
Last of Us

Now hear me out, I enjoyed every one of these games/series. I will continue to support the games with purchases because I DO enjoy them.

However, I still find them overrated, especially in the eyes of a casual video-game player.

X66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 08:11 AM
  #22
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
GTA 4. I couldn't stand that game and it was the only one in the series I didn't finish.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 08:37 AM
  #23
irunthepeg
SJQ EPMBOE ‎a
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,400
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
Destiny imo. But I will concede I liked the pvp. The pve was a repetitive boring grind fest and I find it hard to believe how popular it is on HF.
Seems like the consensus at this point. Most people say the same things about the game. Lack of story, grinding and bad weapon balancing.

And yet... I still can't wait to get home and play

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 09:31 AM
  #24
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis
 
Blitzkrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,105
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
I dont know if it is overrated, but the thing a lot of people forget about that game is that it was the classic example of a "buy our $20 guide" book, especially if you were a young kid, which does lose it a lot of points in my mind.

Its just so difficult to progress with the time mechanic, and if you do not stumble upon the scarecrow that gives you the slow down time song (which you HAVE to memorize) the game becomes almost impossible. That and having to wait for specific hours,

yeah, a seriously flawed game for sure but still one of my favorites
Agreed. The nice thing is Nintendo fixed a good amount of these issues with the remake. The Bomber's notebook now tracks all the steps for a quest you've done and tells you if you miss something within the set period for whichever quest. Still a bit of thinking needed, but a lot easier to manage. Plus little stuff like having owl statues act as an actual save point instead of save state. So pissed when i was a kid when my house lost power and my owl save was lost since i couldn't get to another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Maybe not a popular choice but I really hated twilight princess.

And its not because of the long opening, I've seen people say they absolutely despised it, I loved it. What I hated was being wolf link. It just wasn't fun for me and it took up like half the game.
Not overrated, because a lot of people feel the same. The tutorial blows and Wolf Link kills any pacing the game has EXCEPT for in the Arbiter's Grounds even though it's a blatant repaste of the forest temple from OOT. The only people who rate TP high are those who have unhealthy crushed on Midna, lol.

With that being said, i like a lot of the dungeons in the game and a couple moments (the throwback to OOT when you enter the Temple of Time dungeon the first time) along with Midna because she's probably the best sidekick in the series.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2015, 09:36 AM
  #25
FieryTherrien
Quadruple high five
 
FieryTherrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Look up. Waaaaaay up
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiesOfArcadia View Post
I'm surprised P3 would be overrated. It has its vocal minority, but nowhere near as plentiful as P4.
It was the only SMT game I've ever played. I just couldn't get into it. The same 2 songs playing over and over didn't help.

FieryTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.